Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

There is no doubt that I am "a half full guy." I don't assume the best but I am a optimistic person.

I just finished listening to an interview with Marc Ross on the "Orange and Brown Report."

Marc Ross worked for a year as a consultant for NFL Football Operations, and prior to that, Marc spent 11 years with the New York Giants, winning two Super Bowls in his time with the organization. Marc spent five seasons as the Vice President of Player Evaluation and six seasons as the Director of College Scouting.

According to Marc the Browns have the best roster in the NFL.

I will start with "the ceiling." If you buy what Marc Ross stated and you believe in Stefanski and his staff.
Well Super Bowl has to be a logical step.

You need some breaks to go your way to win the SB.
But again I am an optimist and I am getting pretty old so win now means something. There are some very good teams in the AFC. Start with the Chiefs. Then you have the Bills and Ravens.

The Floor.
I would say the floor is we get into the playoffs as a wild card; win a game and then lose.

I hate even thinking about that. But the NFL is super competitive. The Ravens are a good team and are capable of winning the division and the SB. There are other good teams like the Titans as well.

Once you punch a ticket to the playoffs. You have to get hot because any team that reaches the playoffs can have a great game and take you out.

In the end IMO we have to much talent and have come to far. I do not see us not making the playoffs.

* This season there is 17 games. Hard to say what impact that will have. I do think when I look at everything that the Browns could do something special like win 20 games.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Superbowl ceiling

Mayfield on IR floor

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

If we lost Baker for say four games. I think Case would do just fine.

However, long term it would of course be a problem.

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
I can't believe I am even writing this but Super Bowl has to be the ceiling.

AS far as the floor I am stating without a major injury at a critical position, I think the floor is a record of about 10-7 or 11-6. Whether that makes them playoff teams would depend on success of other teams.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
This is probably going to be a sort of defining moment for this organization and for the players on this team.

Ski is about to face his toughest challenge ever to field a confident but not cocky team that is focused on winning and working. Last season the Browns flew under the radar sort of this season that is going to change dramatically. The eyes of the country are on Cleveland this year, expectations from fans and non fans is through the roof. I think those expectations are justified and realistic but who knows how players will react? How Ski will react and handle the team and players? Again I think will get positive results in fact I expect us to win it all this year, but there is a lot of change in the wind for this team in nearly every possible conceivable way.

From fans at training camp to packed NFL stadiums. The Browns have as much of a target on their backs at this point as KC, or Tampa. But I guess my point is just think for a moment what is going to be different about this year then last just from a TC and game day experience for the players. In Cleveland the town itself will be electric, the buzz will be deafening. Us old guys remember what Cleveland was like when we were in the mix. The younger crowd is about to get a taste of that along with the players and coaches, and electric is the only way to describe Cleveland when the Browns are in the hunt.

It's going to be difficult for the players at times and it's going to be really hard for Ski he is going to need to pull everyone aside and get everyone focused like he did last year but in many respects last year was much much easier the distraction this team will face are going to be off the charts and how they handle that as a team is going to be a vital part of this. I already feel concern for what is about to transpire. I feel certain that Ski has a plan but this is going to throw stuff at this team that they just never imagined is my bet. The foundation the work has to stay focused and i think Ski can get that done, but this will be his first try and that has to be of at least some concern.

That said if it weren't for the fact that we probably face our hardest game of the season week one I wouldn't be shocked if we won every game we play next year, I think we are that good, or should be.

I would think 10-11 wins would be the floor and a failure in all honesty.

If i were a betting man a would let it ride on Cleveland winning it all.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
Superbowl ceiling

Mayfield on IR floor

This could have been the thread.
Signed, sealed, delivered.

I'm glad it's continuing, but this was elegant.

carry on, hounds.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
T
Legend
Legend
T
Considering how high a floor would be, we still have to consider how tough each and every divisional game is going to be.
If the Browns go 0-6 in the division games, the Browns are not making the playoffs, and by then, what else would really matter
because this is the year that is supposed to be,
this is supposed to be the Browns window year.

The AFC is too tough to think even a 3rd place in their division team gets in, even if they have a winning record.

So the importance of the divisional games, is all about avoiding any floor.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
I enjoyed reading this, THROW.

What do you (realistically) think CLE's divisional record will be? I ask, because your post is the first one to make me even think of this angle.

(Dang. You & I may have just stumbled upon the next really fun thread idea...)

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I’d argue we will have our best look, in the next 2 years. People are going to get paid, we just need a couple more hometown discounts.

