Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
Legend
Legend
R
I wonder if Tannenbaum actually watches any games. He said the Browns could have the same success with Cousins and Keenum. 90% of the people that speak on Baker are biased by his polarizing personality and their desire to see him fail. I've never seen anything like it in my 40+ years watching sports.

Bottom line, no one makes more plus level throws than Baker.

Legend
Legend
90% of the media that comments is just trolling to generate discussion, clicks, and views.

Prior to this, nobody knew that Tannenbaum was even in the media, now.
Well, now we know another source to ignore.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

In regards to Baker. Just deal with the facts.

To accomplish what Baker has done is frankly amazing.

Just in college football to go to two programs as a walk on and become the starter is no easy task. Then to put up the numbers he did and win the Heisman.

Then do what he has done as a pro under the circumstances he faced. I don't know what you need to prove?

I don't need others to judge. I know what I see.

Baker will continue to do what he has done. Prove himself.

O
Legend
Legend
O
And be a winner.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I look for Baker to continue to do what we seem to be very good at now.

Identifying and developing players in our system to fill team needs is the new calling card of this team and organization. Baker is a by product of that system and like most players I see come thru this program he is growing and developing into a stud. A key to that success was getting Baker into a situation where he could be comfortable/confident/ and played to what he does best.

The real credit for Baker is Baker of course but the underlying key is coaching and player development. The coaches had a clear plan for Baker heading into last season and they got Baker to buy in, from there the sky is the limit for Baker and for the team.

Let's face it folks the real strength of this team and organization is player identification and development. What that truly leads to is long term success. Yes folks we have the building blocks of a dynasty.

I believe we have found the holy grail of the NFL. The ability to develop talent into a well oiled unit that does one thing really well, win !

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Continuity is a huge factor in success.

A perfect example was what happened in New Orleans with Brees and Payton.

The relationship between Baker and Stefanski will be key to what the Browns accomplish. In many ways KS appears to be the perfect balance for Baker. He is a calm caluculated individual. Baker is buying into what KS is providing. Clear communication of what he wants and how he wants things to work. But also he wants two way communication. KS wants his qb to question and have input.

When they reach that Vulcan mind meld state. good things will happen.

T
Legend
Legend
T
GC.

Can the Browns get more than 12 catches per game, to their WR's? yes, think so.

(Talking about, non TE, non RB, and non passes thrown by other than the QB on trick plays.)

Can the Browns get more than, .. 17 catches in games, to their WR's? eeehhhh, I "want" to say so, it's getting tougher to think it's probable.

Can the Browns, get more than, (22) catches in games, to their WR's? Wow. whew, I wish so. (They don't really seem to be built for this, but it "is" possible.)

This is very important because,
: If the Browns do not have explosive play capability they will not win playoff games, and offense is the easier way to score points vs. defense.

Can the Browns get 27 catches per game, even in one game, to their WR's It would be a Thing to see.

My best quick guess is Baker Mayfield has Not Yet completed 27 passes to WR's in any one game in his pro career, which there is nothing wrong with using TE's and Rb's.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

That is not how you game plan.

The plan is to win the game. You do what the staff thinks is the best way to win.

Does not matter if it is all runs or passes.

Or, more likely a balanced attack.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Browns and Mayfield could be first to extend. 10 hours ago.

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/baker-mayfield-earliest-extension

My thoughts are that of Allen and the bills,, Lamar and the Ravnes, and The Browns and Baker that whichever deal is finalized first will probably end up the best for both the player and the team.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
90% of the media that comments is just trolling to generate discussion, clicks, and views.

Prior to this, nobody knew that Tannenbaum was even in the media, now.
Well, now we know another source to ignore.

What else can they do this time of year.. Nothing going on to speak of.. (Nassib maybe) But there is mostly just signings to speculate on until camp.

But yeah, Tannenbaum wasn't much as a GM so why take his word for anything now.

If John Dorsey said that, I'd have to listen...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
That's happening faster than I expected, but now we know why we needed Sheldon's money and have cheaper options at DT, now.

Browns is the Browns

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Quote:
Mayfield also gets a sizable amount of income from endorsement deals, which is a factor that could play a role. It could make him more patient to get a deal done because he can afford it, but it also might focus him more on increasing his chances on winning the Super Bowl over maximizing every dollar in contract negotiations.

This is a great point. Baker could be like Gronkowski, never spending a paycheck, and living off endorsements very well. As well as he's doing now, could you imagine the bucks he'd make after a Super Bowl win?!!

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

Hi!

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

I don't gamble but $5k returns $205k on Baker for MVP.

We have a good team. All the tools are there to win games.

If the Browns host games in the playoffs and win. Baker has a great chance.

P
Legend
Legend
P
That payoff is what makes the bet look so attractive.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Rookie
Rookie
V
One of the things I see people (and the media) mention all the time is completion percentage. They use it to trash Baker.

