Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
guard dawg #1864734 05/19/21 07:10 AM
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Sorry to disappoint.I had no idea you were expecting a thesis on a UDFA that,chances are,he won't make the team.
If he's still here in Sept. I'll take a closer look.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
guard dawg #1864735 05/19/21 07:48 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Thanks for the tape.

Interesting. He will get a close look for sure.

He signed a big deal for a free agent. There was interest in him. He has a resume.

Looks like the type of development player teams look for.

If he takes to coaching and gives full effort he may find a home.

Berry does not miss. Everytime you look into the players he brings to the house. You see the potential.

So good luck to Marvin. I hope he comes to play.

BCbrownie #1864744 05/19/21 09:18 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Disapointment would require an investment. Look or dont look. Handle your business.

Last edited by guard dawg; 05/19/21 09:40 AM.
bonefish #1864776 05/19/21 11:50 AM
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Help me here because I don't know much about Marvin Wilson?

He was an undrafted free agent. Not sure if he will make the team? The Browns have brought in a bunch of guys to look at.

The starters will be Billings, Malik Jackson and Elliot.

Defensive tackles of the roster:
Billings
Jackson
Elliot
Sheldon Day
Malik McDowell
Damain Square
Marvin Wilson
Tommy Togiai

Togiai was a fourth rounder. He will get a good look. He is expected to make the team and contribute.

Why would Wilson require double teams?

Actually I don't believe we have a DT on the team that is worth a double team.

Sheldon Richardson was a former 1st rounder and played the majority of snaps last year. He didn't get doubled.

Marvin Wilson, appears, to have very big upside if all goes perfect in development.
"The Starters will be Question, Malik Jackson if healthy, and Question.

Elliott and Sheldon Day are 7, and 8 on the list above, and it's hard for people to see it. but that's just my opinion.

I think whomever, ends up 6-8 out of those, to be stashed somewhere other than the game day rosters, ir, ps. or waived.

Why would Wilson not require double teams? (say it out loud.) because he was a udfa.

Is that reasonable?

(Only if human nature forbids the possibility he was overlooked in the selecting of 259 top players,((individually in 15 minute intervals, reacting on the fly)), because human nature, of the NFL clubs, never overlooks anything.)

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
THROW LONG #1864779 05/19/21 12:08 PM
Legend
Legend
He definitely has a bit of an uphill battle, even moreso if Richardson somehow comes back, but he has a ton of potential.

I'm not going to sweat who is a starter and who isn't; I'm actually going to enjoy watching how it shakes out over the summer. There should be some pretty good battles on the interior of the DLine.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

PrplPplEater #1864784 05/19/21 12:36 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
I agree with you. Yet at the same time I try to keep in mind that not living up to their potential is the very reason they weren't drafted in the first place.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1864839 05/19/21 04:37 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Competition.

From Depo and the analytics group DT is not a place where you spend big. Sign vets to short terms. Draft guys from mid to late rounds. Bring in some free agents.

Let the cream rise.

We have a group to look at. A mixture of the above.

They decided not to pay Sheldon. Maybe he returns. Maybe not.

It looks like we can keep two decent DT's on the field.

We spend of the edge. That is where we must excel.

bonefish #1864987 05/20/21 12:58 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: bonefish

From Depo and the analytics group DT is not a place where you spend big. Sign vets to short terms. Draft guys from mid to late rounds. Bring in some free agents.

You do realize that's the exact same thing people were claiming on here about the LB'er position before the draft where they drafted JOK, right?

I'm not buying it. I haven't seen any quote from our FO saying what you are claiming. And like I said, people that were doing nothing more than reading their crystal balls said the same thing about the LB'er position. It appears their crystal balls were out of adjustment. wink

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1864998 05/20/21 01:52 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

I disagree.

Drafting JOK does not change what analytical data provides.

All you need to look is the money. At 26 they took Newsome over JOK. Not the other way around and both were ranked in the high teens. When JOK was there at at 50 it made sense to make the trade and get him. Value and scheme fit.

