Legend
T
Look it up! Don't have them.

T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
Yesterday the 2nd person has died at a Gender Reveal party, a Man in Michigan caught metal shrapnel from a misfiring of a canon used in a gender reveal.
In 2019, around two days before Halloween, a would soon be grandmother died when the device a family used in a Gender reveal turned out to act like a pipe bomb.

This is also a common theme in fail videos of trucks crashing or arms breaking and injuries have been reported more than twice.

All for this ceremony that didn't seem to be necessary 50 years ago.
What's wrong with everybody huddle up, someone says, Boy or Girl and then have some cake.
Sorry for their loss.

Edit https://people.com/human-interest/gender-reveals-gone-wrong-videos/

Last edited by THROW LONG; 02/09/21 05:16 PM.
F
Legend
Legend
F
It's the social media / tik toc culture.

Everyone wants it to be big and on video so they could upload and get "likes" to feel they are important to a bunch of strangers.

I also noticed this trend in over the top proposals, prom invites, etc.

Even things like AFV (Americas Funniest Videos) tend to look more like set-ups than "moments caught on camera" anymore.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

More like 15 years ago.

It's a stupid "tradition" that has become a thing largely, as you said, because of social media and people wanting to keep up with or compete with other people. Call the grandparents and tell them how happy you are that you are having a boy/girl so they know what baby gifts to buy and get back on with your life.

yebat' Putin
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I prefer my option... just don’t have kids and get on with your life.

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
I could be mis-remembering, but wasn't a gender reveal party the cause of a California wild fire this past year?

No Craps Given
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
...or perhaps they’re a fun event to do over zoom during a pandemic when you and your wife are expecting your first child, and you organize some small things to do with family and friends that you haven’t seen in person for over a year?

P
Legend
Legend
P
I wouldn't give it much thought. Everything from EV's to gender reveals. If it's new and they don't care or understand the hows and whys of it, they think it's evil. The only traditions that count are the traditions they know and keep.

There's no room for other generations to start their own traditions.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
One of my best friends and his wife were expecting a few years ago ... he’s a big time prankster and clown, but usually in good fun.

Her family is extremely wealthy and appropriate; no joking around, not really fun to be around, etc.

They had their gender reveal at a really upscale country club. Lots of family and old, stuck up people.

My buddy decided to play a prank and had all of the cupcakes filled with BLACK instead of blue/pink. Kind of a self deprecating way to say “it’s not even mine!!”

It did NOT go over well haha but it’s a legendary story amongst my friends and me

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
F
Legend
Legend
F
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist
...or perhaps they’re a fun event to do over zoom during a pandemic when you and your wife are expecting your first child, and you organize some small things to do with family and friends that you haven’t seen in person for over a year?

That's fine, but it's not like they started this year, so that is obviously not the "reason" people do it.

And I have no problem with people having the gender reveal parties, I just don't understand social media part of it. But I also am one who just doesn't understand the tik-tok fascination either, or the "challenges", and all that stuff.

T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
In a 2nd link I didn't include the other day, I did read something about 25 total deaths from these parties including at least one forest fire that was caused and ended up causing deaths.

In a separate category.

2-3, now 4 days ago, I couldn't get the link to load, it's a Tennessee local tv network,
a person was shot and killed while trying to do a prank where they approached people with butcher knives.

So, some of those clown shows, well they were stupid to begin with,

Try this one, number of times a person has died in a noose, pretending to be a Halloween person that's in a noose. (it's way too many)

Check out, "dog shoots man", seems impossible, but.
duck hunters beware.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Please explain what a gender reveal party has to do with a fake robbery gone wrong?

Don't worry, I'll wait.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
2nd String
2nd String
My son and his wife had a gender reveal party 8 years ago. It consisted of cupcakes, these were pink inside. My 7 year old granddaughter is the center of my small world. The only exciting thing that happened that night was my wife drinking too much and letting her stupid out.

The Constitution shall never be construe to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. – Samuel Adams
F
Legend
Legend
F
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Please explain what a gender reveal party has to do with a fake robbery gone wrong?

Don't worry, I'll wait.

I assume you're talking about the clown with butcher knives part? tongue
I've seen videos of some guys that dress up like psycho clowns and pull pranks on unsuspecting people. Jumping out from dark alleys or behind a car, chasing them with knives, chainsaws, swords.
Only a matter of time until one picks the wrong victim, and becomes a victim. But sometimes you can't fix stupid. tongue

P
Legend
Legend
P
I agree with you there. I'm still not understanding what that has to do with gender reveal parties.

I do think they are silly. But let's face it, every generation has their own "new things". And I'm really having trouble seeing what is so wrong with this one. It's certainly turned into a social media world. But I've seen times when it's more of a family event than anything else.

