Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
This is my tinfoil hat theory and I am sticking with it.

Both of those thoughts in the same sentence is troubling.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

Last edited by willitevachange; 12/10/19 04:38 PM.
O
Legend
Legend
O
I'm not informed enough on McCarthy to contribute to a conversation about him, but I do recall a fair number of posters on here last offseason really not like the idea of him coming here.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
I'm not informed enough on McCarthy to contribute to a conversation about him, but I do recall a fair number of posters on here last offseason really not like the idea of him coming here.
I believe if I remember correctly, a lot of people said his offense was outdated and because of how it ended with Rogers.

He has spent by all accounts an entire year, putting together an entire new offense, with a staff already in place, and ready to go.

He also has ties to the FO, and has won a SB.

I think this would be an instant upgrade at the position, and he could come in and stabilize a very volatile locker room.

Are we going to hire him, IDK. Should we, IDK (I think we should). But he is def the TYPE of coach we need.

O
Legend
Legend
O
That sounds great and all, but there's got to be more to his exit from GB.

Also, while Dorsey working things around to get "his" guy a year after the fact sounds pretty plausible, McCarthy was available last offseason. If Dorsey wanted him, he could've had him. Hiring Freddie so McCarthy could chill for a year doesn't sound right to me.

I bring this up because of the alleged quote from Dorsey "I flexed my muscles and got what I wanted". I believe this was in reference to the org structure AND his preferred coach. You don't flex your muscles and then turn around a year later say "my guy wasn't any good, this is my guy now". That's a surefire way to get a guy like Haslam to start thinking about YOUR replacement.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
I bring this up because of the alleged quote from Dorsey "I flexed my muscles and got what I wanted". I believe this was in reference to the org structure AND his preferred coach. You don't flex your muscles and then turn around a year later say "my guy wasn't any good, this is my guy now". That's a surefire way to get a guy like Haslam to start thinking about YOUR replacement.

If your worth your salt as a GM, you need to man up to your mistakes and correct them. Sticking with a guy that is clearly over his head is the SUREFIRE way to lose your job, as your job ultimately depends on winning football games, and Freddie has not shown he can outcoach someone to win a game. IN fact, its been the opposite, we have won DESPITE Freddie blundering decisions.

M
Legend
Legend
M

That was pre-Freddie..... maybe those posters will feel differently now?

I don't think McCarthy as being excellent in any one area - or cutting edge - but to be honest i don't know that a team that is loaded at the skill positions like we are needs to be. My understanding is that he and Aaron Rogers fell out and clashed on play calling/offense - to me from the outside it looked like a failure at the GM level in GB .... Rodgers is a top 1-2-3 QB in the NFL ... failed to build a team around him that can win it all.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
https://www.12up.com/posts/video-mike-mc...rn-01dvpz7zt1rd

Former Green Bay Packers head coach Mike McCarthy hasn't lost his passion for the game during his sabbatical from the sideline. In fact, his interest in getting back in the ring is stronger than ever, as evidenced by a new NFL Network feature. McCarthy has assembled an whole mock coaching staff to go over film and review play-calling trends with a level of commitment and grind that suggests he may as well still be employed.

McCarthy, who went 143-87-2 with a Super Bowl ring in Green Bay, appears to have totally reinvented his playbook, which could go some ways towards erasing the unceremonious end of his tenure with the Packers.

McCarthy almost had a job lined up after he was let go in Green Bay, as the New York Jets brought him in for an interview before ultimately giving the job to Adam Gase.

They may be regretting that decision.

One of the criticisms of McCarthy was that his offense was too simplistic and that he was unwilling to adjust to fit the modern NFL. If he truly has turned over a new leaf and will come prepared with a more innovative offense this time around, every team with a head coach opening should be breaking down McCarthy's door in an attempt to get him to join them.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
With this thread about to be closed due to length...

Whoever makes the next thread, please spell our coach's last name as "Kitchens", without the apostrophe. Thank you.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: rastanplan
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
People keep repeating it was Haley's scheme. But if so, why did that scheme suck so bad when Haley was here? Then suddenly, it's like someone sprinkled fairy dust on it and it worked like magic?

OBJ has been injured since before the season started. Claiming you have to feed him to keep him happy is pure conjecture. Carrying out that thought..... Would you want a talented WR who was happy not getting the ball when he seemed open quite a bit?

When it comes to keeping Gregg Williams as HC and Freddie as OC, that was my preference.

Haley was the one who made the run offense work for the first time since a long long time. He was a great OC, IMHO.

And nobody sprinkled anything, we just fired Hue Jackson.
Our offense was garbage when Haley called the plays, and the second he and hue were outta here the offense soared. Lets not get revisionist history now.

