Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone
One need only look at the lists to reach the conclusion I did.

Maybe that's why most of them no longer have jobs as well.

They are all currently working for NFL teams.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Read the list my opinion hasn't changed Jackson is not a tier 2 QB in fact he is the bottom of a pure QB list IMO, what he is is a great runner who happens to be called a QB.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Kyler Murray, tier 2 QB, really...

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
O
Legend
Legend
O
I wouldn't go that far, but it's my understanding that he's no less reliant on the people around him (namely the running game and defense) as Baker. How that pushed Baker into the next tier down but somehow kept Lamar at the top of tier 2 is beyond me.

Burrow looks to be the real deal but couldn't keep himself healthy. How you can hold Baker's bad tape against him but then rank Burrow ahead with one partial season

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M
J/c

The list of QBs I'd trade Baker for is very very short. Based on his stats over 3 years, talking heads and journalists might not put him in tier 1 ... And I can see that. Purely on his stats and not factoring in any mitigating circumstances. Tier 3 is a joke, and generally I think the athletic it's a quality sport outlet.

Let this season speak for itself. Let the haters come up with excuses for why they were wrong and talk about how he's a system QB or whatever... I don't care two hoots. I've been in a state of "can't wait" since the draft...... Still in the same place.

Last edited by mgh888; 07/30/21 01:12 PM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
B
2nd String
2nd String
B
This list is an absolute joke. Baker joined the laughingstock franchise of the NFL (no disrespect) which had won 1 game in two years, not been to the playoffs in 18 years, had 4 head coaches across 3 years, played with a low ranking D, poor oline before last year, and his superstar receiver out most of the time, yet still accomplished the following:
1. The team immediately started winning
2. Set the NFL rookie passing TD record
3. Lead his team to the playoffs and won. and a couple of snaps from the AFC championship game.

How does that translate to him being in an optimal situation as a reason for winning? We will never know but I think there is better than a 50% chance that if Lamar started at the Browns he would be out of the league by now. Similarly, I think Mahomes would not be regarded as the greatest QB ever if he did not land in the golden situation of having the best offense mind in the NFL as his coach, the most dynamic receiver in the NFL, the best tight end in the NFL, and the ability to sit and learn behind Alex Smith for his first year. Circumstances matter to every QB, especially when they are developing.

For those of us that have followed Baker from OU, abandoned the Cowboys, to become diehard browns fans, we all know what Baker is capable of and what he is going to do this year with a stable situation and his head screwed on tight. I can't wait to shovel the crow. I am confident this season comes down to an epic showdown with Mahomes and KC.

Go Browns!

BTW: who the hell knows how good Joe Burrow is?

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

You can be sure I had nothing to do with that list.

You can not put Burrow, Murray, ahead of Baker. I mean they look ok but what have they done?

Herbert had a great rookie year. But has not lead a team to a playoff win. He looks very promising. the body of work is not there.

Tannehill has been in the league since 2012 and has been average. He did play well last year.

Ben is not a real comparison at this stage. He is 39. I mean he has been a great quarterback. He will get into the Hall. But you don't compare him now to Baker.

Oh well. All this kind of subjective ranking doesn't matter.

Next year there will be a new reckoning.

C
Legend
Legend
C
The list is literally made up by people working in the NFL.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

I couldn't care less about how outsiders view our team and our players. What matters to me is the results on the field. As long as the Browns win, I don't care if it's because Baker is carrying the team or effectively using the talent around him.

Just win baby!!

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
j/c

I couldn't care less about how outsiders view our team and our players. What matters to me is the results on the field. As long as the Browns win, I don't care if it's because Baker is carrying the team or effectively using the talent around him.

Just win baby!!

Bingo. I just thought it was interesting how Baker is perceived outside this board by people in the league.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Exactly,

The reason that he did so much better last year was because he has the best O Line in the league, well yeah da. is or is it not true of every QB.

Look no further then KC where the best QB in football now resides and what did they just do this past off season? Yet Baker is a worse QB then Lamar, GMAFB.

Regardless of who voted and assembled that list I think their full of you know what. And after this season and Bake flashes the results he did to end last season and more then who get's the credit. I have seen every sort of excuse as to why Bake was simply great to close the year. Maybe, it could be he put the work in and has the kind of surrounding talent that a well assembled roster with good coaching that wins in the NFL.

But there are things we all know, bad O line get QB's hurt and make them look bad, and let's be honest that is true of every single QB in the NFL. But at this point it's clear to see, if we lose that's Bakers fault and if we win it's because of someone not named Baker. The list blows.