My granddaughter is in college right now. But let me tell you, the day she decides to have a child, if she has a gender reveal party, as a future great grandfather I will be there. I'm just not understanding why this is such a bad thing or relates to fake robberies.

BTW- That fake robbery where the man was killed happened not that far from my house. I certainly don't blame the man who shot him.

#gmstrong
F
Legend
Legend
F
As I said above, I have no issue with the parties themselves, I just don't get why people want it plastered all over the internet, not including the ones that just post it so their distant family can see.

Maybe I just am more a private person, and don't really want everyone, including friends and family, knowing my every move.

That is more of my position. More about the "look at me" culture, not so much the reveal party itself. Although I think some people go way overboard on these things, but more power to them.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think we grew up in a time where we valued privacy. We felt that others had no reason to know what we were doing every minute. We knew people fought for the right to privacy under the law. It's something we assigned value to.

That simply doesn't seem to be the case anymore to a great extent. Much like yourself I don't really understand it.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
When it comes to social media in general, I'm definitely a 'boomer'. I set up my facebook account when it was still limited to a few colleges, and it was called 'thefacebook'.

My wife, who is a couple years older than I fully embraces it, though. She's in marketing, so I think it's that part of her that can't get away from it.

I do have some trouble separating the gender reveal itself from the social media aspect. I think the whole thing is simply done for show.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O
Peewee Herman held a gender reveal at a movie theater once...

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A Gender-Reveal Celebration Is Blamed for a Wildfire. It Isn’t the First Time.

The El Dorado fire in California ignited as a family was using a “pyrotechnic device” to announce the gender of a new baby, the authorities said.

The authorities said the El Dorado fire near Yucaipa, Calif., started as the result of a gender-reveal party.
The authorities said the El Dorado fire near Yucaipa, Calif., started as the result of a gender-reveal party.

Ringo H.W. Chiu/Associated Press
By Christina Morales and Allyson Waller
Published Sept. 7, 2020
This story was updated on Sept. 18

An elaborate plan to reveal a baby’s gender went disastrously wrong when a “smoke-generating pyrotechnic device” ignited a wildfire that consumed thousands of acres east of Los Angeles over Labor Day weekend, the authorities said.

The device ignited four-foot-tall grass at El Dorado Ranch Park on Sept. 5, and efforts to douse the flames with water bottles proved fruitless, Capt. Bennet Milloy of the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, known as Cal Fire, said on Sept. 7. The family called 911 to report the fire and shared photos with investigators.

A firefighter died on Sept. 17 battling the blaze — labeled the El Dorado Fire — in the San Bernardino National Forest, the U.S. Forest Service said.

The fire continued to burn actively and had ballooned to more than 20,000 acres as of Sept. 18. It was 66 percent contained, the authorities said. . It was just one of several fires that continued to burn out of control up and down California throughout the month, as extreme heat roasted much of the state during Labor Day weekend.

Criminal charges were being considered, but would not be filed before the fire is extinguished, Captain Milloy said. Cal Fire could also ask those responsible to reimburse the cost of fighting the fire, he added.

“I can’t speak on their behalf,” Captain Milloy said of the family on Sept. 7, “but personally, I can only imagine how terrible they have to feel for a lot of reasons.”

Gender-reveal celebrations became popular about a decade ago as a way for new parents to learn the sex of their child, often in the presence of family and friends. Simple versions of these celebrations often involve couples cutting open pink or blue cakes, or popping balloons filled with pink or blue confetti.

While these celebrations started out as intimate events, the rise of social media has turned some gender-reveal parties into spectacles, said Carly Gieseler, an associate professor at York College of the City University of New York and the author of “Gender-Reveal Parties as Mediated Events: Celebrating Identity in Pink and Blue.”

“As long as we have something like social media where a gender-reveal party is so visible — it’s all about the visual cues and all this performative aspect — you’re going to continue seeing that,” Dr. Gieseler said. “It’s a sense of connection, but it’s also a sense of that kind of competitive spectacle.”

Ms. Karvunidis, who lives in California, said in a telephone interview on Sept. 7 that she had ash on her house from another wildfire that was burning in the Angeles National Forest northeast of Los Angeles. “Could we just stop having these stupid parties and then the problem would solve itself?” she wrote on Twitter on Sept. 7. “Thanks.”

The gender-reveal celebration that sparked the El Dorado fire wasn’t the first one to end in mayhem. It wasn’t even the first one to end in a wildfire.

In April 2017 near Green Valley, Ariz., about 26 miles south of Tucson, an off-duty Border Patrol agent fired a rifle at a target filled with colored powder and Tannerite, a highly explosive substance, expecting to learn the gender of his child.

