Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
Of course he cares about his contract extension. To say otherwise is laughable.

Tackles are tackles.
O
Legend
Legend
O
To your point, the guy who should be praised with how he's handled his contract is Higgins.

Baker is gonna get paid and he knows it. He's not worried about it because he doesn't have to.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

IMO I believe Baker has been completeley honest.

He cares but not right now. He is paying someone to take care of his contract.

When he said he is focused on winning week one and then on to the next game. I do believe that is where his head is at.

It has not been reported that the Browns have made any attempt to extend him. That may or may not be true.

Until his agent is in negotiations why should he divert any attention? It would serve no purpose.

When he is in a position that requires his attention that is when he will care.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
He laid it all out in the interview.

He has agents who are negotiating on his behalf. He pays the agents to get the job done.

He doesn't have to care about the extension because his agents know what baker wants.

It's the front office talking to the agents. So Baker can focus on getting the work done.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: The Collector
He laid it all out in the interview.

He has agents who are negotiating on his behalf. He pays the agents to get the job done.

He doesn't have to care about the extension because his agents know what baker wants.

It's the front office talking to the agents. So Baker can focus on getting the work done.

No doubt. Agents are limited to 3% of a players contract.
Agents can get more if the player uses them for financial services as an example, and they can make 10-20% for endorsement deals they negotiate.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:
The fat chick in the front row is always open sometimes she is the best play you can make and it's OK hit her.

I'm soooo glad I have context for this sentence...

rofl

"too many notes, not enough music-"
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Wouldn't be funny if Baker plays out his contract and then goes "home" to either Dallas or Houston? Hahahahaha.....

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
He also has side money from the Progressive commercials.... DR Pepper Heisman commercials too. So it's not like he's hurting for money or anything.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
Quote:
The fat chick in the front row is always open sometimes she is the best play you can make and it's OK hit her.

I'm soooo glad I have context for this sentence...

rofl

i'm so confused.

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Baker is Cleveland's Quarterback.

Tough, Gritty and a Winner!

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
I agree with them that Baker probably is closer to a game manager type QB v a carry the team QB.

That said, you don't move on from that because he isn't just a game manager. He offers enough of the other to win a lot of games.

I see a lot of Theisman and the Redskins in Baker and the Browns O. Joe could chuck the ball around, but in the end it was the Hogs and Riggins that made that team click.

I see the current Browns much the same.

No offense but I think a conclusion that he's closer to a game manager likely leaves out some context. For example: Between his rookie year and second year how many times was it mentioned that Baker had to get out of his tendency to play hero ball? I think there was an attempt to do that under Freddie but everything about that system was so scattershot so who really knows. FFWD to last year under Ski.. Baker really reigned in a lot and focused on the fundamentals. His week to week progress demonstrates that.

I don't think we can have it both ways: criticize a guy for playing hero ball (i.e. trying to carry the team himself) then knock him for being a 'system QB' when he dials it back in order to perfect his craft.

And of course you could still be right and I know you aren't trying top bash the guy. I just think its a bit early to come to such an assessment for the simple fact that with the ridiculous amount of talent we have on Offense, Baker doesn't have to 'carry the team'. I'd even argue that whether Baker is or isn't, his job right now is to execute the system as taught and to make sure the ball gets where it needs to.

IMO the true test comes down the road as the amount of talent we have now starts to trickle away.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown

Baker is Cleveland and Cleveland is Baker.

We are the same.

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg

We are the same.

"We are the world. We are the children."

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

We are the same.

"We are the world. We are the children."

"We are the ones out here to ruin your day, so let's start scoring."

Last edited by FATE; 08/11/21 09:15 AM.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
O
Legend
Legend
O

We are the same.
We are the Borg.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: TrooperDawg
Wouldn't be funny if Baker plays out his contract and then goes "home" to either Dallas or Houston? Hahahahaha.....

Funny only if you are a Steelr Raven or Bengal fan.

The kid is a franchise QB.

What most don't appreciate is not his completion % but his accuracy on those completions that is what will make this kid an exceptional QB most of his completions hit the WRs right in the hands where he does not have to break strides. He also can hit those small windows when needed. He is probably one of the best leaders out there, our Defense loves him and thrive on his play. They are always excited and standing up to watch him play. We are lucky to have him here. IF we let him go it will be one of the worst moves by this franchise!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

When I hear comments like that.

I get chills.

So important for the quarterback to be a leader.

S
Legend
Legend
S
I think he's always going to have detractors because of how well the team can run the ball. Idiot fans will point to that as a crutch, despite having a strong running game is a nice thing to have?

I want him to keep developing, keep getting better. He is progressing nicely.

I want his decision-making when running with the ball to be as best as humanly possible. With this season being extended by another game, we need his availability. He needs to be Russ-level smart when taking off with the ball. Live to fight another day. Russ is so damn smart with that. One of the best I have ever seen.

