Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
C
Legend
Legend
C
I'd rather have long term, sustainable success instead of one peak year and lose in the first round of the playoffs. Trading a bunch of first round picks for non-QBs just doesn't seem wise if that is the goal. If you disagree with me that's fine.

B
1st String
1st String
B
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
With the talent we have on this roster, we are a WIN NOW team. When you have a WIN NOW team, you do everything you can to sure up holes - even if its trading a little of the future.

Dorsey obviously failed in not trading for Tunsil then. . .

Unfortunately, win now teams rarely win anything, especially the Super Bowl.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
With the talent we have on this roster, we are a WIN NOW team. When you have a WIN NOW team, you do everything you can to sure up holes - even if its trading a little of the future.

yes, he did. Dorsey failed miserably when came to the OL, do you have a different opinion of our OL?

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I'd rather have long term, sustainable success instead of one peak year and lose in the first round of the playoffs. Trading a bunch of first round picks for non-QBs just doesn't seem wise if that is the goal. If you disagree with me that's fine.
Is that right? Because I have heard you and others say that for 20 years, and each year its the same thing "oohhhhhhh we need those picks for our future!" yet the future never came. Its here now. Now is our future. Its time to win now. WE have lost for 20 freakin years dude, ill trade a playoff for a future is more despair.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: BarkinMad

Pretty sure that KC is a win now team, as is San Fran. Are they stockpiling picks for the future? Or did they use their draft capital on players and bring in a QB to run their team?

C
Legend
Legend
C
Is that right? Because I have heard you and others say that for 20 years, and each year its the same thing "oohhhhhhh we need those picks for our future!" yet the future never came. Its here now. Now is our future. Its time to win now. WE have lost for 20 freakin years dude, ill trade a playoff for a future is more despair.

We thought it was "here now" last year and how did that go? I agree that you should be all in to an extent (trading a first round pick for OBJ for example) but to trade away two first round picks (and a second round pick) to "fix" one non-QB position? No thanks.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

We thought it was "here now" last year and how did that go? I agree that you should be all in to an extent (trading a first round pick for OBJ for example) but to trade away two first round picks (and a second round pick) to "fix" one non-QB position? No thanks.
LT is one of the most important positions in football - don't be obtuse.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

who would you rather be right now today, the Texans or the Browns?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

As for Hunt, I love his talent, but if he's going to be another Josh Gordon type, then I say trade him and get someting before you're forced to let him go and get nothing. I hope there's a way we keep him and continue getting solid use out of him and that he doesn't do any more stupd stuff but that's generally rooting for hope against hope. Aside from his running ability, I like his pass catching ability. It will be a shame if he goes and especially if we get nothing.

Unlike a lot of the red flag guys we've had here, Hunt at least seems to have good "football character."

We might have to assign him a babysitter/chauffeur, but he's not quite the same distraction as past guys have been, and with Chubb available we're not really relying on him.

If reporters weren't asking about this, they'd be asking about something else. If it had been during the season, I'd probably see it more harshly.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
C
Legend
Legend
C

Pretty sure that KC is a win now team, as is San Fran. Are they stockpiling picks for the future? Or did they use their draft capital on players and bring in a QB to run their team?

Isn't that what we did and we still sucked? Jarvis Landry? OBJ? Olivier Vernon? Tyrod Taylor? Damarious Randall?

The Chiefs made trade to improve their team on the fringes. They built around Patrick Mahomes. They also have Andy Reid who instilled a great culture in the organization.

The 49ers have built a great culture. They have a genius coach. They, somehow, only gave up a second round pick for Garoppolo.

Not once has either team gone "all in" like the Texans did for Laremy Tunsil.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
How many more wins does Tunsil bring instead of Greg Robinson?

Game wins?
Probably absolutely impossible to give a real answer to.

Drive wins?
As in drives that don't get killed by that spot committing stupid penalties or giving up sacks/hurries/pressures?
That should be more decipherable, and I'd bet the average to be one or two fewer drives killed by that position per game.... and that's pretty huge, especially when you then figure in the improvement in run blocking you could expect to go with it which brings a compounding effectiveness to the offense as a whole. So, theoretically, the difference could have been rather significant.

Add in the ejection in Game 1 that led to a shuffling of the OLine that completely ruined us in the second half of that game, and then the benching during the Bye Week, etc... and the impact of a player that WOULDN'T have had those issues is a lot larger.

Of course, we'd still get killed by Hubbard or a WR not knowing how to see if they're on the line or not, but that's another story altogether.

Also, after going through and writing all of that, there's this to balance it all out: No Offensive Tackle had more penalties in 2019 than Laremy Tunsil with 17 (usually False Start on 1st or 2nd down), lol!

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

C
Legend
Legend
C

I didn't say left tackle was unimportant.

C
Legend
Legend
C

who would you rather be right now today, the Texans or the Browns?

Do I get to take Haslam out of the equation? If so, Browns. Not close.

B
1st String
1st String
B

Those teams have been building through the draft for several years. I remember the Eagles back in 2012 or around then, bringing in Vick and a bunch of FA's, to win now, and it failed badly. Most teams that win SB's are built through the draft, yes they do sprinkle their rosters with a few FA's but it just seems that when the Browns try it always fails. I certainly don't have any faith in the analytic guys to get it done. Dorsey wasn't given a good chance, because we have a dumbass owner.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I didn't say left tackle was unimportant.

KC did survive a few weeks with Cam Erving playing there, though.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
How many wins did Joe Thomas bring us?
I would bet there are more than most think. It wasn't enough to make a major difference in the fate of the Browns, but I'm pretty sure there were plenty of games we would have lost if not for Thomas.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Absolutely. Being able to just put your left tackle on a great right edge rusher, without help, play in and play out is a big advantage.

Quarterback play and coaching left something to be desired during most of his time here, among other problems.

I like a solid offensive line, all five players. Having a player like Joe Thomas is great, but all he could do is block one guy. If you have him, great, if not then don't chase it.. that kind of thinking that you have to go all in for a left tackle leads to things like the Texans outrageous overpay for Tunsil. Be solid across the line, have good depth, and coach the unit up. Maybe a little easier said than done.

Last edited by Haus; 01/29/20 09:25 PM.
P
Legend
Legend
P
And you make a solid point. Overpaying for a single position on the OL like the Texans did for Tunsil takes away assets that could be used for other critical areas of the team.

As was pointed out Tunsil committed more penalties than any other LT in the league. Joe Thomas was a guy who fell into our laps. A great LT chosen with a single draft pick. The notion you give up two first round picks to solve your LT position in the draft or via trade as has been suggested isn't a reasonable option.

The LT position is critical. I've even seen people who consider the interior of the OL as important these days. As if the pressure a QB can see is somehow as dangerous as the pressure he can't see. As if edge rushers aren't something the NFL pays a huge premium for and aren't the biggest pass rushing threats in the league. No, LT is still the most single important position on the OL and the salary it demands is proof of that compared to the pay of interior linemen.

But as has also been proven by the responses, nobody can actually quantify how many more games you can win with a good LT.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum An Offseason Consideration- What To Do With Kareem Hunt?

Link Copied to Clipboard