Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1868640 06/25/21 09:09 AM
Legend
OP Online
Legend

Seems like everyone has been talked about except the "Head Coach of the Year."

I remember when Bruce Arians said he wanted to coach the Browns. Most seemed to think "well that's nice but he is to old and will not coach long." Well he did alright. And he is looking to do more. Players love the guy and he is a good coach.

The Browns went a different direction and took the young inexperienced guy Kevin Stefanski.

Here we are a year later with the "Head Coach of the Year."

Lot of people including Mrs. Haslam wanted Josh McDaniels.

Apparently he wanted full control and that did not fly.

Some wanted Mike McCarthy an experienced Super Bowl winner.

Others considered:

Josh Daboll, Robert Saleh, Jim Schwartz, Eric Bieniemy, Greg Roman.

We can all speculate on what would have happened with any of the others.

Saleh was liked by all reports. I guess a case could be made for any of the other guys.

I wonder if any of them would have done what Kevin did?

At this point I can not imagine having anyone else. And really I am glad we got him. You never know what someone else may have done. All I can say is: "I think we got the best one."

Kevin has that mix of a leader who gains respect and communicates his message.

He put together a great staff. His offensive philosophy is based upon play action and running multiple plays off the same looks. Make a defense guess. Lots of movement. Strong run game with heavy use of tight ends. Zone blocking and a fullback are also a part.

Kevin has an ability to lead and make it collaborative at the same time. He values productive input.

What I really like about him is; he is unafraid to look at himself critically and strive to improve. A characteristic that should serve him well over the long haul.

He also knows how to deligate. Let others do their job and oversee without micro managing. Van Pelt, Woods, Priefer, Callahan all have major input.

Obviously in order for it all to work. You have to be in lock step with the GM. If that relationship is forced or sour. Success will not happen.

Lastly there has to be gained respect and full cooperation from his players especially the quarterback.

The marriage between head coach and quarterback is where championships come from. Hard to win without that.

As the 2021 season comes near. I am glad Kevin is the Browns head coach.

bonefish #1868645 06/25/21 09:39 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Thank our lucky stars Paul DePodesta is on our side.

A few might tie him, including Andrew Berry, but Depo doesn't take a back seat to anybody being called the smartest person in the room.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
bonefish #1868653 06/25/21 10:53 AM
C
Legend
Legend
C

bonefish #1868676 06/25/21 12:36 PM
F
Legend
Legend
F
I think most just didn't know much about KS when this started. But man, after that introduction press conference, I was impressed with the guy.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
FloridaFan #1868678 06/25/21 12:55 PM
Legend
OP Online
Legend

Given all the circumstances surrounding last year. I really wonder how anyone could have handled all the adversity better than KS.

Having to go to a new team under covid restrictions. Then dealing with covid throughout the year.

All of that was unexpected. It is hard enough to be a new coach and implement new systems and learn your players.

Looking back and thinking about all the crap of dealing with new technologies. Remote learning. A million other things. All of it on a guy who had never been a head coach.

Think how much better the team is today having gone through all of that.

Coaching "his team" this year will seem easy by comparison.

I believe the Browns have their head coach for a long time coming.

Ballpeen #1868684 06/25/21 01:35 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

A few might tie him, including Andrew Berry, but Depo doesn't take a back seat to anybody being called the smartest person in the room.

If it wasn't for Dee Haslam taking over and running the team. We would be still doing dumb things.

When she took over for the Crew, they won it all. Now, she has the Browns.... the rest of the story is waiting to be written.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
superbowldogg #1868687 06/25/21 01:42 PM
Legend
Legend
I don't know about "taking over the team", but she has certainly had a positive influence. I think she stepped in and finally grounded Haslam to an extent.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
FATE #1868689 06/25/21 01:46 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Sometimes people can just learn from the process of trial and error according to the mistakes that have been made. God knows for a long time Haslam made plenty of errors to learn from.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
bonefish #1868690 06/25/21 01:57 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would say DePod has had the biggest impact of any executive in CLE

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
bonefish #1868702 06/25/21 04:48 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
LOL, I actually wanted us to pick that doofus Josh McDaniel or the pudgy Mike McCarthy.

superbowldogg #1868709 06/25/21 05:09 PM
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg

If it wasn't for Dee Haslam taking over and running the team. We would be still doing dumb things.

