Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I blame Modell for being such a bad business man he was in deep debt while owning a winning NFL franchise with a rabid fan base. He then leveraged the city of Baltimore into bailing him out of debt in return for stealing our team for them.

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Modell lost his biggest tenant when the Indians moved out of the dump called Municipal Stadium to Progressive Field.

He wanted a new stadium too. And for the taxpayers to pay for it, and him to own it. One of those things does not go with the others, and hence he bailed to Baltimore.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
I disagree. Modell maneuvered and manipulated the Baltimore situation to his own benefit. He needed a huge cash windfall in order to overcome his own ineptitude and mismanagement.

In the expansion vote in 1993, Modell led the charge against allowing expansion in Baltimore, despite them promising a new stadium. Lerner was the prospective owner for a Baltimore team, but his close friend Art Modell led the charge against him, and Baltimore, instead supporting the smallest city in the NFL, and an ownership group who had quit the race only shortly before the vote. Modell cited things such as lack of support for the Colts, (a team run by completely inept ownership at that time) among other factors.

Then Modell, about 2 1/2 years later, decided that Baltimore was a good city for an NFL team after all ..... his team.

Let's not rewrite history in order to absolve Modell of his actions.

Make no mistake, the entire thing was an orchestrated manipulation by the league. They knew, flat out, the message that was being sent to EVERY city: if we can move Cleveland, we can move you. Build the Stadiums We Are Demanding, Under the Conditions We Prescribe.

And, so, every team in the league has gotten a new stadium. Paid for by taxpayers, owned by the teams, where the city gets next to no revenue directly from it.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Didn't he end up having to sell off his ownership in the team anyway? I believe the Baltimore move only put off the inevitable (him having to sell due to being strapped for cash).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
T
Legend
Legend
T
No city can ever be to blame for any team moving,
unless; trying to think of scenarios.

Well unless the city collapses into anarchy like Portland in 2020.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Your non football take is as inaccurate as many of your football takes.

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
Modell was offered the opportunity to be a part of the Gateway development project with the Browns getting a new stadium and he declined.

Art Modell was offered a stadium for the Cleveland Browns and passed: Mark Naymik

By Mark Naymik, cleveland.com
Updated Jan 12, 2019; Posted Sep 14, 2012

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- What you think you know about Art Modell's decision to take the Browns out of Cleveland for a shiny new stadium in Baltimore is legend.

Today, the consciences of a couple of old-guard Cleveland politicians give us a long-hidden fact about Modell's departure. Specifically, when Modell claimed he would have stayed if city leaders had offered to build him a stadium, he was lying.

He was offered a new stadium.

read more at link below

https://www.cleveland.com/naymik/2012/09/art_modell_gateway_stadium.html

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Didn't he end up having to sell off his ownership in the team anyway? I believe the Baltimore move only put off the inevitable (him having to sell due to being strapped for cash).

I believe that he, and his estate, held onto like 1% to avoid triggering a clause in the purchase that would trigger some massive repayment, or something.

Browns is the Browns

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
I disagree. Modell maneuvered and manipulated the Baltimore situation to his own benefit. He needed a huge cash windfall in order to overcome his own ineptitude and mismanagement.

In the expansion vote in 1993, Modell led the charge against allowing expansion in Baltimore, despite them promising a new stadium. Lerner was the prospective owner for a Baltimore team, but his close friend Art Modell led the charge against him, and Baltimore, instead supporting the smallest city in the NFL, and an ownership group who had quit the race only shortly before the vote. Modell cited things such as lack of support for the Colts, (a team run by completely inept ownership at that time) among other factors.

Then Modell, about 2 1/2 years later, decided that Baltimore was a good city for an NFL team after all ..... his team.

Let's not rewrite history in order to absolve Modell of his actions.

Make no mistake, the entire thing was an orchestrated manipulation by the league. They knew, flat out, the message that was being sent to EVERY city: if we can move Cleveland, we can move you. Build the Stadiums We Are Demanding, Under the Conditions We Prescribe.

And, so, every team in the league has gotten a new stadium. Paid for by taxpayers, owned by the teams, where the city gets next to no revenue directly from it.

Except for the California teams. The Chargers and Raiders moved because they couldn’t get publicly funded stadiums. The Rams moved to LA despite St. Louis wanting to keep them because Stan Kroenke is a gazillionaire who wanted to build a spaceship in the second biggest city in the country.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Aye...

