Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Legend
Legend
B
I think there are times the team selects players at a position we don't see as all that necessary. We all feel that at time.

Frustrating? Yes. Very. I have learned it best to not get all worked up about it because in the end, there really isn't anything we can do about it.

I do understand the frustration.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
In general, I agree with you. What I don't understand is how someone can watch last season and get bent outta shape about taking a DB high.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
T
Legend
Legend
T
It's really about Terrance Mitchell leaving isn't it. A 3? year process of installing a replacement we don't know how well will work out.

O
Legend
Legend
O
No. $ Mitchell was an excellent backup/depth guy that had versatility in the secondary. Newsome was picked to be an outside starter-caliber opposite Ward.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
But you wanted to add a ‘replacement’ WR high in the draft to replace(?) Landry or OBJ?
Newsome is going to make us forget T Mitch. He’s got all the skills needed to be a #1 CB and he’ll be playing our #2. If Ward can’t stay healthy Newsome will fill that #1 spot. ….then next year we can draft another CB…. That’ll make your head explode.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I’ll be especially happy that we didnt draft a WR if DPJ makes the strides that have been reported

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Anthony Schwartz?

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Use your brains guys.

TL put a lot of work and effort in to that. It made sense to me.

PM me if you need an explanation.

I wouldn't know.

The guy is on permanent iggy.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
But you wanted to add a ‘replacement’ WR high in the draft to replace(?) Landry or OBJ?

Whoa! What I wanted to?

Maybe in the vacuum of only 3 players on earth, and pick the BPA,
Elijah Moore
Terrence Marshall
and Greg Newsome
that, So far, IMO, Newsome is not, the obvious stand out #1 BPA, of the 3.
If need is not considered.

And the rest of your post, Corner next year? Wasn't that my original point 2 days ago, the Brian Allens, M.J. Stewarts, A.J.Greens, of role players, either make a situation in the draft, where the Browns needed either, Zero Cb's, or at least 3. (To actually address the "need" adequately, if it exists. or They'll be in the same spot come next April. ( How can they possibly be in the same spot next April, after their Super Bowl Winning ring design gets unveiled? notallthere rolleyes)

Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
Newsome is going to make us forget T Mitch. He's got all the skills needed to be a #1 Cb and he'll be playing our #2.

And you are basing this on Newsomes' about 6 games with Northwestern last year in college,
vs. Mitchells 16+ with the Browns in the NFL,
or
Are you clearly observing, (as it was circa 1985, just saying), that Newsome is clearly outplaying Mitchell in camp to take his job?
(Which is of course Horsecrap because Mitchell was already waived or traded whatever.) (And he wouldn't be taking Mitchell's spot he'd be taking Allens' or Stewarts' or Greens', They don't make teams like they used to)

May it all work out, Go Browns!

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
JMHO, NFL, not for long, we've had OBJ/Landry for number of years, both are 5 11 and have reached their athletics peaks. They cost lots of dollars. Landry has set the bar professionally.
After this year, time for DPJ, Higgins, Swartz, and TEs to take over. We are spending to much money on WRs. BIG talented beats Little talented most of the time. I want TEs and DPJ to get more throws vs the two talented scat backs we pay millions. Go Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
B
Legend
Legend
B
I see both Landry and OBJ gone as well. OBJ possibly before the season starts in a trade.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: hitt
BIG talented beats Little talented most of the time.

It's all about matchups; who the defender is. If the CB covering is also a bigger strider kinda guy, then your little shifty guy is going to eat him up. Offenses generally know what a defense is doing in any given look, and once you've been around long enough, you know the general responsibilities of each guy in a given look.... so, you know that if you motion 'x', then you know that schematically, 'y' is going to follow with him. So, getting matchups is what matters. To most easily do that, you need both Big Talented and Little Talented.

It's about what gives you the best chance to win in any given situation on any given day.

To Landry and OBJ... together, they can do it all. OBJ can blow the doors off a secondary, and Landry can out-shifty a lot of guys. Both run impeccable routes and are hard to read at the LoS (think Joe Thomas and how he always lined up giving the same look, whether it was run or pass he was dropping into). They are the complete package, which is why they cost more. Until and unless the other guys put it all together at the same level, you should stick with the guys that get the job done.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I see both Landry and OBJ gone as well. OBJ possibly before the season starts in a trade.

I can see that as a possible scenario. However, OBJ is as healthy as he has been in quite a while. His trade value is as low as it's ever been. We aren't in a cap hell situation this season so the FO may see this season as a possible way to increase his trade value and trade him during the off season next year. He's under contract through the 2023 season so that would not be an obstacle in trading him during the off season next year.

I certainly think the leadership that Landry provides in what would be an otherwise younger, less proven WR core to be a reason he would be here longer than OBJ.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
After more thought and some review, OBJ has 2 more years on his deal and we are through the most expensive years.

