Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
crazy

So, I went to see a fat doctor on Friday. No, he's not fat, he helps fat people not be so fat.

With my back, and lack of mobility or exercise, I got fat. Really fat. I can't do a whole lot of exercise, though I am hopeful that after my last procedure I'll be able to hit the exercise bike every other day, or more. My exercise during the worst of my back problems, when I could barely even walk, was to eat. In 3 months I put on 35-40#. banghead sick

Anyway, I am not going to be able to exercise my way out of where I am, so that means going on a di .... die .... no .. a diet. I have ordered the protein shakes and such that the doctor wants me to replace meals with, so I will start this on Monday or Tuesday. (when my stuff arrives)

Anyway, our community here has been a source of support and encouragement through the years. (usually rofl) I ask for your prayers and or good thoughts as I undertake this lifestyle change.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Best of luck Y town! Slow and steady wins the diet/weight loss race.

And it’s okay to still cheat it once in a while smile

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Prayers are on the way Buddy. I'm down 36 pounds. Dropped from 250 to 214 and still have at least 24 pounds to go. It's hard man when you can't exercise. I cut my saturated fat by about 70 percent, (which also keeps my total fat and calories down) Don't fall over with shock but I also cut my drinking down to one day a week.

You can do this slim, I have faith in ya. thumbsup

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
Prayers are on the way Buddy. I'm down 36 pounds. Dropped from 250 to 214 and still have at least 24 pounds to go. It's hard man when you can't exercise. I cut my saturated fat by about 70 percent, (which also keeps my total fat and calories down) Don't fall over with shock but I also cut my drinking down to one day a week.

You can do this slim, I have faith in ya. thumbsup

Take some of mine then. rofl

I have about 110 (maybe 120) to go. My skinny fat doctor, who lives by this plan, assures me that if I follow his plan, I can do it in a year. (and he is associated with St. E's, and came highly recommended, so I am pretty sure he knows what he's talking about) Can I just fast forward a year please? rofl

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Thanks Dawg!

Legend
Legend
You got this bro.

Get an watch that tracks your heart rate and such. And if you have a gym with an indoor pool, do that. Aquatic workouts is the best route to go if you have joint problems and such. Huge rate of calorie burn and little to no impact on the bones.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
Legend
Legend
P
Good luck YTown. One thing about human beings is that we are creatures of habit. It's hard to replace one habit for another like diet. But once you do it becomes part of your every day life that seems perfectly normal.

At first it will be difficult. But as time goes on it will just be a part of your every day routine and you'll think nothing of it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
First of all, Love the thread title, more titles should begin Yeah....so....,
and prayers.

Ok, diet... is about what you eat, not about not eating. Nobody can sit and plan on a fasting continually thinking about what they are not going to eat and enjoy the time, so it's not about what to not eat but about what to eat. Cheat foods. I don't know what the Dr. says or advice given about shakes and such but,

The tempting allure of an unsalted can of cut green beans, only halfway consumed, because they don't taste great, so ... why spend more for the smaller can, get a full size can dispose or store the half you don't eat.

Now, cut green beans, are sometimes better heated, in bowl in a microwave is the least laborious version, and if they're not flavored enough, eh put some black pepper on it, everything's better with black pepper,
eggs, mac and cheese, green beans, bland chicken, everythings better with a pepper shaker.

And sometimes green beans, cold out of the can, check the ingredients on the side of the can, (beans and water) can't beat that, no worries about msg.

There's a unique flavor to green beans, they just get better and better with time, you are going to get to eat more green beans, and they taste great yum.

Now snack #2. I don't know how some people cook eggs, because, well, I recently had an experience where it was a big production, and I'm not about that,
no oil, no milk, no cheese none of that crap.
(And I don't know where advertisers get off claiming they use fresh cracked eggs, if it's a real egg, it's all cracked just before you cook it.
ok
one frying pan, usually those fancy non stick ones because that's all we have anymore.

one pan, one egg one fork, frying pan, medium heat, (the electric knob goes right to the 6 oclock, maybe 7, but not too hot, and set the timer for, (because that digital timer helps so much, for 8 minutes, and it's just a guide, I use it to watch 30s second intervals to flip.

