Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
E
Legend
Legend
E
Frankly I can not understand how a professional evaluator can miss so badly.

Many of the experts had Coleman as the #1 WR of that year.

Scary for me and I did voice it from the get go.

That was probably one of the worst. We had Analytics...how the heck did it come up with us taking 4 FOUR!!! WRs in probably the worst WR class in a decade??? FOUR!?!? and the only one making it is the LAST one we took Higgins. Probably the only one we should have take in that class would be a flier on a 5th rounder. How could we invest so much in a WEAKNESS of the draft. I of course as a Homer backed all our picks and the guys making them. But personally this scared the crap out of me and it sort of leaked out over posts. It just for me was one of the stupidest draft moves. I'm a firm believer in Strength and weaknesses of a draft class. So we go and take FOUR!!! in the weakest. Just mind boggling for me.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: eotab

This is absolutely correct. Pro Football Focus was one of the 'experts' who had Coleman the #1 WR coming out and it wasn't close. . . . I don't remember seeing Coleman out of the top 3 or 4 WR's in that class.

We tend to reinvent history based on 20-20 hindsight and it does bug the crap out of me when posters do that. Another popular reinvention of history is that Wentz was a clear cut choice at #1 .... I reckon there were perhaps 6-10 posters who wanted Wentz with the first pick we had that year. An equal number or more wanted Goff - and an equal number or more wanted no part of Wentz or Goff that high in the draft. People post today as if Wentz was a lock like Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck ... nothing could be further from the truth.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
E
Legend
Legend
E
yeah me and Bonefish I think were the two biggest fans of Wentz...lol laugh

I know posters seem to reinvent history. My pet peeve was the WR class was terrible and our brain trust decided on investing FOUR picks in the class crazy rolleyes banghead

lol

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

M
Legend
Legend
M
Yeah ... between signing Kenny Britt and the WR drafting, Sashi and Co did not have the WR position dialed in !

I think from memory Higgins came from that draft class? And it is *sounding* as if he may have turned the corner and might be a contributor this year. That or he's another training camp flash in the pan.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
And before Sashi we had Ray Farmer who held the opinion that WRs can be found anywhere and everywhere, but he could not find one. So we had two back-to-back regimes who failed to effectively address WR. Tom Heckert (RIP) found Josh Gordon and Dorsey brought in Landry. Between those two, nothing.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I knew I liked Wentz best so I did a quick user search and found this:

https://www.dawgtalkers.net/ubbthreads.ph...ike#Post1103986

Not a bad top 3! And had Coleman as my third best receiver and would of waited till the second to get him. Would of probably had either Derrick Henry or Michael Thomas instead.

M
Legend
Legend
M
You know, I think I had managed to expunge 'Ray Farmer' from my memory banks completely. I had a sharp stabbing pain in my abdomen reading his name just then.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg

Not a bad top 3! And had Coleman as my third best receiver and would of waited till the second to get him. Would of probably had either Derrick Henry or Michael Thomas instead.

You nailed it. Looking at that thread there wasn't another poster who flat our said Wentz as the guy. A lot (like myself) had Jalen Ramsay/Bosa. . . and then there was Laquan Treadwell ... man how he has been a disappointment.

Legend
Legend
This is still the most accurate prediction from that year:

Originally Posted By: DIEHARD

My Browns big board:

Round 1 - Someone who might start by game 5 but will be a disappointment to all players/fans by 2018 and be released early 2019.

Round 2 - A so-so lineman who could've been taken in the 6th round.

Round 3 - A small school prospect that never pans out.

Round 4 - Leftovers at some position we should've drafted in the 2nd round. Probably a small WR with 4.9 speed.

Round 5 - A kicker. Arguable, the best pick in the draft.

Round 6 - A QB who is just good enough to get people talking about him in camp, who will eventually get to play by week 14 and then get injured during a skiing trip in January.