When she took over for the Crew, they won it all. Now, she has the Browns.... the rest of the story is waiting to be written.

Anybody who thinks Jimmy doesn't still have a lot of control is fooling themselves. IMO, it was a move made by both of them, to take some heat off of Jimmy. Could have been nothing but a PR move, since Haslam was being pummeled by the media and fans. They are a married couple who share the empire they have built. Imagine if , from the start, Dee would have been looked at as the controlling entity, people would have continued to bash the organization for having an inexperienced woman running the show. Heck she has been ridiculed before and probably will be again, for not being a "NFL" insider with years of experience.

The Haslams have paid a huge price, both monetarily and personally, since buying this team. Now that they went thru the growing pains and have things organized, and the right people in charge, they still get no credit.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Steubenvillian #1868711 06/25/21 05:14 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Personally maybe. But the NFL logs huge profits every year. The salary cap to pay the players is based on a percentage of those profits. The value of NFL franchises are constantly on the rise. The Haslams have paid no monetary price by owning the Browns.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1868749 06/26/21 07:20 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Personally maybe. But the NFL logs huge profits every year. The salary cap to pay the players is based on a percentage of those profits. The value of NFL franchises are constantly on the rise. The Haslams have paid no monetary price by owning the Browns.

The cap is based on revenue, not profits.

I'd also take issue that the Haslams have paid no monetary price to own the Browns. If true, I'll go buy a football team.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
bonefish #1868785 06/26/21 12:59 PM
Legend
Legend
Paul Depo certainly looks smart coming out of all of this so far. He wanted Stefanski a year earlier and really pushed for the FO to be surrounded with an intellectually based staff

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawgs4Life #1868794 06/26/21 03:08 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Imagine where we would be now if we had Kevin in 2019.

bonefish #1868797 06/26/21 03:23 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Kevin has a style and a way of handling himself that isn't centered on him and his ego but on what matters winning and doing everything to bring all the pieces together for everyone to feel and really be valued.

He has the kind of style that has everyone willingly to go through walls. I am thrilled we have him and to think he is so young he will build one of the most storied NFL careers I believe in the annuals of NFL history before this is over.

He is simply the main reason I believe we stand on the doorsteps of a dynasty and I also believe every other team in the league will envy us because of him.

Yes he has a tremendous amount of talent on this team no question but he is making that talent fit and work for one goal, winning. I see no egos in Cleveland I just see whatever it takes to help us win. We see players coming here because they want to be a part of this team and it's transformation as we inch closer and closer to championships.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Legend
OP Online
Legend

Hope you are doing well.

We are fortunate to have this guy.

Since he came on board I watched every press conference and interview with him.

He is really impressive. Really like his demeanor.

He has that inate ability to listen. Know what to say and when. His coaches seem to really respect him.

Clearly he is extremely organized. The way he handled the end of the season and now a new beginning - impressive.

I totally agree that we are in for long run of success.

Berry/Stefanski combination is as strong of a foundation as we can ask for.

bonefish #1868819 06/26/21 08:34 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
Hey Bone. What’s up?

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
FATE #1868830 06/26/21 11:11 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: FATE
I don't know about "taking over the team", but she has certainly had a positive influence. I think she stepped in and finally grounded Haslam to an extent.

Dee Haslam is the CEO. She is running the show for Haslam Sports Group for the last 2 years.

She is the reason.

superbowldogg #1868831 06/26/21 11:40 PM
Legend
Legend

Dee Haslam is the CEO. She is running the show for Haslam Sports Group for the last 2 years.