So, Heat the pan crack the egg into the pan, now be careful of the raw egg cross contamination, ... use the fork to break the yolk, scramble stir it up, press it in, cook it until it gets really really dry.
and shake the pepper shaker over it.

Now if you want bread, use one slice not two, I suggest at least 1/2 time in the toaster for the bread,
but if I'm trying to lose weight
I suggest just one egg, and chew slowly, take your time, enjoy

And I do not suggest, getting an egg sandwich from a fast food place, it's not the flipping same, better off eating doritos' than going to some fast food places and doritos' are not a way to lose weight.

if fact if you are reaching for doritos' while on a diet, stop and go purchase a box of graham crackers, and some honey roasted peanuts,

These are my diet tips.
Graham crackers are better than doritos'
Green Beans are delicious in water plain no salt.
and the one egg cooked in nothing.

And the Super Model tip... " you can eat anything you are just not allowed to finish it." guide to portions.

And what the Bible says about eating, on whether to chose to eat or not eat of concerning food sacrificed to idols, from Paul.
Whether you chose to eat or not eat, do so unto the Lord, with thanksgiving, and do not put a stumbling block in front of your fellow eaters.

and, I also tell myself, a piece of chocolate cake is an important part of a balanced diet, it may be a "very" "small" part, but it's still an important part of a balanced diet in my opinion.
So you don't "have to have to" refuse to eat anything, just make sure it's a sliver so tiny,

well except potato chips, there's nothing good about potato chips as far as losing weight, or ice cream unless you're trying to gain waist size.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
lol Thanks for the advice.

My doctor wants me on a plan where I have a shake for breakfast, one for lunch, and a Healthy Choice™ frozen dinner for ... well ... dinner. I can also add vegetables and fruit ... which is good, because I enjoy both. I get 3 snacks, one morning, one afternoon, and one night. No sweets though ... but I didn't have a lot of those anyway. I can have one of the Quaker Oat bars for one snack, so that's cool.

He started out with this 800 calorie/day plan, and we moved up a bit to 1300/day, because the weight loss difference over a year wasn't incredibly different. Plus, I think I can do the 1300 .... rofl

So, tomorrow starts this exciting journey. No more eating out .... except for my birthday, which will blow up this plan, temporarily, this week. wink rofl

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Can I just fast forward a year please?

Nope then you would miss out on the pride your going to feel when you reach your goal. Your going to feel better both mentally and physically when your done. After you lose the weight maybe I can treat for lunch again thumbsup

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Sounds good bud.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Slow but steady. You have this. Check your pm's.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Can I just fast forward a year please? rofl

Nice try....but, no. That's not how it works. Ya gotta put in the time....no shortcuts! Sorry...and good luck.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
Be relentless! Whatever you can manage, do that, and a little each time you exercise. Prayers and healing strength for you anyhow. Good luck and keep us posted, Y! thumbsup

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
O
Legend
Legend
O
as swish said, pool workouts probably sound like what would really benefit you. I've heard that swimming is, in general, the most calorie-intensive exercise. If you can set yourself up at a local pool, I think you could make that part of your transformation.

That said... and as you mentioned, you're not going to exercise your way out of this one. Curbing bad habits is ROUGH! Positive vibes going your way. Let us know if we can help.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O
I feel for you Ytown. My COPD keeps me from being a gym rat as aggressive physical workouts are something I simply can no longer do. I ballooned up to 285 lbs. a few years ago and had to radically change my eating habits to get my weight AND diabetes under control. Since then I have lost a total of just over 50 pounds and it has been very frustrating, even infuriating at times.

Even two years into my weightloss journey my exercise is still limited by my health. I tried the 'chair workouts' and they didn't help. I tried walking, swimming, and stretching workouts; they helped improve my physical durability a little, but not so much with weight loss.