First time contracts in the second round are not a heavy cap hit.

They liked Sheldon but refused to pay him.

Look at the DT on the team:

Elliot - third round - 4yr contract avg. per yr. $1.1m
Billings - Free agent - 1yr $3.5m
Sheldon Day - FA - 1yr $990k
Malik Jackson - FA 1yr. $3.75m
Malik McDowell- FA 1yr. $360k
Damion Square - FA 1yr. $1.2m
Marvin Wilson - undrafted FA $192k
========================================

Look at defensive end and money spent Myles, Vernon, Clowney, Takk McKinley

Look at corner.
Look at OT.
Look at receiver.

The Browns are tied with highest number of analytics staff.
They don't ignore data.

If they felt DT was a high priority more money would have been spent at that position. They could have easily paid Sheldon. The data told them where money should go.

So, the money trail tells the story.

JOK was value and scheme fit. You didn't see them trade up in the first round to get Parsons?

You don't see big dollars spent on the linebacker unit.

bonefish #1865004 05/20/21 02:24 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
All draft picks are paid cheaply. That's not disputed. Defensive end is a higher paid position across the league. That doesn't mean you just let every team run the ball up your gut while you "Let the cream rise".

Draft picks are a valuable asset that have much more value than the rookie contract you are paying them.

You are doing the exact same thing posters did when speaking about the LB'er position. You're basing an assumption of how a new FO will address the DT position after only one season of building a roster. We aren't even finished with this coming seasons roster yet.

I found out a long time ago you should never trust how a new recipe is going to taste before it's even gone into the oven.

#gmstrong
bonefish #1865008 05/20/21 02:53 PM
Legend
Legend
Number one rule of working with data: correlation is not causation.

What you propose is merely one possible takeaway that only looks at isolated sets of the data. You absolutely could state it as "I think they don't value...", but in no way can you absolutely state for fact that this is the case.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that while money was absolutely a factor in the release of Sheldon Richardson, it in no way indicates they do not value the position. In fact, their moves before and after strongly suggest otherwise; and applicability of the 80/20 rule probably plays a factor. e.g. They value the position greatly, and they value what Richardson brings, greatly, but the market for the skillsets doesn't support that level of play, especially if they feel they can get 80% of the production he brings in the skillsets they are looking for at a dramatically lower price point.

It isn't a sign of not valuing the position, but a sign of finding value at the position and not overpaying versus what the market supports.

Furthermore, when you take into consideration just the one simple fact that this entire scheme is predicated upon pressure up front and coverage on the back, that tells you that they very likely value all four spots up front VERY highly; it's just that they felt that the extra that Richardson might bring to the position wasn't enough to warrant the extra high pay in relation to younger, cheaper guys with a similar skillset, or skillsets that may more closely fit what Woods is wanting from his DT's.

You can't peer through a knothole and see everything on the other side of a fence.

Browns is the Browns

PitDAWG #1865009 05/20/21 02:56 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

I forgot Togiai.

Not an assumption. Look at the money spent.

Analytics are very clear on where to spend. It is a huge part of having that staff.

Linebacker and DT are not where big money will go.

Will there be an exception? Sure, if they see a Aaron Donald type in the first round when they draft and they have him ranked higher than other positions available.

When Depo kept his job through the changes. Haslam valued his input. He is now established within the organization and works closely with Berry. Everything is considered in free agency and the draft.

For sure what the data says about where to spend.

Defensive tackle is not a high dollar priority with the Browns. That does not mean they don't want production from the position. It just means they feel they can get enough production without spending big.

I have serious doubts about seeing the Browns draft running backs, defensive tackles, and linebackers in the first round. I also doubt they will spend big in free agency at those positions.

