C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Then why didn't they try and remove every group listed in the law?

Come on arch, you can do better than that can't you?

I have no damn idea. Lest you forget, I have skin in this game.

But, isn't lynching illegal, no matter what? I mean, murder is illegal. Can you answer, yes or no: Is murder illegal?

Or, is lynching illegal?

Thanks for your yes or no answer.

Lynching is illegal as it's murder, but extra crimes are added because if by going by the letter of the law, not everyone in a lynch mob is a murderer. Many would be charged with accessory to murder. That is at most a 15 year sentence. A hate crime that involves kidnapping or murder is a life sentence. That is why hate crimes are good protections for marginalized communities. we

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
I don't know that's driving some of the replies. I just think people look at the surface of things but are rarely willing to dive into the water.

Why, what would people find in the water that can't be seen from the surface?

I actually gave you the perfect answer to this question. If the water is clear you can see below the water. If the water has been muddied you would have to go below the surface to find things you can't see or find from the surface.

That's why they have to send divers into the water to find bodies that have drowned.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I don't know that's driving some of the replies. I just think people look at the surface of things but are rarely willing to dive into the water.

Why, what would people find in the water that can't be seen from the surface?

I actually gave you the perfect answer to this question. If the water is clear you can see below the water. If the water has been muddied you would have to go below the surface to find things you can't see or find from the surface.

That's why they have to send divers into the water to find bodies that have drowned.

I will give this one more go... you said:

Quote:

I asked you what I would see if I dove into the water or looked below the surface...

And you have turned it into a discussion about scuba diving...

So... one last time... as it relates to lynching gays and blacks, what is below the surface that people aren't seeing?

yebat' Putin
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Well that's nothing close to the way you worded the question. But I thought the answer was obvious. Let's look at who was to be protected.

Quote:
The anti-lynching bill, introduced in June by the Senate’s three black members — Sen. Cory Booker, D-N.J., Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., and Sen. Tim Scott, R-S.C.— applies to lynchings motivated by a victim’s “actual or perceived religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability.”

What should have been so obvious, yet many of the responses refused to address, (even those with "skin in the game"), is that once again the only group this evangelical group opposed as being in the bill were LGBTQ people.

They weren't opposing the bill itself. Instead, they targeted a particular subset of people who they seem to feel do not deserve equal protection. Yet the surface replied that it shouldn't be a law. Somehow it was glossed over what the intent of this group was making as their target.

And to a larger degree, we see it on here all the time. We see it on social media all the time. We see it coming from politicians all the time. There will be an actual problem that needs to be addressed. But rather than look deeply into such problems they lash out at one another. They distract and use a bait and switch con game to place the focus elsewhere rather than actually admit and address an issue.

Sometimes, often times actually, we have to look far beyond the noise to see what is actually going on and what can be done to solve it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A

What should have been so obvious, yet many of the responses refused to address, (even those with "skin in the game"), is that once again the only group this evangelical group opposed as being in the bill were LGBTQ people.

Did I really need to discuss it?

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
It appears not. I would however have thought since you did comment in the thread this may have been one thing that would have stood out to you. But once again, it appears not.

Last edited by PitDAWG; 06/18/19 01:57 PM.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
Darn right.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
They weren't opposing the bill itself. Instead, they targeted a particular subset of people who they seem to feel do not deserve equal protection.

then why aren't you advocating for all of the groups that are NOT included, if your intention is to argue based on who deserves "equal protection"?

yebat' Putin
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Yeah, that's kind of skirting the issue. But that's common practice here.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

And that's avoiding the question. Which is also common practice here.

If it's about "equal protection" then why are there groups not included?

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Because the evidence says the group you’re referring to is typically the ones in control doing the discriminating.

Equality always feels like oppression to those in control.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
Then why didn't they try and remove every group listed in the law?

Come on arch, you can do better than that can't you?

I have no damn idea. Lest you forget, I have skin in this game.

But, isn't lynching illegal, no matter what? I mean, murder is illegal. Can you answer, yes or no: Is murder illegal?

Or, is lynching illegal?