T
Rookie
Rookie
T
Quote:
What most don't appreciate is not his completion % but his accuracy on those completions that is what will make this kid an exceptional QB most of his completions hit the WRs right in the hands where he does not have to break strides.

I don't know about this. His accuracy is definitely a strong point in his game, but he's not pinpoint/hit guy in stride accurate. He puts a lot of balls high and a lot of balls behind his receivers...not uncatchably high or behind, but enough that the receiver has to make adjustments. We don't need to exaggerate his accuracy to think it's good enough, which I think most would agree that it is.

As far as the tight window throws, he indeed completes a lot of those. However, I wonder if that speaks less to his accuracy (relative to other QBs) and more to his aggressiveness:
1. I've seen plenty of other QBs do the same as Baker. (Was it Burrow last year in one of our games that absolutely fooled the camera crew it was squeezed into such a tight space?) But Baker just may make those throws more often, whereas other QBs take the check-down or another more open option.
2. Those tight window throws, whether aggressiveness, accuracy, or both, are also a big reason that he has his high INT history...a lot of balls that carom off the WR or closing DB. So tight window throws are not an unmitigated positive in a QBs game. He did a better job as the season went along taking the easy option, which I think is good. Nice to know he has the tight window throw in his toolbox, but it's better to be used judiciously.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: thedawggene
[quote]
I don't know about this. His accuracy is definitely a strong point in his game, but he's not pinpoint/hit guy in stride accurate. He puts a lot of balls high and a lot of balls behind his receivers ...not uncatchably high or behind, but enough that the receiver has to make adjustments.

Who are you talking bout' here? JOE BURROW?

1. I've seen plenty of other QBs do the same as Baker.

Oh we've got a wise-discussion here.
The Smack shack is upstairs, last door on the left!

T
Legend
Legend
T
I disagree, because Higgins signed for too little imo.

It's a delicate balance, to keep everyone happy.
If everyone in the NFL made a set same amount 2020 payouts would be like near 4 million every player. (based on a 200 million payout per team)

Signing for too little eventually can be as disruptive as signing for too much. Because eventually owners and unions have to agree it is not worth fighting but it's balanced enough to play.

So for that reason, I disagree that the player to be praised for how he handled his contract is Higgins, because Higgins appeared to rush to sign for the minimum.
(Not the League minimum, but per his value he's, underpaid, imo.)

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Rookie
Rookie
T
Dude, your takes are always so bad, I shouldbn't be surprised. I can put together a clip from the second half of 2020, when Baker has been at his best, and still show you numerous throws I'm talking about. So could you...watch any game highlight clip you want. It's frankly not even that controversial. So what if his ball placement is not always perfect? I was just pointing out the fact that it wasn't, and that many fans take Baker's strength and exaggerate them beyond the truth, which isn't necessary.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Just watch the Giants game from December 2020.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone
I am pretty sure Bake is a tier 2 QB at this juncture and I feel by seasons end this year he will be in tier one that was about where he landed at the end of last season and I expect he will pick up where he left off.

So far all the reports I have read on camp have him completing pass after pass they said day 2 he missed 2 throws. He is ready and the gun is loaded. He has been working at something this off season I would be curious to know what sort of home work Ski gave him for the off season.

I made a quarterback list, Baker was 8th on it.
The problem is the New York starters were 44,45, 46th or not on the list. (44 Darnold, 45 Jones, 46 final working spot with Zack Wilson in the discussion, Ehlinger also). There are just backups or 3rd stringers that are better than them that's the bottom line.
Baker is a top 6 quarterback in the league any time he plays, the only question is who are the other 5, it varies, so placing him 8th is underselling him.

2.71 Td drives per game, avg. one third of those the Rb is going to take it in. Baker is pretty awesome for a quarterback.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Rookie
Rookie
T
Quote:
Just watch the Giants game from December 2020.

Just random chance you picked his most accurate game of the season by far, huh? (84% completion%). That's ok though...even in the highlight vid, which doesn't show all his passes, he has a few examples of what I'm talking about:

0:57 - Kareem reaches way back for a catch
2:21 - Bryant pulls down high screen pass
4:45 - TD to Landry probably had to be high & outside, but this play is interesting in that it is an example of Baker being unnecessarily aggressive and overlooking the easier pass, as Njoku was wide open in front of him.
5:02 - Behind (Hooper?) over the middle. At first I thought it was a "settle down in the zone" throw because there maybe was a defender bearing down, but no. That one should've led the receiver.
7:24 - DPJ has to slow stride and reach back for the ball.

Again, I'm not really even bothered terribly by these throws...just trying to be objective about it. Saying his pinpoint accuracy always hits guys in stride to allow for max YAC is just not true. And his tendency to throw high and/or behind does increase risks to our WRs.

