Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
V
Legend
Legend
V
I agree.

I remember when I was in my 20s and I'm not sure this is still a thing, but these dudes were training Pit Bulls to kill. They would hang pieces of meat from swing sets the damn dogs would dangle for hours. The idea was to strengthen their jaws. I told them they were f.... punks. Your dog don't make you bad. And guns don't make you bad, either. Just punks looking for trouble, but who would probably squeal as soon as you grab them by the throat.

I have guns. I keep them at home in case someone breaks into the house. But, I would never carry in public.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I kind of disagree.

"Carrying for safety." is just a plot point in a narrative.

Most people I know who have CCW are just nerdy about guns. There's a whole gun geek culture. And they like to carry their guns around.

I have a gun. I don't carry because it's not that type of gun. But it doesn't make me feel big bad and tough when I go to the range to shoot it.

I'm not really a gun geek or a tough girl, for me it's more like a video game. Can I hit the target, and how far away can I be accurate.

Honestly, carrying a gun would be a scary experience for me. Because if you carry, then you need to be prepared to use it on someone.

And that's a HUGE leap. Once I'm not sure I could take. I rather just avoid trouble.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
i dont want this to be taken the wrong way, but i think culturally its different for guys than it is women in this country.

i support women carrying and even encourage it to a point. the unfortunate reality is that women are far far more likely to actually have to protect themselves than men are, from a variety of threats.

so i have to disagree with you because i think its fairly safe to say that women overall do not view guns in the same light as men do in this country.

its not women doing the mass shootings, or doing drive bys, or waving around their guns in public cause "they have the right to".

its far and away the men doing those things.

Last edited by Swish; 08/24/19 11:16 PM.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
A
Legend
Legend
A
Dogs don't make you "bad", and neither do guns.

And, especially for me, carrying doesn't make me feel "bad".

I don't carry so I can be a bully, OR a protector of anyone other than myself, and my family. I don't carry so I can look for bad guys to shoot. I don't carry to protect you.

This comment of yours is part of the reason most ccw holders carry:
Quote:
Just punks looking for trouble, but who would probably squeal as soon as you grab them by the throat.

I know you are a self proclaimed tough guy. And that's cool with me. I am not a 'tough' guy. (read into that what you may)

But, based on your quote, it appears to me you think you're tough because you would strangle someone?

(see how I took your words, and translated them into a headline? While it wasn't your intent to say you'd strangle anyone, that's what I turned it into. Hmmmmmmmmmmm. I used your words.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
if you carry, then you need to be prepared to use it on someone.

Truth!

I have no problem beating the crap out of someone, but there is no way I would want to kill someone unless I absolutely had to. Even then, I would feel bad.

That is why I keep my guns in the home. If you break in and I have to defend my family........so be it. But no way in the world am I going to add to the odds of killing another human being by packing.

Beat your ass? Yes. Kill you? No.

E
Legend
Legend
E
We will have to agree to disagree.

I know women who carry.

I have a lot of family who are into guns. (men)

Tomorrow I have to take the scary marta train to the other side of town to meet the soccer player.

Every time I take this train, questionable characters come up to me. It's rather nerve wracking. But I know how to deal with them.

And I still don't feel the need to carry a gun.

No Craps Given
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:

Truth!

I have no problem beating the crap out of someone, but there is no way I would want to kill someone unless I absolutely had to. Even then, I would feel bad.

That is why I keep my guns in the home. If you break in and I have to defend my family........so be it. But no way in the world am I going to add to the odds of killing another human being by packing.

So, you'd use a gun to kill someone that broke into your home, but you'd use your fists if someone was going to kill you outside of your home? Do I have that right?

V
Legend
Legend
V
Decent point, arch. But, I have never claimed to be perfect.

I have my strengths and weaknesses just like everyone else.

I don't believe in carrying. That doesn't mean I am right.

I also don't believe in this new-found talk of people believing they can run their mouths w/out repercussions. Hell, I have seen it on here. People will call another person name after name after name. They will attack a person repeatedly. And when the other person has finally had enough and said..........."let's get it on," they cry about the guy being threatening.

I grew up in era that if you ran your mouth too much, someone would shut it. I grew up in an era where no matter how bad you were, someone was badder. I ran my mouth a few times and some dudes taught me a lesson. I learned. I, in turn, taught others the same lessons. Run your mouth and risk getting it busted.

One can say that is the wrong way to look at things, but I disagree. Too many folks run their mouths w/out fear of the repercussions. And arch............I prefer fists to guns.

Let's say you and I meet and get into it. We go out to the parking lot and put some knots on each other's heads. The winner takes the other dude back into the bar and buys him a beer and we are now better friends and we guaranteed have a better understanding of things. You shoot the other dude and multiple lives are ruined.

Fists over guns!!!

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
Quote:

Truth!

So, you'd use a gun to kill someone that broke into your home, but you'd use your fists if someone was going to kill you outside of your home? Do I have that right?