Thanks for your yes or no answer.

Lynching is illegal as it's murder, but extra crimes are added because if by going by the letter of the law, not everyone in a lynch mob is a murderer. Many would be charged with accessory to murder. That is at most a 15 year sentence. A hate crime that involves kidnapping or murder is a life sentence. That is why hate crimes are good protections for marginalized communities. we

If actual sentencing reflected the severity of the crime, we wouldn't need the extra bills that basically say murder is illegal. Besides, the most recent recorded lynching was 1981. Why are they pushing this bill?

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P

And that's avoiding the question. Which is also common practice here.

If it's about "equal protection" then why are there groups not included?

You haven't even addressed the my entire last post to you. That's called "bait and switch". A common practice.

You never even attempted to address the fact that they wished to exclude gay people from the bill. So I'll tell you what, you address my post to you first, since that's the order they were posted in, then I'll address yours.

Let's try this again, shall we?

Quote:

They weren't opposing the bill itself. Instead, they targeted a particular subset of people who they seem to feel do not deserve equal protection. Yet the surface replied that it shouldn't be a law. Somehow it was glossed over what the intent of this group was making as their target.

Then we get to exactly what you were trying to do. Thanks for giving the perfect example of it BTW wink

Quote:
They distract and use a bait and switch con game to place the focus elsewhere rather than actually admit and address an issue.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish
Because the evidence says the group you’re referring to is typically the ones in control doing the discriminating.

Equality always feels like oppression to those in control.

Maybe, I don't feel oppressed.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:
You haven't even addressed the my entire last post to you. That's called "bait and switch". A common practice.

So like you trying to muddy this up with your post about some equivalence with the abortion laws?

Quote:

Because they view LGBTQ as sinful behavior, they view it as a choice.. unlike your national origin or your race, etc.. and they have always fought against including them in "protected class" recognition. So this seems to be pretty much in keeping with their previous efforts.

yebat' Putin
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
You do understand they used religion as a reason to promote slavery and racist laws as well, right?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
You do understand they used religion as a reason to promote slavery and racist laws as well, right?

Of course.

I also understand that if I had used Rosa Parks and the Greensboro sit in folks in an analogy with a well-off white attorney from suburban Denver in 2019, your buddies on the left would have pounced on that like flies on horse crap... but you take folks who risk their lives, the safety of their community and their family, jail time... and compare that to an attorney who can't get the cake they want for their perfectly legal gender transition.... and none of them say a word... odd.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: jfanent
THE GAYS ARE COMING TO EAT OUR CHILDREN

I knew it!

And you haven’t hid them away?

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
It's because while the risk factor may be different, the fight against discrimination is the same. In every case, they sought it out and opposed it. In every case religion was used to inflict that discrimination.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
Originally Posted By: jfanent
THE GAYS ARE COMING TO EAT OUR CHILDREN

I knew it!

And you haven’t hid them away?

That's what 'out of the closet' means.
wink

"too many notes, not enough music-"
J
Legend
Legend
J

Mississippi wedding venue cites 'Christian belief' in refusing interracial couple

JACKSON, Miss. – An interracial Mississippi couple was turned away from a wedding venue with the owner citing her refusal based on her "Christian beliefs." The owner of the venue has since apologized, saying she was raised to believe interracial marriage was an "understood subject."

In a now-viral video posted on Facebook on Saturday by LaKambria Welch, an unidentified woman can be heard saying, in part, "we don't do gay weddings or mixed-raced (weddings) because of our Christian race, I mean our Christian belief."

With the 2016 passage of House Bill 1523, Mississippi businesses are allowed to deny services based on their religious views. The bill also prevents government intervention when churches or businesses act "based upon or in a manner consistent with a sincerely held religious belief or moral conviction." The bill was primarily directed at sexual orientation and same-sex marriage. Race was not a part of the legislation.

According to multiple media reports, Welch went to Boone's Camp Event Hall in Booneville on Saturday with her mother after finding out the venue would not host her brother, who is black, and his fianceé, who is white.