Completion percentage is one of the most misused stats I've ever seen. It's not quite what people think it means. If you attempt two passes and complete them for a total of 10 yards, is that better than going 1/2 for a 30 yard completion? In this case, 50% completion is better than 100%.

Baker regularly attempts aggressive, downfield throws. He ranks near the top of the league with Big Time Throws and Intended Air Yards per completion. It goes a long way to driving an offense and putting up points on the board. Then you look at someone like Teddy Bridgewater who threw for 69.1% completion last year but drove Panthers fans up a wall because he couldn't consistently run the offense and throw downfield.

Baker will never be a 70% completion percentage guy. While we do want to see him bring it up from 61/62% to 64/65% as improvement, we shouldn't expect much higher. He's a natural gunslinger and is gonna attempt bigger throws.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: Vee_Rex
One of the things I see people (and the media) mention all the time is completion percentage. They use it to trash Baker.

Completion percentage is one of the most misused stats I've ever seen. It's not quite what people think it means. If you attempt two passes and complete them for a total of 10 yards, is that better than going 1/2 for a 30 yard completion? In this case, 50% completion is better than 100%.

Baker regularly attempts aggressive, downfield throws. He ranks near the top of the league with Big Time Throws and Intended Air Yards per completion. It goes a long way to driving an offense and putting up points on the board. Then you look at someone like Teddy Bridgewater who threw for 69.1% completion last year but drove Panthers fans up a wall because he couldn't consistently run the offense and throw downfield.

Baker will never be a 70% completion percentage guy. While we do want to see him bring it up from 61/62% to 64/65% as improvement, we shouldn't expect much higher. He's a natural gunslinger and is gonna attempt bigger throws.

Welcome back...

True % is miss leading for the action of ACCURATE...I see some 70% completions having a TE catch the ball near their knees having them stop their route to catch the ball for me accuracy is having the ball in a perfect position for the WR to get YAC without breaking stride. Its not measured by % but by accuracy!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
I wonder if Tannenbaum actually watches any games. He said the Browns could have the same success with Cousins and Keenum. 90% of the people that speak on Baker are biased by his polarizing personality and their desire to see him fail. I've never seen anything like it in my 40+ years watching sports.

Bottom line, no one makes more plus level throws than Baker.

Pretty sure all of their desires are not to see Baker Fail yet to see Baker leave the Browns and join their favorite team.

Legend
Legend
Limit turnovers.. move chains.. score points when in the redzone..

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
What about "Browns fans" who want to see him fail?

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: devicedawg

Sadly, there are some on here.

Tackles are tackles.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I know too many who want nothing to do with him and are convinced we won't win anything until he's gone. Bitter Buckeye fans, maybe?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: devicedawg

Could you please list who those are?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
My brother and RJ. Do you know them?

Knowing 2 is way too many to know.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Yes it is. Someone made the comment there were actually people on this board that were included in that group. That wasn't you so my apologies for taking your comment the wrong way.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Apology accepted. But I'm sure someone somewhere on this board wants Baker to fail whether they say so or not.

I work in the golf industry so my posting and reading of posts declines some in the summer months, but I'll occasionally peak my head in.

Baker is such a fascinating story to me because so many people doubt his talents. We went from 0-17 to 11-5 and a playoff win within 3 years. Replace Baker with any of the past 26+ starting quarterbacks for the Browns and ask if you think we get better results. I don't think so.

The guys in charge didn't suffer thru the past 20+ years, but me? I'm signing Baker to the biggest contract the NFL has ever seen. 10 years is a long time, but I'd do a Mahomes-esque deal.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Crazy but I don't think I have watched "The Herd" or listened to Cowerd for more than 10 minutes total for all the time he has been on radio or tv.

By chance today I turned it on. As sure as sun on a clear day he goes into why the Browns will fail on expectations.

He tried to make some weird analogy that the Browns were like some music festival in California?

He shows some stat that the Browns have not had back to back winning seasons in x amount of years.

Then says we have big names like Odell and Clowney who really have done little and Hunt is a backup.

Never mentioned Myles or anyone else like Chubb or anyone else.

What is with this guy? Why does he make it a mission to trash Cleveland? Does it help his ratings? What?

He doesn't even know the roster. There must be some program producer that tells him that you get attention trashing Cleveland.

He doesn't have a guest to debate an opinion. He just decides I am going to take another segment to dump on Cleveland.

The only thing he proves is his lack of knowledge and that he has some weird hang up about the Browns.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I had the exact same question about Baker as I do every rookie QB. How well will he adapt to reading NFL defenses and quickly react. It's something almost every NCAA QB must answer when they come into the NFL. Very few schools run a pro style offense so that question is a logical one.

