Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
bonefish #1864311 05/15/21 08:50 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
On paper, I agree. For the D, much will depend on the team chemistry, and you don't find that on paper.

I don't anticipate problems. I just offer that as a cautionary note in that it still needs to work on the field.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #1864319 05/15/21 09:19 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

That is accurate.

The thing that makes this all positive is continuity of the coaching staff.

We are all not far removed from: "Will we ever have a head coach and GM remain in Cleveland?"

It is not possible to achieve success the way this team has been run. Repeat Impossible.

So, to go from where we were 3 short years ago to today is astounding.

The vibe inside the organization is something we have never had. Everyone is pulling in the same direction. Going from dysfunction to unity is a massive change.

I have great faith based upon the adversity overcome last year. That this coaching staff will have these guys ready.

THROW LONG #1864332 05/15/21 12:03 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
We should be markedly better on defense this year. If it isn’t improved then something is wrong.

Our secondary was the most emphasized unit over the past 3 months. Just like the OL was last year. Heck, maybe even more so.

But what if the scheme is just flawed, and it places everybody out of position.
And thus other teams' QB's can run as well as, or better than, against this D, as last years.
Then consider now with more pieces of the puzzle acquired the team decides to run the favorite defense more often, which could exploit the flaw(s) in it more often. Just a guess...
I don't know...
Could be the opposite...
That's why they play the games.

Talent > Scheme..........by a long shot. If our players come close to living up to expectations, it will take a monstrous Huesque failure by the coaching staff to not be successful.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
jfanent #1864338 05/15/21 12:32 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Joe Woods is a good DC. He knows what he's doing. He got a lot out of our D last year and don't forget all the injuries he was dealing with. Guys in and out of the lineup on a weekly basis. With the talent we have and given time to play together our D should be very good.

bonefish #1864345 05/15/21 01:07 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:
You have to coach what you have to work with. Even though he was limited last year. You are still the coordinator. You have to deliver.

No question in theory.. But if you are given a college level team and expect them to complete with the Pros, it's just not going to happen.

I think Joe did a great job with what he had to work with. Well that and all the injuries and Covid etc. Assuming we stay somewhat healthy, This year, there is just no excuse..

Last edited by Damanshot; 05/15/21 01:15 PM.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
bonefish #1864349 05/15/21 01:13 PM
T
Legend
Legend
T
I think one thing is for sure, and it Narely works well for OHIO.
It seems real hard to avoid reading the press clippings.

Browns 23-19, just 4 games over 500 since Hue left.

The Ravens are 35-13 in the full 3 years.

(Now! If we want to say Kitchens'... if we want to say they could have been 9-7 instead of 6-10, that would still only be 26-16 since the mid season change to whatever coach in 2018. (And that's With Baker, and Myles, and Ward.) (OBJ, and Landry Too, largely).

And I have to try and ignore Jim Rome putting the Browns in the AFC champ game?, GMAXB! They have to make the playoffs first.
They have to beat the Texans before;... in their Home Opener,
(Do teams that lose to the Texans in their home opener make the playoffs?) NO!
One game at a time, (I know they open at KC)

A Long road ahead, to be reading? Press clippings frown

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
jfanent #1864364 05/15/21 01:55 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Talent > Scheme..........by a long shot. If our players come close to living up to expectations, it will take a monstrous Huesque failure by the coaching staff to not be successful.
I can't find 'Huesque' in any dictionary.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yet we were all witnesses.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Damanshot #1864367 05/15/21 02:58 PM
Legend
Legend
Hemilked a lot out of the D last year in spite of the bumps like injuries, COVID, social practices, and Sandejo to name a few. What you and Homewood are saying, indirectly, is if we need to slap a patch on a problem this season, well, we got us some better patches. Feeling good going into this meat grinder compared to Huey and the last few years.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
bonefish #1864453 05/16/21 02:54 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: bonefish

That is accurate.

The thing that makes this all positive is continuity of the coaching staff.

We are all not far removed from: "Will we ever have a head coach and GM remain in Cleveland?"

