Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DiamDawg #1633056 06/16/19 06:31 PM
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
I was stationed in Hawaii for 3 years. Didnt get to see much of the island til about a month before I got out of the Army. Had plenty of helicopter rides in Huey’s. The best was the night flights, seeing Waikiki all lit up. Spent 3 weeks on the big island, the volcano was actively spewing lava which was pretty cool. The runway we flew into was hot as hell, but when you looked up you could see snow at the top of the mountains.

Like a few people have said the locals dont like anyone thats not a local, me and my friends never had any problems.

DiamDawg #1633060 06/16/19 07:18 PM
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
jc

If your in Waikiki, its full of tourists and the bars are all super expensive; although, there is a dive bar there called "The Sandbox," its been 10 years or so since I was there...but the sandbox was a dive.....with cheap drinks compared to all the other bars in the area.....

I'll never forget it because I inquired about the mens room and the bartender handed me a set of keys and told me to walk out the front door and hang a left down the alley and the restroom is the third door on the right......but he warned me that whatever I do...don't go straight, you'll end up in a horrible place, emphasis on the "whore." There was a seedy strip joint down the alley, appropriately named, the alleycat……

Sandbox was alright though....

I wish to wash my Irish wristwatch......
DiamDawg #1633064 06/16/19 08:33 PM
T
Legend
Legend
T
After reading all of this it seems like Hawaii is a lot of trouble.

DiamDawg #1633377 06/17/19 03:03 PM
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Also, in Waikiki; once the sunsets.....the vice comes out....a lot of ppl trying to sell weed.....and if you're a single guy, walking alone, the hookers will start approaching you....

I wish to wash my Irish wristwatch......
THROW LONG #1633425 06/17/19 09:05 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
After reading all of this it seems like Hawaii is a lot of trouble.

You’re incorrect on your assumption. Just like any other state in the union Hawaii has its foibles. There’s good and bad. Rich and poor. Mansions on the coast. Homeless on some beaches.
Travel anywhere in the country you’ll find the same... different accents, different climates, different landscapes. The same people just trying to get by. Live there lives. Raise their kids. Etc.
The difference? Hawaii offers vistas unlike any in the continental US. It’s breathtaking. While the US has ‘granted it’ statehood it hasn’t completely whitewashed it. There's still some of its pacific island culture intact. If you seek it you can into it and have some very ‘Hawaiian’ experiences. Not just a resort luau.
As to the locals not caring much for tourists. I’ve been called a haole (pronounced howlie) a couple times. Well... I technically am. So. Life goes on. Another time I was not allowed on a bus once by a native driver. I had a collapsed fishing pole strapped to the side of my backpack. He saw it, said “no fishing poles”, closed the door and drove off. I’d seen others on busses with poles in the past. I question the ‘rule’. So... oh well. No bus. One of the cool things about the islands, hitchhiking is a legit mode of transportation. It’s very widely used. Especially on Kauai. So I stuck my thumb out and had a ride into town within 3 or 4 cars that drove by. Nice guy. He was a local. So there’s that.
Don’t act a fool or be disrespectful and there’s no issues.
As to Waikiki. It’s a big city. Find one anywhere without similar problems and I’ll move tomorrow.

[Linked Image]
DiamDawg #1633903 06/20/19 01:08 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
I was just looking at the lonely planet website and saw this.

You can scroll to the Hawaii video.

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/honeymoon-and-romance

It sums up what we already said, but with video. wink

There is probably a lot of other great info on that site about Hawaii.

I miss the Lonely Planet TV show from 20 years ago.
It was very inspiring.

Travel Channel sucks these days.

No Craps Given
DiamDawg #1634041 06/20/19 04:26 PM
D
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Here’s where I’m at ... first ... THANKS TO ALL ... thumbsup

Oahu is out .... yeeehaaa ...

Looks like next October ... least expensive times appear to be end of April through May and end of sept through October ... our reception is in August (good catch Y-town .. *L* ... ) ... so October is best in that regards .... we’re getting married this fall or November .. depends on my nephews school schedule and when he can get away ...

So now its down to 2 or 3 islands ... were spending either 10 or 12 days actually in Hawaii ... 2 days on either end for travel ...

So do we do 3 islands in 12 days ... 4 - 4 - 4 ... in 10 days that seems like it would be way to rushed ... even the 4 - 4 - 4 seems to rushed ... what do ya’all think? ... thoughts? ...

Do we do two islands and see more of them and have more “free” days or do we cram in 3 islands ...

How did u guys tour the actual islands ... did u do tours, like for the volcano ... for entire islands ... or did u just go see everything on your own .. did u do any snorkeling tours or just talk to the locals and go rent some equipment and go out on your own? ... did u do a dinner cruise? ...

What did ya’all actually do and how much was “official” tours or just driving around and exploring on your own or a combo ... if a combo please give details ... .

Pricing it our with 2 travel agents and on my own ... open to hotels, condo’s or airBnb or any combo ...

Any suggestions in that regard? ...