In the end I will take the wins and the so called experts this list was compiled from can watch as Baker takes apart their teams.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
What about "Browns fans" who want to see him fail?

I think you miss read Browns fans if Baker wins and wins big they will love our QB . They just will have their egos to deal with as in lost ego.

I know BAKER studying him for two years .the kid is the real deal. You all talking 70%, I'm talking 80%!!

I'mnot talking just completions I'm talking about not just catches but balls placed right in the hands at a full run... getting YAC.
Back at hospital since Monday...staying alive!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Hang tough Tabber we are about to win our 1st Lombardi it wouldn't be right if you weren't here with us to enjoy it.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Legend
Legend
Hang in there Tab!

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He is meeting my off-season expectations.

A leader knows the team the team vaccination number, is a competitive advantage.

I couldn’t give an ish about your beliefs, we’re trying win football games.

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
In the end, I think Baker will be seen as a disappointment.

My thinking is people love stats. The media loves stats. If Baker puts up the stats required to satisfy those needs, that means we are going to be in shootouts.

If the D plays as we hope, that isn't going to happen. He is going to plug along with games where he is 16 of 23, 245 yards and a TD toss or two. Hardly MVP numbers.

If he starts throwing for 345 yards per game, we will probably lose more games.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Not sure I agree.

I get what you are saying but winning and efficiency means a lot.

IMO there will be games where Baker will have big numbers. Others maybe not.

But if thet go deep or win it all and Baker throws high 60's in completion percentage. And he ends with low int's.

He will get his due.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Turds like Cowherd will certainly go this route.

IMO, as long as Baker can throw for those critical 1st down or TDs when needed, nobody will have any issue with us letting Chubb and Hunt grind out wins.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
The list is literally made up by people working in the NFL.

That certainly adds legitimacy to the overall list...I wonder where the execs had Baker on their draft board?

Now j/c:

D Watson as a Tier 1 QB is laughable. Rodgers, Mahommes, Brady, Wilson as Tier 1 I can get behind...hard to dispute.

Watson is NOT this guy:
Tier 1 - "A Tier 1 quarterback can carry his team each week. The team wins because of him. He expertly handles pure passing situations. He has no real holes in his game."

How is Lamar Jackson's picture NOT next to this:
Tier 3 - "A Tier 3 quarterback is a legitimate starter but needs a heavier running game and/or defensive component to win. A lower-volume dropback passing offense suits him best."

Joe Burrow in Tier 2 rofl The guy who had to leave OSU because JT Barrett and D Haskins were ahead of him on the depth chart? Please. Here is what other experts said about Dalton...er...I mean Burrow...leading up to his draft.
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/...cts/5165588002/

Kyler Murray in Tier 2 ahead of Baker? Seriously? rofl rofl rofl

I'd put Baker at the top of Tier 2...maybe tied with Josh Allen...but only if Allen continues his "unusual-traits-shown" year that was 2020.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Can't disagree with anything you stated.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
B
2nd String
2nd String
B
this

O
Legend
Legend
O

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Dawgtalkers message board needs to make our own list of Quarterback rankings.

T
Legend
Legend
T
To make a Qb list, criterias. maybe, if we choose to do the work, Start with the top 50 Qb's in the league or 2 per team whichever includes more, that's 64, some #2's aren't top 50.

First just list the best, 2nd actually look at it by criteria, to decide the best qbs by the numbers. Categories.

Prime number. +2 player entering their prime.
-2 player is way past their prime
-2 player doesn't know poo yet is year 1.

Feet. +2 player is 4.3 runningback runner of the football like loser in this division.
-2 no mobility.

Legacy toward hall of fame, +2 they are a first ballot hall of famer if they retire today
-2 no legacy toward the hall of fame at all.

Game Manager, (easiest) +2, they run the system they are in best because they know it
-2, not only are they in a new system, they don't know how to run, "any" system they've been in yet.

Big Play days abilities, +2 in their career they've shown an ability to have days of 3+ tds, or 400+ yards on the day.

Accuracy toward completion percentages, this is not only lack of interceptions but also probability to have a day like 21 complete for 22 attempts, +2
vs. a guy who throws 36 completions on 119 attempts -2.

Winning percentage, the team wins when he starts, or doesn't +2, to -2

(Optional category,) = Strikes fear in other teams, teams totally game plan differently because the Qb is playing.

