Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yeah, it's like beating Northwestern is some amazing feat?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
The only way I feel a Conference Champion should be automatically excluded is if, for example, Northwestern would have won against Ohio State. I don't think that 19th (or so) ranked team should rise to one of the top 4, or 8 teams, even if they were to win a Conference Championship.

As far as Notre Dame, there is an additional risk for teams playing a Conference Championship game .... even against a lesser opponent. They skipped that risk. I think that should cost them, at least to some extent, in a final weighted scale to determine the final 4 teams in the Championship Series. 13 games presents more risk than 12 games, even if that 13th game is against a lesser opponent.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
The playoffs are going to be expanded they have to, most of the country is left out, who wants to watch games that doesn't include their conferences, the NCAA is coming under a lot of pressure when a conference like the Big Ten has been left out 2 years in a row and last year there were 2 teams from 1 conference leaving 3 major conferences out, it has to change and IMO I think it will if not next year then 2020, I for one won't watch the playoffs, I will be done with it when the Buckeyes Win the Rose Bowl wink and not because I don't like college football but because they have set Alabama up to win another title, ND and Oklahoma Don't have a prayer and Clemson is coming out of IMO the weakest conference in America ... Rant over

Oklahoma doesn't have a prayer? You're the last person I'd expect that line from. wink

I want Oklahoma to win I just don't think their D can stop Bama ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
if they expanded to 8, i'd rather have them just pick the top 8 like they do now with the top 4 ... who cares about conference champions?

Example: if the third team from the SEC is deemed better than the PAC12 champ, then go with the SEC team
I think 8 is too much. 6 maybe, but 8 there would be too much a gap in talent level from 1-2 to 7-8, IMO.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I think OK will give Bama a run for their money provided Marquise Brown plays just like GA last year. Hell - Bama has not beaten OU since 1963 - LOL - only played 4 times.

Same for ND vs Clemson.

Both games will be closer than the current spreads. Take the points.

Legend
Legend
The playoffs are going to be expanded they have to, most of the country is left out, who wants to watch games that doesn't include their conferences, the NCAA is coming under a lot of pressure when a conference like the Big Ten has been left out 2 years in a row and last year there were 2 teams from 1 conference leaving 3 major conferences out, it has to change and IMO I think it will if not next year then 2020, I for one won't watch the playoffs, I will be done with it when the Buckeyes Win the Rose Bowl wink and not because I don't like college football but because they have set Alabama up to win another title, ND and Oklahoma Don't have a prayer and Clemson is coming out of IMO the weakest conference in America ... Rant over

Oklahoma doesn't have a prayer? You're the last person I'd expect that line from. wink

I want Oklahoma to win I just don't think their D can stop Bama ...

They don't have to stop them, just score one more point than they allow.

#GMSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
True but they have a legit Defense ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Top 8 should be in. Notre Dame should be FORCED to join a conference for ALL sports. Period. Quit making excuses. Just join the weak ass ACC for football. It's not rocket science. LOL

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
D
Legend
Legend
D
On the radio (Bull & Fox, 92.3 The Fan) they're talking about whether Haskins will play in the Rose Bowl, due to reports that he'll be a top ten pick in the first round of the NFL draft next spring. I understand the reasons for not playing - he probably shouldn't - but I hate that this approach has become a "thing" in college football's postseason in the modern age.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Dave
On the radio (Bull & Fox, 92.3 The Fan) they're talking about whether Haskins will play in the Rose Bowl, due to reports that he'll be a top ten pick in the first round of the NFL draft next spring. I understand the reasons for not playing - he probably shouldn't - but I hate that this approach has become a "thing" in college football's postseason in the modern age.

Pay the players.

Legend
Legend
Another good reason to make it an 8 team playoff. These guys will play if it means a shot at a championship.

#GMSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
They use the excuse not to expand saying its to taxing on the players and also on their academics? Then why do division 2 and division 3 play a 32 team tournament? superconfused

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
They use the excuse not to expand saying its to taxing on the players and also on their academics? Then why do division 2 and division 3 play a 32 team tournament? superconfused

Because more of them will end up working for H&R Block than in the NFL?

Unless the playoff is going to pay insurance for injury for every player, a portion of FBS college football players would be taking a lot of added risk towards their future earning potential with next to nothing to gain.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown

Because more of them will end up working for H&R Block than in the NFL?

Unless the playoff is going to pay insurance for injury for every player, a portion of FBS college football players would be taking a lot of added risk towards their future earning potential with next to nothing to gain.