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
B
Legend
Legend
B
Just a word on "hometown" discounts...those don't usually happen on the first contract after the rookie deal. Players are usually looking to sign, seal, and deliver their future security.

Discounts usually happen on subsequent deals and or extensions that help the team with cap complications.

I wouldn't be looking for any significant discounts from any of the main players we are seeking to lock up.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Ceiling...Super Bowl win

Floor...anything else.

If you believe the goal is to win the Super Bowl, then anything else is a failed season.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Ceiling is, of course, Super Bowl

The floor is 0-16. Ok, probably not that, but still something MEGA disappointing like 6-10. Let's face it, we're good - on paper. The one ghost we haven't kicked, yet, is delivering big when we're expected to. Every single time we've gone into a season with expectations, or had a player hyped, we've failed to deliver.

Josh Gordon has a breakout year, then expectations hit and he wilts.
Weeden & Crew have a big year, then JJ, K2, and Edwards can't bail him out enough the following year.
Peyton Hillis on the cover of Madden.
LeCharles Bentley plays basketball.
K2 rides a motorcycle.
Staph infections appear on Oprah Giveaway Day.
Butch Davis takes us to the playoffs... then the outhouse.
Freddie Kitchens.

This franchise's recent history is literally a constantly recurring cautionary tale against having Hope and high expectations.
So, our floor is that level of disappointment. We know it all too well.

Now, I think this roster simply has too much talent everywhere for that to happen, but I've learned to Never say Never with that stuff.
Hope for the Best, Prepare for the Worst.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone
This is probably going to be a sort of defining moment for this organization and for the players on this team.

Ski is about to face his toughest challenge ever to field a confident but not cocky team that is focused on winning and working. Last season the Browns flew under the radar sort of this season that is going to change dramatically. The eyes of the country are on Cleveland this year, expectations from fans and non fans is through the roof. I think those expectations are justified and realistic but who knows how players will react? How Ski will react and handle the team and players? Again I think will get positive results in fact I expect us to win it all this year, but there is a lot of change in the wind for this team in nearly every possible conceivable way.

From fans at training camp to packed NFL stadiums. The Browns have as much of a target on their backs at this point as KC, or Tampa. But I guess my point is just think for a moment what is going to be different about this year then last just from a TC and game day experience for the players. In Cleveland the town itself will be electric, the buzz will be deafening. Us old guys remember what Cleveland was like when we were in the mix. The younger crowd is about to get a taste of that along with the players and coaches, and electric is the only way to describe Cleveland when the Browns are in the hunt.

It's going to be difficult for the players at times and it's going to be really hard for Ski he is going to need to pull everyone aside and get everyone focused like he did last year but in many respects last year was much much easier the distraction this team will face are going to be off the charts and how they handle that as a team is going to be a vital part of this. I already feel concern for what is about to transpire. I feel certain that Ski has a plan but this is going to throw stuff at this team that they just never imagined is my bet. The foundation the work has to stay focused and i think Ski can get that done, but this will be his first try and that has to be of at least some concern.

That said if it weren't for the fact that we probably face our hardest game of the season week one I wouldn't be shocked if we won every game we play next year, I think we are that good, or should be.

I would think 10-11 wins would be the floor and a failure in all honesty.

If i were a betting man a would let it ride on Cleveland winning it all.

Excellent post: Some of my thoughts to follow-up:

1. I sense Stefanski has the full respect of the team. He will keep the attitude in check, and keep attention to detail.
2. We will be going into a second year of stability. The playbook will be far more complete than last year.
3. We have incredible diversity of talent. Really hard to gameplan the rich talent on offense.
4. Our defense is a whole new level and look. Again, hard to gameplan against it.
5. This will be KC's first rodeo with a new o-line.

I hope these dang COVID variants don't screw it up for us.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Honestly, the way KS and Co. were able to weather the various storms last year shows they have the emotional strength to handle success (IMO, obviously).

The injury bug can derail just about any season. That's always the #1 variable, no matter what kind of team you have.

Normally, I have a 'wait and see' and 'watch their development over the first half of the season' kind of approach, but this season is different. IMO, there's no time to waste. I'm really hoping we can start the season (more or less) firing on all cylinders. If past Baltimore teams can come in week1 and be in mid-season form, why can't we?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

This feels different.

When a guy like Marc Ross calls the Browns the best roster in football along with other experts.

I don't know. It is far from Brown's fans alone saying "well we have a good team and should make the playoffs."

The only time in memory was in 1986/87 when the Browns were on the cover of Sports Illustrated as the Super Bowl favorites.

For sure I think to the man that all Browns fans have that "when should I duck?" moments now.

