Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Legend
Legend
P
If you're not gay I can certainly see what it "ain't your cup of tea".

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
H
hitt Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
H
I want to piggyback on one of your statements- family unit and point a finger which I don't consider racist- numbers don't lie unless they are twisted lots. I don't think the ones I'll use are "wrong"- ain't perfect, but you'll get the idea.

From wiki...Chicago demographics= There were more than 1,061,928 households, of which 28.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 35.1% were married couples living together, 18.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 40.4% were non-families. Of all households, 32.6% were made up of individuals, and 8.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.67 and the average family size was 3.50.

I'll mess this up, but little over 1/3 married. That's NOT a large number to an old guy who considers a traditional family, father/mother/kids as the ideal. Way different than what I expected.

Year after year these stats don't change much.
Hey Jackass 2021- YTD, 234 homicides, 1270 shot, Police shootings 3 killed, 6 shot...riots next or same oh, same oh, 169 blacks killed by 17 black assailants, 7 whites killed, 1 assailant, Hispanic 29/3 etc.

I know Hey, Jackass ain't lot of researchers and they admit their numbers are off by some percentage points.....but looking at the numbers sure makes me wonder WHY the BLM movement isn't marching thru the streets of Chicago AND her burgs DEMANDING the gun violence stop and why we can't get the old nuclear family more prevalent within every race demo. I, personally, look at the loss of nuclear family as a HUGE key- too often it is ok to father children while hooked up and walk away....and do it over and over again. Sad, sad, outcomes. Who's your daddy, and where is he? Look at the stats. Ugly. Peace.Y

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
O
Legend
Legend
O
saywhat

Maybe I don't get what you are trying to say but that sounded like an Archie Bunker bit in my head.

BLM isn't about saving every black from every danger... It's about bringing awareness to the fact that police kill blacks way more frequently than other races and often tend to treat them as less than human in/during confrontations, more so than their white counterparts anyway. I don't get what is so hard to wrap around.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 05/19/21 06:37 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
Talking about the family unit and b on b crime is a no-no, as you can see from the previous post. Merely bringing it up gets you coined "racist". Others will turn that around and tell you that you're ignoring the real issues.

Not worth the effort, bro. No matter your intentions.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
O
Legend
Legend
O
Coined racist? How so? By saying it sounded like something from an Archie Bunker bit? Sure, Archie Bunker like many now don't know what they are trying to say sounds racist, yet in their heart they are not... I never coined anyone a racist. And I'd be happy to take this convo to PP with both of you.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
H
hitt Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
H
You're right, I fit the demographic of Archie Bunker, yet I believe I look at both/all sides. I just lament the failures of my generation- as young ones- freedom, supporting civil rights, free love, more drug use openly, etc.
So the family unit more broken, education has lower standards/yet "graduates" more, lots of mental health problems on streets, gap between the haves/have not is wider, and religion/ our purpose, unless you believe we are nothing more than cell which somehow evolve into us...is lower.....guess I just expected more, yet nothing new under the sun sure applies AND in our society isn't getting better. Add in POLITICS, and we can't even talk to each other....improving, right. All we can do is try our best. Yes, BLM- but in black world, those killed by cops...3 percent, those are the life changers, not the 97 other percent....JMHO, real problem is no accountability in their subculture. Peace. Can't talk about it, but I stupidly typed it. Peace.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
P
Legend
Legend
P
There's a difference in something being a no no and being ignorant to reality. Every major city, including Chicago has more than one group that protest against gun violence, black on black crime and the social ills within their communities. When people try to pretend they don't or have no clue that they do, that should be pointed out.

Also why is it some feel every group should focus on that alone and ignore everything else? Maybe if people spent as much time looking into the fact that there are already groups across our nation working against gun violence and black on black crime they wouldn't be posting such falsehoods for people to comment on in the first place.

Not that I ever expect that to happen. As we can see form reading some of these posts, the narrative has already been written. Facts be damned.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Only you're not looking at all sides. Read my previous post. There are groups in every city already addressing those issue. Yet rather than address police violence you try and play a bait and switch con games.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
There's a difference in something being a no no and being ignorant to reality. Every major city, including Chicago has more than one group that protest against gun violence, black on black crime and the social ills within their communities. When people try to pretend they don't or have no clue that they do, that should be pointed out.

Also why is it some feel every group should focus on that alone and ignore everything else? Maybe if people spent as much time looking into the fact that there are already groups across our nation working against gun violence and black on black crime they wouldn't be posting such falsehoods for people to comment on in the first place.

Not that I ever expect that to happen. As we can see form reading some of these posts, the narrative has already been written. Facts be damned.

So, in other words, it's a no-no. When anyone says anything about it, people like you state they are ignoring everything else. How is he ignoring everything else? He's making a statement about one segment of the problem. In your world, that's not allowed and he's "ignorant to reality". Are you saying there's no merit to anything he said?