She is the reason.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
PitDAWG #1868848 06/27/21 09:19 AM
Legend
Legend
The Haslams have paid no monetary price by owning the Browns.

They paid a pretty hefty price but have gotten a darn good return for their investment...

Frankly, I don't care if it's a PR move or not... when Dee took (or appeared to take) a more active role two years ago we started moving in the right direction...

<><

#gmstrong
superbowldogg #1868849 06/27/21 09:24 AM
Legend
Legend

She is the reason.

Ain't buying that. Not even a little.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
E
Legend
Legend
E
QBs just don't come on the scene and pwang get it.

It takes time especially when the QB is getting a new HC new OC and new playbook every season.

I was please with Baker's maturation as he got the OFFENSE and this is the first year that he has all returning so he can produce accordingly. I expect a dynamic offense this season starting with the word GO...

OBJ will be a big part of it. what he will be able to do catching the ball on the run with perfect accuracy. As we create space and get some YAC from a skinny post. Running the ball is going to be PRIMO and if we have a defense that can attack with impact MAN o MAN what a season ahead!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Damanshot #1868860 06/27/21 10:53 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

She is the reason.

This is pretty common knowledge. Not sure why you wouldn't.

superbowldogg #1868886 06/27/21 01:59 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B

She is the reason.

I don't think she is running it to the extent your post indicates, but no doubt she is more involved since it has gone more to a family operated team and Dee clearly has had major impact.

In that vein, JW Johnson, the son-in-law seems like a very sharp, engaged person. I think he has played a positive role since he was named team President.

However it all evolved, all is good as it sits. Would anybody really want to change anything?

A few years ago Jimmy was claimed to be a meddler. A front office heavy in analytics was looked at as if it was Voodoo, we needed "traditional" football guys.

Again, hands up if you would like to see substantial changes in the management end of the football operation?

I think the engine is running pretty darn smooth at this point.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #1868888 06/27/21 02:09 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

She is the reason.

I don't think she is running it to the extent your post indicates, but no doubt she is more involved since it has gone more to a family operated team and Dee clearly has had major impact.

In that vein, JW Johnson, the son-in-law seems like a very sharp, engaged person. I think he has played a positive role since he was named team President.

However it all evolved, all is good as it sits. Would anybody really want to change anything?

A few years ago Jimmy was claimed to be a meddler. A front office heavy in analytics was looked at as if it was Voodoo, we needed "traditional" football guys.

Again, hands up if you would like to see substantial changes in the management end of the football operation?

I think the engine is running pretty darn smooth at this point.

she is running it the same way she ran the crew.

She is the CEO and gives everyone enough space to let their expertise shine

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2021/03/02/dee-haslam-credit-cleveland-browns/

Dee Haslam gets not nearly enough credit for the Cleveland Browns success

there are tons of articles on what happened when she took over 2 years ago.

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2020/03/27/dee-haslam-real-boss-cleveland-browns/

The media has not caught on that Dee Haslam is quietly calling the shots now for the Cleveland Browns football organization.

SuperBrown #1868925 06/27/21 09:24 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
We'd me in the midst or coming out of another regime change. Dorsey (as much as I liked him) wouldn't have been as in sync with KS as Berry has been.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
superbowldogg #1868926 06/27/21 09:26 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
I always thought the move to have Dee over Jimmy as far as ownership was from a legal standpoint, not so much a running-things standpoint. Jimmy did that when the Pilot FBI fiasco was still going on, and I always assumed the switching owners was to protect his assets if the case went sideways on him.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
superbowldogg #1868948 06/28/21 08:38 AM
Legend
Legend

She is the reason.

Does she have the title,, yup.. does she have the power.. I doubt it,

Jimmy got into trouble a few years back and that may have caused trouble within the NFL.. So she's there to keep the Browns in the family should Jimmy end up in real trouble.

Thus the reason I don't buy it.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Damanshot #1868989 06/28/21 01:25 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

She is the reason.

