Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1865810 05/29/21 07:51 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

When the 2020 season began Myles looked like a man on a mission. He was a human wreaking ball. Unstopable. Unblockable.

Then covid happened. Complicated because Myles suffers from asthma. He was still good but not the same.

2021 season is only a few months away. The Browns defense could start 9 new players. On the DL he is the only returning player. The projected starters are: Myles, Andrew Billings, Malik Jackson, and Clowney. DT backups Elliott, Togiai, and still to be determined.

DE backups Takk Mckinley, Weaver, Gustin, and still to be determined.

Linebackers and secondary mostly new guys except for Ward.

Given all the new players on defense what can we expect from Myles this year?

How about DPOY? MVP? Or, how about the man who will set the new sack record?

All of this is possible. Myles is in his prime at 25. He wants it. Myles is a driven guy. He wants it all. Wants to be the best.

The backend has added speed and depth. At linebacker we should have way better coverage ability. And we have added a great tackler in Walker.

Quarterbacks may have to hold the ball a tad longer.

Clowney and Takk are both former first rounders who can rush. Clowney can work inside and is a great run defender. We have the depth to keep people fresh. The DT are guys who should get a better inside push than Ogunjobi and Taylor. Sheldon did provide inside push.

What Clowney and Takk can do is force the offense to deal with Myles from other positions than lineman.

If they depend on backs or TE's to chip. Good luck with that.

The defense as a unit should be a top five unit.

This could be the year Myles goes wild.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Maybe it's because as Browns fans we've been burnt so many times - I'm getting to the point I am starting to simply hope the team to stay within the parameters of normal injuries and freak stuff! I'm as high as anyone on what we look like on paper and how we look on paper - hell, after the we went out of the post season last year I booked a hotel near the SB location 2022, figuring rates and availability will only go up and down respectively !!

But having said that - DPOY and Sack records are contingent on nearly as much good fortune as they do on elite play. And I guess I should mention the officiating - because I guarantee we all so multiple holds, often in the same game, that never got called against MG last year when he was dominating.

So ... yes, I have high expectations for MG and the D overall, they are just tempered by past experiences as a Browns Fan tongue

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
I guess the only thing I expect if for him to do what he does best,, Mess with opposing QB's.. Play with their minds.. Disrupt.

I admit, I just want to win....

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Understandable.

I try to look at each year on it's own. Because so much changes year to year.

Myles does get held. That is out of anyone's control except for the officials in each game.

Myles was the first pick in the draft. Although that does not guarantee much (see Coutney Brown). There were obvious reasons. He is a beast of a man. Rare ability and physical dominance.

This will be the begining of his fourth year. Myles has seen how they try to defend against him. He now has experience but he is still young.

He has grown inside the Browns. This year Berry went full tilt on the defense. The upgrades should help Myles.

IMO only an injury could derail what he could do this year.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Given all the new players on defense what can we expect from Myles this year?

You can expect Myles to be Myles. He is going to do his best to destroy whomever he lines up against and win that play.

The accolades and all the rest of that junk is out of his control. He can do things to bolster his case, but someone else decides that stuff. Even sacks requires a certain amount of stuff from other people. QBs have to not get rid of the ball, OC's have to not scheme to dump it quick, etc... and sacks are going to be getting shared by this DLine A LOT this year.

So, my expectations are simply that we will get the absolute best Myles has to give.

NOW, expectations aside, I *think* he is completely capable of destroying the single season sack record.

The record is 22.5 (and includes a gift from Favre).
Myles had 12 in 14 games last year and he wasn't himself those last five weeks of the season after coming off the COVID list and he frequently had nobody of consequence opposite him. Teams simply can't double and triple team him every play this year.... he's gonna get his.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
Legend
Legend
M

I try to look at each year on it's own. Because so much changes year to year.

True of Browns, the NFL and Sport in general ... true in life. A good philosophy. I read a memorable quote by Roosevelt a couple year ago and it really hit at a deep level for me - Comparison is the thief of joy.

With regard to MG and the Browns - the sky really is the limit at this point. Can not wait to see what it all looks like on a meaningful Sunday afternoon!

The more things change the more they stay the same.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't really have expectations for players like that other than to play their best.