When placed with colorful packets of powder and shot at, Tannerite can fill the air with colorful residue for gender-reveal parties: blue for boys or pink for girls.

The resulting explosion sparked a fire that spread to the Coronado National Forest. It consumed more than 45,000 acres, resulted in $8 million in damages and required nearly 800 firefighters to battle it. The border agent immediately reported the fire and admitted that he started it, the United States attorney for the District of Arizona said in September 2018.

The agent, Dennis Dickey, pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor violation of United States Forest Service regulations, admitting that he had ignited what became known as the Sawmill Fire, and agreed to pay more than $8.1 million in restitution.

In Australia, a car ignited.
In April 2018, a car in Australia that was emitting blue, billowing smoke burst into flames, leading to the driver’s conviction for dangerous operation of a car.

The Queensland Police Service released footage of the incident to warn the public about “burnouts,” in which cars emit thick clouds of blue or pink smoke to signal a baby’s gender. Such stunts had become a popular fixture of gender-reveal celebrations in Australia, the authorities said, often leading to car fires and arrests.

In September 2019, a crop-dusting plane stalled and crashed after it dumped thousands of gallons of pink water over a field in Texas. The pilot and a passenger escaped major injuries.

A crop-dusting plane stalled and crashed near Turkey, Texas, in September 2019 after it dumped 350 gallons of pink water as part of a gender-reveal celebration.

The pilot, Raj Horan, who said he was conducting the flight for a friend, released about 350 gallons of water over a field in Turkey, Texas, a small city about 300 miles northwest of Dallas. As the pilot released the water, the plane began to stall before it crashed to the ground, according to documents from the National Transportation Safety Board.

In October 2019, a 56-year-old woman was killed when she was struck by flying debris from a device that was supposed to shoot plumes of smoke at a gender-reveal party in Knoxville, Iowa, about 40 miles southeast of Des Moines.

A malfunction caused the device to operate more like a pipe bomb, the authorities said, sending projectiles flying more than 150 yards.

The woman’s family had planned to reveal the baby’s gender by using “explosive material,” the authorities said, and hoped to record footage to post on social media. The device they constructed included tape wrapped over the top of metal tubing that contained gunpowder, a piece of wood and colored powder, with a hole drilled in the side of the device for a fuse.

The woman died instantly after a metal piece from the device struck her in the head, the authorities said.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/07/us/gender-reveal-party-wildfire.html

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I wouldn't give it much thought. Everything from EV's to gender reveals. If it's new and they don't care or understand the hows and whys of it, they think it's evil. The only traditions that count are the traditions they know and keep.

There's no room for other generations to start their own traditions.

Getting together to reveal the gender isn't the stupid part. The stupid part is trying to one-up everybody with the pyrotechnics and the live fire methods of the reveal. That's what is getting people hurt/killed, causing fires, etc.

Get together, pop a balloon, see the pink or the blue, have a beer and some cake and be done with it.

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't disagree that there are those who go over the top and do dangerous things. But I think you could apply that same thing to birthday parties or most any other event as well. I don't think it's limited to gender reveals.

#gmstrong
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
A
Legend
Legend
A
I suppose I'm the odd man out here, but I don't get the gender reveal things. I mean, others can do as they see fit, great.

Wife and I never knew, and never WANTED to know what sex our baby would be. And in fact, we didn't know until she was ripped out of my wife in an emergency c-section. And my wife didn't even know then. Anesthesia. Near dead, for both of them really.

That doesn't mean my thoughts are right, though. And it doesn't mean they are wrong, either.

Too much drama.

1st String
1st String
Well no kids not being married. And in that over in the having five nephews, two nieces, three nieces in law, one nephew in law, and three great nephews there.

April Showers and Easter 2024!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Peewee Herman held a gender reveal at a movie theater once...

Proving that his name was also his description...

he's here all week, folks- tip your wait staff.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Dawg, this wasn't necessary 10 years ago.
It's not necessary now.

I think they are vain and foolish- and can't wait for the fad to pass like Pet Rocks, Beanie Babies and 'clackers' (anybody remember those deadly 'acrylic balls of death' on strings from the '70's?).

just my .02
Others' mileage apparently vary, given the number of these things we see nowadays.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T

This is NEW! This death happened since I started this thread 19 days ago, not just digging up old info.

I don't $%#$% believe it, thumbsdown (I don't even remember why I started the topic, a whim while watching TBD)
Dang this is terrible.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
That had to cost a fortune.

#gmstrong
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
https://news.yahoo.com/couple-under-investigation-turning-waterfall-064835421.html

Couple contaminate drought-stricken town’s water supply by dyeing waterfall blue for gender reveal. This was in Brazil, so it's not just stupid Americans doing this.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Nothing Good ever happens at a Gender Reveal Party.

Link Copied to Clipboard