Look at the contracts signed this year at linebacker.
Both Walker and Smith are on one year deals. The rest are fills. Wilson and Taki came before Berry. You can bet now about them getting another contract.

bonefish #1865011 05/20/21 03:20 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Can you show me any statement from Depo supporting this? I haven't seen any. I can't say any better then PPE did about the DT position. Try reading his post and tell me what you think.

From reports they were tried to get Richardson to stay for around 8 million. Does that say they aren't willing to pay a DT?

#gmstrong
PrplPplEater #1865027 05/20/21 05:47 PM
Legend
Legend
Seems obvious to me that this FO is trying to create value or showing what they value for this situation, like with one-year and rookie first contracts. That will pay off later after their success during the present staging phase. Bigger names are bigger fish to fry IMO. I feel great about where we are with signings and setting the table for the future if we prove out.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
PitDAWG #1865029 05/20/21 06:05 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

IMO both of you are are jumping at "position value."

There is no position that is not valued. Football is a team game.

It is a matter of what positions they will spend more money for.

There is a priority for some versus others. That does not mean there are not exceptions or that is the sole defining factor.

Analytics are a tool. Depo has stated many times how to view the data. He is not going to say "we will not spend big money for linebackers, runningbacks and defensive tackles." No one in his position with any team will say that.

However, it easy to see what positions they will spend more for. And it is easy to track what positions are drafted early.

Just look at the dollars they committed to the position or when they drafted players at that position.

Clearly their actions speak.

bonefish #1865031 05/20/21 07:34 PM
Legend
Legend
jc

i hope joe woods can turn out to be a good DC. hopefully we can simply chalk last season to COVID, but man i'm still worried about the health of our secondary.

regardless, i'm excited about this defense. i do wonder who will win the #2 CB spot. Greedy hasn't played that much, so did he already leapfrog greedy or will there be a true competition?

i still don't like letting go of Richardson. i get this value perspective as far as the numbers, but there still has to be that element of things you can't statistically measure. from locker room/on field presence to experience.

i do really like our line, but having him included in our rotation just far more sense than cutting him for value. especially when this appears to be a championship window we're chasing.

but barring injury, there's gonna be no excuses. i get growing pains early in the season, but come mid season our defense better be in full form if healthy. he has the talent on the field, so lets go.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
PitDAWG #1865033 05/20/21 08:51 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Can you show me any statement from Depo supporting this? I haven't seen any. I can't say any better then PPE did about the DT position. Try reading his post and tell me what you think.

From reports they were tried to get Richardson to stay for around 8 million. Does that say they aren't willing to pay a DT?

Can you steer me in the direction of the reports for around 8 million? I tried Google but I had no luck. I'm not doubting you but I would like to read about it.

#gmstrong
bonefish #1865058 05/21/21 09:16 AM
Legend
Legend
You don't spend for a position, you spend for talent at a position and you pay based on what the market support. At no point, ever, do you say "well, he's a CB so I'm ok giving him $10 million more than what the market supports"

You're staying myopically focused on one little aspect without taking in the rest of the picture. It isn't (in my opinion based on my observations) that they won't spend because they don't value the position, it is that they won't spend because there isn't a talent at that position that warrants that much more. There is a distinction there that you're skipping over smile

Browns is the Browns

Swish #1865059 05/21/21 09:22 AM
Legend
Legend
I'm with you; I want Richardson back, but after the other moves we've made - if these guys pan out and can show up on the field - I feel a bit more comfortable with the notion. We are absolutely a better DLine with him here, and the man deserves to run with a winner. Until this past season, he has spent his entire career in NFL purgatory on bad teams. He's a really damn good player that is a leader and a role model type - he doesn't get into trouble, he just goes about his business, and he shows up and plays hard every week. There's a lot of value in a guy like that.

Unfortunately, he's asking more than we feel he is worth as a player, and the rest of the league seems to be waiting for his price to come down, too, so I'm ok with waiting it out. I definitely want him back, but Berry has the bases covered and we have enough here that we stand a really good chance of being Ok without him, even though we'd be better with him.