What worked for me was learning to be hungry. Eat much less per meal, but eat more often than three times a day. Three small portion meals with small healthy snacks in between helps to speed up your metabolism. If you do it right, you will be eating less food over all, but get sick of eating so often. This is the first step I recommend. Then you need to stop eating your meals and snacks BEFORE you feel full. Feeling full keeps you from burning fat (this is my opinion, but it works for me). If your body senses hunger it will burn more fat.

When I hit a plateau that I struggled with for months and months, stuck at 250ish, I was just beside myself and almost gave up. But instead I doubled down and went to 2 meals with 3 snacks a day, then to 2 and 2, then to 2 meals and 1 snack all still portion controlled. I finally found the point that my body started burning fat again.

Now I'm at 235 lbs, heading to 215 which is my target and what I weighed coming out of basic training, mostly muscle with about 5% body fat. I know due to age and being less physical that I've lost some muscle weight, so when I get to 215 I will reassess and probably go for something between that and 185 which was my wrestling weight in my senior year of high school. Right now, I'm trying to work through another plateau at 235ish. But I know if I just keep doing what works, it's just a matter of time. Weight Loss takes a lot of time when you are limited in your ability to exercise. Good luck bro, I hope this helps in some way.

EDIT: In moderation walking, swimming, stretching, and tai chi are the only workouts I found that helped and I could physically handle without aggravating my COPD.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 04/19/21 06:28 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Thank guys.

I appreciate the support and advice.

Legend
Legend

So much you can do in water. Walking in chest deep water.

I have been lap swimming for over ten years. Two, sometimes three times a week. Really beneficial. I have some
osteoarthritis kinda normal for age. After swimming you feel like a million bucks and then you take a nap.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Well, I started this last Friday, only not in full force. I didn't get all of my supplies until Tuesday, but really started cutting back before I had everything. I also had my birthday this week, and that wasn't exactly calorie conscious. I was at 325 3/4 # at the doctor's last Friday. My fancy digital scale tells me that I am at 319# even right now. That's not bad for not even a full week. The doctor wanted to give me an amphetamine diet pill, but I turned that down. I gave up smoking without any "cheats", and I'll do this too.

My only cheats will be a "cheat meal" every 3-4 weeks. Today is chili dog day at my neighborhood bar, (and they are really good!) but I withstood the temptation for today. lol

Anyway, that's week 1. 52 more to go. crazy lol

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
wishing you the best. I've lost just over 50 lbs since Jan 2020 doing low carb and exercising. My suggestion to you is think of this in terms of one day at a time, one meal at a time. Also eat slowly and small bites.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Good luck y town. I’m not a health or dietary expert (mine is not good).

I’d say if possible to exercise early in the morning (whatever you’d call exercise, because I know you have back issues). That should help your metabolism

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: bonefish

I have been lap swimming for over ten years. Two, sometimes three times a week. Really beneficial. I have some
osteoarthritis kinda normal for age. After swimming you feel like a million bucks and then you take a nap.

I love the nap part of that; the exercise not so much... naughtydevil

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
Originally Posted By: bonefish

I love the nap part of that; the exercise not so much... naughtydevil

Hey, you burn 50 calories an hour sleeping. And you're not eating. It's a win/win.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: sk8termom
wishing you the best. I've lost just over 50 lbs since Jan 2020 doing low carb and exercising. My suggestion to you is think of this in terms of one day at a time, one meal at a time. Also eat slowly and small bites.

Way to go!!!

From the start of the pandemic (March 2020 ish) until about Christmas, I lost about 10 pounds just by changing my eating habits, it wasn't even a conscious change. Working from home I had more control over the snacks around me and I would make a normal human being size lunch. A 12" sub is NOT a human being sized lunch and those are the kinds of things we would do when we went out at the office.

Then in December I cancelled the gym membership, signed up and paid for an online work out app, and started working out at home 7 days a week and from end of December to today, I've lost another 22 pounds.