Does she have the title,, yup.. does she have the power.. I doubt it,

Jimmy got into trouble a few years back and that may have caused trouble within the NFL.. So she's there to keep the Browns in the family should Jimmy end up in real trouble.

Thus the reason I don't buy it.

except, when she took over, the Crew won. Now, we are winning. Also, her marketing company was a success.

But, ya know.... Jimmy must have suddenly figured out how to manage people 35+ years into running Pilot exactly at the same way at the same time Dee took over running the the Crew and the Browns.

seems legit. LOL

oobernoober #1869034 06/28/21 11:22 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
We'd me in the midst or coming out of another regime change. Dorsey (as much as I liked him) wouldn't have been as in sync with KS as Berry has been.

Good point. The Berry factor is huge.

Old school Dorsey would not have made things as seamless.

oobernoober #1869043 06/29/21 06:15 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Not sure of exactly what you are saying here, but if you're saying what it appears your saying I concur Dorsey is really good at what he does and running a draft no question there.

However, where he operates from is he is the super star he wasn't and isn't about winning so much as he is or was in taking all the bows. That in my view is counter to where the Browns currently operate from and I believe in the long haul when you look at everything from this stand point alone Dorsey is a poor choice. It's sort of to bad to because if he were willing to share and just simply do his part he could build a legacy as a great GM. The man knows talent but he isn't a coach and he can't do it all even if he thinks he can.

For him Freddie was the perfect choice because as a head coach he was lost. That meant Dorsey had all the control and of course it failed. I give Haslam credit here he quickly realized that Dorsey was the wrong guy and that Dorsey in spite of being great at picking out talent was to high on himself to ever simply be a part of winning.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...

This is Paul DePodesta's Team pure and simple his first year in complete control!

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
O
Legend
Legend
O
I think Freddie was just a bad hire, simple as that. But I was just pointing out that our current setup is that of many people working together, whereas Dorsey was more of a one-man-show. I'm not trying to put one above the other, as I was a fan of Dorsey while he was here, but I just don't think that he'd be able to fit into the culture that was brought here.

-PrplPplEater
oobernoober #1869059 06/29/21 11:09 AM
Legend
Legend
I think Freddie was just a bad hire, simple as that. But I was just pointing out that our current setup is that of many people working together, whereas Dorsey was more of a one-man-show. I'm not trying to put one above the other, as I was a fan of Dorsey while he was here, but I just don't think that he'd be able to fit into the culture that was brought here.

What makes you say that, buddy boy?

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
jfanent #1869066 06/29/21 12:01 PM
Legend
OP Online
Legend

Once decisions are made I deal with the present.

I am glad we are where we are.

Dorsey was a strong talent evaluator. He brought good players here. The Kitchen's hire ended his job in Cleveland.

I have moved on.

And today I could not be in a better place. To have ohers in the media who cover the NFL for a living along with former players call the Browns the most complete team in football is really something.

It is such turnaround from the past that I don't even know how to take it.

So, I go back and look again at the roster and center on my own evaluation of the roster along with my impression of Kevin Stefanski.

I am confident in what we have.

jfanent #1869070 06/29/21 12:14 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: jfanent

rofl

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1869105 06/29/21 05:37 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: jfanent

rofl

I will never in a million years forget Baker imitating Dorsey... Yikes,, he was spot on rofl

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
eotab #1869145 06/30/21 06:47 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: eotab
j/c...

This is Paul DePodesta's Team pure and simple his first year in complete control!

jmho

I don't think even Jimmy at this juncture is in complete control what the Browns have become is a great example of what a group of people can achieve if they truly work together and value each other.

We are IMO all team with each member doing his part and relentlessly doing all they can to win. They share everything with no one person valued over another that's why this is great and will be great for a long long time.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

O
Legend
Legend
O
The Consensus is here! It has arrived!

-PrplPplEater
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Kevin

Link Copied to Clipboard