Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
The purpose is to save money -

1. He already bought the Tesla, so why are using any other number for any other car? My reason for questioning is that if hes trying to save money - he bought the wrong car to do so. He needs to go buy a Mitsubishi Mirage or something. . . .

The entire premise of buying the Tesla was to save money, and he would need to keep THAT car for about 15 years to do so. My math still holds up, give or take a year.

2. Tesla is not eligible for that Tax Credit anymore - I had members left and right coming to finance them at the end of last year, as they hit the threshold of sold units to qualify. If he gets the car before the end of the year, he MAY get 1875.00 credit.

Quote:
The Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Tax Credit is the main federal incentive program for electric cars available in the United States. Most electric cars are eligible for this tax credit, which reduces your federal tax burden by $7,500.

This tax credit has a “phase out” built into the program that is dependent on the manufacturer of the car. Once a manufacturer has sold 200,000 eligible electric cars, you won’t be able to use the tax credit when you buy an electric car from that manufacturer.

Based on current sales projections, most electric car manufacturers will still be eligible for this tax credit through 2019. A notable exception is Tesla – the company has reached the threshold where the tax credit has begun to step down. Only vehicles delivered by December 31, 3018 received the full credit. Vehicles delivered before June 30, 2019 received a credit of $3,750, those delivered between July 1, 2019 and December 31, 2019 will receive $1,875, and beyond that timeline no credit is available for Tesla.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I did not know the Tesla didn't qualify for the tax credit. But if you are going to take the full price of the Tesla into consideration, you would also have to take into account the price of any other car he would purchase.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I did not know the Tesla didn't qualify for the tax credit. But if you are going to take the full price of the Tesla into consideration, you would also have to take into account the price of any other car he would purchase.
I think you are missing my point, he is buying a second car to save money - that's not going to happen because of the car he purchased. I am not saying he wouldn't save money on ANOTHER car - I am saying he wouldn't save money on this car, the car he purchased. We are only talking about this car - there is no reason to talk about another car, he didn't purchase anything else, so you don't have to take into account another car, he didn't purchase another car.

If we were talking about him CONTEMPLATING purchase another car to save money, then yes we would take that car's price into consideration and compared it like you are saying. But again, hes not contemplating it, he bought it. Its awaiting delivery.

The OP said he bought a Tesla at 56K to save money. I pointed out he needs to keep it a period of time to do so. IDK what the oldest Tesla is, but I hope they last that long.

After Review : Tesla reports that their batteries and motors can last 20 years before being replaced ( I am skeptical of that), but lets say that's true. The vehicle should save him money if he keeps it that long. However, he has also already stated he likes to buy cars ALOT. So I would highly doubt hes going to keep this car that long. Daily drivers take a beating more so that any test car Tesla is trying to tout as well. also, im not sure how much a dealer charges to do work on a Tesla, but I bet its not cheap.

A
Legend
Legend
A
j/c

I have 2 uncles that have/had Tesla's. One of them got the model S. Had it for a year, then got rid of it. Didn't care for it. He's a very wealthy person.....the kind of guy that wants the latest and greatest of everything. Owns 7 corvettes, has, and has had, more BMW's and Mercedes that one could count. Porshe's, etc.

The other uncle got a model X. He 'likes' it, but doesn't drive it much. For whatever reason, his wife hates it.

Both uncles love vehicles (one quite a bit more than the other)

My non Tesla owning opinion is you don't buy a Tesla to save gas money. You buy it for the name. JMO.

Legend
Legend
there are legitimate reasons to own a tesla other than simply wanting the badge.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Swish
For the car guys I roll with, you basically just bought an electric version of the Chevy Cruze. Congrats, I guess.

This might be the sickest burn I've ever seen on here.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: Swish
there are legitimate reasons to own a tesla other than simply wanting the badge.

I'm sure there are. I didn't say otherwise.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I guess the point you bring up can only be answered by leadtheway.

You are correct that we would have to know if another car would have been purchased had he not have bought the Tesla. Many people buy a second, commuter type care. Only he could answer that question.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Any Tesla owners?

Link Copied to Clipboard