Christmas 2019 my wife bought me "goal jeans" because I said I wanted to get in better shape. They sat in my closet for over a year untouched. They are now too big. I'm pretty much at the weight I want to be at so I've gone into maintenance mode now, still working out hard but I've relaxed my eating restrictions just a little.

yebat' Putin
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Great job guys! laugh

I am doing some basic stretches and such, because I can't do intense calisthenics. I am following this plan very closely, and have come in under my daily calories for 3 days in a row. I'm "hungry", but not "starving". I am trying to follow the doctor's plan for food as closely as I can. I need to ask him if I can add some different stuff. lol

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
I’m at 254lbs, would love to get to the 230’s. Walk the dog every night for 40 minutes to 1hr 20minutes. Probably make it to 240 by the end of summer. If I could cut out the beer it would be easy. Drink tons of water everyday, pop at dinner. It’s just the beer on the weekends holding me back.

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Look into Intermittent fasting, fast for 16 hours then eat for the other 8. weight should melt off

All Pro
All Pro
You got this YTown. You have the, “”want to” and that is what will make a difference. Don’t break yourself, but find out what you can do and try to push a little harder every day.

It’s easy to say, “I can’t” and make excuses. I have a rule that no matter how glum things are you can always find three reasons why God is great, life is good, and livin’ is easy. Latch onto those and push through it. You are ALL that is man!

---------------------------------------------------------

#gmstrong

We are not called on to be successful. We are called on to be faithful.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Thanks for the support guys. I am down almost 15# already. crazy

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Most one ingredient foods are the best for health and weight loss.

What's a one ingredient food ? Something that has one ingredient on a Label, as in a Apple, avocado,raspberry,chicken, broccoli, spinach, etc.

A container that lists Spinach,kale,chard, arugula all on the label is okay smile

Legend
Legend
Thanks for the support guys. I am down almost 15# already. crazy

Dude, that's nearly a pound per day. Pretty remarkable!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Well, I exaggerated slightly. I started at 325.75#, and this morning weighed in at 311.1# ..... so I am down 14.65# so far. wink

Legend
Legend
I am 73.

Started swimming over tens years ago. Over that time I probably averaged 2 plus miles a week.

The math adds up. Over 1000 miles in that time.

The good. I eat what I want. 5'11" 180 lbs.

I have not gained a pound in 40 years. Not bragging it is the way I have lived.

I know plenty of friends with weight issues. I know the struggle they have. Never make mention of their weight. Just try to encourage them to try and eat healthy and get whatever exercise that works for them.

Swimming for me is necessary. I have some normal age arthritis and it helps a lot. Swimming gives me energy and keeps everything in motion. It reduces stiffness. I have never thought it to be a hassel. I look forward to going. If I travel or miss a day. I feel it. I get back in asap.

I recommend swimming for anyone. Even if you just walk or use a paddle board.

Last edited by bonefish; 05/06/21 06:05 PM.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
So .... went to the doctor this week, and he was very pleased with my progress thus far. His scale had a different reading than mine did .... but he explained why that can happen. Anyway, down to 304# even as of this morning .... so about 21.87# lost so far. I can't wait to get under 300.

Today is chili dogs with fries day though. laugh Gotta live once every couple of weeks. lol

Legend
Legend
So .... went to the doctor this week, and he was very pleased with my progress thus far. His scale had a different reading than mine did .... but he explained why that can happen. Anyway, down to 304# even as of this morning .... so about 21.87# lost so far. I can't wait to get under 300.

Today is chili dogs with fries day though. laugh Gotta live once every couple of weeks. lol

Great job dude! You've got a lot to be proud of already!

Hot Dog Shoppe?

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Crickets. All beef chili dogs .... with onions ...... $0.75 each. laugh

Legend
Legend
If I get the craving for a hot dog I go with these

[img]https://www.kroger.com/product/images/xlarge/front/0007495618055[/img]

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Good choice.

Legend
Legend

Great job. Stick with it.

When it becomes habit the pounds will melt away.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Back to it today:

Breakfast: Shake and a small bowl of fruit
Lunch: Salad with 4 oz chicken
Dinner: something to make up the other 700-800 calories I am allowed.

I really thought this would be harder than it is, but it feels like I am eating more now than before, I am just eating better stuff.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Yeah .... so .... fat guy's going on a diet

Link Copied to Clipboard