It is not possible to achieve success the way this team has been run. Repeat Impossible.

So, to go from where we were 3 short years ago to today is astounding.

The vibe inside the organization is something we have never had. Everyone is pulling in the same direction. Going from dysfunction to unity is a massive change.

I have great faith based upon the adversity overcome last year. That this coaching staff will have these guys ready.

I agree Bone I too have been bitten by the vibe the feeling coming from Berea it is our turn and it's going to be better then we could ever imagine.

It has been my long standing dream to see my Brown's lift the Lombardi and finally I believe like never before that dream is about to be realized. With the depth and commitment across the board to winning as a team to face embrace and overcome adversity this team stands on the edge of greatness and we get to come along for the ride.

What more is there to say? What more could any fan ask for this team looks like no other Browns team I have ever been witness too. They are deep and they are oh so good/great. It starts where it ended we have some unfinished business in KC and I can think of no better way to kick off our run then where it ended.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
bonefish #1864455 05/16/21 03:57 PM
T
Legend
Legend
T
One of the Questions for the Browns, well a couple,
1, Just who are the top 5 Db's, maybe 6 Dbs' in the dime, or big nickel,
Who are the top 5 Db's on the Browns Roster.

2. What is the total number of games, wherein 3 or more of those top 5 Db's, will be out of the line up for the same Game.

Zero
Zero- 0.5
Zero- 0.75
Zero- 0.85
Or The **@*#*#* World's gonna end! banghead

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

At times I have to pinch myself.

Am I dreaming or what?

I told my son I will put my head on the pillow for sleep. Then I start to go over each position. Then go to the backups of each position.

After that exercise I reflect of what Berry and Stefanski have done.

It is not a matter of first and second year. It is about the logic of decisions. How things are handled. How people conduct themselves. How the players have responded to the coaches.

In simple terms it is the difference between amatuer and professional.

We are now have a professional organization. They have a plan. They work the plan.

The way free agency and the draft were handled. The players signed and selected. Decisions on the roster.

Even though I liked Sheldon Richardson. I understand the move. I would like him back. But I understand not paying that money on Sheldon at that position.

It is a mixture of analytics, salary cap, age, and priorities.

PFF is interesting in how they analyse roster moves. They really deep dive into each decision. Not in a right or wrong opinion format but the logic behind the decision.
They love what the Browns have done A+ grade.

We are going to be a force in the NFL for a long time.

This is just the beginning.

bonefish #1864467 05/16/21 07:12 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
Johnny Johnson was a big addition in FA. A highly-rated safety who can be a leader back there.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
bonefish #1864495 05/17/21 05:59 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: bonefish

At times I have to pinch myself.

Am I dreaming or what?

I told my son I will put my head on the pillow for sleep. Then I start to go over each position. Then go to the backups of each position.

After that exercise I reflect of what Berry and Stefanski have done.

It is not a matter of first and second year. It is about the logic of decisions. How things are handled. How people conduct themselves. How the players have responded to the coaches.

In simple terms it is the difference between amatuer and professional.

We are now have a professional organization. They have a plan. They work the plan.

The way free agency and the draft were handled. The players signed and selected. Decisions on the roster.

Even though I liked Sheldon Richardson. I understand the move. I would like him back. But I understand not paying that money on Sheldon at that position.

It is a mixture of analytics, salary cap, age, and priorities.

PFF is interesting in how they analyse roster moves. They really deep dive into each decision. Not in a right or wrong opinion format but the logic behind the decision.
They love what the Browns have done A+ grade.

We are going to be a force in the NFL for a long time.

This is just the beginning.

It's going to be interesting to see what teams try to do to exploit our weaknesses when I roll that around in my head a bit I just can't find any. This team is deep and fast and built to compliment each phase of the game.

We now have the team speed to deal with players like Kelce and Hunt, and Jackson as well. They are likely to try to run on us and they may have some measure of success but when you can't throw the ball and our offense is taking apart you're defense it becomes difficult or even impossible to keep up.