Also, Dak's TD to Lamb to go up 14-7 and Burrow's TD to make it 17-10 in the comeback game are the type of tight window throws that many Browns fans want to say is unique to Baker. I view it as great that Baker is one of the QBs that can make these, but let's not be delusional about it.

T
Legend
Legend
T
A problem with completions?

For those who Know, as in we know Baker is pretty Awesome as a Quarterback, no more evidence is necessary.

For those who refuse to believe, no future amount of evidence would suffice.

O
Legend
Legend
O
IMO, this accuracy thing boils down to the 'Good-Baker vs Bad-Baker' effect. Baker looked awful in the first half of last season, then kinda turned things around (my understanding is that his mechanics calmed down the longer he was under our current coaching staff and as he gained confidence in the system). Regardless of the why's, Baker has always had a bit of Jekyll-Hyde to his game in terms of his accuracy.

-PrplPplEater
T
Rookie
Rookie
T
OOBER,

There's that, too. Hopefully his "bad Baker" floor continues to rise, as it did in 2020. Not counting the Steelers game, because he had the rib issue. But even in Baltimore game 1 when we got trounced, he was way better than bad Baker in 2019.

Ultimately, we don't need him to be elite all the time (which he was not in 2020, no matter what binary thinkers say). He has shown the potential to play elite QB for short stretches, a half here, 1.5 games there. If he can be good enough in the reg season, and string together a hot streak in the playoffs, that's really all we need.

B
2nd String
2nd String
B
Baker at his best is like a hall of fame point guard, he can read the defense and can distribute the ball without regard to talent at WR in a deadly accurate fashion. He did this all throughout his college career. Best I have ever seen in that regard.

He has shown that many times in the NFL as well. See stretches with 20 straight completions (not something every NFL QB can do). He has also shown stretches of throwing high or making bad reads in the NFL, something I never saw out of him in college. I think that mostly has to do with offensive scheme disorganization (coaching) and Baker stressing to get the ball to Odell, rather than mechanics, per say. Per the error in the rankings, he can definitely take over a game and put a team on his back (see Cincinnati, Tennessee, and Baltimore games last year). So although many times we won't need him to do spectacular things during the season, he is fully capable, and that ability will definitely be needed in shootout games.

I fully expect him to take another step consistency wise this year and become a pro-bowler with a settled offensive scheme, personnel, and coaching behind him. My only concern is that treats Odell like anyone else out on routes and does not hinder his natural ability to distribute the ball. Hopefully, we will run some 2 minute offense this year to mix things up, which I think would help him and the team.

Attaching Baker highlights from last year to remind everyone his topend talent, which is easy to forget listening to the national haters out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGriDYj-FPg&t=316s

Go Browns!

E
Legend
Legend
E
Ido not enjoy being miss quoted. I praise his accuracy bu there is no such thing as "always". Point blank
the kid is accurate in a different way
so glad he is on our team, nuff said.

Jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
T
Rookie
Rookie
T
EO, I copy-pasted your words, as they were an exaggeration of the truth.
But we can agree that we are glad he's our QB.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Dude, your takes are always so bad, I shouldbn't be surprised. I can put together a clip from the second half of 2020, when Baker has been at his best, and still show you numerous throws I'm talking about. So could you...watch any game highlight clip you want. It's frankly not even that controversial. So what if his ball placement is not always perfect? I was just pointing out the fact that it wasn't, and that many fans take Baker's strength and exaggerate them beyond the truth, which isn't necessary.

Vers?

T
Rookie
Rookie
T
Haha, I wish I had his knowledge of the game, for sure. His attitude, maybe not so much. Sorry if you see it that way, though.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Haha. That is funny. And you show up exactly when his last offline activity was on this board in 2020. Lol. And you are acquainted with his posting persona. Hahahaha.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Quote:
Baker at his best is like a hall of fame point guard, he can read the defense and can distribute the ball without regard to talent at WR

This is a good point BAKER. His ability to play at the same level appears to have little to do with receiving talent. Breshad Perriman and Ricky Seals-Jones are proof of that. This is why I’m not really worried about losing any wr/te not named Landry.

Browns fans are born with it...
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
TROOPER,
Not sure if you’re joking, but I’ve been around this board for going on 2 decades. Only times I posted heavily were during grad school, and mostly I’ve just lurked in the past decade. But I will speak up for VERS to an extent…when he wasn’t involved in dumb pissing matches with other posters, he had really interesting football opinions to share.

Oh, whoops. I see now posting from my phone that I apparently have 2 accounts. Haha, THAT’S how long I’ve been around, and how old and forgetful I am!

Last edited by dnadawg; 08/13/21 07:05 PM.

B
Legend
Legend
B
And it's good to see you around!

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
You too, PEEN! I kind of got away from here when it was all personalities and agendas. Very cool to see a bunch of you are still around.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Expectations for Baker

Link Copied to Clipboard