It was impossible to rush to judgement on that because there was no stability in coaches and systems for him to reach a comfort level. Yet the last half of last season he became much better at it. You could just see it. I'm not much of one to make bold predictions and I won't do that now. But going into his second season in a consistent, productive system, the sky is the limit for Baker.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Crazy but I don't think I have watched "The Herd" or listened to Cowerd for more than 10 minutes total for all the time he has been on radio or tv.

By chance today I turned it on. As sure as sun on a clear day he goes into why the Browns will fail on expectations.

He tried to make some weird analogy that the Browns were like some music festival in California?

He shows some stat that the Browns have not had back to back winning seasons in x amount of years.

Then says we have big names like Odell and Clowney who really have done little and Hunt is a backup.

Never mentioned Myles or anyone else like Chubb or anyone else.

What is with this guy? Why does he make it a mission to trash Cleveland? Does it help his ratings? What?

He doesn't even know the roster. There must be some program producer that tells him that you get attention trashing Cleveland.

He doesn't have a guest to debate an opinion. He just decides I am going to take another segment to dump on Cleveland.

The only thing he proves is his lack of knowledge and that he has some weird hang up about the Browns.

Hack.
Shock Jock.
Trash.
Contrived Controversy.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

I really don't know much about him except what I see posted on the Board with tape of his comments.

So when I actually listened today. I was "how could this guy have a program that people would turn on to listen to his slop?"

He is as hollow as a drum.

I mean if you are going to trash a team at least make a coherent argument. Nothing he said was relevent to today?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
He hates anything north. He believes we're all stupid because we could make a smart decision and move out of the cold weather and that no person in their right mind would live where it snows.

I stopped listening when he said as much. Not that I really listened to him that much anyway. 100% he gets the ratings because he bashes Cleveland, he gets a rise out of us fans and all others just laugh and point the finger.

When we win a super bowl it'll be a fluke and something we will never duplicate. Browns will be the worst team to win a Super Bowl and will probably lose every game the following year.

Ratings.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I often wonder if some fans, at the end of the day, actually do value being proven right about a prospect over athletes for their team turning out well. I think it's ridiculous, but some of the things I've heard/read stuff from fans that really make me wonder.

That said, there is a line between criticism and what I described, and some posting styles and which side of the bed they've woken up on can make that line not so clear.

I try to give people the benefit of the doubt, but to device's point, that sometimes it's really tough.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Quote:
Hunt is a backup.

That quote right there should tell you all you need to know about Cowturd. Hunt had the rushing title a few years ago. He makes a living out of saying stupid stuff, while acting as if he is an expert on everything. He is the poster boy of what the media has become, trash talking know it alls.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
T
Legend
Legend
T
Maybe Cowherd is trying to sing to Jets fans still bitter that Cleveland didn't take the NY Medias' unhealthy advice to draft Darnold #1 so Mayfield could end up with the Jets in 2018. Sour Grapes allegedly.
According to various medias' hoping to dump Darnold onto Cleveland,
Mayfield was going to turn around the Jets, the Broncos, was going to take over for the Packers, among others, before the Browns took him #1 overall.

Ever since he got to Cleveland, the NY and Hollywood medias' have been trying to talk Baker away from the Browns, like they wished Lebron to Miami back in 20xx' because they are big market snobs in my opinion.
Seems like motive enough to me.

Legend
Legend
He's following a proven formula, that's all.

p.s. I think Paul Giamatti has got to be the best non-leading actor of the last thirty years.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Quote:
I think Paul Giamatti has got to be the best non-leading actor of the last thirty years.

He's right at the top of the list.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
Quote:
I think Paul Giamatti has got to be the best non-leading actor of the last thirty years.

He's a great actor.

Giamatti has had some great leading roles. American Splendor, Sideways and the series Billions.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
Quote:

He's a great actor.

Giamatti has had some great leading roles. American Splendor, Sideways and the series Billions.

John Adams!

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

For a guy who actually was a GM in the NFL Mike Tannenbaum is a total knucklehead.

Goes to show that incompetence can rise to a high level. Of course he will never get that job again.

His Baker is a "replaceable part" and the way he defends his comments by saying Baker had one good year in three and that he is short and slow.

Clearly he knows little about what makes great quarterbacks like Drew Brees and others.

It is more about leadership, decision making, and accuracy than (Josh Allen and Lamar's) physical tools.

He is the knucklehead who signed Mark Sanchez to a giant extension when with the Jets.

I remember on Hard Knocks Brian Schottenheimer the OC had Sanchez in the QB room trying to teach him how to be a leader.

You don't teach that. You are or are not a leader.

Tannena-bum clearly has no clue.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I'd imagine Jeff George is the greatest QB to walk the Earth then.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Expectations for Baker

Link Copied to Clipboard