Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Legend
Legend
I need to invest in some crypto this year... I'm selling off some assets to reinvest in some other things.... mainly real estate, but feel like I want to take a small position in crypto...

I know you've said previously, but any suggestions on where to invest and which crypto... I was thinking of going with coinbase and investing first with ethereum... but frankly need to research more

<><

#gmstrong
jaybird #1875403 08/13/21 12:35 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Read back through this thread. I, and others, laid out a lot of good information that’ll get you started. If you have more specific questions after that let me know.

Addendum: I’d get Coinbase and Uphold to start. ETH is a good bet. You can stake it on ETH 2 and get 5% APY. Just know that once it’s staked it can’t be touched until they have ETH 2 fully operational. If you’re holding long term it’s not an issue.

[Linked Image]
S
Legend
Legend
S
I'm hoping they finally settle, but until then, I am gonna take advantage and invest what I can into these. I am excited about investing as it grows as well. I am really high on ADA and XRP, and VET is another i am hoping to drop some money into

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I’m really hoping XRP finds support over or around $1.20 and stays there. It’ll be a good indicator of the next pump. If it drops below $1 again I’ll be buying. My current per coin average is about $0.76.
I’m still down on my VET. I’m in around $0.16. It’ll bounce back soon I think. In the mean time I DCA to better my position.

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Check out HBAR. It’s the Ethereum killer. Similar tech and usage. A ton less energy usage and better speed of transactions. Ethereum had to develop ETH2 because the original tech is outdated. ETH2 is not fully functioning yet. HBAR is operational. ETH(2) will never go away but HBAR will cut into their market share in time.
In the meantime all my ETH is staked in ETH2 and earning me 5%. And my HBAR purchases continue to pile up.

[Linked Image]
S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
Check out HBAR. It’s the Ethereum killer. Similar tech and usage. A ton less energy usage and better speed of transactions. Ethereum had to develop ETH2 because the original tech is outdated. ETH2 is not fully functioning yet. HBAR is operational. ETH(2) will never go away but HBAR will cut into their market share in time.
In the meantime all my ETH is staked in ETH2 and earning me 5%. And my HBAR purchases continue to pile up.

yeah i have read about that one, have not dove in yet, but i am really starting to like the idea of these energy savers.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I haven't messed with crypto for years and when I did it was mining. I actually mined over 3 bitcoin when it first started. I split them with a partner back then and he sold his when the price was around $100... I held mine only to forget about it then later during a computer upgrade, I lost my wallet cred and my bitcoin. I did everything I could think of early last year to try and recover that info; it was so early I can't even remember what wallet we used or if it was a hard wallet text file. Major bummer when you see it trading at 50K and can't find 1 and a half of them.

Anyway, I've been watching you guys talk about it here and I read reddit forums about it and am interested again. But there is a buzz around this with blockchain programmers worried about world governments dabbling in and attempting to create and regulate crypto so they can control and tax it. Having no idea how this might affect current cryptocurrencies and the political internet freedom/screw the man minded devs that build and maintain them. Crypto was originally intended to be a currency not linked to nor backed by any government, therefore it is less likely to be manipulated, controlled, or seized.

So with that said, I would like to just caution you guys to those things coming down the pike before any of you go too deep and do not consider them. Basically, just saying.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I hear you. With that, it’s why I’m putting my money in coins like XRP… because the world banks are getting involved and using them. I’ll stack my pennies next to their dollars and ride it up.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Thanks Portland!!

Just got a short term rental under contract... so will have to put the crypto on hold until we get this one stabilized.... likely will be the last rental property we do this year so once it's stabilized I can research crypto a bit more...

<><

#gmstrong
Y
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Y
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg

Algo… I’m earning 4% APY (was 6% at one time)

Move your algo to the official wallet. Currently paying 5.63% however governance is going to kick in soon and that will pay significantly higher at least for the first quarter of governance, as much as 33% iirc, but more than likely will fall in the 10-15% area. At least for the first quarter of governance, you'll also continue to earn participation rewards (5.63% currently).

some info on governance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t7pARZYrr0&t=1645s

#gmstrong
S
Legend
Legend
S
cardano havin a real good week

T
Legend
Legend
T
People could have themselves a little ole accident.

There are more football fans than billionaire owners.
There are at least 10 times as many football fans, in the US, than billionaire owners of major league football teams.

Stadiums. If all the people of America took a vote, as if that would ever matter rofl

I think a simple law as much as, No Major league football stadium can be torn down and rebuilt at other than private expense, without a 400, million dollar tax per stadium, (from the private owners), unless that stadium were at least 40 years and 11 days old.

