GMdawg #1863764 05/12/21 10:40 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
Pssstttt people who are on disability or social security ARE working people. At least most of them were for 30/40/50/ or 60 years. THOSE are the people who deserve a livable wage.

So only "certain people" deserve better wages even when doing the same job and everyone else can just bite the big one?

That is exactly what you and others are saying. Your saying young folks deserve it and old folks can go make love to themselves.

Actually it was you who said they shouldn't make more than you did while at the same time saying you too worked part time. You do realize that you would also make more, right?

Do you have any idea how much more you made during your working life than your grandparents did? Should during your working life should your generation have been working at a wage that did not afford you any spending power?

You seem to pretend as though that's not the way it's always been. Each generation has made more money than the one preceding it. Just look around you. When I was a kid you could get three pounds of ground chuck for a dollar.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
FATE #1863766 05/12/21 10:44 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: FATE
No -- six-year-olds can't pour coffee, but if anybody with a pulse can accomplish the task, how much should the pay be?

If they work 40 hours, enough to live. Nobody working 40 hours a week in America should be living in poverty.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
While McDonalds, and fast food restaurants were never to be 'livable wage' jobs - some want that.

Quote:
In his 1933 address following the passage of the National Industrial Recovery Act, President Franklin D. Roosevelt noted that “no business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country.”

“By ‘business’ I mean the whole of commerce as well as the whole of industry; by workers I mean all workers, the white collar class as well as the men in overalls; and by living wages I mean more than a bare subsistence level — I mean the wages of decent living,” he stated.

A federal minimum wage wouldn’t be permanently mandated until 1938 under the Fair Labor Standards Act, the same bill which prohibited child labor and limited the workweek to 44 hours. Even then, the idea was the same: ensure that businesses have to a) pay people for the work that they do, and b) that the payment is at least enough to live on.

“Without question,” explained FDR, “[the minimum wage] starts us toward a better standard of living and increases purchasing power to buy the products of farm and factory.”

https://www.thebillfold.com/2015/07/it-was-always-supposed-to-be-a-living-wage/

This includes all minimum wage jobs in our nation. There are no caveats. This is EXACTLY the reason FDR set up the federal minimum wage. I know what you posted is a popular myth by those thinking we should have some sub level of workers to serve you while they live in poverty. But what I quoted you saying is patently false.

#gmstrong
OldColdDawg #1863796 05/12/21 12:05 PM
Legend
Legend
Restaurants are feeling a labor crunch. Teens are an unlikely solution
PUBLISHED WED, MAY 12 202111:01 AM EDT

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/12/restaura...y-solution.html

Looking for teens for cheap labor, knowing a lot of adults ain’t gonna work those trash jobs for what they’re paying.

And now bigger companies like chipotle and such are paying people more, why in gods name would people choose to work at a small restaurant with a stingy owner and even worse customer base?

Either raise the pay or go extinct. I don’t feel bad for any restaurant going through it right now. They know they was out here getting a crap ton of hours from their employees with sweat shop levels of pay. And now they ticked off that the cheap labor doesn’t want to be treated like cheap labor anymore.

Adapt or die. That does speak to the heart of conservatism and capitalism, after all. Either do what you have to do to keep your business running or die off.

Man I’m starting to like conservative ideology. Conservative small business owners don’t give a damn about paying people what they’re worth.

So now I practice conservatism by not giving a crap what happens to small business owners. This is starting to get fun.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1863808 05/12/21 12:26 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Swish

And now bigger companies like chipotle and such are paying people more, why in gods name would people choose to work at a small restaurant with a stingy owner and even worse customer base?

Either raise the pay or go extinct. I don’t feel bad for any restaurant going through it right now. They know they was out here getting a crap ton of hours from their employees with sweat shop levels of pay. And now they ticked off that the cheap labor doesn’t want to be treated like cheap labor anymore.

Adapt or die. That does speak to the heart of conservatism and capitalism, after all. Either do what you have to do to keep your business running or die off.

While it's not pretty, this is how it should work. Companies are going to pay what the market dictates they should pay, or they're going to look around and see that nobody is doing the work. The interesting part will be how these business owners adjust to the higher wages. Even places like Chipotle and Starbucks and such aren't guaranteed unlimited revenue. If the business isn't at least breaking even, then what the people are being paid is actually moot, because nobody will have jobs at that place for long.

Last edited by oobernoober; 05/12/21 12:26 PM.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
oobernoober #1863811 05/12/21 12:33 PM
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Originally Posted By: Swish

While it's not pretty, this is how it should work. Companies are going to pay what the market dictates they should pay, or they're going to look around and see that nobody is doing the work. The interesting part will be how these business owners adjust to the higher wages. Even places like Chipotle and Starbucks and such aren't guaranteed unlimited revenue. If the business isn't at least breaking even, then what the people are being paid is actually moot, because nobody will have jobs at that place for long.