All Categories assigned a number,
+2, +1, 0, -1, -2

The group with the best numbers are the top tier qbs' simple.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
So far consider 4 quarterbacks,
Baker 11. Mahommes 12.5 (2020)-Phillip Rivers, 1.5, and Carson Wentz, (negative 4), eh it's subjective.

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

I want to make some comments regarding Baker Mayfield.

We all have gone to high school. In some cases high schools that maybe are more competitive than others. To be the starting quarterback on a high school team is no easy task. It is very competitive. You have to be better than others and much is expected of you.

Then comes college. The very best high school quarterbacks from every corner of the US get recruited to play. The highest ranked recruits go to the big time football programs.

Big time college football programs do not look for walk on players to lead teams at the quarterback position. They recruit three deep with scholarships.

Can anyone relate to how difficult it had to be for Baker to win the starting quarterback job as a walk-on "twice."
Then win the Heisman "as the best player in college."

He was then drafted number one going to a team that had won one game in two years.

In his third year after three head coaches take that team to a playoff victory on the road against the Steelers the division champs.

And here we are getting daily comments by talking heads questioning his ability. Being called mediocre, not athletic, to small, holding the team back, needs to prove himself, not good enough to win a Super Bowl with.

Then having people say as well that he is not as good as Murray, Lamar, Allen, Herbert, Burrow and others.

It boggles the mind.

Baker is known to use those who are critical of him as motivation. He has a list of those people and what was said. And he gets crap about that. Maybe people forget how Brady feels about where he was drafted.

I dig Baker. I want him to prove it to all how good he is.
If he does that The Browns will rule.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Yep, a lot of people think he's cocky, but I see it as part of who he is and more of a winner's attitude. I personally really like Baker and his competitive attitude, swagger, moxie, (whatever you want to call it) etc.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
O
Legend
Legend
O
In that context, I say keep questioning his ability. Seems to work out well when people do that.

-PrplPplEater
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
My expectations for Baker are high. I think he is the best QB in the AFC North and needs to play like it. With Baker in his prime, and the WRs and RBs we have, the Browns should have a high scoring offense.

I believe Baker will lead the team to a division and conference title. The Browns play in one of the toughest, if not the toughest, divisions in the NFL. It will be tough, but I think the Browns have the talent to do it.

GO BROWNS !

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Baker is known to use those who are critical of him as motivation. He has a list of those people and what was said. And he gets crap about that.

I know at one time he did that. I would hope he focuses more an what Baker is doing rather than what other people are saying at this point. At a certain juncture, focusing on what "others think" becomes a distraction.

A younger Baker gave signs of some immaturity. We are no longer seeing that. I take that as a sign he has matured and gave up on some of the antics and tactics he used when he was younger. If the last half of last season is any indication, maturity is serving him well and I hope that continues.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Baker did a great job of only getting in a dig when it was worth it last year.

Didn't rub it in. Had fun with it with his quotes.

And when Cowherd said he didn't like QBs who wore their hats backward... Bake turned his hat around.

I think you'll see more of that as it goes on. Everyone has bulliten board material that keeps them motivated.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: bonefish

I want to make some comments regarding Baker Mayfield.

We all have gone to high school. In some cases high schools that maybe are more competitive than others. To be the starting quarterback on a high school team is no easy task. It is very competitive. You have to be better than others and much is expected of you.

Then comes college. The very best high school quarterbacks from every corner of the US get recruited to play. The highest ranked recruits go to the big time football programs.

Big time college football programs do not look for walk on players to lead teams at the quarterback position. They recruit three deep with scholarships.

Can anyone relate to how difficult it had to be for Baker to win the starting quarterback job as a walk-on "twice."
Then win the Heisman "as the best player in college."

He was then drafted number one going to a team that had won one game in two years.

In his third year after three head coaches take that team to a playoff victory on the road against the Steelers the division champs.

And here we are getting daily comments by talking heads questioning his ability. Being called mediocre, not athletic, to small, holding the team back, needs to prove himself, not good enough to win a Super Bowl with.

Then having people say as well that he is not as good as Murray, Lamar, Allen, Herbert, Burrow and others.

It boggles the mind.

Baker is known to use those who are critical of him as motivation. He has a list of those people and what was said. And he gets crap about that. Maybe people forget how Brady feels about where he was drafted.

I dig Baker. I want him to prove it to all how good he is.
If he does that The Browns will rule.

