Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
O
Legend
Legend
O
Just take care of yourself, and just so you know, if you were told to stay home for that you can draw unemployment for the time you are off if you are not being paid.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 04/11/20 10:10 AM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Massive Spike in NYC ‘Cardiac Arrest’ Deaths Seen as Sign of COVID-19 Undercounting

Hundreds of people are now dying at home in New York City daily

The FDNY reported a nearly 400 percent increase in "cardiac arrest" home deaths in late March and early April, a spike that officials say is almost certainly driven by COVID-19, whether they were formally diagnosed or not.

Between March 20 and April 5, the department recorded nearly 2,200 such deaths, versus 450 in the same period last year, according to data it provided on Friday.

The numbers are dramatically higher across the board -- the numbers of calls, the number of deaths and particularly the percentage of such calls that end in death.

In just the first five days of April, more than 70 percent of cardiac arrest calls ended in a pronunciation of death every day. Some days, the numbers were up tenfold versus a year earlier -- and everyone acknowledges there's only one likely cause.

“It’s just horrendous. The numbers speak for themselves. This used to be a very, very rare thing in New York City and suddenly it’s jumped up. The only thing that’s changed is COVID- 19,” Mayor Bill de Blasio told reporters earlier this week. The city is moving to count more people in its official total, even if they were not tested for the virus.

New York City remains the U.S. epicenter of the crisis, with more than a fifth of the nation's total cases and more than a third of its deaths. As the crisis deepened, new rules advised paramedics not to bring cardiac arrest patients to hospitals if they could not be revived in the field.

Overall, the FDNY is experiencing a 50 percent increase in call volume, and has asked that people only call 911 for urgent emergencies, such as cardiac arrest, heavy bleeding or inability to breathe.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/ma...unting/2368678/

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Adding you to my prayer list buddy thumbsup

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
j/c...

I've been following the numbers since I got back from China in January. I decided today to look at numbers a little differently, and I found something fascinating (and not in a good way).

From the John Hopkins site:
Total Cases Globally: 1,844,410
Total Deaths Globally: 113,948
Death Rate 6.2% (Flu is about 0.1%)

Total US Cases: 558.620
Total US Deaths: 22,018
Death Rate 3.9%

US has about 4.2% of the world's population, but 30.3% of the cases and 19.3% of the deaths. Crazy numbers.

Regarding Oregon (where I live) and Ohio (where I'm from)
Oregon Cases: 1527 with 52 deaths (3.4%)
Ohio Cases: 6604 with 247 deaths (3.7%)

Oregon has 1.3% of the US Population and .27% of the cases and .24% of the deaths.
Ohio has 3.6% of the US Population and 1.18% of the cases and 1.12% of the deaths.
Both governors were pretty aggressive on this, and the numbers show.

E
Legend
Legend
E
This evening I talked to an old coworker, he had the virus, and his girlfriend too. Only they never got tested because it wasn't severe enough to go to the hospital.

I think this might be a problem where the number of cases is being under reported because people don't feel sick enough to get tested.

No Craps Given
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Agreed 100%. I suspect this is the case across the globe too.

I read an interesting article a week or two ago where if I recall correctly medical examiners are saying they aren't being provided test kits for the deceased, so we're not sure how many deaths either -though clearly this number is much lower than # of cases.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
This evening I talked to an old coworker, he had the virus, and his girlfriend too. Only they never got tested because it wasn't severe enough to go to the hospital.

I think this might be a problem where the number of cases is being under reported because people don't feel sick enough to get tested.

How does he know they had the virus if they weren't tested?

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Originally Posted By: EveDawg

How does he know they had the virus if they weren't tested?

His symptoms were spot on.

No Craps Given
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: clwb419
j/c...

I've been following the numbers since I got back from China in January. I decided today to look at numbers a little differently, and I found something fascinating (and not in a good way).

From the John Hopkins site:
Total Cases Globally: 1,844,410
Total Deaths Globally: 113,948
Death Rate 6.2% (Flu is about 0.1%)

Total US Cases: 558.620
Total US Deaths: 22,018
Death Rate 3.9%

US has about 4.2% of the world's population, but 30.3% of the cases and 19.3% of the deaths. Crazy numbers.