This team is unbelievable IMO. This is the kind of build that creates dynasties. It's not hype either.

I too would give every move made an A+.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Also, Stefanski helped the players reach another level mentally last season. We were resilient, disciplined, prepared and confident to a degree I hadn't seen since the 80s'. Putting that together with the physical talents on this team. It should be even better this year. Wow!

guard dawg #1864499 05/17/21 06:29 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: guard dawg
Also, Stefanski helped the players reach another level mentally last season. We were resilient, disciplined, prepared and confident to a degree I hadn't seen since the 80s'. Putting that together with the physical talents on this team. It should be even better this year. Wow!

Guard you captured it perfectly, well said.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

guard dawg #1864500 05/17/21 06:49 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

That is an excellent point.

Kevin has poured a mind set. There is no whinning.

Adapt and overcome. Everyone has a role. Be prepared and be ready to contribute.

Work hard and find a way.

Now the players know exactly how their coach will handle things and what he expects from them.

bonefish #1864505 05/17/21 07:36 AM
T
Legend
Legend
T
What if, the reason they went 6-10, in 2019, were the 12 games Greedy actually played in. He had 2 Pbu's in 2 years, 35% of games.

I don't know what the Browns are going to do at corner without Mitchell, maybe one of these UDFA's will work out.

guard dawg #1864512 05/17/21 08:35 AM
Legend
Legend

Since the days of Marty....

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
THROW LONG #1864514 05/17/21 08:43 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Do you know what free agents were signed and who was drafted first?

Mitchell was a backup. Forced to start because of the Greedy injury.

Maybe you should go to Cleveland.com and look at the roster page. Then look at who the corners are and their profiles.

bonefish #1864527 05/17/21 10:20 AM
T
Legend
Legend
T
grin I check those a hundred times a year sometimes. This is not about knowing who was signed, this is a difference in the interpretation of how effective things go because of those signings.

I refuse to buy in to the group think. Rather, I'm pre-disposed, personality wise, that the more group think I hear reinforced, the LESS LIKELY I AM TO BELIEVE IT!
because I've been burned too many times before.

There has to be another way to look at things, Unpopular or not! This Browns Defense!
has a potential,
to take a major, step, back, this year.
1. Most people are underplaying how well it played last year, in,, especially in regards to Run Defense.

Richardson Vernon, claibourne, Sendejo, Mitchell, Thomas, Kevin Johnson, (I'm forgetting a Db), are not returning to the defense.
It's always been my opinion players who leave a team hurt it more than players who join a team help it, if they are even 35/65 comparable, at least in the short run.
I remember every off season add from JJ3 to Square, Troy Hill may have been first, but the team, media machine, may be overselling some of their greatness.
... Maybe Walker was earlier,
How could they have properly addressed the CB position, if they haven't taken the field, and the whole D hasn't taken the field.
( It's a very hard lesson to learn, that the trade up for JOK was kind of a trap, like an impulse buy at the checkout counter,) <- it's 50/50 whether that proves right or wrong over the next several.
No matter who they suit up, nobody is going to stop Qb's from finding slot Wr's with linebackers, consistently over time.
The Browns only think they are better against running Qb's, like Josh Allen in 2019, today than then.

THROW LONG #1864534 05/17/21 11:09 AM
Legend
Legend
Every player that was added is at LEAST AS GOOD in run defense as the departed player whose shoes he is filling.

Yes, all of this is conjecture - no matter which side you fall on - but, on paper, we should be IMMENSELY improved in the passing game, and with the likes of Clowney, we will be better in the run game, too. There are few DE's better than him in the run game. Period. Vernon is not and was not. Adrian Clayborn definitely was not. Sendejo was an unguided missile; he was a liability in the run game at least as often as he showed up and made a play... the rest were marginal role players and didn't factor into the run defense much at all, and ALL of them (the DBs) have been improved upon significantly with their replacements.

