Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

V
Legend
Legend
V
I think the number is up to 14. The Marlins also postponed tonight's game since the above report.

Now, there is talk about whether or not the Yankees will want to use the same visitor's clubhouse that the Marlins were using this weekend.

This is not good for the MLB and the NFL. Neither play in a bubble like the NBA can.

C
Legend
Legend
C
It’s time to shut it down for the MLB.

V
Legend
Legend
V
It looks that way.

C
Legend
Legend
C
They already canceled the Marlins game. They should also cancel the Phillies/Yankees game tonight. That’s at the bare minimum. 12/30 players on one team tested positive. That’s a severe outbreak.

V
Legend
Legend
V
The MLB Commish must address this situation today. Not tomorrow. Today.

There are some options, I guess:

Immediate decision:

--Move the NYY/Philly game to NY tonight.

Moving forward decision:

--Play on w/out the Marlins.

--Cancel the season.

Legend
Legend
Yeah, the immediate decision is to move the game tonight. The impending decision? I don't think he wants to verbalize it yet. I guess he can say to quarantine the Marlins, let them accrue missed games and see if they can be made up later... the more likely announcement is "we'll continue to monitor the situation". Just wait til the Phillies (their previous opponent) announce some cases. Then the poop really hits the fan.

This isn't going to work out. This won't be a fluke, I'm sure other clubs will have outbreaks. I don't see how the heck you can attempt to play a season once we see other cases or player/patients with serious complications. Math says it will happen - and it will force the closure of all sports.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
V
Legend
Legend
V
Unfortunately, I have to agree.

I can almost guarantee that college sports are done. I doubt if the NFL plays this year, now. MLB is probably going to have to shut down. The NBA has a chance because they play ina bubble, but Lou Williams was caught in a Gentleman's Club after he left the bubble. Too many moving parts.

C
Legend
Legend
C
They postponed tonight’s Phillies/Yankee game. They should probably do the same for tomorrow night’s game. Maybe even the whole series. Just let the Yankees go back to New York and let them not play against a potentially infected team.

Legend
Legend
Guidelines, bubbles, all those things are meaningless if the humans involved make dumb decisions.

The only benefit the NFL has is playing "watch and learn" and hoping the seriousness sinks in among it's teams, players and staffs. I also read today that harsh penalties (including no pay) will be leveed against players who engage in "high-risk" events outside of the game. Not sure how you would police that but pretty sure it won't be enough.

Took a little road trip with the wife this weekend and saw enough to know that most people lie between "don't care" and "totally oblivious"... At least here in Missouri. Getting all these young, athletic multi-millionaires to be smart and careful is a challenge that I don't think will be won. And let's be honest, the mindset of many of them is "so I get sick - big deal". I really don't think most consider something life-altering as a real possibility.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
They postponed tonight’s Phillies/Yankee game. They should probably do the same for tomorrow night’s game. Maybe even the whole series. Just let the Yankees go back to New York and let them not play against a potentially infected team.

Then they should do the same for the Phillies, who just played the Marlins, right?

The dominos will start falling in a hurry.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Season about to be cancelled as per multiple reports.

Sad state of affairs when the NHL has a better plan than the MLB.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Well Canada has taken the necessary measures to have the virus under much better control than we do here.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Keep your politics out of this thread. No one wants to see it. Let me think about the world in my nice thought bubble where I don't consider criiticism!

P
Legend
Legend
P
I know people will claim this but facts aren't politics. Sad when they try and make it sound that way.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist
Season about to be cancelled as per multiple reports.

Which reports?

Legend
Legend
I’m not sure they’ll cancel, but they have to tread lightly here. It could spiral out of control quickly

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-h...ak-per-reports/

MLB has no plans to cancel or pause 2020 season after Marlins coronavirus outbreak, per reports
Rob Manfred and the owners had a conference call on Monday afternoon

Despite a COVID-19 outbreak involving at least 11 Miami Marlins players, Major League Baseball has no plans at present to cancel or pause its 2020 regular season, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post. Sherman's report came after commissioner Rob Manfred conducted his weekly meeting with the 30 team owners on Monday afternoon.

