Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
#1897008 10/28/21 01:05 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
So .... the Cavaliers are off to a 3-2 start on the season, having dropped the 1st 2 games of the season, then winning the next 3, including tough road games against Denver and LA. (Clippers)

I am intrigued by this big/little squad, where they play Sexton and Garland, along with Allen, Mobley, and Markkanen. Love looks like he's got his head back in the game, and Rubio looks like a good fit.

So far, they look like a fun team. They are in the midst of a tough Western trip, with two more out there, total of 4 overall ..... and a stretch of 7 of 8 on the road.

The team looks interesting so far. Hope this means they are starting to grow up and gel.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
1 member likes this: GMdawg
B
Legend
Legend
B
I have high hopes. Maybe not so much for this season, but more as the team moves forward. I really like the addition of Rubio. He is a solid player who can contribute on his own, but even more what he brings in the way of leadership to our young backcourt. He is showing Sexton and garland how to play the point in the NBA. It's more than about running and gunning.

The combo of Allen and Mobley can be a great tandem in the front court.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: Jester
M
Legend
Legend
M
The Cavs have definitely been a surprise lately. Beating three playoff teams in a row and holding them all below 100 points.

Mobley has been outstanding. Never leaves his feel and falls for the pump fake. Averaging 2 blocks a game.

The defense as a whole has been excellent these past three games. Spreading the ball around on offense and getting everyone involved.

Rubio has been excellent in the veteran role. He's out there constantly communicating with and teaching Garland and Sexton.

Love has even contributed positively.

Hopefully, everyone can stay healthy.

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Cavs play at the Lakers tonight at 10:30, hopenthey come out ready to play. Hopenthe Lakers put there best five on the court so we can measure the team vs the Lakers.

Legend
Legend
Would love to watch the game but I guess that's basically impossible now? I noticed my games weren't recording in Fort Wayne, but thought maybe it was a Youtube TV issue -- they change how things work with sports every 48 hours or so -- it's basically Russian Roulette.

Now I'm home in Ohio and the game isn't televised? Spectrum Sportsnet? What the hell is that?? Nice going Cavs and NBA, always taking every opportunity to lop off your nose to spite your face.

Maybe next year, ehhh, probably not.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Sorry to hear that, it’s 54-54 at halftime. Mobley is good!

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Good ballgame, cavs up 65-64, 6 minutes to go in the 3rd

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Haven't had a chance to see much of the Cavs but from what I have been hearing, it seems as if we are better with Sexton and Rubio in the backcourt rather than Sexton and Garland. Can you guys who have seen games and know basketball comment on this.

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Don't look now, but the Cavaliers are over .500, at 5-4, after beating the Blazers by 3.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

1 member likes this: Milk Man
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Great game tonight. Nice team win with the 3 players out with injury/health & safety protocols.

Love how the offense distributes the ball evenly.

Windler splashing 3s off the bench.

Mobley is leading the league in contested shots. Fun team to watch. Learning to close out games and beating teams that were in the playoffs last years.

I was at the game tonight and Mookie Betts was in attendance which seems wildly random. Greg Newsome at the game as well.

Legend
Legend
Beating the Blazers is a nice win

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Being on 1st shift now, I’ve been able to watch the Cavs. They look good, fast pace, think they really hit HR’s with Mobley, and the trade for Allen last year.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

What a game by the Cavs. Heck of a comeback to win this one. Great win.

Also, please get Sexton out of the game in crunch time. If nothing else, let him nowhere near the ball. He was sloppy with it against Portland and nearly cost them the game tonight on two straight possessions.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
6-4 though ..... and not a lot of bad teams among them.

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Cavs beat the Raptors last night, they are so fun to watch right now. They play the Knicks tomorrow night at 7:00pm.

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Cavs up 89-75 over the Knicks heading to the 4th quarter. Mobley, Allen, and Rubio having big games.

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Cavs win 126-109, really good win. Cavs hit 19 3 pointers. Cavs now 7-4

Mobley 26 points, 9 rebounds, 5 assists
Allen 18 points, 17 rebounds, 4 assists
Rubio 37 points, 3 rebounds, 10 assists, 8 of 9 on 3 point shots

4 members like this: Swish, Ballpeen, BustkeviousMingo
M
Legend
Legend
M
And they keep winning w/o Okoro, Markkanen and Love. Sexton went out with a knee injury tonight. Starting to see why the Cavs didn't extend him. He's not a good fit for this team.