Boom, Every 20 years the billionairs want you the taxpayers to pay for a new stadium, or threaten to move your team to a new city because they are business,
and the Media in the US, supports THEM, not you.
So everybody's been bought off?

None of these stadiums they build couldn't stand for 40 years, they could stand for 140, except for greed, and taking from the masses to finance the few.

Buffalo, Carolina, D.C. may currently be in stadium situations, and Cincinnati may be in the near future.

NFL owners, 400, million dollars a year from TV deals alone.
But neighbors need to pay for new stadiums.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I don't know what that has to do with doge coin.

But.

In the ATL, Mercedes Benz Stadium cost 1.6 Billion to build. Taxpayers only paid 200 million. Arthur Blank ponied up the rest. It's the Stadium that keeps on giving. Next Wednesday I'll be in the Stadium's Harrahs club that has free beer and free food with great seats for the soccer game. My ticket price was 50 bucks. 70 after stubhub fees. Can't be more fair than that.

Not every place is a ripoff.

No Craps Given
Y
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Y
Algorand took off recently. For those that have it, governance starts soon (oct 1) so get yourselves the official wallet to double down on governance and participation rewards.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
J/C ......

China is really starting to crack down hard on crypto ...... so just be careful .....

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by YTownBrownsFan
J/C ......

China is really starting to crack down hard on crypto ...... so just be careful .....

Great... so I decided to finally put some money into crypto this week.... I look at this as entertainment money for the most part because I know how volatile it is and I really don't know what I'm doing with Crypto.... so far I'm only down 8% in a week!! I think my biggest loser of the week has last 13% in the last 2 days.... has been interesting watching and trying to learn, but I'm not sure I'm going to get too serious into Crypto right now... my biggest focus is still real estate investing... starting REI last year and so far that's gone pretty well, so would like to continue to grow that to help my foundation while also allocating some (small amount) of money to other things like Crypto

<><

#gmstrong
jaybird #1905980 11/25/21 11:28 AM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
The crypto market is down right now. It’s a great buy opportunity. Don’t look at the ‘losses’ you’ve seen as anything more than an opportunity to dollar cost average down.
Look at it the same as a down stock market. Don’t get spooked. Get aggressive.

You’re right though. It’s volatile. In time the SEC will settle with Ripple Labs and bring a lot of clarity to the overall space. Crypto isn’t going away. Too many big banks are already involved. I’m starting to see more and more advertisements for Crypto.com, and new crypto based ETFs and such on TV and in pre-movie commercials. It’s here to stay.

Get in early. This is your opportunity to buy Apple stock when they’re still working out of their garage.
That said no one new Apple would be Apple back then. Those that took the chance and coughed up some cash early reaped their rewards.
This is where the crypto space is currently… gambling on Apple…
I’m in.

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: jaybird
Legend
Legend
Thanks! Completely agree... any suggestions for crypto to look at in the down market currently?

Last edited by jaybird; 11/25/21 12:45 PM.

<><

#gmstrong
jaybird #1906005 11/25/21 01:49 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Do some research on iso20022.
Then look at the coins that are already compliant.
I’m bullish on all of them. One I’m really liking is Hedera Hashgraph… HBAR. At the price it’s at it’s easy to accumulate big numbers.

If you look back through this thread I’ve talked about my main picks. They haven’t really changed.

There’s one outlier I just made a mistake with. I’d been holding MANA for a few months. Bought just under $1 per coin. It dropped almost immediately after I bought it. I sat on it for months until I got back into the positive, then traded it for Algo (which I’m very happy with gaining 4% interest on)… Within a day of my trade Facebook announced the whole Meta thing. MANA is apparently tied closely as a cryptocurrency to be used within the virtual Metaworld. It’s now sitting at about $5 a coin and climbing. Damn.

Last edited by PortlandDawg; 11/25/21 01:57 PM.

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by PortlandDawg
The crypto market is down right now. It’s a great buy opportunity. Don’t look at the ‘losses’ you’ve seen as anything more than an opportunity to dollar cost average down.
Look at it the same as a down stock market. Don’t get spooked. Get aggressive.

You’re right though. It’s volatile. In time the SEC will settle with Ripple Labs and bring a lot of clarity to the overall space. Crypto isn’t going away. Too many big banks are already involved. I’m starting to see more and more advertisements for Crypto.com, and new crypto based ETFs and such on TV and in pre-movie commercials. It’s here to stay.

Get in early. This is your opportunity to buy Apple stock when they’re still working out of their garage.
That said no one new Apple would be Apple back then. Those that took the chance and coughed up some cash early reaped their rewards.
This is where the crypto space is currently… gambling on Apple…
I’m in.