B
Legend
Legend
B
It's great other people think we have a good team and good shot.

Let's go win the Super Bowl. If we don't do that, we failed. Better luck next year.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
J/C...

We of course have the talent especially at OL which will give us a playoff Offense no doubt.

Question is how awesome will our Defense be especially our DL with a healthy Garrett and then Clowney on the other side...this could be amazing, not good not great but Amazing!!!

We will have many keys. For me its GAME #1 us vs the Chiefs I think our players will have to make a collective "GULP" and realize just how good we are and be confident in that prowess.

That will be the key for me...us surpassing that "GULP" and kick everyone's ass from there on in.

Baker...what you all don't realize is Baker is one tough cookie very tough and he will always get up even if he only has one leg. He is the Black Knight of Monty Python fame...come back here Coward! lol laugh

Our Offense will be better and score more along with a possibility of shutting out our opponents along the way this could be a season of beauty. Get the "GULPS" out of the way cause here we come wink

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

At this point I have mulled over all there is to digest.

I just want to see them play. See if all I see is true or if my lying eyes are playing tricks.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Floor is 0-17 for every team. Ceiling is a SB win.

Most likely prediction of a Browns floor season is 7-10. I just don't see them doing worse than that.

Most likely ceiling is another playoff run.

No wins is a very low probability. SB win is also a low probability at this point of the year, but each win increases the likelihood that a SB is possible. I honestly see us making it to the AFC title game this year but anything can happen in football.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Again, let's don't go nuts like we did in 2019 please.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
Again, let's don't go nuts like we did in 2019 please.

Or, to a lesser extent, like I did before the 2008 season. Predictable then, I guess, but still embarrassing for me. (I talked that season up to anyone who could hear me at my job, etc).

Last edited by AZBrown; 07/09/21 02:52 PM.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg

What do you (realistically) think CLE's divisional record will be?

You don't want to know, because I think it's going to be 2-4 or 1-5, conditionally hopefully better.

and Hinging on, Pittsburgh is going to be out for revenge, and,
I keep getting the same bad feelings about the Ravens bye Ravens games, when I look at the schedule, that I got about the
At Giants, At Jets, two games of looking at last years schedule, all year long, before they played them.
And both of those games were screwy.

Everytime I think about Lamar Jackson, I think he's on an unstoppable path. (since the day he came back from covid? mid last year.)
In, 2020, the Steelers were the only AFC North team to not get swept by a div. foe, The Steelers swept the Ravens, who Swept the Browns who swept Bengals, and the Steelers split with the Browns and Bengals,
(And in the playoffs the Browns beat the Steelers.)

Now, if we think the Ravens aren't going to not get at least one of two against the Steelers this year,

We can assume there is none of the three the Steelers are more focused and determined to beat than the Browns.

I assume the Bengals are not good enough to sweep the steelers, or the Browns, but are good enough to split with both, or get swept it's 50/50.
Assume no team in the North is bad enough to go 0-6,

And Probably No team in the North is good enough to go 6-0, but if it were it would be
Steelers or Ravens most likely
Browns not quite as likely and
Bengals laest likely, to go 6-0 in the division.

Consider I think Roethlisburger is jonesing to have one last Really good year, (super motivated),

But unlike them the Ravens are not about to be relying on a rookie running back.

And the Browns are going to face the most motivated divisional opponents because of all the off season Browns hype.

It is going to take some Mayfield Magic, and some Offensive explosive plays,
along with a little bit of Myles Magic, and some Defensive explosive plays

to really set things right, and tell those other three teams a What For in the new AFC North.

Last edited by THROW LONG; 07/09/21 05:09 PM. Reason: add a not

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Butch Davis takes us to the playoffs... then the outhouse.
Freddie Kitchens.

You skipped from Butch Davis to Freddie Kitchens like it was a smooth transition, nothing in between. Hil-larious.

Legend
Legend
Thanks for taking the time.
I hope you're wrong!

wink

M
Legend
Legend
M
Everything is theory and the roster are all stars on paper until they start playing. And while I still have battered Browns syndrome, this year is different. Instead of hoping for the coaching to mesh - I feel like we have a rock in Stefanski. Instead of hoping the team is gelling or that they can play as a team - that was last year... they did gel, they have come together as a team. Instead of hoping we overcome the losing culture - we've already begun that mental process. Now instead of asking can they change the losing culture - it's 'how much have we' changed it?