You are correct that QB's will still get theirs; there is no doubt to that. What is different now is that we will stop them with increased frequency; it won't be such a gimme, especially in long yardage situations. We will win much more of those than we used to, which was almost none of them. Troy Hill is one of the best, if not THE best, slot corners in the league. He will do wonders for us and is a major upgrade over last year. JOK, who you love to hate, will be a LB that can do what none of ours have been able to do for years... cover RBs & TEs over the middle. Hell, he has the speed and quicks to cover a slot WR, too. So, our ability to cover the middle of the field, from a pure talent viewpoint, is DRAMATICALLY improved as is out ability on the perimeter. Yes, these guys still need to get on the field and prove aby doing it, but what we're working with this year versus last year is night and day. It literally isn't even a fair comparison at all.... and I am not afraid of being the negative Nancy naysayer that shoots down hype.

IF these guys stay healthy, this defense is about as complete as any you will have ever seen. It is actually just STUPID how stacked it is.
If/when we take injuries, we actually have enough depth to still be rolling out starter-caliber talent most everywhere. Losing a Greedy & Delpit won't sink us this year.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

THROW LONG #1864536 05/17/21 11:16 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Just my opinion.

I think you are wrong about everything related to this topic.

There are a number of ways to verify if you decide to do so.

Berry addressed the defense in the same manner that he did the offense the year before. Through free agency and then the draft.

Defensive improvements were made because they needed to be made.

You either believe Berry knows more than you or you do not.

bonefish #1864575 05/17/21 05:48 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
LOL! THROW LONG must be posting from an insane asylum.

THROW LONG #1864577 05/17/21 06:16 PM
Legend
Legend
Wow. This year should be better defensively. No lead was safe last year with Sandejo especially leading group that couldn't kill drives and get itself off the field. I think this group will be better by being stronger up the middle. One of us will have his judgment shot down.

Hope we tear this up.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
SuperBrown #1864593 05/17/21 08:25 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Group think = Red is red and blue is blue... but Throw sees it for it's true color purple.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 05/17/21 08:26 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Bard Dawg #1864594 05/17/21 08:30 PM
Legend
Legend
If the other guys we brought in to fill shoes at DT pan out and we are able to get good, quick, disciplined pressure on a fairly consistent basis with just our front four, this defense is going to destroy offenses.

Seriously, other teams will be sick of us by mid-season.

Myles Garrett probably had a dozen "Almost" Sacks last year. Those sacks where he was just a heartbeat or two too slow in getting to the QB because we couldn't cover anything and the opposing QB almost always had at least one read that was open on every play.
We have a DEEP secondary that can - on paper - shut that down and give Myles at least another 2 to 3 seconds, which is almost an eternity for him. Additionally, with Clowney on the other side and the guys we have inside, they can't consistently double and triple him, now. OC's are going to be eating antacids and pulling their hair out trying to figure out how to slow our rush. They'll try RPO, play action, runs. They'll try to spread us out and use screens.
We have the speed to cover all of that. We have guys smart enough and savvy enough to recognize all of that. We also have an offense that can score like a video game that will force them to pass to try to keep up... and that's when we smother and kill them.

We will still have a few games where we struggle, but those will be two types of teams:

Strong defenses that can slow our offense to their speed, and teams with BIG lines that can man-handle our guys.
There aren't too many of either one on our schedule.

Browns is the Browns

PrplPplEater #1864614 05/18/21 06:16 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't know about 2-3 seconds, but it should be long enough to turn a good amount of "almosts" in to sacks.

That or the QB is going to throw it anyway and the DB is going to break up the pass or in some cases, pick it off. That or the QB is going to throw more or less in to no mans land. Not so much a grounding of the ball, simply a pass that falls incomplete.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
PrplPplEater #1864630 05/18/21 09:44 AM
T
Legend
Legend
T
They want to spread the Browns defense out? rofl

with 13 guys on the field that can pursue? rofl

Did I say 14? It will seem like 15.