THANKS AGAIN TO EVERYONE PITCHING IN ... APPRECIATE IT .. thumbsup

DiamDawg #1634048 06/20/19 05:25 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I’d stick to two islands. 4-6 days per. Lets you get settled in without getting ‘bored’. While island hopping is quick it’s still time spent going to and from an airport. Waiting. Flying. Etc. The less of that the better... more beach time.

Rent a car. Kauai is small. Very small. A car gives you options and shrinks the island to easy day trips.

If you go to Maui take the time to snorkel the Molokini Crater. It’s a great day spent. I used Maui Snorkel Charters out of Kihei They have a smaller boat than the other companies. Fewer people. More personalized service. The bigger boats may have nicer amenities but they’re also crowded. These guys were fun, knowledgeable, and worth the expenditure.

In general I don’t do many tours and such. I’m not much of a ‘joiner’. I prefer venturing out on my own. Trip Advisor is a great reference for finding things to do. I’d really advise checking it out.

As to finding lodging. VRBO.com is a really good place to look. Trip Advisor also has reviews of resorts and hotels big and small.

Keep digging on your own. My guess is you’ll find the right place without help from a travel agent.

[Linked Image]
DiamDawg #1634049 06/20/19 05:36 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Maui is bigger. I’d look to spend a day or two more there. If you have the time rent an overnight stay on the north shore. Rent a convertible and drive the road to Hana. It’s one of the most beautiful drives in the world. Stunning. Curvy. Awe inspiring views. It’s just slow driving and is a long round trip from anywhere on the island. If you find a place to overnight you can spend more time... and it’s time we’ll spent. Look up Maui’s bamboo forest... tell me that’s not amazing. Great honeymoon stuff.

[Linked Image]
DiamDawg #1634051 06/20/19 05:45 PM
Legend
Legend
Congratulations my friend. laugh (and I hope your Mrs to be knows what she's getting into .....) rofl

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
DiamDawg #1634053 06/20/19 06:15 PM
E
Legend
Legend
E
I think the answer to your question can only be answered by you. It depends on your preferred travel style.

I have done both routes, were we rented a car and planned the details, and other times we just did a generic bus tour.

It was fun both ways. We got to see plenty of sights both ways.

The only thing with the tours is you might spend time doing things that you arent interested in. For example, we went to a macadamia nut farm. Because that is the source of the nuts. I didnt find it terribly interesting. Neither was the kona coffee stuff. (They took us to a giftshop and not an actual coffee bean farm) But other parts of the tour rocked. Lots of stops around the volcano, all kinds of interesting things to see as I enjoy the geothermal things.

No Craps Given
Dave #1634160 06/21/19 09:53 AM
D
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Dave
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Originally Posted By: EveDawg

If you know anyone who lives in Hawaii, get them to book your hotel. Because there is the tourist rate and the cheaper local rate. wink

Thanks Eve ... thats awesome to know ... as i get close to booking if i decide to go the hotel route ... u may see a thread asking who knows someone in Hawaii that would book my rooms for me .... i’d take them and there’s out to dinner or do something else for them while i was there to show my appreciation ..

So you’ve only gone to Oahu on your trips over other than the one side trip to the big isle? ..

U must really love Oahu ...

Thanks for all the tips on things to do on Oahu ... appreciate your time ... thumbsup

He hasn't been around for quite a while, but we had a poster named Heldawg who listed his location as Kailua, Hawaii. There's an email addy on his member page, so I'm assuming his wouldn't mind hearing from other posters ...

https://www.dawgtalkers.net/ubbthreads.php/users/647/heldawg

If you contact him, tell him to drop in some time to say hi. He was a pretty entertaining poster, I thought.

Great idea Dave .... i went and looked and couldn’t find his e-mail addy ...

Am i missing something? ... if anyone can help me find it that’d be great ...

Thanks Dave ... thanks for the idea .. thumbsup

DiamDawg #1634212 06/21/19 02:21 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
J/C

I don't think I would like to do 4-4-4. To me, I would feel like I spent the entire trip packing and unpacking, and traveling.

Pick 2 islands, and enjoy your time my friend!

willitevachange #1634213 06/21/19 02:27 PM
D
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
How many times u been there? ... when i want info in Mexico I’ll be in touch ... til then get back in your dang lane ... *LOL* ...

I know its the smart thing to do .. but i wanna see things on 3 islands ... I really really really really wanna see them ... u feelin me dawg ... *L* ...

DiamDawg #1634214 06/21/19 02:30 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
How many times u been there? ... when i want info in Mexico I’ll be in touch ... til then get back in your dang lane ... *LOL* ...

I know its the smart thing to do .. but i wanna see things on 3 islands ... I really really really really wanna see them ... u feelin me dawg ... *L* ...

all the power to you my man. I just hate the traveling aspect of traveling. I hate packing and flying. I love to visit places - just hate having to get there lol.

willitevachange #1634224 06/21/19 04:09 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: willitevachange

all the power to you my man. I just hate the traveling aspect of traveling. I hate packing and flying. I love to visit places - just hate having to get there lol.

rofl rofl rofl

Ya just couldn't have said that any better. thumbsup

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Hawaii

Link Copied to Clipboard