Just another example of why people want to piss on his grave.

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted By: Dave
Modell was offered the opportunity to be a part of the Gateway development project with the Browns getting a new stadium and he declined.

Art Modell was offered a stadium for the Cleveland Browns and passed: Mark Naymik

By Mark Naymik, cleveland.com
Updated Jan 12, 2019; Posted Sep 14, 2012

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- What you think you know about Art Modell's decision to take the Browns out of Cleveland for a shiny new stadium in Baltimore is legend.

Today, the consciences of a couple of old-guard Cleveland politicians give us a long-hidden fact about Modell's departure. Specifically, when Modell claimed he would have stayed if city leaders had offered to build him a stadium, he was lying.

He was offered a new stadium.

read more at link below

https://www.cleveland.com/naymik/2012/09/art_modell_gateway_stadium.html

I also have the SI issue of a cartoon Modell punching a "dog fan" in the gut on the cover. They go into a lot of detail and point out he was offered a stadium in the 70s. Modell insisted they build it on land that Art owned and payed a small amount for. He wanted them to buy it from him at an extremely large price increase. Modell IIRC was one of the first owners to get all stadium revenue.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Modell owned the dump that was called Municipal stadium. He wanted a new home, built by the tax payers and given ownership… Heck of a deal for Modell.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Quote:
I also have the SI issue of a cartoon Modell punching a "dog fan" in the gut on the cover.

I, too, have this issue. I bought it off of Ebay and have it framed alongside the Cory Snyder/Joe Carter issue from the late 80s when SI thought the Indians could win the series and Landry/OBJ issue in 2019 when SI thought the Browns could win the Superbowl.

Wow....I'm a glutton for Cleveland sports punishment!

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

A bit more nuanced relationship re: the stadium.

Modell took control of Cleveland Municipal Stadium in 1973, which had been owned by the City of Cleveland but had become too expensive for the city to operate or maintain. He worked out a deal with the city whereby his newly formed entity, dubbed Stadium Corp., would rent the stadium from the City for $1 per year, assume all operating and repair costs and would sublease the stadium to its two primary tenants, the Browns and the Cleveland Indians, Cleveland's franchise in the American League of Major League Baseball.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Modell

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Wow....I'm a glutton for Cleveland sports punishment!

We all are or we would have left here many years ago. It looks as though we may finally be rewarded.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Always thought Sherman was a douche.

Tackles are tackles.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Yeah, but not this kind of douche.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
When I read the charges and think about what could have led to that, and then I think about what we've gotten to see of his personality... I can totally see it.

Browns is the Browns

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Holy smokes!

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

Always thought Sherman was a douche.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
That is really, really sad. I hope he gets the help he obviously needs.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Legend
Legend
B

Maybe so.

Drunk people say a lot of stuff, so maybe not..at least in the killing himself part.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Maybe so.

Drunk people say a lot of stuff, so maybe not..at least in the killing himself part.

Yeah, his wife was pretty adamant that his demeanor was completely out of character and that he had consumed a lot of liquor.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Could simply be struggling with losing his identity. For his entire life, thus far, he's been an NFL "star". Now, he can't get work and training camp is about to start in 32 different cities without him.

He didn't choose retirement, it chose him.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Could simply be struggling with losing his identity. For his entire life, thus far, he's been an NFL "star". Now, he can't get work and training camp is about to start in 32 different cities without him.

He didn't choose retirement, it chose him.

He wouldn't be the first player to lose his sense of belonging to something. Mike Webster of the steelers have issues after football. Plenty of others.

Wonder if the NFLPA has any kinda outreach for those guys?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: FATE
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Maybe so.

Yeah, his wife was pretty adamant that his demeanor was completely out of character and that he had consumed a lot of liquor.

Apparently, the in-laws might have been responsible for leaking their front door camera of Sherman trying to get in. It has profanity so I cannot post it, but it's pretty wild.

Honestly, it's a ringing endorsement and good PR for the door manufacturer.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
"Well I'm the best door breaker in the game... When you try me with a sorry @$$ door like Pella, that's the result you gonna... Damn, this is a good @$$ door... Come through Ray, come through!"

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Tough scenario involving Sherman. I’ve always thought he was a jerk, but obviously never thought about him having this side to him (or mental health issues if that’s the case)

Not sure he’ll find work, especially after this

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum NFL Released Players Con't.....

Link Copied to Clipboard