Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
E
Legend
Legend
E
Teams aren't about Individuals...it about the whole working together. There is only one INDIVIDUAL PLAYER that makes the whole thing work on offense and defense...that is the QB. Anyone else is just a piece of the puzzle...We can survive.

Peppers' talent will be missed but I think that can be appeased by players who know their job and play it to the hilt making the Defense on the whole a thing of beauty.

GW, actually I'm happy to hear that Wilkes is an attack DC as well. Fortunately I think we have actually improved our overall talent on the Defense so that anyone can late out a game plan and it will be successful!
jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

I am not "worried" about the install being slow to mesh. That seems like melodrama to me.

I just question installing the Air Raid offense. Not sure I am a fan. I could be wrong about that, though.

I just liked the offense we ran when Freddie took over last year. I thought it was creative, played to our strengths, and was a good fit for Baker.

I did as well, but it was still Haleys O that was modified week by week by Freddie.

I don't mind components of the "Air Raid", it plays to Bakers strength. I don't think we are going to be throwing the ball 55 times a game. It's a work in progress. Call it the North Coast O. I don't know how well Freddie and Monken will work together, but I think we will be happy with the end result. I hope so anyway, as I know you do as well.

Football evolves. Lets hope we evolve it to something special. Heck, we ran some wishbone and inverted wishbone. We may go back to some of that. The wishbone was a good scheme, but you have to have the right players. The immobile QBs the NFL favored didn't allow it to be run in the late 60's and 70's.

No doubt it has to be modified. You don't want to run your QB 15 times a game and get hit another 30 times a game, but as a change of pace, brilliant!

My attitude is lets see how things are looking in late August after 6-7 weeks of team practice. Three day with the entire team and a few day here and there with partial participation don't tell the story.....and I know you didn't say it did

Sure, the air-raid is great. We can play out of the gun every single play. Chubb can ride the pine and we just throw every down. Woohoo. That will work great in November and December on the grass outside in Cleveland. There is one immutable fact in the AFC North. You BETTER be able to run the football. Of course, passing the ball is ever more important in the new NFL. But it still stands. If the Browns can't or worse refuse to run the ball? They will lose a LOT this year.

We had a really good run/pass percentage once Kitchens took over last year. I had hoped that meant we would do the same this year. If it ain't broke why change? Add TO what we did last year. But no, whole new offense. Air-raid here we come.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: mac

Report of Todd Monken having issues with Cleveland Browns is nonsense

by
Pete Smith
20 hrs
link

After a report that new offensive coordinator Todd Monken was having issues fitting in with the Cleveland Browns, Jarvis Landry scoffed at the notion when asked. There is a fundamental understanding what Todd Monken was hired to do with the Browns

When asked about a report that new Cleveland Browns offensive coordinator Todd Monken was having difficulty fitting in his role under Freddie Kitchens and the team in general, Jarvis Landry was at first confused before scoffing at the notion.

Much of the disconnect on this topic seems to be a misunderstanding of what Todd Monken was actually hired to do. Monken was hired to add to the offense Kitchens runs as well as try to make it more efficient. He was not hired to come in and install and run a new one.

Certainly, he will have some impact on how and what Kitchens will do this coming season in terms of their scheme, but it's still Kitchens' offense and Kitchens is the one who is going to be calling the plays.

Monken's value will be shown in how he breaks down and gameplans against opponents and the feedback he's able to provide during the game as well as just acting as a sounding board to bounce ideas of off. The goal is to help Kitchens cut down and eliminate zero or negative play calls while trying to add more explosive ones.

For the time being, it makes a ton of sense for Kitchens to do most of the heavy lifting in teaching and running meetings. After all, who would know more about his offense than he does? Monken is still going to do those things, but it may not be as much as he will when the Browns get on a more regular schedule.

When the Browns start playing games, Kitchens will have more demands on his time and ability to do these types of things. Kitchens has to make sure he knows what's going on with the defense, special teams and roster decisions. That's not including choices Kitchens has to make on day to day operations and other responsibilities.

Everything about this report seems contrived. At best, it's failing to understand what Monken was hired to do. At worst, it's an attempt to sew discord and doubt around the Browns by someone with less than honest intentions.

Regardless, this isn't a big deal. It's a nothing deal, which is how Landry reacted to it. Monken is doing the job he was hired to do and there's little reason to think that will change between now and the regular season.
This is Pete Smith for Browns Maven

Please let this be true! I have no desire to see the air-raid here in Cleveland. Chubb is a great back and he will only get better this year. We need to feed him the ball and that means Baker under center sometimes. Kitchens offense was good last year. We threw the ball AND ran the ball well. That needs to continue and grow... Baker was great under center last year. Considering he never played that way in college it was great to see.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:
Sure, the air-raid is great. We can play out of the gun every single play. Chubb can ride the pine and we just throw every down. Woohoo. That will work great in November and December on the grass outside in Cleveland. There is one immutable fact in the AFC North. You BETTER be able to run the football. Of course, passing the ball is ever more important in the new NFL. But it still stands. If the Browns can't or worse refuse to run the ball? They will lose a LOT this year.

We had a really good run/pass percentage once Kitchens took over last year. I had hoped that meant we would do the same this year. If it ain't broke why change? Add TO what we did last year. But no, whole new offense. Air-raid here we come.

You clearly didn't read what I said based on that reply. If you are going to comment on what I said, at least give me the courtesy of reading my words.

You somehow left out where I don't want to be throwing 55 times a game or running our QB 15 times a game.

Be stale. I like fresh.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Like I said, I don't mind a air raid...maybe we go with a similar concept a series or two a quarter of half.

You have change of pace backs. Why not change of pace offensive scheme? Keep 'em off balance.