I understand what you're saying.

The other side of that is so few ncaa D1 players go to the nfl anway. What, some 224 get drafted?

Hey, it is what it is. Going both ways.

If they are afraid of getting hurt, don't play. Put in your 1 good season, right? Then sit?

I don't like it, but that's what the trend is now I guess.

Legend
Legend

I haven’t heard anyone use that excuse for a long time, maybe even prior to the 4-team playoff. If you have, then that’s cool, I haven’t is all. For me, I hear how crappy the teams are at 6-8 and how they don’t deserve the chance, which I normally agree.

For the most part, the teams in the 6-8 spots are normally 2 or 3 loss teams. UCF is odd because they’re an underdog non-P5, so anyone would want them in, but playing Bama? It would be a 70-14 game. Nobody wants that (well, until it’s happening). And Michigan? A 2-loss non conference champion that didn’t even win their division and gave up 62 points in their last game...them, in a playoff? Sorry, I just don’t get the need to see that. And who is #9? 3-loss Washington. That’s the team people would be possibly debating yesterday? Yuck.

I’m a 4-team guy but could maybe see why 6 might be justified (for fairness & more TV ratings). However, 8 just seems like we’d be letting a few trash teams in that don’t really have a chance (or deserve one).

Plus, that doesn’t begin to talk about the weekly pressure every team has to win. If we let in 8 teams in, OSU’s loss to Purdue means nothing at the time. It’s a footnote. Heck, the Bama/Georgia game would have only been about seeding if we let 8 teams in. We’d lose that intensity from college football. To me, that’s the one thing college has over the NFL, every game and margin of victory/defeat matters. Letting 8 in dilutes that.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
D
Legend
Legend
D
Another good reason to make it an 8 team playoff. These guys will play if it means a shot at a championship.

I'm not so sure they will play even if they have a shot at a National Championship. I could be wrong, but I don't think OSU had lost to Purdue yet when Nick Bosa left the team. In fact I think they were still ranked in the top 4 when he announced his decision to leave.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/12/ur...art_river_index

Urban Meyer retiring as Ohio State football coach after Rose Bowl, Ryan Day to replace him
Updated 7:33 AM; Posted 7:31 AM
Staff Photographer
Ohio State Buckeyes head coach Urban Meyer stands by his wife Shelley, after their 45 -24 win over Northwestern in the Big Ten Championship game, Saturday, December 1, 2018. (Marvin Fong / The Plain Dealer) (Marvin Fong)

shares
By Doug Lesmerises, cleveland.com
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio State football coach Urban Meyer will retire after the Rose Bowl, forced to end his coaching career by a cyst in his brain that has grown in recent years, caused him regular headaches and made him fear for his long-term health.

Ryan Day, the offensive coordinator who led the Buckeyes while Meyer was suspended for three games at the start of the season, will take over as Ohio State’s new full-time head coach.

Ohio State will hold a news conference at 2 p.m.

The news comes as no surprise, as retirement was one of the options available to Meyer as he battled the cyst, which caused him to drop to a knee on the sideline during the Indiana game. Meyer had brain surgery to drain the cyst in the spring of 2014, and another surgery is an option for treatment. But Meyer knew he couldn’t go on the way things were this season.

Meyer is 82-9 at in seven seasons at Ohio State, with a 7-0 record against Michigan and three Big Ten titles. Seven years was the longest he lasted at any of the four schools where he coached, following two seasons as Bowling Green, two at Utah and six at Florida.

At Florida, he retired in similar fashion after the SEC Championship in the 2009 season, then unretired and stayed at Florida for one more year.

It’s unlikely that’s the case now. Meyer, 54, told cleveland.com and three other reporters in a meeting in his office earlier this season that he wanted to remain the Buckeyes coach, and he would for as long as his health allowed it.

He has decided his health will not allow it.

Day will ascend to the job after his trial run at the start of the season. Athletic director Gene Smith is a big fan of Day, 39, who has been at Ohio State for two seasons. Smith is hoping to catch a smart young coach on the rise, much as Oklahoma did when Bob Stoops retired before the 2017 season and Lincoln Riley took over, leading the Sooners to playoff berths in his first two seasons.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
D
Legend
Legend
D
That makes me very happy .. i’ve Always rooted for and like u guys right up til the day u hired this POC to replace your previous POC (finding out what he did really hurt me in that i fell for that guys “line” about helping the disadvantage .... turns out that wasn’t the case at all ... ) ..