He probably won't go anywhere this year. If Peoples jones continues to emerge, he probably digs in to Landrys play time and Landry is traded or cut next year.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
We aren't in cap hell, but one of the consistent themes of this FO is staying ahead of this kinda stuff. I'm not saying they're looking to trade him this season, but they're going to be getting big money off the books before it's an issue.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
I agree. Which is why my best guess was next off season.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I agree wholeheartedly with your matchup statements. And I mentioned both of our high priced WRs as pros- Landry especially. However, both are small, both have NOT been AVAILABLE at their peaks.
We have the scat, fast, flashy guys with Felton and especially Schwartz. They'll get a year of seasoning and should/could take over for both the big dollar guys.
JMHO, when close to goal line I prefer big guys- DPJ and two or more of our TEs- NO NFL team has several good big CBs/Safeties AND they have to defend the RUN with either Chubb or Hunt.

We need to pay Mayfield/ Ward/ maybe Teller- his replacement is on the team. Money is limited....so, play our two $$ WRs this year and be ready to unload next year.....GO Browns

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
L
Legend
Legend
L
I’d rather keep Landry than obj. I’m not going to criticize Beckham, but they’re about the same age and I think Landry, for one thing, is a great player - not far off from OBJ, really - but he’s also a leader. Jarvis makes plays, is a ferocious blocker, a vicious competitor. I want him back with us for several more years.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
I’d rather keep Landry than obj. I’m not going to criticize Beckham, but they’re about the same age and I think Landry, for one thing, is a great player - not far off from OBJ, really - but he’s also a leader. Jarvis makes plays, is a ferocious blocker, a vicious competitor. I want him back with us for several more years.

I have seen this style of post quite a few times. I love Landry from a skill set stand point he is very average.

I agree he brings a great attitude to the team a great team player with even better hands. OBJ is your rare guy. It's hard to find guys who can motor like he does with great hands, but as someone pointed out he has been unavailable quite a bit. Someone also said that they have been unavailable to much Landry missed his 1st start in the Jets game last season when he was put on the Covid close contact list, beyond that he has played every single game since joining the team. OBJ is another story. Just thought it was sort of important that we clear that up some.

There is also a chance that these guys re-work their deals so they can stay with the team for the long haul, and there is also a chance that Bake takes less to keep these guys on the roster. One of the re-occurring themes from this off season is players taking less to join us. Not every guy including the QB can be the highest paid player in the league. Assuming these guys want to be a part of championship football they may set aside their personnel ego's and take a bit less to remain here like Chubb did. I don't think anyone is going to starve if they take less that is for sure.

My point is the books aren't closed on anyone yet, and there is a better then even chance IMO that these guys take less to stay. I sure hope that is true but if it isn't I will accept it because I have no other choice. Seeing a player like Landry or OBJ let go or traded away is going to be tough for all of us especially if this team is as great as they are going to be. Both of these guys have worked very hard at their craft I don't think we could have ever asked for more on that front.

I would say let's enjoy this season and we can all worry about next year when it comes.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
O
Legend
Legend
O
I'm one of the Landry > OBJ guys, but that's NOT because I dislike OBJ. More than anything, it's based on the assumption that we're going to be able to keep the both of them along with all of the talent that seems to be developing right now, and also the assumption that these WON'T take pay cuts to stay here past their current contracts.

As you said, OBJ is a rare talent, and he deserves appropriate compensation (and he'll get it, especially after he gets a healthy season in the books again). These guys absolutely should make all the money they can while they're playing.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: lampdogg

Fast forward to 2022...They are essentially getting paid the same amount in 2022. OBJ's cap hit is $15M; Landry's is $16.5M. Cutting OBJ costs us nothing. Cutting Landry costs us $1.5M. (Landry @ $16.5M = saywhat )

If both players were healthy, I take OBJ over Landry everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. No hesitation whatsoever as he is the far superior player. And if I was forced to choose one over the other and have to take the cap hit on one of them, it's easily OBJ.

The problem is OBJ and his injury history and the fact the offense was strumming along fine without him.

This team's offensive cap in 2021 is $142M. I think these two WR's take up $30M of that-- which is ridiculous compared to value received from them and it goes up in 2022. I think the odds of both staying are rather low. I think the odds of cutting one and keeping the other at the same salary is low as well, but not as low as the prior scenario.

For me, it think its the hope the OBJ comes back 100% and has a great season. Move on from Landry and the $16.5M cap hit, possibly restructure OBJ in some fashion and work with a WR corp of OBJ, Higgins, DPJ, and pick other young WRs in the draft. Hodge even is a possibility w/ his special teams availability.

Tackles are tackles.
O
Legend
Legend
O
I think the analytics and the financial side of things completely agree with your path forward there. I would just worry about what would happen to the WR room if Landry (or both) were to suddenly leave. I just don't see his replacement on the roster right now (security blanket WR, super tough, vocal leader). Higgins might be the closest thing, but I think his on-going contract situation hampers his ability to take leadership of that room. Maybe I'm grasping at straws... but I don't like the idea of just starting to build a culture and then ushering a guy like Landry out the door.

It's still too early, but DPJ seems to be developing into that big-play WR that could slot him into OBJ's role (plus they both have the whole initials-as-their-nickname-thing going :-p ).

-PrplPplEater
B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree. Landry is a fine player and person. That doesn't change the fact the guy is making too much money for the production.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Maybe I'm grasping at straws... but I don't like the idea of just starting to build a culture and then ushering a guy like Landry out the door.