I embrace new things....well, not the new democratic party, but that belongs in a different forum.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree. Freddie is innovative. Other than Freddie, who else has run a wishbone in a long while. Somebody told Bake to toss the ball up to himself on a fake reverse...that's old school stuff

Baker is a air raid player. No reason why Monken can't install some of that to make us even more potent.

When it meshes, we will have our north coast offense. Monken is a city boy from Wheaton, Illinois. Freddie is a redneck boy from Gadsden, Alabama.

Two sides to a coin.

Note....for you non southerners….redneck doesn't mean racist or anything like that. I consider myself a redneck, and am about as non-racist as can be...Freddie is a redneck boy, no getting around that. I am viewed as a conservative, and I am, all the way. My friend Pit is way more liberal, but guess what, just like me, we are rednecks.

I am way more comfortable dancing in some 2-step honky tonk saloon, but can dance just fine at the black tie affair the local fine arts fund is throwing. I would rather just send a check, but the wife wants to go...often enough it made sense to just buy my own tux rather than rent. It's hanging in a bag, waiting for the next usage.

That said, I don't think Pit can dance anywhere without a group of people trying to attend to him for fear he was in seizure.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
So what does redneck mean? This northerner is curious.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
It's a shot at poor people who make a living doing labour jobs.... farming, fishing, working in the woods. Bending down and forward in the hot sun, getting a sunburn on your neck.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
L
Legend
Legend
L
It's not really about stupid hillbillies.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
It's a shot at poor people who make a living doing labour jobs.... farming, fishing, working in the woods. Bending down and forward in the hot sun, getting a sunburn on your neck.

That is a good start, though it doesn't exclusively include poor folk. It also includes people who believe in a hand shake. People who have your back.

Back during the election cycle I was up in Cleveland for a game. I always rent a car when I come up and this time I had a car with a Georgia tag. I am sure my normal Tennessee tag would have done the same for this woman. The traffic was heavy and slow. The car next to me started honking the horn. I rolled down the window as she wanted to say something. When I did she started cussing telling me to go back to Georgia and never come back. LOL...I told her I grew up in Cleveland and would come back whenever I wanted, then smiled and waved at her. She kept saying something, I just rolled up the window and smiled.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Thanks!

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
All Pro
All Pro

It's more than that. My great grandad was a miner before he went to work in the steel mills. He said it was a common practice for the miners to wear red bandannas when they were going to a picket line so they could tell who was who. They did that at Blair Mountain. It was a "redneck army".

Hillbillies tend to get riled up over things that normal people would probably let slide a bit more. They get mad and just can't let things go until it turns into open warfare with aerial bombardment and machine gunners in fixed positions.

I had a fellow take a jab at me one evening at a fancy party in Palm Beach. He called me a "redneck". When I politely corrected him by telling him the proper term for someone like me was "hillbilly" you would have thought I just pulled a knife on him or something. We wound up becoming great friends.

None of that has a darned thing to do with football.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Blair_Mountain

https://www.jstor.org/stable/25474784?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

"Let people think this is a dumpster fire," - Mike Pettine
P
Legend
Legend
P
I will have to say you're pretty much right about my dancing skills. Or lack there of.

wink

But one thing you said about the difference between Monkin and Freddie had me just a tad puzzled.
The population of Gadsdon Alabama is 35,409. The population of Wheaton Illinois is 53,373.

I'm not sure that is a good comparison for one being a city boy and one being a country boy.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:
But one thing you said about the difference between Monkin and Freddie had me just a tad puzzled.
The population of Gadsdon Alabama is 35,409. The population of Wheaton Illinois is 53,373.

I'm not sure that is a good comparison for one being a city boy and one being a country boy.

Wheaton, IL is an outer suburb of Chicago... Gadsden, AL is over an hour away from the next biggest city, which is Birmingham...

Regardless of the number of folks who live within the borders, Wheaton is a lot more "city" than is Gadsden...

yebat' Putin
B
Legend
Legend
B
I was just going to say....it's one of the more densely populated areas in the country.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:

Wheaton, IL is an outer suburb of Chicago... Gadsden, AL is over an hour away from the next biggest city, which is Birmingham...

Regardless of the number of folks who live within the borders, Wheaton is a lot more "city" than is Gadsden...

Pit didn't know....no big deal.

Chattanooga is about 85 miles from Gadsden. The only city between us, with a metro population of a little over 500,000 people, which includes north Georgia since we sit on the state line is Gadsden. The only town of size between us and Gadsden is Ft. Payne, Ala…..maybe 15,000 people. Ft Payne is where the band Alabama grew up, and still live. Gadsden is about 60-70 miles from Birmingham.

I know my mileages. My sister lives near Montgomery. I have driven down maybe every 6-8 weeks to visit for over 30 years. Heck, maybe more.

I can't say I have ever been to Gadsden other that seeking out the Golden Arches off the exit early in the morning....I have stopped there maybe 100 times over the years.

It's a good first stop to get rid of the home coffee, grab another cup and grab a Egg McMuffin. I don't like to eat early in the morning. I like to wait a while. Gadsden is while enough.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...thought I would put this here.

Looks like things are meshing pretty good...loved this video!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=Ryh87mkw7Mc

We got to be the only team with two TEs from Princeton!

Did I read that right but it seems Kitchens likes Carlson our rookie TE from Princeton.

Strong #10 doesn't look like he's going to last, looks like he is giving up because of the competition here!

Loved the way Kitchens laid into the OL for letting an "A" gap blitz come in untouched! Could have been a RB he was PO'd at???

I like this staff, looks like they are on the same page!

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Offensive Install Transition Slow to Mesh

Link Copied to Clipboard