Another great win. Love the energy and enthusiasm they are playing with. Mobley will be the ROY.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Another nice win for the Cavaliers.

7-4 is a really nice start to the season, especially with the schedule they were handed.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Evan Mobley is really, really, really good.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by cfrs15
Evan Mobley is really, really, really good.

No doubt lot's can happen, but he is thus far showing to be the type of guy who can flip a franchise. Add in Allen, Okoro, and Garland we have some solid young players. Add in the vet Rubio who scored 37 tonight, but scoring the right way is his goal and we have something brewing.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1st String
1st String
Mobley is definitely fun to watch and a player you can build around. Rubio playing well has also been a nice surprise

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill
Legend
Legend
Nice write-up on the rook this morning at c.com. Wish I could see the games here in Ft Wayne. frown

Evan Mobley lifting Cleveland Cavaliers back to relevance: ‘He’s special’
Updated: Nov. 08, 2021, 2:12 a.m. | Published: Nov. 08, 2021, 1:22 a.m.
By Chris Fedor, cleveland.com

NEW YORK -- Ricky Rubio isn’t typically gushy.

Playing four years overseas and 11 more in the NBA has a way of forcing a more level-headed approach. Prior to training camp, his message to young protégé Darius Garland was about not being satisfied with a bounce-back second season and needing to show more consistency. In October, Rubio bluntly said the Cavs weren’t close to where they wanted to be. He’s often the first one to point at the calendar, reminding everyone how early it is in this 82-game grind.

But Rubio couldn’t help it. He couldn’t contain his excitement. Not when discussing rookie teammate Evan Mobley following Cleveland’s 126-109 win over the New York Knicks.

“He’s special and he will be special,” Rubio said of Mobley. “We don’t even know how (high) his potential can be.”

Rubio had the best night of his career. He scored 37 points and made eight 3-pointers while dishing out 10 assists. He became the first player in NBA history to post those numbers off the bench.

And yet, he was quick to praise Mobley, the No. 3 pick who dazzled in his Madison Square Garden debut and continues to leave observers awestruck.

“First game in the Garden. Twenty years old. You have to give him credit,” Rubio said. “He’s really mature for his age. He knows how to play the game the right way. Scoring 26 points your first game in MSG is hard to do. We’re proud to have a teammate like him. It’s fun.”

It wasn’t just Mobley’s (career-best) point total. It never is. He added nine rebounds, five assists, one steal and one block. He missed just four shots all night. He anchored the defense and played at the top of Cleveland’s disruptive 3-2 zone. He shredded New York on short rolls and buried two 3-pointers, including one at the 5:50 mark of the fourth quarter while MSG was rockin’ and the Knicks were making a comeback.

With Mobley on the floor, the Cavs outscored New York by 26 points. The youngster outplayed Knicks All-Star Julius Randle.

“It’s a big stage for anybody. They said that 10 times before the game started: ‘The world’s most famous arena.’ And it really is,” Jarrett Allen said. “For him to come in and play how he did, career high, close out the game on defense and offense how he did, that just shows a lot of growth. He has a long way to go in this league. He’s going to be the Rookie of the Year in my opinion.”

When Mobley first walked into the arena, about two hours prior to tipoff, he could feel it. The atmosphere was different. But one of Mobley’s many special qualities is his demeanor. He’s never rattled.

“I’ve lived in New York. I know how New Yorkers are. I know how they can be cheering, yelling, saying nasty things behind the bench,” said Allen, who played his first three-plus seasons with the Brooklyn Nets. “But Evan stayed locked in for all four quarters, all 48 minutes. He didn’t let the moment get to him, and he played excellent. He works well under pressure.”

“Any performance you put on here is a higher stage, but Evan doesn’t care,” Bickerstaff added. “Evan shows up to do his job, no matter if he was at a park back in L.A., it doesn’t matter to him. He shows up to do the job to help the team win. That’s his priority. That’s all he cares about.”

The term rare is often overused. But it’s fitting with Mobley.

On Sunday night, he became the first rookie since Blake Griffin in 2011 to record 26 or more points to go with at least nine rebounds and five assists while shooting better than 73.3% from the field.