Depends on what you call garbage... 0-16 team, tied with Pitt the first game, then lost to NO by 3, then won to the Jets, lost by 3 to Oakland, won to the Ravens, then lost to the Chargers and Bucs by 3.

Meanwhile he left with the Browns being on of the top 10 running offense in the NFL, and IMHO the decline in the Offense was more due to Hue's interference than Haley.

Haley wanted to develop Baker and lean on the Running game, which I agree was the best way. Fans didn't think so... that's why he has such a bad rep here.

He also wanted Carlos Hyde starting in front of Chubb, the best RB in the NFL, and as soon as he left our offense took off, by all accounts. Sorry, you have no leg to stand on here.

And Carlos Hyde was doing a good job and the OL was doing a good job.. so what is your point?

I'm sure Baker would be a much better QB right now if he had sit and develop,like Haley was doing.

Not saying Todd is a mastermind O guru, but was very competent.

Hyde was terrible last year, both here and in Jax. He was running at a 3.4 yards/rush clip here, and fell off to a 3.3 yards/rush pace in Jacksonville.

He's been goos this year, but he was not last year.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
When was the last time we had a non-losing season?
Fun fact: it was 12 years ago.

I only see 2 options at this point (barring a crazy firing that no one expected like Bill Belichick)

1. Keep Freddie for another year if we go 8-8 or better.
2. Kick the tires on Mike McCarthy and see how much he has changed his playbook.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: mgh888

That was pre-Freddie..... maybe those posters will feel differently now?

I don't think McCarthy as being excellent in any one area - or cutting edge - but to be honest i don't know that a team that is loaded at the skill positions like we are needs to be. My understanding is that he and Aaron Rogers fell out and clashed on play calling/offense - to me from the outside it looked like a failure at the GM level in GB .... Rodgers is a top 1-2-3 QB in the NFL ... failed to build a team around him that can win it all.

I was thinking about it, and while they did have Rodgers, and usually ~2 really good Olinemen each year, they really didn't have a ton of good, mainstay guys on that offense. They would have guys step up here and there, and they had a very opportunistic defense the year they won it all.

Regarding your first statement... that's an awful reason to fire/hire, imo.

Last edited by oobernoober; 12/10/19 06:20 PM. Reason: keep hitting 'go' before finishing my thought

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Haus
With this thread about to be closed due to length...

Whoever makes the next thread, please spell our coach's last name as "Kitchens", without the apostrophe. Thank you.

D'Ernest Johnson wants to know why? smile

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: jfanent
https://www.12up.com/posts/video-mike-mc...rn-01dvpz7zt1rd

Former Green Bay Packers head coach Mike McCarthy hasn't lost his passion for the game during his sabbatical from the sideline. In fact, his interest in getting back in the ring is stronger than ever, as evidenced by a new NFL Network feature. McCarthy has assembled an whole mock coaching staff to go over film and review play-calling trends with a level of commitment and grind that suggests he may as well still be employed.

McCarthy, who went 143-87-2 with a Super Bowl ring in Green Bay, appears to have totally reinvented his playbook, which could go some ways towards erasing the unceremonious end of his tenure with the Packers.

McCarthy almost had a job lined up after he was let go in Green Bay, as the New York Jets brought him in for an interview before ultimately giving the job to Adam Gase.

They may be regretting that decision.

One of the criticisms of McCarthy was that his offense was too simplistic and that he was unwilling to adjust to fit the modern NFL. If he truly has turned over a new leaf and will come prepared with a more innovative offense this time around, every team with a head coach opening should be breaking down McCarthy's door in an attempt to get him to join them.

That last part is what worries me. Not that his offense was too simplistic (we could use more simple), but that he was unwilling to change. Willingness to change is a behavior, not a skill. IMO, no coach is unable to change their offense (especially over the period of time that he had in GB). These guys live, breath, and die football for their whole lives. And if they don't know something that they need to know, there are lines of people that do know that are lining up for their NFL coaching shot.

-PrplPplEater
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

If your worth your salt as a GM, you need to man up to your mistakes and correct them. Sticking with a guy that is clearly over his head is the SUREFIRE way to lose your job, as your job ultimately depends on winning football games, and Freddie has not shown he can outcoach someone to win a game. IN fact, its been the opposite, we have won DESPITE Freddie blundering decisions.

I agree, but 1 year for a coach isn't right. Some of the same ones who were bemoaning the loss of Chud after 1 season are now eager to see Freddie go. Go figure.

Dorsey isn't going to pull the plug after 1 season unless we melt down these last 3 games, and even then it only takes it to 50/50.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
for the life of me, i still dont understand why we fired the Chud staff. that was probably the best group of coaches we had since the return.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I can't see how anybody who has followed this team for years could possibly want to fire another coach after one season. Insanity. s
Sure up the Oline and people will be singing his praises.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
R
Legend
Legend
R
But the worst head coach.