For the long litany of reasons adequately covered in lots of posts in this forum - the ceiling is the Super Bowl. Sure it will require some luck - mostly regards the health of our top players - but predicting the Browns *can* go to the SB is not a stretch. That in itself is amazing from 12 months ago. Speaks volumes and mad kudos to KS, Berry and a tip of the hat to former regime's that contributed to the talent or the draft capital that got to this point. Hey - call me crazy or call me optimistic - I booked a hotel as close to Sofi Stadium as I could at the end of last year. 2 nights. Feb 12th and 13th ! Hoping I do not need to cancel.

The floor - realistically for me - 10 wins. That'll seem like a season that stalled and that we didn't realize the additional talent that's been added. I mean the offense is essentially the same - maybe a couple nice adds in the WR3 or 4 slot. The D has been transformed. No need to bang on ... but 10 wins will be a disappointment and I don't see any way to not get to 10 wins.

Divisional record? We can beat Pit twice. We can at least split with the Bengals. We should at least split with the Ravens. 4-2 or 5-6.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
A tear soaked face walking down memory lane....you forgot Run, Willie, Run...best weed smoking running back we've had....sad, so much wasted talent...wait and no "so me the money"- supposedly we KNEW about his alcohol problems and took him anyway---WOW, how stupid can ya get.

Big difference in the LEADERSHIP- JMHO, the whole organization has a WORK hard mentality, get better or hit the road. I was surprised the woman got off lightly, historically she's semi-famous so a small pass....hope that isn't a precedence.
Barring key injuries- Super Bowl...bottom, we won lots of close games last year against lighter competition "supposedly" - don't know bottom- 7 win would be real ugly.
I pray my bottom isn't anywhere close....GO Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Legend
Legend
This team is very talented but anything can happen in the NFL.

TOUGH SCHEDULE this year. All it takes are some heart-breaking losses, a few key injuries and other circumstances that could leave us at 9-8 or 10-7... and on the outside-looking-in when the playoffs arrive. I really don't see it, but it could happen. There was some show I watched recently talking about how tough the AFC is, and how tough our division is, and how tough our schedule is. The immediate feeling is the itch of BBS kicking in. Then I quickly thought... It's us the other teams should be worried about, not vice versa. We're just as good or better than those teams.

Ceiling: All you want is a chance, a playoff berth. Once that happens everyone has a fighting chance. Hopefully we are (relatively) healthy and getting "hot" at the right time. Now that were the alpha, I'm not real keen on the expanded playoff format that leaves only the top seed with a playoff bye. Hopefully we can punch KC in the mouth week one -- that could have HUGE implications down the road as the winner will have an automatic tie-breaker should our records be the same at the end of the regular season. If we can sit at home for the first round, heal our lingering injuries, open with a playoff game in C-L-E-V-E-L-A-N-D our chances for a Super Bowl are very real.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
There is absolutely no reason we can't compete and win in KC.

All the talking heads will be kissing KC's behind.

We have Kevin. Finally, we have an intelligent coach who knows how to win and more importantly how to game plan.

I like our chances.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Can the Browns score 28 points in that week 1 game.

Legend
Legend
Ceiling: Superbowl

Floor: 7 wins

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Ceiling: Super Bowl
Floor: I still think there’s a way we only win 6 games or so. Teams will adjust for Stefanski, we could suffer some key injuries, have some bad luck, etc. Baker, of course, is the key either way.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
E
Legend
Legend
E
Good job trolling Throwback...

I just hope your Bengals keep their young QB safe and not in the IR again.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
ceiling.... Super Bowl

floor.... Super Bowl

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Everybody's saying Superbowl for the ceiling. I'll just assume you mean actually winning the Superbowl, not just getting there.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Ceiling: Superbowl

Floor: Rebuild

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Ceiling-AFC championship

Floor-9-8

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
To answer the question:

Ceiling-Super Bowl WIN!

Floor-10-7

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Everybody's saying Superbowl for the ceiling. I'll just assume you mean actually winning the Superbowl, not just getting there.

That is why I say win the Super Bowl. Anything less than a SB win is a failed season.

Screw going to the Super Bowl if you don't win. Other than maybe some iconic games, nobody cares who lost the SB.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
It is the silly season and I've already played this game. BUT, reality is COVID isn't over and we had key guys unmasked shoulder to shoulder with the general public at a fight. No one can predict injuries, or performance- the past is an indicator, but please don't let COVID derail our season before it happens, nor injuries ruin potential.....sorry for being negative, but the worrier in me sees bad stuff....GO Browns!!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
T
Legend
Legend
T
That's a good point, about to guess who of the Browns may be vaccinated. I think only vaccinated players are supposed to give in person interviews.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Ceiling and Floor for the Browns

Link Copied to Clipboard