It's not like I expect X number of TD passes or X number of sacks or the guy sucks.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

For me it is not so much numbers but comparisons to the other great players.

Guys like Aaron Donald, TJ Watt, etc.

Myles if he plays all 17 games IMO will be right in the mix for Defensive Player of the Year and possible MVP.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
I don't really have expectations for players like that other than to play their best.

It's not like I expect X number of TD passes or X number of sacks or the guy sucks.
this is the same with me. I never think “if Chubb doesn’t have 100 yards today then he sucked” or whatever. I just hope they all make big positive impacts

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I expect Myles to be at his best. He is going to open up a lot of stuff for Clowney and the others. If they can also push the middle, man this is going to be fun.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Legend
Legend
I expect him to set the bar for his defensive unit. That record can be had, I agree. part of that judgment is the extra game! Lots of stats under scrutiny this year. thumbsup

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
MG will have a monster year this year I have no doubt about that.

I see us tightening up coverages because we have the horses to accomplish that. The by product of that will be to give QB's few options and a very short time to execute plays that will give MG that extra beat to get home the near sacks will turn into sacks.

I see us unleashing this offense to get early leads and take away teams ability to run the ball because they will be in the position of trying to play catch up. That is when you will see our front 4 really explode.

I have no issues holding me back from believing that really our entire defense won't become lethal for opposing offenses because this defense is deeper across the board then any other team in the league will have guys that would be starters waiting in the wings that would start for any other team we face, if we have injury, and we will have injuries.

I have always believed that all teams are pretty much only as good as their worst player. Our worst players are really good, as a result will be near or even at the top of the pile with the defense that we have assembled.

One of the things that really stood out for me last season is because of Covid a lot of time was spent on making sure that everyone understood exactly where they were suppose to be, and what their assignment was. They hand guys holding up cards explaining their responsibility I think that it was something the coaches for sure and even the players understood exactly what they were suppose to do within the defense and especially within the offense. I believe that the coaches became better teachers and as much as the physical side is important the understanding of rolls was better then ever. With improved skill sets and an across the board understanding of responsibility by the players in reality was what made the Browns the success they were last season. The added time spent on the mental side of the game paid off huge. I look for that to continue. Our players will be the BEST versed team in the league on the offense and defense they play in.

We had one game last year and I forget what game it was but I think we had one in person practice and the team executed the game plan maybe better then any game all year. Most of you had to of noticed.

I truly believe like never before this is our year and there is very little doubt we will come out on top. Will have bad weeks no question but those bad weeks will be few and far apart.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
E
Legend
Legend
E
J/C...

Team Leader

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
I expect him to set the bar for his defensive unit. That record can be had, I agree. part of that judgment is the extra game! Lots of stats under scrutiny this year. thumbsup

True that; records will fall.

We may need to start putting more weight in '<statistic> per game' averages than single-season records. Especially since it is clear that the league will simply use this as a stepping stone to an 18, or even 20, game season.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone

One of the things that really stood out for me last season is because of Covid a lot of time was spent on making sure that everyone understood exactly where they were suppose to be, and what their assignment was. They hand guys holding up cards explaining their responsibility I think that it was something the coaches for sure and even the players understood exactly what they were suppose to do within the defense and especially within the offense. I believe that the coaches became better teachers and as much as the physical side is important the understanding of rolls was better then ever. With improved skill sets and an across the board understanding of responsibility by the players in reality was what made the Browns the success they were last season. The added time spent on the mental side of the game paid off huge. I look for that to continue. Our players will be the BEST versed team in the league on the offense and defense they play in.

We had one game last year and I forget what game it was but I think we had one in person practice and the team executed the game plan maybe better then any game all year. Most of you had to of noticed.

That's a really good insight, and I have to believe you're completely right about that. Hopefully, there is a continued leveraging of this sort of practice to ensure everyone knows their role and place. The guys that were here last year will already be "old hat", but this practice, and those guys, can go a long, long, long way toward getting the new guys integrated seamlessly which will get this team to hit the ground running in Week 1 in a way we probably haven't seen from a Browns team since The Return.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
14 sacks, top 5 in tackles for loss.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

I don't have any set expectations in regards to numbers for Myles but I am very excited at the possibilities. With Clowney on the other side it's going to be much more difficult for opponents to double team Myles while leaving a single player on an island with Clowney. It will be a case where our opponents will have to pick their poison.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
Exactly.