I can root for u guys again ... i really dig them helmets when they get filled up with buckeyes .. thumbsup

Legend
Legend
potential plot twist: Urban is now the front runner for the Browns HC opening.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
D
Legend
Legend
D
Ya know ... and i dont believe that for a second ... i believe NO ONE has any clue ...

LOVE how KING JOHN is appearantly going to handle everything ... uni colors are now treated like they are a matter of NATIONAL SECURITY ... good luck getting on sumptin this big ...

Wonder if Condi’s slid down to #2 ... wink

I could NEVER really root for the guy ... but in the NFL the main reason i can’t stand him will go away ... he can’t LIE to teenage boys anymore ... they wont be college kids anymore ...

And honestly ... i dont see Dorsey putting all his eggs in a dude with ZERO NFL experience ... it could happen but IMO any college coaches with limited to no nfl experience will have a long long way to go to get the job .. they’d have to beyond VERY IMPRESIVE they’d have to be MIND BLOWING good to get it ..

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish
potential plot twist: Urban is now the front runner for the Browns HC opening.

potential plot twist: Tim Tebow is now the front runner for the Browns QB.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
That's a shame. OSU was Meyer's dream job, and he won a National Championship here. I know that he hoped to continue to coach for at least 1 more year.

I hope that he is able to deal with the brain cyst, and eliminate some of the extreme pain he has been under.

I am really happy that Day is being elevated to the position. I do think that he is the next great young head coach.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I think a lot of people saw this retirement coming. I think the cyst was a huge factor, but I also think the abuse that he and his wife took earlier this year from the national media factored into the situation.

It bothers me that a lot of people automatically listen to reporters who have a history of slandering coaches, players, and programs while completely ignoring the words of former players. They call Urban a POC or POS. His players don't feel that way and have always spoken very highly of the man.

I don't think Urban is a saint. I think he is like almost every other coach at big-time collegiate programs. His misfortune was that he was beating Alabama and a certain reporter made a career of championing 'Bama and tearing down guys like Urban.

I do not think Urban will move to the NFL. His offensive philosophy is not really suited for the professional game and I doubt he would want to put up w/all the crap that NFL players get away with.

I think Day is a good choice to replace him, but I worry about recruiting. Urban is as good of a recruiter as there is in college football. He constantly drew superior talent to both Florida and then Ohio State. Recruiting is the name of the game in college football and Urban was masterful at it.

Legend
Legend
tough to see Urban go, in my opinion. He's been a great coach

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Legend
Legend
C
Urban Meyer looked like he was going to have a stroke on the sideline several times this year. Good call by him.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
ESPN still butthurt he left the SEC so they are playing up this narrative that "he'll be back". He's 54, made generational wealth, has plenty of broadcasting opportunities and has had two separate health scares now. On top of that why would he leave an elite program to go somewhere else.

He's done, you'll see him on set next fall.

D
Legend
Legend
D
If your reffering to me about being led by the nose by anyone much less a reporter ... your DEAD NUTS WRONG ...

HOW he drew the elite talent to UF is why he is a POC and SCUMBAG in my book ...

College recruiting is as bad as politics ... well Urban and Saban were the bottom of the barrel in a conference that was the bottom of the barrel when it came to recruiting ...

My KNOWLEDGE comes from two places ... following it religiously back then and my contact from ND ...

I have no clue what he did at OSU ... i quit following it and my contact didn’t bring him up ... my contact retired 3 years ago .... we seem to compete with him a lot more when he was at UF then at OSU ... not sure why ... OSU is national now and has been for a long time ... maybe the sheer numbers of the kids on the southern SEC states ... i don’t know ... ohio is right there with Florida and Texas when it comes to football talent ... guess just the sheer # of states the sec covers and at OSU U guys get almost every HS STUD and theres a lot of studs in ohio ...

I dont know ...

I really like OSU and i dont like trashing people .. i really dont .. he did some really rotten things at U of F ... not a good dude ...

No sense for me to talk about it anymore ... can’t lead to anything positive and i have no desire to “fight” with anyone anymore much less u ...

I hope alls well dawg ... your missed around here ...

If i dont talk to u ... enjoy your holidays ... thumbsup

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Do you think maybe your contact at Notre Dame was a little bit biased? Maybe a little bit resentful too, given that both UF (during Meyer's tenure) and OSU regularly out-recruited ND..

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Is this also the same contact that had you juiced up for Brady Quinn? wink

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: BpG
ESPN still butthurt he left the SEC so they are playing up this narrative that "he'll be back". He's 54, made generational wealth, has plenty of broadcasting opportunities and has had two separate health scares now. On top of that why would he leave an elite program to go somewhere else.