Browns is the Browns

PrplPplEater #1865064 05/21/21 09:53 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

You may interpret that I am skipping over that but I am not.

Clearly they made the decision to let Ogunjobi walk. That decision was based upon performance and money.

Sheldon is the same. They like him. I like him. But they were not good with paying him $12m.

It is a matter of a number of factors.

However, positions groups evaluated on stand alone basis are also a factor.

DE pass rushers are more valued than DT.

Numerous times I stated there are exceptions and other factors like age, injury history etc.

Non on their own dictate decisions.

bonefish #1865074 05/21/21 11:26 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
DE's are always paid higher than DT's. CB's and LT's are paid high as well. But there are salaries in place across the NFL that establish their value.

And unless I am misunderstanding you, the Browns will pay within that same pay structure for the position given that the player has the talent.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1865075 05/21/21 11:29 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Agree

bonefish #1865166 05/22/21 06:51 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
In the end the team has to balance a salary cap over an entire roster. In the case of Richardson, he was deemed to be making more than worth when balancing the entire salary scale.

The team decided cutting him was better than cutting maybe two players somewhere else.

When you are a good team, the decisions become harder. I don't think we wanted to cut him. The realities of salary cap, him being older and in the last year of his contract made him the man on the bubble.

For my part, I hope we remain in a position where cutting a play like Richardson becomes common. That means we have a good team.

We just saw some articles on Weaver. Maybe keeping a player like him was deemed more important moving forward than keeping Richardson for this year.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
bonefish #1865179 05/22/21 09:34 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
I'm in the hospital fighting to stay alive so I can see my Browns wife thinks it's her...lol laugh

Hopefully getting discharged today!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
bonefish #1865183 05/22/21 10:35 AM
T
Legend
Legend
T
If this is the only coaching thread,

I just want to discuss, (I think, iirc.) Stefanski is still the offensive playcaller, And

there's a tiny bit... of evidence, (or a massive glaring picture), but
I like coach so a
tiny bit of evidence the team looked better in the ONE game, that Stefanski had to stay home and watch.

Alex Van Pelt, appears to have had some nice effect on the offense of the Browns' ingenuity.

None of those ^ really demands a change, in fact there is no change for a successful team but everything should always be "kept an eye on".

So, Coaching, just a hunch on my part, just a hunch, just a "keep an eye on"

For a team to have a head coach calling offensive plays, it is just a matter of time,

Look at it like this.
A team that has any head coach calling offensive plays, imo, (may be, not always but, May be)-
like having a 7 year old help you move, even if you give them easy things to carry and keep a sharp eye on them, it's just a matter of time until something breaks.

The only coaching thread.

Last edited by THROW LONG; 05/22/21 10:38 AM.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
THROW LONG #1865184 05/22/21 10:45 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Come on, TL. Andy Reid, Kyle Shanahan, Sean Peyton and Sean McVay call their own plays. That should put an end to your theory. If not, start a new thread.

THROW LONG #1865186 05/22/21 10:50 AM
Legend
Legend
That's the difficulty with small sample sizes. Did they look better, or did they just look different? Was it being different enough to catch teams off guard because they could only prepare for Stefanski's tendencies? It's hard to say one way or another, BUT.. like you said, ALWAYS remain open to change and improvement, not matter who is involved. Greatness within a team comes from individual humility and recognizing that someone else may be a better fit for things, or simply accepting that you may need help to get the most out of everyone.

I don't feel that Stefanski is against any of it. I get the feeling that he mostly wanted to retain control to get HIS offense in place in HIS way and to get the players AND coaches in line with that. I could absolutely see him allowing Van Pelt, or whomever, to take over those duties, if necessary, once he feels things are well enough established and he has a comfort level with whomever it is he hands it off to.

When military officers move up in rank and eventually take over larger commands, one of their biggest struggles is the one where they aren't the one that gets to go in the field with their men any longer... I envision becoming Head Coach and handing off all of the play calling to be rather similar.