I don't think a fan would have much more in expectations from Myles Garrett than to see him play excellent football and have fun doing it.

If any one player on the Browns is above the expectations question it's Myles.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian
I expect Myles to be at his best. He is going to open up a lot of stuff for Clowney and the others. If they can also push the middle, man this is going to be fun.

And to put in a word for Clowney, he is going to open things for Myles.

It should be fruitful for both.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I am excited to see Clowney work. We're going to get All-Pro run defense and *should* see much better pass rush than we saw from Vernon.

The more I think about it, the more I think that we may be in store for seeing something pretty damn special.
We *should* be able to be about as good on defense as the Rams were last year, and we *should* be able to add an offense about as good as the Chiefs. That's a recipe to win a lot of games and make a real run at things.

Browns is the Browns

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
I am excited to see Clowney work. We're going to get All-Pro run defense and *should* see much better pass rush than we saw from Vernon.

The more I think about it, the more I think that we may be in store for seeing something pretty damn special.
We *should* be able to be about as good on defense as the Rams were last year, and we *should* be able to add an offense about as good as the Chiefs. That's a recipe to win a lot of games and make a real run at things.

Let's just go ahead and say it I believe this team has a real chance to become a dynasty I really do. That doesn't mean they win it all this year but the cornerstones of that dynasty are established and the outcome is certain.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Dynasty is a big word.

The Atlanta Braves won 14 straight division championships. Won a single World Series. That was sustained success.

The only way to do that is be consistent as an entire organization. Players will come and go.

You have to continually draft and develop players.

And you really need to have a franchise quarterback who can play at a high level over a career.

The Browns have a lot of what it takes in place. Now they must prove that they can continue playing at a high level.

B
Legend
Legend
B
The Braves are a good example. You can be the best, but it still takes a bit of luck.

With players there is ebb and flow. Teams change every year. Just sustain and see how it pans out.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Nothing is guaranteed.
I was just looking at final rankings from 2020 and looking at DVOA, the Saints finished the year with the 7th best offense, 2nd best defense, and 5th best special teams... and didn't get to go to the Super Bowl.

Granted, it was because they ran into the Bucs who were the 3rd best Offense and 5th best Defense, but that just goes to show... you can be REALLY good, but so will others.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

When I hear talk of the Chiefs going
20-0.

Or, how great the Bucs are and that they will repeat.

I am reminded by the fact how close teams are. There are a ton of good players.

Every team's mission is to win. There are no competitive advantages like in MLB where there are financially rich and poor teams.

NFL is financially based upon parity.

It is very hard to keep rosters over time. Injuries play a huge role.

Players improve some age and get worse. One year's performance does not guarantee the next year's performance.

You need to stay healthy and peak at the right time.

I like our chances this year.

Myles IMO will have a monster year.

Legend
Legend
The talk of the Chiefs going 20-0 will be over on Sunday, September 12th. wink

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Can you imagine the media reaction if we were to annihilate them in that first game.

I mean put a serious whooping.

It would be so cool.

There would be some "I told you so's."

But most would be like "ok first game, no big deal."

O
Legend
Legend
O
First game no big deal? Not for Browns fans. We have a long first game losing streak to break.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think his reply was in reference for the excuse the media, KC fans and the NFL in general would use in the event we beat KC in week one..

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
true

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
my expectation is that he will play less basketball

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
Coach said that Myles is retired from basketball today.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
The Sky is the Limit for Myles Garrett smile

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Can you imagine the media reaction if we were to annihilate them in that first game.

I mean put a serious whooping.

It would be so cool.

There would be some "I told you so's."

But most would be like "ok first game, no big deal."

I don't think one game makes a season, and I sure hope the Browns don't roll on KC, a win would be a nice start but huge wins early can lead players to think they have it in the bag. I want a football team that grinds, grinders always win in the end.

Us winning or losing won't make or brake us and it will be the same for KC IMO.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Expectations for Myles

Link Copied to Clipboard