In the video, Welch begins to ask the woman, "Well, we're Christians as well so, what in the Bible tells you that," but the woman interrupts her, saying, "Well, I just don't want to argue my faith.

"We just don't participate, we just choose not to," she said.

Welch could not be reached for comment Tuesday, and the video is no longer publicly available on her Facebook page. Calls to Boone's Camp Event Hall went unanswered. According to the Mississippi Secretary of State's website, the space is registered to David and Donna Russell of Booneville.

Boone's Camp Event Hall has since deleted their Facebook page but not before they posted an apology and said, after researching, they found that the woman's views on interracial marriage were unfounded.

In two screenshots obtained by WCBI-TV in Columbus, Mississippi, the event hall posted an apology, saying in part, "as a child growing up in Mississippi, our racial boundaries that were unstated were that of staying in your own race."

In the post, the woman said her husband asked her where the Bible mentioned "biracial relationships." After spending the weekend looking for it and consulting her pastor, the woman said she realized her beliefs were "incorrect," saying, "As my Bible reads, there are two requirements for marriage and race has nothing to do with either!"

The woman then apologized for her "ignorance in not knowing the truth."

"My intent was never of racism but to stand firm on what I 'assumed' was right concerning marriage," she said.

It was not clear whether the woman had reached out to Welch or the couple to apologize.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati...ple/2198769001/

Legend
Legend
hope your girl aint black or hispanic, Jules! then you're double screwed!

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
J
Legend
Legend
J
hope your girl aint black or hispanic, Jules! then you're double screwed!

If she were a transgender black or hispanic girl I might hit the trifecta!

Legend
Legend
rofl

thumbsup

Legend
Legend
It amazes me how many people use Christianity to spread hate... don't think jesus ever said anything against interracial marriage or even homosexuality... last I checked jesus said to love God and love our neighbors....

<><

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
They do and that was the biggest reason why I turned away from religion.

On the other hand, I think that are a huge number of people who like to report the negative stories of religious people while ignoring the positive stories. Thus, in turn...........those types of people lose my support, as well.

I think it is best to judge individuals as individuals rather than assigning labels to entire groups of people. I may have said that one to a thousand times before. LOL

Legend
Legend
I agree... there are many great 'religious' stories out there...

I feel like I'm s fairly strong Christian... still learning and by no means perfect.... I get so frustrated by religious nuts who hide behind religion while professing hate...

<><

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Not sure if my opinion means anything to you, jay............but, for what it's worth.......I think you are a good dude. You seem sincere. I don't agree w/all your takes, but I think you come from a good place.

In my opinion, there are religious folks who give religion a bad name. However, I think there are a ton of really good religious folks who make the world a better place.

I am not religious. However, I would never bash a person for being part of that sect. I think you should never be embarrassed or discouraged by the words of people hating on religious folks such as yourself and just keep on "keeping on" trying to live a better life. Don't let the haters get you down, bro. I have a lot of respect for guys like you.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have faith in God, and believe that there are prophets.

Religion is another subject. It creates as many problems as it solves.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: jaybird
I agree... there are many great 'religious' stories out there...

I feel like I'm s fairly strong Christian... still learning and by no means perfect.... I get so frustrated by religious nuts who hide behind religion while professing hate...

You are not alone, my friend.
We are legion... and a good many of us aren't Sunday-go-to-meetin' type folk. But we are here.

Speaking truthfully, I'd actually seek out a church with slogans like this on its front lawn:

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
Interesting.

Yup, it is interesting

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I agree that many who are religious and many who belong to a religion are good people and that religion does a lot of good in the world.

But when it comes to the individual as you described it, I think by and large that holds true. Sometimes not so much when it comes to religion.

You can look at the teachings of ones religion to tell you the story. Does the religion they follow preach exclusion of homosexuals? Does it teach denying women reproductive rights? There are other topics I could touch on but I think you get my meaning here.

I was raised to believe that what a person says isn't nearly as important as what a person does. When a person contributes, supports and joins in with a religion that professes and spreads such messages, I feel that speaks louder than anything else.

#gmstrong
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Evangelical group wants gays removed from anti-lynching bill

Link Copied to Clipboard