Browns is the Browns

PrplPplEater #1865188 05/22/21 10:57 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
In the spirit of humility, I must admit that your post was much more measured and just better than my own.

guard dawg #1865199 05/22/21 12:29 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: guard dawg
Come on, TL. Andy Reid, Kyle Shanahan, Sean Peyton and Sean McVay call their own plays. That should put an end to your theory. If not, start a new thread.

No - actually I think what you said hit the nail squarely on the head.

Last edited by mgh888; 05/22/21 12:29 PM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
eotab #1865202 05/22/21 01:10 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Stay positive Tab. You can win the battle.

We have waited a long, long, time to get to this point.
All the energy from every corner is happening.

The Browns know what this fan base is about. They pick up on all this positive energy.

Stick together; we got this.

eotab #1865217 05/22/21 02:48 PM
Legend
Legend
Hang tough, Tab! FGight the good fight. thumbsup

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
eotab #1865218 05/22/21 02:51 PM
Legend
Legend
Hope you're doing better tab!

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
eotab #1865219 05/22/21 02:54 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Tab I wish you the best. My wife is going through a tough time right now so I understand what it's all about. Hang in there and you'll be in my prayers.

eotab #1865224 05/22/21 03:15 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: eotab
I'm in the hospital fighting to stay alive so I can see my Browns wife thinks it's her...lol laugh

Don't you DARE Bungles it up and kick the bucket before we win it all at least twice, buddy. We'll resurrect your ass just to take you back out :lol:

Browns is the Browns

bonefish #1865231 05/22/21 04:03 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

This is really interesting to me.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/..._16748_34971842

The Browns have been ranked by CBS analyst as the number three rated defense.

The article goes into the depth of why.

If the Browns fisnish the 2021 with the third ranked defense. There will be a lot of happy people in Cleveland.

A third ranked defense will provide the offense with more opportunities. A lot more.

The Browns offense will be a least top ten and that is very conservative. I mean they have the highest ranked offensive line.

I do not need to go over the offensive weapons this teams has.

This is where hype goes out the window.

Damn where is September?

bonefish #1865232 05/22/21 04:14 PM
Legend
Legend
If we have the 3rd best defense, the Super Bowl is a real possibility.

Gotta get to 3rd best 1st, though.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
eotab #1865233 05/22/21 04:23 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: eotab

It will definitely be less enjoyable to celebrate a Brown's Super Bowl if one of our long time Dawg Talkers couldn't. Praying for you and let that be an incentive!! Go Browns!

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
eotab #1865250 05/22/21 09:07 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Don't know how I missed your post earlier Tab ... sending good karma and positive energy your way friend.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
bonefish #1865254 05/22/21 11:54 PM
Legend
Legend
113 days...

<><

#gmstrong
PrplPplEater #1865258 05/23/21 06:34 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
That's the difficulty with small sample sizes. Did they look better, or did they just look different? Was it being different enough to catch teams off guard because they could only prepare for Stefanski's tendencies? It's hard to say one way or another, BUT.. like you said, ALWAYS remain open to change and improvement, not matter who is involved. Greatness within a team comes from individual humility and recognizing that someone else may be a better fit for things, or simply accepting that you may need help to get the most out of everyone.

I don't feel that Stefanski is against any of it. I get the feeling that he mostly wanted to retain control to get HIS offense in place in HIS way and to get the players AND coaches in line with that. I could absolutely see him allowing Van Pelt, or whomever, to take over those duties, if necessary, once he feels things are well enough established and he has a comfort level with whomever it is he hands it off to.

When military officers move up in rank and eventually take over larger commands, one of their biggest struggles is the one where they aren't the one that gets to go in the field with their men any longer... I envision becoming Head Coach and handing off all of the play calling to be rather similar.

Indeed. For some people, the 'getting" is the easy part. The "letting go" is the problem.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Joe Woods

Link Copied to Clipboard