Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
O
Legend
Legend
O
I can see that. I just haven't ran the bars since before dating apps became mainstream. And when I did, most of them were either dead or meat markets.

It's not that I never go to a bar for a game or a quick social drink... but that is very rare for me. My wife can't drink because she is a recovered/recovering (not sure how to say it) alcoholic.

It has been years and she doesn't care if others drink in front of her or around her, but going to the bar regularly would just be playing with fire.

PLUS, I don't like people in general and I can't stand a drunk hanging on you talking to you all in your face, you know the type and it's a pet peeve of mine.

We used to bowl on a league and quit that for the same reasons.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
A
Legend
Legend
A
What about those of us that have to work, and we aren't on the public dole? Just stay home? Lose the house? Lose everything we've worked for? Some of us need to work.

Wife and I don't live an extravagant lifestyle by any means, but staying at home won't do anything but cost us our savings, our stocks, our jobs, and our livelihood. Some of us peons don't get monthly checks from the gov't. like some of you.

Ya know, the people trying to lock down the economy/jobs are the exact people that haven't missed a paycheck yet.

Up in northern michigan a few weeks ago..........I was amazed at the number of businesses that had shuttered the doors. I see it here as well - small businesses.

On the other hand, I see, daily, companies hiring at starting off wages of $15 to $20 an hour.........yet no one fills those jobs. Why?

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I support people who wish to help small business owners like you in times of need like this. People who run their own businesses should be getting more covid assistance than executives of fortune 500 companies.

O
Legend
Legend
O
First, I don't get a check from the government arch. You have insinuated that many times and I have told you that many times. AND if you are referring to the left, I'd have to check those numbers but am fairly confident that there are more checks going out in red states than blue ones.

Now my wife gets a partial disability from the VA, but that is no effin' hand out bud. She paid the price for that long ago and people like you should thank her for it, not scoff at her.

As for your right to earn, yes you need to be able to take care of yourself! I fight for you every day, you just don't see that because you hate me so much. YOU ARE WORKING CLASS BRO.

I think if we have to shut down, people like you should be taken care of until you can safely work. But since our government screwed that up, they more or less forced you to go back to work before it was safe to do so and take your chances. I don't blame you for that and even tried to help you with whatever I could find, I know you won't give me any credit for that but it doesn't make it less true.

When I bash people for not quarantining or taking covid more seriously, it never included people trying not to starve. It's the idiots like spring breakers, summer parties, going out to eat or to bars etc. when doing so was considered highly unsafe... Heck I don't even fault the diners and drinkers that much, but the anti maskers... they are idiots IMHO and super selfish. But at the end of the day, it's all on the government. People are going to do things that people do no matter what and a large percentage of them make bad choices on a regular basis.

The government sent out $1200 checks then told people to get by on that for months... You can't do that. People had to do whatever was necessary to survive. Those on unemployment didn't have it any easier in most cases either. And a lot of small businesses and gig workers qualified for help that all ran out before it should have as well. This was all a formula for disaster.

So nobody that I know blames you or thinks bad of you for going out and doing what you do to get by. I've worked and my wife has worked all through covid. Yes, I work from home (which was more rare pre-covid) but I still work just like you but not as physically of course. And a week or two into the lockdown I was super busy with clients wanting help to set up system for remote working. I had to learn some things like zoom on the fly early to get them up and running. It was about 3-4 weeks of very lucrative work and it helped us out a ton. I'm still busy, especially for this time of year, but I know a slow down is coming. January to mid February will be slower.

My wife started out during the shut down working remotely from home too, but in September she had to start going back to the office because the one 30 something woman that said she didn't want to be stuck at home with her damn kids started crying about having to pick up orders off the fax and carrying them to the production plant 200 feet away. So everybody had to come back to the office.

So I have no idea why you think the things you do about me, but you are wrong on your assumptions about my money. Hell I lived most of my life doing the kind of stuff you do and running my own business, I know it can be hard as hell at times. But when my health went south, and the 08 crapfest took out a solid business at no fault of my own, I went through all of this type of huge hit then. That changed my perspective on a lot of things, politics most of all. I don't have as much expendable income as I used to have, but I'm far from needing any kind of handout bro. And I'm humble and thankful for that in a non religious way.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 12/15/20 10:59 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
I have to disagree with both of you. If I spend hours hanging out at a bar and catch covid I can pretty much know that's where I got it from.

If most people catch it from random places, grocery stores, gas stations, etc, we would have statistics about that. In fact we would have far more cases than we have now.

Who even goes to bars anymore? I don't drink, so it's an honest question. And I know you do , but you are a special case because that is a major part of your socializing.

Alcohol is da devil. And she done got her hooks into you! jk, but I had the waterboy's mama in my mind telling me to do it.

I just wanted to add on to what Eve said.

I obviously can't speak for everywhere, but places I've traveled for work.....San Antonio, the little over a month I was there was off the hook on the weekends. What I mean is: I would drive through the downtown Riverwalk area and the sidewalks were really busy with people. Restaurants were packed (to the allowable capacity). It was the same throughout most of the suburbs too.

I live in the DMV area right now. If I go to the National Harbor (lots of restaurants and etc) to eat during the week its not bad. During the weekends, every restaurant is packed with most having a wait time. The whole area there are people everywhere. It's not as crazy as before Covid, but if you were an outsider coming to the place. I would compare it to a smaller city with rush hour traffic and the person saying our traffic is bad, which I would say come to DC and I'll show you what traffic looks like. My point is it's still a ton of people there, just not elbow to elbow crowds.

Old Town/Alexandria - weekends: streets are very busy, bars/restaurants are close or to capacity. I had lunch at a new place I wanted to try today and asked about Friday. The waitress said by 5 pm they will be filled with a wait time of at least an hour.

National Mall - area has been really busy (I'm talking besides the rallies/etc) during the weekends.

Buffalo Wild Wings was filled close to allowable capacity on Sunday with fans of all teams when i was there.

Same for the trail along the Potomac, but yea, that is at least outside.

Baltimore was the same when I went up for a weekend....but as I said, it was a weekend. I would be lying if I said it was like that always.

I know this sounds like I go drinking every weekend, lol. But I usually go out once every few weeks. I usually go for a cruise through the areas about every weekend just to get out of the house, see all the beautiful scenery of the area and seeing people do their thing.

E
Legend
Legend
E
OCD is just an old fogey. In the ATL metro area the restaurant and bar scene is very trendy. Gameday at the sports bars here is extremely fun. All kinds of fans, smack talk, high fives, bar food, and good times.

Social distancing is a mixed bag. Some bars have social distanced seats at the bar, some dont. Most have social distanced tables. Some have plexi-glass dividers on top of booths.

No Craps Given
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I bet it is, I enjoyed the metro area when I've visited a few times (that was before Covid). I agree about the sports bars. The bar area was spaced with tables, but everyone was having fun and joking with each other and keeping their distance.

Every place i've been has social distancing at the bar. They've replaced the side-by-side stools with regular tables at the bar. In Alexandria, they've blocked off the parking on the streets (that are in front of the restaurants) and added tables there for outdoor seating. It's been that way...since I would say July/August timeframe. Since it's getting colder they added open ended tents with heaters. There was a few people sitting outside today at the outside bar having lunch and it was 40 degrees out. That's a little too much for me, lol.

Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Covid-19: Again

Link Copied to Clipboard