ESPN is the worst. It used to be that they'd just have two talking heads yell at each other with manufactured, opposing viewpoints. It's gone downhill from there.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Absolutely not .... I KNOW he was ... *L* ...

He bled ND blue and gold ... great guy ... 26 years military before he went to ND ... extremely reasonable except in that case .... *L* ..

I never had even a little ill will toward Urban ... he took a lot of heat ... i wasn’t thrilled with him ... then about two weeks after he was hired Lou Holtz came out .and said ... and u gotta remember ... Lou is like a god on ND’s campus ... i personally love the man ... loved him before he went to nd ...

Lou came out and said that Urban called him ... more than once ... and his last bit of advice on the last phone call was “ if winning is what is most important to U take the UF job “ ... when i read that ... i had no ill will toward Urban and wished him nuttin nut the best ... always liked the gators til then also ... Urban was an up and coming offensive mind going to a school i liked .... I certainly couldnt root for Miami or FSU .. so i was a gator in that state by default .. *L* ...

I never felt ill will towards Art and still dont til this day ... the city messed with him and basically said only way your geting a new deal was to move ... BAD TIMING cause Baltimore had lost there team and been unsuccesfgul in two prior bids to get teams to move there .. they were used as negotiating pawns ... that wasn’t happening again ... they make a deal with some major hurdles including guaranteeing him a 30 mill profit for like the first 3 years ... cant remember the exact number ...

Ya .. he was EXTREMELY BIASED ... i followed it religiously back then ... i got 2 or 3 big pieces of info from him .. one was verified later in the paper ... never got any verification on the other one ... but everything else he ever said was true .. so although he was biased i tend to believe him ...

Legend
Legend
yeah, there were times this year where he looked in physical pain

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Legend
Legend
D
Is this also the same contact that had you juiced up for Brady Quinn? wink

*LOL* ... actually no ... that was solely on me ...

I met him ... he was a sophomore and still a good dude ... guess his head swelled during his senior year ... its not so big anymore ... *L* ...

I actually met him through my brothers best friend in HS up until the day he died ... his name was Greg Pelletier ... he was co- player of the week in d-1 a with Steve McNair one week ... he went to UB ... university of buffalo ... for those that aren’t from there and would have no clue what UB was .. *L* ..

Anyhow ... Greg went on to coach at a local HS ... a kid that played for Greg went to ND and was one of Brady’s 3 freshman roommates .... they were good friends .. i actually met BQ through him ...

Greg died of cancer about 5 years ago now .. he left behind a wife and 6 or 7 year old son at the time ... a real shame .. he was one of the good ones ... just a great guy ... i’m 12 years older than my brother ... was fun watching Greg grow and fulfill his dream of becoming a Hs coach and making a difference ...

Naaa ... i can’t pawn BQ off on anyone but me ... it WAS THE WEIGHTS i tell ya .... *L*

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
So let me get this straight. The reason you rail on Urban Meyer and call him a POS is because you once had a contact at Notre Dame who told you Urban Meyer had terrible/unethical recruiting practices.

Yet these were never reported on or confirmed by anyone. You just believe this as true without reservation because he happened to get a couple unrelated things right? That seems unreasonable.

Everything I see is that Urban Meyer is an honorable family man, and I'm not going to let some biased, second-hand source who could greatly embellish or even make up stories change my mind on that.

Now we both know that shady stuff goes on during recruiting, and I'm not going to say he was exempt from that. I doubt any of the teams in the playoffs are exempt from that for that matter.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

Naaa ... i can’t pawn BQ off on anyone but me ... it WAS THE WEIGHTS i tell ya .... *L*

Weights and dianabol, maybe

Legend
Legend
Roger that. I am a fan of the man. I was surprised to say the least. Quite a program with solid success. Nothing but the best to him and his. Hope his health is improved by this if possible. Thanks, Urban. Go, Bucks.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
agreed

Thanks for all your contributions to the Ohio State University, Urban. You will be missed.

Buckeye faithful wish you good luck, good health, and good fortune going forward.

Ryan Day has big shoes to fill but he's as good of a man as any to do the job.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Reece Davis trying to be kind to Urban Meyer is like Sitting Bull Being nice to Custer !!!!

C
Legend
Legend
C

I think he’s back after a couple years. Guys like him can’t stay away.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Ohio State/ College Football, continued.

Link Copied to Clipboard