P
Legend
Legend
P
No, I'm saying those who focus and act like the black community as it pertains to them addressing gun violence and black on black crime is a false narrative. I'm saying to pretend that that every black group that focuses on any other issue should instead be focusing on black on black crime is a dog whistle. It appears you had a problem comprehending the very post you quoted.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Your first sentence makes no sense to me, and I'm sure it's not a comprehension problem. Looks like a sentence from TL. I'm actually good at comprehension. You must struggle since you cherry picked the part of his post you didn't like, ignored the bulk of it, and then cried "foul". Then, as you ignore everything he typed about family values, you accuse him of ignoring the real issues. Seems like a pot and kettle situation to me.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I'll help you out here even though it shouldn't be required.

Quote:
There's a difference in something being a no no and being ignorant to reality.

Saying things based on "feelings" which facts plainly show to be different is because you are ignorant to the facts. Not so much of a no no as it is a wrong wrong.

The longest and last paragraph of his post focused totally on this aspect.

Would you like for me to address another part? The murder rate in America since 1950 was at its peak from 1970 until 1995.

https://sites.nationalacademies.org/cs/groups/dbassesite/documents/webpage/dbasse_083892.pdf

How about this one?
Quote:
Police shootings 3 killed, 6 shot

While that's certainly terrible, let's put that into historic context.

Quote:
In the five years between 1971 and 1975, an average of 125 officers were feloniously killed per year. Most recently, between 2006 and 2010, the equivalent number is 50. That’s more remarkable given that the number of officers employed has increased considerably since the ‘70s.

https://danwang.co/statistics-on-police-fatalities/

That's about all the time I feel like dedicating to ripping that post to shreds. Once again a large part of the narrative here is based on feelings and not facts.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Would you like for me to address another part?

Nah, You've avoided it to this point -- why bother? Just keep your radar up for the crap you post about 50 times a day and ignore the rest. I'm sure addressing the part concerning the decline of the American family is beyond you and has no business in a thread titled "American Society is failing" anyway. Carry on...

P
Legend
Legend
P
He was addressing many things that have nothing to do with that which is exactly the point.

Let's look at marriage as another example. Did you know that the divorce rate actually dropped, and not increased over the past decade from from 19 years in 2010 to 19.8 years in 2019? And that first year divorces are at a 50 year low? That runs counter to what's being portrayed here.

https://ifstudies.org/blog/the-us-divorce-rate-has-hit-a-50-year-low

But to some extent you have a point. I'm not going to try and have a discussion about "American Society is failing" based upon perception and falsehoods.

People have been saying the same thing for generation after generation for a very long time now and most of what they have based it on has been BS very much like the things I've pointed out here.

#gmstrong
F
Legend
Legend
F
He was addressing many things that have nothing to do with that which is exactly the point.

Let's look at marriage as another example. Did you know that the divorce rate actually dropped, and not increased over the past decade from from 19 years in 2010 to 19.8 years in 2019? And that first year divorces are at a 50 year low? That runs counter to what's being portrayed here.

https://ifstudies.org/blog/the-us-divorce-rate-has-hit-a-50-year-low

But to some extent you have a point. I'm not going to try and have a discussion about "American Society is failing" based upon perception and falsehoods.

People have been saying the same thing for generation after generation for a very long time now and most of what they have based it on has been BS very much like the things I've pointed out here.

Just going from my perspective of younger people, and even older people, I know, it seems marriage itself is just not important, and they are forgoing marriage for just long term relationships without the legalities.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I agree. I don't believe a certificate of marriage makes a home any less loving or nurturing for a child to be raised in. I don't think two women living together or two men living together makes the environment any less loving or nurturing for a child either.

Since it seems some think I only wish to break down the reasons being given, I'll give a reason of my own. I only tried to dispel some of the myths being perpetuated which statistics had shown to be inaccurate.

I think the economic structure has a lot to do with it. My mom and dad both worked until I was old enough to go to school. Of course at that time the economy, jobs and pay made it easy for two people working in the same household to get ahead and invest even if they had a limited education.

So by the time I started school my parents owned three houses, two of which were rental properties. When my mom stopped working they sold those houses and bought one house in the country. Someone was home every morning and every afternoon when I got home from school. My dad worked a pretty steady five day schedule at a union job which provided well for his family. Only occasionally working overtime or week-ends.

As such we had a lot of quality, family time. Being a family consists of more than just living under the same roof. Having a lot of time to spend with family is a situation which exists less and less in our nation. Far more families require both parents work to sustain owning a home and a good living for their family. More children are home alone after school. And don't even get me started on how little time a single parent has to spend in quality time with their children.

Are there other reasons? Sure there are. But I do believe the biggest failure to date is the fact that families can now live under the same roof and have very little time to be a family. The lessons I was taught during that quality family time were some of the most valuable lessons I learned my entire life. Nothing can replace that.

#gmstrong
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... American Society is failing.

Link Copied to Clipboard