No, you don't have it right. I'm saying that I think carrying a gun increases the odds of you using it. I don't want to do that. You can do as you wish. I choose not to.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
Quote:

Truth!

No, you don't have it right. I'm saying that I think carrying a gun increases the odds of you using it. I don't want to do that. You can do as you wish. I choose not to.

I suppose for some, that might be true.

I'm talking about me. And carrying does not make me more apt to use it. At all. In fact, it does nothing for me as I'm trying to avoid a situation. But, when cornered, it's better than fists.

See, I'm not as 'tough' as you and swish seem to think you are. I'm not carrying to confront, I'm carrying to protect. You and swish can take your fists and beat the hell out of a guy robbing you at gun point. Kudos. I'll be the guy standing 20 feet away saying "damn, those fists went down pretty quick when the gun came out."

V
Legend
Legend
V
Okay.............we have different takes. You do you. I'll do me.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Okay.............we have different takes. You do you. I'll do me.

Sounds good.

Legend
Legend
whats funny is that you honestly think the odds are good that something like that will happen.

it isn't. you carry cause it makes you feel safe.

thats an insecurity no matter how you justify it. so you can try to justify your insecurities with your gun point scenarios all you want.

atleast Vers and i aren't scared of our own shadows.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: Swish
whats funny is that you honestly think the odds are good that something like that will happen.

it isn't. you carry cause it makes you feel safe.

thats an insecurity no matter how you justify it. so you can try to justify your insecurities with your gun point scenarios all you want.

atleast Vers and i aren't scared of our own shadows.

Sure, carrying makes me feel safer. I'm not protecting you, or anyone else.

Vers said he had gun/s at home. I guess he isn't as tough at home as he is on the street? Is that what you're saying?

Hey, take a guess. On a monthly basis, how many days or hours do you think I carry? Make your best guess.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Oh, forgot. Scared of my own shadow? Please, stop with the nonsense.

Legend
Legend
The amount of times you carry doesn’t mean anything. Lol I dunno what point you’re trying to make with that. You still carry to make you feel safe.

I don’t care about anybody having guns at home. I REALLY don’t care as it relates to this topic because we aren’t talking about guns overall, just CCW. You and Vers can continue down that rabbit hole on your own.

My own personal view is that people who carry have some underlying issues, whatever that may be. I want to reemphasize that I don’t want CCW to be removed. You want to do it, I support your right to.

I simply believe a lot of CCW carriers are lying to themselves and others as to why they do it. And it also highlights the bigger problem in this country that we even have people who feel the need to carry in the first place.

But hey, if it makes you feel empowered, go right ahead.

- Theodore Roosevelt
A
Legend
Legend
A
It doesn't make me feel 'empowered' the way I think you meant it.

You support my right to carry. That's all that needs to be said. How often I do, or don't, is nothing to you, as it should be.

If you and I were to meet, and a verbal altercation came up, I'd leave. Period. If the verbal altercation became you attempting to beat the hell out of me, things might change. And I use "you" figuratively, not literally.

Does that make sense?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
That's not a very good excuse for letting people walk around with a loaded gun that may have zero training.

Denying people the right to carry the gun because you or others would prefer them to take a course first is not a good excuse either.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Quote:
If you and I were to meet, and a verbal altercation came up, I'd leave. Period.

Yep. When carrying, you have a responsibility to avoid confrontations...and that was stressed heavily in the CCR training. Someone brought up the handicap parking shooter in Florida. That guy was found guilty and rightly so. You absolutely do not initiate a conflict when carrying.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Dawg Duty
I saw a guy open carry in Sams Club with his wife and kids. He didn't shoot anybody at least while I was there. I also was carrying . I have a CCW and also didn't shoot anybody
If it scares you Pit maybe you should stay home.

Your comprehension level fails as per usual.

To have a CCW permit, you had to go through a gun training class. According to GM, to open carry you don't have to have any training. To have people openly walking around in public carrying a gun with zero gun training is stupid. It's moronic.

I won't state my status when it comes to carrying a gun. What I will say is I feel no threat in public with other people carrying a gun.

Sometimes, when people find something troubling, it's not all about themselves. If you think people should be walking around with firearms strapped to their sides with no gun training at all, I hope nobody you love ever pays the price for some idiot not knowing how to handle a gun.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
That's not a very good excuse for letting people walk around with a loaded gun that may have zero training.

Denying people the right to carry the gun because you or others would prefer them to take a course first is not a good excuse either.

At some point there needs to be some sense of responsibility that considers the dangers that you pose to everyone around you.

Your position on this topic is a prime example of why all of us will lose many of the gun rights we currently have today.

Because there is no reasonable compromise for most gun owners. As such, you'll be leaving it up to the other side to do that for you. And you won't like it.

You have a safety course requirement for a CCW permit. The same standard should apply for open carry. It's common sense.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Ohio Considers Eliminating Concealed-Carry Permits

Link Copied to Clipboard