Chud was worse than Shurmur. The team had no respect for him at all. He had to go.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian
I can't see how anybody who has followed this team for years could possibly want to fire another coach after one season. Insanity. s
Sure up the Oline and people will be singing his praises.

Freddie is incompetent and the players know it. And the fans know it.

No Craps Given
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I have seriously given more credence to Wylie's claims that Baker and the offense's success last 8 games of 2018 had more to do with Zampese than Freddie.

Freddie firing KZ and hiring Lindley definitely hasn't helped Baker in season 2. Nepotism usually doesn't help a situation nor does it always mean a hire is the "best person" for the job. Pettine and his good chum Jim O'Neil are great examples of that.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Swish
for the life of me, i still dont understand why we fired the Chud staff. that was probably the best group of coaches we had since the return.

I think the BIGGEST mistake since our return was keeping Pettine and Jim O'Neil and allowing Kyle Shanahan to leave. IMAGINE if after that powerpoint we fired Pettine instead and promoted Shanny to HC. IMAGINE.

C
Legend
Legend
C

This will be relevant if we fire Kitchens.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Chud was kind of a default hire after Chip Kelly left the Browns at altar so to speak, if I recall. I'm not sure everyone (Haslam, Banner, Lombardi) ever really bought in on Chud.

Then, I believe, at the time, Banner/Lombardi had convinced Haslam, that they needed to fire Chud b/c of a lack of improvement and that they would be able to land the big name coach/hot coaching candidate.

This quick firing also lead to the press conference in which Haslam was asked by the reporter if the team was being run by the three stooges.

Lombardi had pegged McDaniels as his guy and Banner had reservations. McDaniels eventually withdrew his name. The infighting began amongst those two leading to the alleged disastrous interview with Whisenhunt shouting at Banner. Adam Gase later declined an interview. And after a lengthy search ended up with Pettine. Lombardi and Banner were shortly fired thereafter. We were then blessed with Ray Farmer.

Who could forget Pettine's daughter's famous tweet that he had to address at his introductory press conference where she said her dad was going back for a second interview and how excited she was, but stated, "It's the Browns, but hey, still pretty cool!"

I always enjoy a fun trip down Browns Memory Lane!

R
Legend
Legend
R
Wow, that was depressing.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Milk Man

Chud was kind of a default hire after Chip Kelly left the Browns at altar so to speak, if I recall. I'm not sure everyone (Haslam, Banner, Lombardi) ever really bought in on Chud.

Then, I believe, at the time, Banner/Lombardi had convinced Haslam, that they needed to fire Chud b/c of a lack of improvement and that they would be able to land the big name coach/hot coaching candidate.

This quick firing also lead to the press conference in which Haslam was asked by the reporter if the team was being run by the three stooges.

Lombardi had pegged McDaniels as his guy and Banner had reservations. McDaniels eventually withdrew his name. The infighting began amongst those two leading to the alleged disastrous interview with Whisenhunt shouting at Banner. Adam Gase later declined an interview. And after a lengthy search ended up with Pettine. Lombardi and Banner were shortly fired thereafter. We were then blessed with Ray Farmer.

Who could forget Pettine's daughter's famous tweet that he had to address at his introductory press conference where she said her dad was going back for a second interview and how excited she was, but stated, "It's the Browns, but hey, still pretty cool!"

And then Pettine got fired and everyone wanted to hire Sean McDermott. . . except Jimmy Haslam.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: Milk Man

And then Pettine got fired and everyone wanted to hire Sean McDermott. . . except Jimmy Haslam.

Hue know it!

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M

"Trust me" about winning.

Tackles are tackles.
BarkinMad #1705517 12/11/19 07:59 AM
Legend
Legend
He’ll get another year IMO. I Still think we should have kept GW as HC. It’s going to take a few years to change my mind on that if ever.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
M
Legend
Legend
M

Regarding your first statement... that's an awful reason to fire/hire, imo.

Sorry for not being clearer - my first comment in that post was intended to imply that having watched/witnessed Freddie as HC and his poor performance and lack of growth, maybe people feel differently now about wanting to replace him.

As for McCarthy, I had GB fans who were frustrated with him about 2-3 years ago. But Rogers was getting hurt, their D was pretty tame, they never seemed to have enough on O other than elite QB and a couple of really good WR's - but the WR (at least one maybe more) who left GB never repeated the success they had elsewhere so you figure Rogers is really helping the WR's look good. If we do decide to replace Freddie - McCarty is exactly the sort of candidate I want - no newbie college coaches, no promoted OC's who might or might not be the next best thing .... And the way he is prepping for a staff, scouting and continue to work/hustle says McCarthy is uber hungry. I like that.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Kitchen's not worried about job security.

Link Copied to Clipboard