Manfred and the owners intend to instead "redouble health directives," such as players wearing masks or facial coverings in the clubhouse, and "reinforce on-field behavior prohibitions" against gestures like high fives, per Scott Miller of Bleacher Report.

Because there are no clear guidelines in the agreement between the union and the league as it pertains to what would prompt a shutdown, that discretion is to be made by Manfred alone. He was asked earlier in July, during a radio interview with Dan Patrick, what would have to happen in order for him to consider exercising that power.

"I don't have a firm number of days in mind (to pause the season). I think the way that I think about it, Dan, is in the vein of competitive integrity, in a 60-game season," Manfred said. "If we have a team or two that's really decimated with a number of people who had the virus and can't play for any significant period of time, it could have a real impact on the competition and we'd have to think very, very hard about what we're doing."

Clearly, Manfred doesn't feel the Marlins outbreak will have a "real impact on the competition." Rather, Manfred seems to subscribe to the same school of thought as Los Angeles Dodgers president Stan Kasten, who said on Monday morning: "I do think we expected something like this at some point, and maybe getting it out of the way early will help teach us things that we'll avoid repetitions of this going forward."

Call it wishful thinking or blind optimism, but it doesn't seem like Monday's news about the Marlins will mark the end of the season.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
V
Legend
Legend
V
About those "facts..." that some are spewing. LOL

And no YTown, my post is not directed towards you.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Cool, I got things wrong! At least I admit my mistakes.

I don't go off saying that I've done more for black Americans than the black Americans on this board or insinuate black Americans are loud and obnoxious.

Doubt you'll ever walk either of those back.

V
Legend
Legend
V

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Thanks for the flattery!

O
Legend
Legend
O

This, right here...

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
That may be too soon .

Now at least 15 Marlins players and 3 coaches have tested positive.

Washington Nationals have voted as a team to not go to Miami for this weekends series.
The National’s manager said “I’m scared, I’m really scared”. He was out part of last year with a heart condition

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

Here is the part many seem to not be talking about...

Quote:
If I’ve been tested once, do I need to get tested again?

Getting a negative test result means it is unlikely you were infected with the new coronavirus when your test sample was taken. But you could still be infected if you got your test when you were in the earliest stages of infection, before the virus was detectable. Also, you could catch the coronavirus later and need to be tested again. Let your health care provider know if your symptoms persist or worsen, and you might need another test.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/c...ou-need-to-know

So you can test negative while in the very early stages of being exposed only to actually have the virus. This may be the biggest threat to the spread in MLB and other professional sports without having a proper quarantine protocol in place.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

Baseball commissioner warns he might end season if coronavirus isn't managed better, ESPN reports

Major League Baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred warned union leader Tony Clark in a Friday call that if the league and players don't do a better job of following Covid-19 protocols and managing the virus, Manfred could shut down the shortened season, ESPN reported.

On Friday, the league and the MLB Players Association announced that 29 players and team staff have tested positive for Covid-19 this week.
CNN has reached out to the league for comment but has not heard back. A union spokesperson told CNN the union had no comment.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/31/us/mlb-coronavirus-cardinals-brewers/index.html

It's a much longer article but most of it is rehashed information.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I can see it being canceled ... especially if they continue the standard of “if a player tests positive, that team doesn’t play” ... they have to lessen their standard or just call the season IMO

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
Lessening that standard would cause the virus to run wild in the league.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
This threatening and browbeating like this truly gets me upset. That standard is vital to protect a lot of people. If it is that razor thin, fold your tent, call it. Not worth taking this risk and wasting the opportunity you engineered due to misjudgment. If you have it, then you are out. Building in bigger risks is worse. make a decision and spare fans all the pointless handwringing.

Hope every sport stays healthy, butt that is not realistic. Shameful.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Proposal for 100 game MLB season to begin in late June

Link Copied to Clipboard