I agree with you, Port, that it's here to stay; but I'd be negligent as a friend if I didn't point out that the "Pager" got this same hype when it hit the scene. It's the future, not going anywhere, everybody should get one... wink

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
S
Legend
Legend
S
xrp back under a buck, im gonna be making a sizable investment soon

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I had limit orders set that kicked in late last night for both XRP and HBAR.
Woke up with more of both.

[Linked Image]
S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted by PortlandDawg
I had limit orders set that kicked in late last night for both XRP and HBAR.
Woke up with more of both.

I timed my last dip on xrp almost perfectly, i think i got in at .67 cents and it only dropped a few cents before jumping back up. im gonna play this one closely, its at about .95 right now

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I’m holding a large number of XRP at an $0.84 average. So I’m still up there.
Bitcoin would have to drop under $10,000 for me to be upside down in my overall portfolio. ETH would need to fall under $400.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Who stayed in, and who lost a ton on these ... currencies?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

A
Legend
Legend
A
I would guess the losers won't respond. And I do like the question mark after ....these currencies.

But, as with all investments, things go up and down.

Legend
Legend
I recently heard that one of these lost something like 75% of its value. I hope everyone here got out before taking a horrible bath.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
I would guess the losers won't respond. And I do like the question mark after ....these currencies.

But, as with all investments, things go up and down.
[quote=archbolddawg]

I’ll respond. I’m still up on bitcoin, even on litecoin which are my 2 biggest holdings. Doge and xrp are at a loss but I don’t have a lot of money wrapped up in those.

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I’m still up on Bitcoin and Ethereum. I’m still holding everything. I’ve lost nothing. I still believe in the projects I’m invested in. Just like I believe in Tesla even though I’m down on my investment there too. Markets can be volatile. This is just an opportunity to DCA down.

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by YTownBrownsFan
Who stayed in, and who lost a ton on these ... currencies?

So the passive/aggressive implication of your post especially the last part ("these......currencies?") is you generally think crypto isn't a legit investment strategy or the future of crypto as a transaction mechanism isn't viable? Do I have that correct?

Further, it depends on what you mean by "lost". Many people haven't done anything with their crypto investments, much like their stocks, especially during this market climate and may have even reinvested more in their crypto portfolio based on potential value. I know I have with my coins in certain situations. So in this sense many haven't lost anything because they are not realizing their gains/losses yet.

Finally, and perhaps I should have asked this earlier....are you referring to meme coins like a Doge or just the concept of crypto and people's investments in general?

Tackles are tackles.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Whether it's crypto, stocks, or horses at the track... it's all gambling in the end. If you give it an honest look, none is really all that different from the other.

I'm similarly skeptical about these currencies. It doesn't help that they kinda get put in the same buckets as the whole NFT thing... and I don't care what you say... that's a straight up scam.

I also couldn't help but chuckle when the hackers behind the gas pipeline got the bitcoin wallet they used for the ransom payment repo'd by our govt... and everyone just kinda shrugged like that wasn't a GIANT black mark on one of (if not THE) primary pillars of the crypto movement.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
I've stayed out to this point. Got caught up in the frenzy a while back and almost opened my account. First, I'll say there was a lot of helpful advice here and offered real insight and strategy.

I was researching different "coins" and kept wondering why are there so many? Why are there more everyday? Doesn't this water down the investment and make the whole market more volatile? Searching for some of these answers, I ran across this:

A financial report this week celebrated the launch of yet another cryptocurrency, this time a new LGBTQ-focused coin that aims to "fight against homophobia."

If it takes off, the maricoin, a name which, as Reuters reported, is derived from a Spanish language homophobic slur, may be the kind of niche token that will survive in a very competitive field. Its founders hope so.

With so many cryptocurrencies, why do any of them have value?

Cryptos to "fight against homophobia"? Seems like the market is getting saturated and upstarts are just looking for any way to create a buzz and "take off". That's fine, but it just made me realize I'm not willing to put in all the work to sort through this web of b.s... and anything less is akin to stepping up to a slot machine.

Don't get me wrong... I like gambling, and will probably gamble a bit on cryptos, a small portion of my investment dollar is always gambling on something anyway and I've made money over time (with a lot of woulda, coulda, shouldas taking the tops off or watching the bottom fall out). This is a huge opportunity for huge gains in short periods if you target the right currencies... and as many have mentioned here, adequate "hedges" take a lot of the risk out of the equation.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
FATE #1947503 05/29/22 11:37 AM
Legend
Legend
Down $4k.... not planning on selling... put some money into VTSAX last week... if it keeps dipping will put some more money it in to try and get some sales smile

<><

#gmstrong
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... DogeCoin Mania

Link Copied to Clipboard