Offensive Tackles' film study.
"Who's this?"
"Clowney".
"What happened to Myles?"
Next play.
"Who's this?"
"Takk!"
Next play.
"Who's this?
"Myles"
" I thought I was playing Takk!"
"This isn't going to go well for you."

bonefish #1864637 05/18/21 11:26 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
This is another reason I'm so excited by Marvin Wilson. If he's playing up to his potential he will absolutely demand a double team! Then all of our other front-seven players get fed.

guard dawg #1864639 05/18/21 11:44 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
This is another reason I'm so excited by Marvin Wilson. If he's playing up to his potential he will absolutely demand a double team! Then all of our other front-seven players get fed.

I am not so sure he needs to be double teamed on passing plays.

On running plays he should, which no doubt will help to keep our undersized backers clean.

I think Wilson makes the team for that reason.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
guard dawg #1864644 05/18/21 12:27 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Help me here because I don't know much about Marvin Wilson?

He was an undrafted free agent. Not sure if he will make the team? The Browns have brought in a bunch of guys to look at.

The starters will be Billings, Malik Jackson and Elliot.

Defensive tackles of the roster:
Billings
Jackson
Elliot
Sheldon Day
Malik McDowell
Damain Square
Marvin Wilson
Tommy Togiai

Togiai was a fourth rounder. He will get a good look. He is expected to make the team and contribute.

Why would Wilson require double teams?

Actually I don't believe we have a DT on the team that is worth a double team.

Sheldon Richardson was a former 1st rounder and played the majority of snaps last year. He didn't get doubled.

THROW LONG #1864656 05/18/21 01:12 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
They want to spread the Browns defense out? rofl

with 13 guys on the field that can pursue? rofl

Did I say 14? It will seem like 15.

Offensive Tackles' film study.
"Who's this?"
"Clowney".
"What happened to Myles?"
Next play.
"Who's this?"
"Takk!"
Next play.
"Who's this?
"Myles"
" I thought I was playing Takk!"
"This isn't going to go well for you."

Takki or Wilson won't be on the team at the start of the season.

that's my hot take

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
guard dawg #1864667 05/18/21 02:14 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

A general question about Marvin Wilson. Apparently there is a lot of potential there, and it seems like there was a crap-ton of interest in him as a UDFA. Why would a team that was really interested in him not use a 6th or 7th on him? Waiting for him to hit UDFA is a gamble - not only does he have to make it through without getting picked, then you have to outbid other teams for him.

This kind of thing as happened before. It's almost like teams agree to let the guy go undrafted.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
CapCity Dawg #1864702 05/18/21 06:41 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I believe Wilson is a dominant 1-Tech. Able to defend the run and pressure the QB in passing situations. If offenses choose to double team Myles or Clowney on passing downs Wilson is capable of winning many one-on-one blocks he would face. His upper body power is considerable, his hand usage is advanced and his leg drive is at minimum, average to slightly above average.

I posted this before but maybe you didn't see it.

Wilson brings a physicality to our Dline that Pittsburgh or Baltimore have routinely had but we did not.

guard dawg #1864713 05/18/21 09:09 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Kind of puts me in mind of Ted Washington.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
guard dawg #1864716 05/18/21 10:07 PM
Legend
Legend
1. That guy's analysis is hilarious.

2. I'm super excited about this guy, now.

Browns is the Browns

PrplPplEater #1864717 05/18/21 10:18 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Voch Lombardi knows how to turn a phrase. Like, "fat boy effort" it's both colorful and insightful. I really like how he breaks down defensive players. He can be very intricate. Especially for defenders, he's my favorite youtube analyst.

guard dawg #1864732 05/19/21 06:06 AM
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Plays too high,stops his feet,and he needs a yellow triangle tacked to his butt that reads "slow moving vehicle"
A good college player,that's his ceiling.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
BCbrownie #1864733 05/19/21 06:36 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Really in-depth analysis on your part. willynilly If what you say were true, these are correctable issues with coaching. Excluding your incisive evaluation of his speed which was measured at 5.09 in the 40 for a guy over 300 lbs.

I'm going to trust my eyes. Feel free to trust your own. tsktsk

Last edited by guard dawg; 05/19/21 06:37 AM.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Joe Woods

Link Copied to Clipboard