I don't think you are grasping at straws, necessarily. And I do think Landry is good WR-- just wildly overrated around here. I don't put all that much into the "locker room" guy when it comes to attributing his value, certainly as it relates to him getting paid. It comes down to almost all on the field for me.

And I think the culture is already here. It's been built. Thanks to a FO direction, a coaching staff plan and communicating expectations. That won't go away with Landry exiting stage left. But that's just me.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Don't forget that the new TV contract money kicks in for 2022. Those contract dollars for OBJ & Landry not only will be small once that happens, BUT there's a chance that we could work out extensions for both and keep them another two to three years, depending on how things are going.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think how the WR's produce that are lower on the depth chart will be a critical ingredient in the moves we make going forward. It would be hard to give up your #1 and or #2 WR's if people like Schwartz and DPJ do not develop into the WR's we all hope they will.

How they develop and produce will go a very long way in how we handle the situations with Landry and OBJ moving forward IMO.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Well how do you feel about OBJ/Money for his production ?

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
Well how do you feel about OBJ/Money for his production ?

Not good either. The difference is we have already paid the expensive part of OBJ's contract while Landrys is now starting.

Don' get bent...I like Landry. I am looking at it from an objective point of view and not through rose colored glasses.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm to old to bend good , lol .. Modern football requires a very large slide rule. Might come down to neither is retainable. I just have Questions with very few answers.. Looking forward to the Season !

B
Legend
Legend
B
LOL...I don't bend all that well either.

Well, to be specific, I bend well enough. It's the unbending part that takes some time and effort.

Last week we drove to Florida to visit her 95 year old mother. For one reason or another( road construction south of Atlanta killed 1 hour +) it was 4 hours on the first leg before we got out of the car. I was petrified to the seat when we finally stopped.

I am a slow learner. I should know by now I really need to get out of the car every 2 hours or so to walk around for at least 10 minutes or so.

Gone are the days of driving from fill-up to fill-up and eating a burger while driving down the road. Trips down to Florida or up to Cleveland for games are no longer straight through drives. About 400 miles or so is about as far as I go before it's time to shut it down.

Last edited by Ballpeen; 08/10/21 07:09 AM.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
LOL...I don't bend all that well either.

Well, to be specific, I bend well enough. It's the unbending part that takes some time and effort.

Last week we drove to Florida to visit her 95 year old mother. For one reason or another( road construction south of Atlanta killed 1 hour +) it was 4 hours on the first leg before we got out of the car. I was petrified to the seat when we finally stopped.

I am a slow learner. I should know by now I really need to get out of the car every 2 hours or so to walk around for at least 10 minutes or so.

Gone are the days of driving from fill-up to fill-up and eating a burger while driving down the road. Trips down to Florida or up to Cleveland for games are no longer straight through drives. About 400 miles or so is about as far as I go before it's time to shut it down.

Several years ago, I had to go to Cleveland. I hired a service to drive me up. They had a nice minivan, which was comfortable enough, but after about 1/2 hour, I had to have them pull over so my back could decompress.

I remember one year I went on vacation, and drove down to Nashville ..... non-stop, except for a fill up. (and grabbing a burger) Those days are probably gone forever.

Getting old stinks!

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm driving to upstate *ichigan in 2 weeks. 6 hour drive. I anticipate stopping a couple times to unkink the back as well.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Looks like I'm not alone. lol

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:
Getting old stinks!

It does, but it is better than not getting old.

I suppose there comes a point where going from old to ancient might not be worth it.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I was going to say, "Getting old stinks," but it beats the alternative.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I just did a crap ton of driving (over 3500 miles) from Ohio to Colorado and back, including some sight seeing. The 60yo prostate kept me honest, but I was able to pull 3-4 hr stints until the back and knees required relief. I also did some good stretching when pulled over.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
A
Legend
Legend
A
Wasn't all that long ago that, when we'd drive for vacation I made the statement: "Go to the bathroom now, cause our next stop will be when the vehicle needs gas. We'll get food then, also."

Just this weekend, wife and I headed to "Guardian" lake, s.e. of Lima, Oh. (cleveland baseball fans will get it) Hour and 40 minutes or so of a a drive.

I made it, no stops. But once there? Now, granted, too much coffee in the morning....

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Quote:

I just did a crap ton of driving (over 3500 miles) from Ohio to Colorado and back, including some sight seeing. The 60yo prostate kept me honest, but I was able to pull 3-4 hr stints until the back and knees required relief. I also did some good stretching when pulled over.

Hope you had a blast on your trip out west... not quite the same as when we were young pups, eh? I'm doing this 4 hour stint every other week from Fort Wayne and back. On days we don't need to stop and pee (not very often lol) it's hard top get out of the car at the end of the trip!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain

Some days yes, some days not so much... It would be much easier if we didn't get old.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain

Some days yes, some days not so much... It would be much easier if we didn't get old.

It would, but death is the toll we pay for the time we have. Father Time collects that toll, no exceptions.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns and Analytics

Link Copied to Clipboard