Regarding Oregon (where I live) and Ohio (where I'm from)
Oregon Cases: 1527 with 52 deaths (3.4%)
Ohio Cases: 6604 with 247 deaths (3.7%)

Oregon has 1.3% of the US Population and .27% of the cases and .24% of the deaths.
Ohio has 3.6% of the US Population and 1.18% of the cases and 1.12% of the deaths.
Both governors were pretty aggressive on this, and the numbers show.

The math is correct but the answers are wrong. You can't take only the known cases and then present the death rates as being anywhere close to accurate. You have to compare the deaths to the total number of infected.

By now they should be able to provide an estimate on how many people have been infected. If they can run numbers and theorize that 6 feet is a safe distance, that only allowing 20% of a stores capacity in customers, etc have an impact, surely they have some idea of the transmissibility rates and can provide at least a loose extrapolation of how many infected.

I'm just wondering why they are hiding that information.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Um.. perhaps the increase is due to a population of people with heart issues who often have to monitor blood pressure not being able to handle the daily stress of the panicked reactions to COVID? Being in an elevated emotional state for lengthy periods of time reeks havoc on the body.

The cure being worse than the disease...

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

I mentioned before my brother is a CRNA in NY. He signed up to go to help out in NJ because of the surge in need for help in the ICU. He told me this morning before his one day of orientation before beginning ICU work at the hospital that they are no longer resuscitating any patient that codes.

He just updated me and said that nearly every patient at that hospital has covid-19. 10 patients coded during his first few hours of orientation and there is currently a refrigerated truck out back of the hospital being loaded with bodies.

Also, many of the staff have been/were infected, but a number of them have recovered and returned to work.

Pretty crazy.

It's utterly insane that we've gotten there. I'm just grateful that we likely won't see that here in Ohio.

What is crazy is we have over half a million cases and a country like China, with a much larger population has 82,000.

I'll spare the reason why. I'll let y'all figure it out.

I hope we checked the gnome sequencing data they provided.

In the next few months we can expect China to get aggressive on the world stage while we are distracted with being sick as crap..

Just saying.

I'd have about 30 subs in the Pacific and Indian Ocean. All with about 24 greeting cards from Uncle Sam with China coordinates set. Use the Atlantic fleet as well as England and France with eyes on Russia in case they start to feel bold.

If it's going to end, so be it.

China knows what they did. They are high fiving every day.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Regardless of if you want to shade the numbers optimistic or pessimistic, the corona virus means...that 4 to 5 percent will not make it.

No matter who you are, if you get it, there is the possibility of death.
If you are over sixty you have an increased chance.
If you are over 70 and you get it, the odds are less than 50/50
If you are over the 80 you will be unlikely to survive...

If you get put on a vent, no matter your age, you have a 1 in 5 chance of surviving...

That is pretty brutal for the “flu”

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg
Regardless of if you want to shade the numbers optimistic or pessimistic, the corona virus means...that 4 to 5 percent will not make it.

No matter who you are, if you get it, there is the possibility of death.
If you are over sixty you have an increased chance.
If you are over 70 and you get it, the odds are less than 50/50
If you are over the 80 you will be unlikely to survive...

If you get put on a vent, no matter your age, you have a 1 in 5 chance of surviving...

That is pretty brutal for the “flu”

I agree. The overall percentage of death is only around 1.5% when looking at cases V number of deaths. Still pretty high.

These are Tennessee numbers, but on a few checks hold pretty solid across the board. The number of deaths for people actually hospitalized jumps to 17.5%.

That is a sobering number considering younger people stand a better chance of survival. Face it, your body is starting to die once you reach 40 or so.

I have had a great life. I am 71. I just don't want to get beat by China. We have been fighting those bastards since Korea and Vietnam.

Screw those slobber knockers.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Outbreak: COVID-19: The Hot Zone

Link Copied to Clipboard