I just came back from a lengthy excusion out west, where I put over 3500 miles on my truck. Most of that driving time was spent listening to the NFL channel and other national sports channels on Sirius. It totally baffles my mind how many of these so called experts feel that Baker is just a middle of the road, game managing qb, that can't get the most out of our explosive offense. That Baker has to show a lot of improvement this year or we should move on. The wife and I kept wondering if these bozos watched a single Brown's game last year. He really gets no respect in the national media, despite showing excellence at every level he's played at. Despite this, the Browns team sure does generate a lot of positive interest though. It was wonderful hearing the buzz surrounding our team.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
There's a lot of talk on Facebook about those who knock Baker. I just smile. He has always been motivated by his detractors. Let them say whatever they want, the worse, the better. He'll be that much more driven!

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree with them that Baker probably is closer to a game manager type QB v a carry the team QB.

That said, you don't move on from that because he isn't just a game manager. He offers enough of the other to win a lot of games.

I see a lot of Theisman and the Redskins in Baker and the Browns O. Joe could chuck the ball around, but in the end it was the Hogs and Riggins that made that team click.

I see the current Browns much the same.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

In the end analysis you can not do what Baker has done and not be good.

It really is that simple.

He has succeeded at every level despite great odds. That can not be an accident.

Is is easy to look at a player like Josh Allen and say what a stud. The fact is Baker has done more than he has with lesser physical skills.

I like Allen. He had a great year last year. He really improved in a number of areas. He was not very good his first two years. He has not had to go through what Baker did with the Browns coaches.

Lamar won an MVP. He went to a proven winning team. They built an offense around his skills. Yet I never hear that Lamar is a system quarterback. Of course he is a system quarterback. As a runner he can do things no other quarterback can do. Lamar can not throw the ball as well as Baker. I don't see Lamar bringing a team back down 17 points. In fact that has been exposed in playoff losses.

I have heard it said Baker has to prove he can win games from the pocket. Why? Does Lamar have to prove that?
Win the game. "Baker wins because of Stefanski's offense and their running backs." Guess what Winning counts.

Baker in college won plenty of games with his arm. He put up huge numbers. Now he is playing under the scheme the head coach and OC designed. After learning it in the covid season for the first time. Yes, it took half a season. Then what happened? His numbers were in the top three of quaterbacks in the NFL.

So, it bothers me but only to a degree.

I know what kind of quarterback Baker Mayfield is.

And I am damn glad he plays for the Cleveland Browns.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I have no concerns for Baker going forward he will have his moments when he frustrates everyone including himself I am sure but he has learned how to manage a football game keep his mistakes in check and probably the most important lesson a QB can learn. The fat chick in the front row is always open sometimes she is the best play you can make and it's OK hit her.

He is gaining ground on what it takes to win you can call him whatever you choose as long as it's not a loser. I think in the long haul all of his detractors serve a great purpose, so I am sorta for it. In the end he will win it all that I am sure of. What else matters?

He has the one thing that matters most in a QB he is very accurate and he throws great on the run. I expect this season will see his completion percentages go up along with our win totals. Again what else matters?

I would add we all know what Baker stepped into it's truly not all that surprising that Allen and Lamar have had more success then he has to this moment in time prior to his arrival the Browns had won one game in 2 seasons. To think that in year 4 of his career in Cleveland we are where we are as a team is a testament to how well he has preformed. I think at some point the reality of everything Baker has accomplished will hit is detractors and if it don't who really cares just keep winning Baker like I know you will.

The Browns Dynasty starts this season.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Legend
Legend
I expect baker to make Josh Allen to look overpaid.

I can’t see how anybody isn’t on the bake train at this point. I saw too much last year to not believe in him.

Dude is about to eat this season.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
T
Legend
Legend
T
You kept wondering if those bozos watched a single Browns game last year.
I'm sure they watched the Jets game, and the Giants game.

Figure this. According to National media searches, a look back at Baker Mayfields first game in the NFL,
It was game #3, of 2018, the Browns vs. Jets, I'm not sure which stadium.

Tyrod Taylor was in the game trailing 0-14 for the Browns.
Baker Mayfield comes in and puts up drives, that score 21 points and the team gives up 3.

Now, The National media won't give Mayfield credit for that win, After all, they are New Yorkers mostly.

In his first game he beat the Jets 21-3 basically, while he was on the field,
and they want to give credit to Tyrod Taylor? (Just because he started)

I think they have sour grapes because they got stuck with Sam Darnold, never forget that.

And Never Forget Mayfields detractors are hoping he will leave your team so he can go play fantastic for their favorite team.
How many Mayfield detractors really love Cleveland as a city, and say nice things about Cleveland in other contexts? I bet you'll find very few.
Never forget these.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Expectations for Baker

Link Copied to Clipboard