So.

That's like saying those poor plantations will disappear without slaves. If they can't pay living wages then they are not a real business, they are just opportunistic oppressors taking advantage of the working poor. Republicans are all about cutting entitlement programs; the best way to do that is to move people off of them with living wages.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
OldColdDawg #1863814 05/12/21 12:37 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
It's far far less dramatic than you're making it sound. With the example of Chipotle, the wages were too low, they found themselves without workers, so they raised wages. This is how it's supposed to work.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
OldColdDawg #1863821 05/12/21 12:54 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Plantations were around long before minimum wage. Let's recap one more time why we have a minimum wage in the first place.

Quote:
In his 1933 address following the passage of the National Industrial Recovery Act, President Franklin D. Roosevelt noted that “no business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country.”

“By ‘business’ I mean the whole of commerce as well as the whole of industry; by workers I mean all workers, the white collar class as well as the men in overalls; and by living wages I mean more than a bare subsistence level — I mean the wages of decent living,” he stated.

A federal minimum wage wouldn’t be permanently mandated until 1938 under the Fair Labor Standards Act, the same bill which prohibited child labor and limited the workweek to 44 hours. Even then, the idea was the same: ensure that businesses have to a) pay people for the work that they do, and b) that the payment is at least enough to live on.

“Without question,” explained FDR, “[the minimum wage] starts us toward a better standard of living and increases purchasing power to buy the products of farm and factory.”

https://www.thebillfold.com/2015/07/it-was-always-supposed-to-be-a-living-wage/

At the point where capitalism abuses its workers there are safeguards in place that are supposed to prevent that. Capitalism isn't an unbridled mechanism without limitations no matter how much people try to indicate otherwise.

So far politicians have circumvented this safeguard for well over a decade in a concerted effort to allow capitalism to take advantage of the very people the minimum wage law was passed into law to protect in the first place. We keep hearing excuses why it has become okay to have workers in America to work 40 hours for poverty wages. Enough is enough.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1864028 05/13/21 03:32 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Milk Man #1864044 05/13/21 04:58 PM
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
That's no surprise, all the GOPer states are starting to do that. I feel sorry for those that are depending on it for whatever reasons but not for those milking the system.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
OldColdDawg #1865126 05/21/21 03:02 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Milk Man #1865134 05/21/21 03:34 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I worked at Cedar Point right after graduating high school. I took photos for those stupid keychains. It was fairly brutal. The hours sucked as it was often split shift. Working from just before gates open until noon. Then from 5 until everyone was out of the park. And they meant EVERYONE. Even that last drunk dude stumbling from way back to in Frontierland to the front gates could drop $5 much needed dollars into the Cedar Point coffers. “Can’t close until he’s gone.” Stupid drunk. I’d crawl back to my dorm bunk at like 1am and have to do it all again the next day. I got paid fairly well. It was like $6 an hour plus commission for how much film you shot and how many keychains of yours were sold. On a busy Saturday I could shoot 13 rolls of film. Each roll had 64 frames. I’d make between $10-17 an hour. This was good money in the summer 1990.
The working conditions kinda sucked. Standing in the hot sun on pavement all day. I got physically ill from the heat one day. Threw up. They let me sit in the AC for about 20 minutes then pushed me back out to keep shooting film. It sucked. Especially because my roommate had a cush job. He was Papa Bear in the Barenstien Bear Country. He worked 8 hour days but was only on for 30 minutes at a time. With 30 minute breaks in between. Sure it was hot snd he took the occasional nut shot from a bratty kid, but still. He was also paid better as a flat rate. The performers all made good money.

The nights off were fun. Beach parties. ‘Summer love’. We had access to the park all night. It’s actually really cool to walk it after hours. So quiet. They’d open up rides occasionally late night. You haven’t ridden the Demon Drop or Gemini until you’ve ridden it 5 times in a row without a pause. Same could be said for any of the rides they’d open.

Overall it was an okay experience. I got fed up after a month and walked. Went back to restaurant work. Then off to college.

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
That's a great story. Reminds me of the movie Adventureland.

Seems like it would have been brutal being in one of those Berenstein Bears costumes, particularly if you were hungover.

Legend
Legend
My Wife did the CP Summer thing one year.

She worked the arcade. Back than, the workers called it "The Animal Shelter."

She called her folks after the first month, wanting to come home. They told her to stay, and take responsibility. "We're not raising you to be a quitter..."

She described the place much as you do, but her experience was 20 years earlier. I guess Human Nature doesn't change.

A couple of classmates did the theater thing one summer. You may have envied some of their perks, but they thought it was brutal, too. Same show(s) all summer. Nobody felt like practicing for the new school year's private lessons.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Automation

Link Copied to Clipboard