Round 7 - Backup fullback.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Yeah, I saw that too rofl

He was off by a year on the Round 1 prediction though. grin

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
This is still the most accurate prediction from that year:

Originally Posted By: DIEHARD

My Browns big board:

Round 1 - Someone who might start by game 5 but will be a disappointment to all players/fans by 2018 and be released early 2019.

Round 2 - A so-so lineman who could've been taken in the 6th round.

Round 3 - A small school prospect that never pans out.

Round 4 - Leftovers at some position we should've drafted in the 2nd round. Probably a small WR with 4.9 speed.

Round 5 - A kicker. Arguable, the best pick in the draft.

Round 6 - A QB who is just good enough to get people talking about him in camp, who will eventually get to play by week 14 and then get injured during a skiing trip in January.

Round 7 - Backup fullback.

That’s a product of trading high draft picks and moving down for lessor talent. We’re still feeling the aftermath of those years for sure.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: ddubia
And before Sashi we had Ray Farmer who held the opinion that WRs can be found anywhere and everywhere, but he could not find one. So we had two back-to-back regimes who failed to effectively address WR. Tom Heckert (RIP) found Josh Gordon and Dorsey brought in Landry. Between those two, nothing.

We've basically whiffed on wide receivers besides Braylon Edwards and Travis Benjamin (and Josh Gordon, depending on how you feel about him).

http://pfref.com/tiny/dK559

Side note: Greg Little is in training camp for the Cardinals and it looks like he's going to make the team.

Legend
Legend
We should probably stop using this guy as our Director of Wide Receiver Scouting:

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

We've basically whiffed on wide receivers besides Braylon Edwards and Travis Benjamin (and Josh Gordon, depending on how you feel about him).

I don't think having whiffed on Josh Gordon is a matter of feelings at all. It's about his availability and productivity. To this point in time the Gordon pick has been a swing sand a miss.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I almost feel bad for them.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Went down a wormhole from your post. Found this thread on Michael Thomas.....it's amazing that I was so right on Thomas and SO SO SO wrong on Wentz (different thread I called him a 2nd day project ugh).....

https://www.dawgtalkers.net/ubbthreads.ph...ate#Post1073804

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Daryl Ruiter
‏Verified account @RuiterWrongFAN
21s21 seconds ago

#Browns couldn't get Corey Coleman off the field and out of the building fast enough. Not sure why this is such a hard concept to grasp. Ultimate addition by subtraction.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: mgh888

This is absolutely correct. Pro Football Focus was one of the 'experts' who had Coleman the #1 WR coming out and it wasn't close. . . . I don't remember seeing Coleman out of the top 3 or 4 WR's in that class.

We tend to reinvent history based on 20-20 hindsight and it does bug the crap out of me when posters do that. Another popular reinvention of history is that Wentz was a clear cut choice at #1 .... I reckon there were perhaps 6-10 posters who wanted Wentz with the first pick we had that year. An equal number or more wanted Goff - and an equal number or more wanted no part of Wentz or Goff that high in the draft. People post today as if Wentz was a lock like Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck ... nothing could be further from the truth.

I am not trying to give you a hard time, but I think you have some of this right and some of it wrong. I have an excellent memory and while there were a lot of people changing their minds [as is always the case] some of the things you are saying are incorrect.

And I am not tooting my own horn, because I said that Coleman would be the first WR taken and that I would not draft Wentz at number 2.

I was wrong......but, I don't like when people reinvent history, either.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Originally Posted By: mgh888

I am not trying to give you a hard time, but I think you have some of this right and some of it wrong. I have an excellent memory and while there were a lot of people changing their minds [as is always the case] some of the things you are saying are incorrect.

And I am not tooting my own horn, because I said that Coleman would be the first WR taken and that I would not draft Wentz at number 2.

I was wrong......but, I don't like when people reinvent history, either.

Hey - no problem disagreeing.

But what do you disagree with?

