Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
clwb419 #1802994 10/08/20 09:58 AM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: clwb419
I throw a cube in my hot coffee to make it not 200 degrees...and if I order a latte, I always ask for tepid. How sad is that?

Not sad. I set my burner to 190 and let it perk away for 10 minutes. They say boiling water isn't good when using a percolator anyway, so it works fine for me.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

My coffee is so very different this morning. Much better smile

Of course, now I recognize that I may need a darker roast.

Give this a week or two to see if your taste adjusts too. I used to be a dark roast only guy, but when I started learning more and adjusting, I realized that lighter roasts have some pretty great characteristics as well. The negative is that they tend to be more acidic, but the positive is more fruity notes and are more fragrant.

clwb419 #1803370 10/09/20 01:20 PM
Legend
Legend
May have used too many ground today. Finer grind (bottom end of the medium scale), but I used more grounds... still had a salted flavor to it. I have a feeling that I still have a ways to go before I'm truly dialed-in.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
It took me a while. To remain consistent, you may want to buy more of the same coffee until you get it right - switching coffees may make it more difficult.

Or maybe the coffee is the problem?

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Thinking about getting a better grinder during Prime Days. Don't want the best, but don't want junk either. Anybody want to give me a crash course in them? Watching YT videos is doing nothing but confusing me even more...

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I use an inexpensive dripper, don't know the difference. I enjoy any of the Starbucks dark coffees, usually get them in Amish country for about $4 for a 12 ounce package. I flavor with a bit of sugar free Hazelnut, caramel or vanilla flavoring

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DawgMichelle
Thinking about getting a better grinder during Prime Days. Don't want the best, but don't want junk either. Anybody want to give me a crash course in them? Watching YT videos is doing nothing but confusing me even more...

I went with a Capresso Infinity several year back and I cannot find any fault with it. You can get them on Amazon for just about $99.

It is a conical burr grinder, so you get consistent grinds and adjustable grind size from very large all the way down to Turkish Fine. As conical burrs go, it was the most affordable on the market at the time. I don't know if there is anything better at the price point these days, but I've had mine close to ten years, I think, and it is still going strong.

Browns is the Browns

B
Legend
Legend
B
That was always my problem with grinders. It's near impossible to get the same amount of beans and same grind every time.

The Keurig solves that. Find the flavor you like and the amount of water you want and you are ready to go.

There is a large enough variety of K-cups on the market you can find something you like.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #1805062 10/12/20 11:18 AM
Legend
Legend
Everything tastes better on Victory Monday cool

Browns is the Browns

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Originally Posted By: DawgMichelle

I went with a Capresso Infinity several year back and I cannot find any fault with it. You can get them on Amazon for just about $99.

It is a conical burr grinder, so you get consistent grinds and adjustable grind size from very large all the way down to Turkish Fine. As conical burrs go, it was the most affordable on the market at the time. I don't know if there is anything better at the price point these days, but I've had mine close to ten years, I think, and it is still going strong.

Michelle - I've had my DeLonghi for about 5 years and it was $109. The Capresso Infinity is on several lists and is $86 on amazon right now. OXO BREW is on several lists too and a google search tells me it is $100 at Target. I'm guessing you'll be able to find a good quality one on Prime Day. If not, the holidays are just around the corner and I'm sure several will be on sale at some point.

They're the most consistent grind you can find. Blade grinders are inconsistent, but cheap.

An idea is to go to a local coffee shop, many baristas are coffee nerds and can help out.

clwb419 #1805193 10/12/20 03:23 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
DANG! A hundo for a grinder? And still no guarantee that I'll actually be able to get my coffee to taste better?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
DANG! A hundo for a grinder? And still no guarantee that I'll actually be able to get my coffee to taste better?

It's a tool; it's as good as the person using it understands how to use it.

It's the control over the process that you are buying. You get consistent grind sizes, you don't burn/scorch the beans like a high-rpm blade grinder can, etc...

Once you know what you need for the beans you like, then you CAN guarantee that you will get your coffee to taste better. You just have to try different things to find out what is "better" to you smile

Browns is the Browns

clwb419 #1805246 10/12/20 08:43 PM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Thanks for the info, guys. I'll watch these over the next couple of days and see what happens.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Considering the Cuisinart CBM-18N burr grinder. We have some good discounts, coupons, and points that make it fairly attractive in price.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
O
Legend
Legend
O
Prime Day Deals

Electric Conical Burr
Electric Conical Burr Grinder

Manual
Manual Conical Burr

Last edited by oobernoober; 10/14/20 10:26 AM. Reason: making it not a mess

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Thanks...I saw the Sboly but chose the Cuisinart due to their customer service (experience with an air fryer) and price. wink And I actually have the manual grinder on my list for Santa!

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Prime Day Deals

Electric Conical Burr
Electric Conical Burr Grinder

Manual
Manual Conical Burr

Thanks for the reminder that it is prime day...completely forgot