Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
We should know by Halloween if they work and to what extent. The next round of trials for the two biggest candidates (Oxford and Moderna) wrap up around then.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Yeah, but I would think they would have a good idea before then. At the very least, they're looking into this specifically and can share how they're going to figure it out.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Both leading candidate vaccines have been shown to work on a small scale. So the early results are good.

Should be better to see in the next phase how well it works across 30k people as compared to 30 people.

Plus my October we can see how a vaccine designed to work with the January strain compares to whatever is floating around in November.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Karen Kasler
@karenkasler
.@GovMikeDeWine
speech on COVID-19 at 5:30, and here are today's Ohio numbers:
2,819 confirmed deaths: 6 new, same as yesterday
3,075 total deaths: 256 probables
65,287 confirmed cases: 1,274 new cases, up from 1,100 yesterday
69,311 total cases: 4,024 probables

Karen Kasler
@karenkasler
Other breakdowns:
1,027 current hospitalizations (1,107 yesterday)
316 in ICU (up from 314 yesterday)
146 on ventilators (down from 156 yesterday)
1,020,811 total tests administered: 18,832 new; 18,956 new yesterday
Positivity rate (as of July 13) 5.3%; 7-day moving average 6.4%

https://twitter.com/karenkasler/status/1283463136532508672

O
Legend
Legend
O
Are we expecting DeWine to drop the hammer in his later-than-usual PC?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist
Jester,

Moderna’s full data got released yesterday.

Fauci’s group concluded that neutralizing antibodies do get produced, and all 40+ enrolled in the trial didn’t have any very serious reactions. I read the worst they saw was a small flu type reaction, but nothing debilitating like covid can be. Don’t articles like the one you posted disregard phase trials and potentially contribute to the nonsensical anti-vacation crowd?

I’ve read that a vaccine against a coronavirus is typically a challenge due to mutations, but my current understanding is the only mutation is in the number of spike proteins. The genetic makeup of the proteins hasn’t changed, yet. The mRNA vaccine gives cells instructions on how to dismantle the spikes. I know you probably know this due to your position of employment, but I also wanted to bring this to light on the board so everyone knows what’s going on.

I know Portland said we may only get like a 2-4 month immunity, but shouldn’t these results from Moderna and Oxford give us a little hope? Trevor Bedford/Nexstrain have still yet to share any significant data on a major mutation which renders any current vaccine design obsolete.

The last thing that I would want to do is contribute to the anti-vaxxer idiocy. The point of the article is to not put the cart before the horse. There are still a lot of questions yet to answered.

1, is it safe? At this point here have been no significant adverse reactions reported but the numbers of people exposed is small. Also, will there be any delayed reactions? Not much time has passed.

2, yes, all people exposed developed antibodies. Are those neutralizing antibodies? Are they produced is sufficient quantities to confer protection? How long will the immunity last? Will we need a booster? Will we need annual covid shots with our annual flu shot?

3, once we have those answers an an adequate vaccine has been developed, how long will it take to ramp up production? We are still struggled getting adequate tests, why wouls vaccine production be that much more efficient?

To date, the fastest a vaccine development has achieved all of that has been 4 years. I am not familiar with the modalities that Oxford/AstraZeneca are using but Moderna is using a novel technology. This gives both promise and pause. The promise is that maybe we can develop a vaccine at an unprecedented speed. The pause is that there have yet to be a vaccine developed using this technology. Though reportedly they have several promising candidates in the pipeline.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think to sum up my feelings on the current vaccines being developed is to move forward with both hope and caution.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

I think this will become the norm.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Are we expecting DeWine to drop the hammer in his later-than-usual PC?

I'm guessing a potential move to Level 4.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Only if killing people off at an even faster rate is the goal.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Quote:
1, is it safe? At this point here have been no significant adverse reactions reported but the numbers of people exposed is small. Also, will there be any delayed reactions? Not much time has passed.

Yeah, hopefully the next phase gives us a better idea.

Quote:
Are those neutralizing antibodies? Are they produced is sufficient quantities to confer protection? How long will the immunity last? Will we need a booster? Will we need annual covid shots with our annual flu shot?

They were neutralizing to the level or exceeded those who recovered from covid. As per the rest is something that hasn't been released, nor do I think any of us will know until two years or so from now.

Quote:
how long will it take to ramp up production? We are still struggled getting adequate tests, why wouls vaccine production be that much more efficient?

From what I've read, the vaccines are being produced as we speak. Yeah could be a giant coloassal waste of money to make something that doesn't work, but the vats for Oxford and Moderna are churning out enough to hopefully cover the entire world population by the end of the year.

There's been other talks about how syringe production may not match vaccine production, but I haven't read into that too much.

Moderna's and Oxford are both mRNA based. I'm blown away by the tech. It's super interesting. I hope it works as I read it could do a lot for cancer and HIV/AIDS if effective for covid.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Only if killing people off at an even faster rate is the goal.

Not following you here. Level 4 is the worst level.

https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/covid-19/public-health-advisory-system/

At least, that's how I read it.

Legend
Legend
all level four ads is the suggestion that folks stay home.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think that he thought Memphis meant Phase 4

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
A
Legend
Legend
A
Well then, that makes the 4 'levels' as dumb as the color chart showing risk of terrorist attack a number of years ago.

Legend
Legend
yep

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yep. My mistake.

#gmstrong
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Covid-19: Cases Continue

Link Copied to Clipboard