Wentz was not considered by many to be a bonafide top 1 or 2 pick largely because of 2 years playing against no competition in the middle of no-where. That was on this board and it was equally split on all the draft 'expert' sites as well. . . . Now he definitely made a late run in popularity much like Allen did this year.... But that always happens with QB's ... by draft day plenty of people predicted his selection at #2 but that's not the same as scouting reports that raised issues about his level of competition and body of work.

I'm sure someone clever can dig up old threads to show what was actually being written by us.

Last edited by mgh888; 08/09/18 07:03 PM.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I'll get back to you later, 888. I'm going to watch the game. Have it on pause right now.

And it's not a big deal anyway. Just a couple of little things.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
No catches so far tonight for Coleman in his Bills debut. Anyone know if he is playing?

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Legend
Legend
Callaway... nice!

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
didnt see how Coleman did. Maybe he was inactive

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Callaway is better than Corey.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
I remember Sashi and the analetics dorks being praised up and down for their drafting of Coleman

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
Don't add anyone. Just give Duke more reps.

I like this solution. Also throw the ball to the giant human who no one can cover more.

!

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper
I remember Sashi and the analetics dorks being praised up and down for their drafting of Coleman

I still remember wanting Treadwell that draft lol yikes

C
Legend
Legend
C

https://www.dawgtalkers.net/ubbthreads.ph...man#Post1108305

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
i thought treadwell was gonna be good..boy he is struggling as a Viking

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
i thought treadwell was gonna be good..boy he is struggling as a Viking
His lack of speed hurts him I believe

E
Legend
Legend
E
Higgins was our Last pick of the four...and is the only keeper and he came from a small program I think.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

E
Legend
Legend
E
Note: after the draft I love all our picks...just the way I roll...lol laugh

Got to look at what I say pre draft wink

I never say draft a WR...well I did one time and the guy is out of football cause he's a drug addict. But we drafted Trent instead...lol laugh

Don't know about archives. But I was in love with Wentz and stated it so. Bonefish was bonkers for him, I don't remember others Excel good to see you were onto Wentz also.

I know Vers remembers me pimping Wentz cause he stated so after it became obvious he was the real deal. One thing I like about Vers.

But we got our guy now. Nice to see accuracy for a change.

Got to catch some sleep as tomorrow might be my last golf in a while. Start Radiation and Chemo on Monday...man Chemo pills cost $10K...yikes. good thing I got decent Insurance. But man I feel sorry for those who cannot afford it. Thinking of starting a charity that will buy the pills for the unfortunate rather than let them die.

smh

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Higgins was our Last pick of the four...and is the only keeper and he came from a small program I think.
Higgins looks MUCH imporoved. I was encouraged.

Legend
Legend
We should probably stop using this guy as our Director of Wide Receiver Scouting:

No mas. No mas

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Prayers and fingers crossed, Eo. Take the fight with you. Mayfield showed last night; I feel better about us this morning.

Hang tough!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
I wanted Wentz too, but I got huge eyeballs from the so called haul we wound up with for the pick. crazy

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
John Dorsey on if knowing about Antonio Callaway's incident earlier would have changed his mind about trading Corey Coleman:

https://twitter.com/dan_labbe/status/1027677354917801989

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
John Dorsey on if knowing about Antonio Callaway's incident earlier would have changed his mind about trading Corey Coleman:

in other words we thought Corey sucked on and off the field ... and we think Higgins/Callaway are better

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I too wanted Wentz but I was ok with the trade. I saw good in both and my biggest concern with Wentz was injuries. And although some of the picks haven't panned out im still ok with the trade because I think mayfield is the real deal.

I also don't think Coleman is a bust. New regimes trade players all the time. Coleman wouldn't have been traded if the old regime leader was still here. I believe Dorsey felt it was best for both if we parted ways. I hope Coleman plays well although I feel bad he went from Kizer to Allen.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Wow! That's pretty strong!

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Corey Coleman Traded to Bills

Link Copied to Clipboard