Mobley picks things up quickly and retains that information. He understands positioning. Rarely commits fouls, already seemingly mastering the verticality rule when it comes to contesting shots. Doesn’t often make mistakes. He handles the ball like a guard. Can score or facilitate. Spaces the floor. Erases mistakes on defense. Mobile. Flexible. Versatile. Switchable. Coachable.

Groomed by his father, Mobley is programmed to be unselfish. He often allows the game to come to him, digesting the defensive schemes early and taking mental notes throughout. But Bickerstaff has talked with Mobley about being more assertive. Bickerstaff even predicted that Mobley would become a more dominant force on offense as the season goes on.

Sunday night showed that potential.

Mobley said he recognizes opponents being more physical. When they press up -- testing his strength, handle and poise -- he doesn’t back down, using speed and athleticism to attack. When they sit back, he’s willing to shoot. If an extra defender comes, he uses the pass as a weapon.

“Each game I’m learning where I can score, finding my spots in the offense,” Mobley said. “I feel like each game I’m getting better and better at that. I’m just trying to do what I do on the court. I know I got my guys around me to help me do that. It’s making it easier.”

There’s nothing easy about what Mobley is doing. He’s just making it look that way.

Despite the opponent being favored in all 11 games, the Cavs are 7-4. Six of those wins have come against Playoff or Play-In teams from last season. They won their league-best fifth road game Sunday. It took until Game No. 35 last season. They rank 10th in offensive efficiency and 15th on the other end. Of the Cavs’ lineups to play more than 10 total minutes this season, Mobley is in each of the top five. He’s a fixture of Cleveland’s closing group and leads the team in minutes because Bickerstaff can’t justify taking him off the floor. In an exceptional rookie class loaded with star potential, Mobley is the headliner, one of just six with a positive net rating. He’s also still the league leader in contested shots.

The Cavs are one of the NBA’s ascending teams. Mobley is lifting them.

“He’s earned our trust. We can depend on him,” Bickerstaff said. “How many 19- or 20-year-olds can you say that about?”

https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2021...liers-back-to-relevance-hes-special.html

1 member likes this: Milk Man
Legend
Legend
Make this sucks cause I catch watch any of the games on Hulu

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Yes it does. Same here with YTTV. They all recorded last year, this year - nada.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I haven't been able to watch much at all this year but looking at highlights, we are turning a corner it looks. Getting rid of overpriced guys and getting younger and more athletic. All that's left is to dump Love and I think we will have that team we can grow up together. Mobley is as advertised and going from Delly to Rubio is a HUUUUUGGEE upgrade and might even be the difference. Just someone Garland/Sexton can watch and learn from. Hopefully this momentum keeps up

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
B
Legend
Legend
B
I am a old guy. I have been a radio listener my whole life. I go to bed early most nights...7ish....so I tune in to WTAM and listen to the pre-game show, then the game until I fall asleep. Many times I wake and listen to the post game show before tuning out.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I haven’t seen every game, but we sure are fun to watch

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Bummer.

M
Legend
Legend
M

T
Legend
Legend
T
The Cavs are going to be really good.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Tough loss tonight. They played the Wizards tough, but just lost it at the very end.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Tough loss indeed. Can't leave Kuzma open for 3 on two straight possessions.

Needed Rubio to hit the second free throw. Would've forced OT.

Legend
Legend
Sucks that we lost that game. We had no right to lose it … learning situation

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Made it to 3rd Cavs game of the year. Local sports nut, Greg Newsome II, has been at two of the three I've attended. My wife and I had a good time watching these future champions play. Tako Fall got the crowd rocking...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Okoro does all the little things well.

Go Cavs!

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Nice win for the Cavaliers tonight.

M
Legend
Legend
M

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
Sucks that we lost that game. We had no right to lose it … learning situation

I don't know exactly where it would fall in basketball, but in baseball, basically every team is going to win 60 games and lose 60 games. The other 42 games are going to tell the tale of the season. Maybe this loss is one of the "42".

I guess it is unrealistic to expect this team to win all of those 42. Any way we cut it, we have a young, inexperienced team still trying to learn how to play together. As you said, we will see if we learn how to win those games.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Milk Man

Beautiful play set up by Rubio, then great dish off by Garland once he drew all the attention for Mobes to finish.

I like it!

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Cavaliers

Link Copied to Clipboard