Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#1872612 07/27/21 10:07 AM
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Might as well start a thread. Here's a fluff article with a good video embedded within. Higgins is certainly motivated.

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2021/07/26/cleveland-browns-rashard-higgins-looks-ready-ahead-camp/

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend

I am disappointed that JOK tested positive.

Every person affiliated with the Cleveland Browns has access to the most complete and informative information regarding covid.

The league has made it's position clear.

I have been probably the most vocal person on the Board about how high I value JOK as a player and person. He is probably my favorite draft pick.

However, frankly I am disappointed in any player on the team who has not gotten vaccinated.

It is about the player sure. But it is also about his teammates. He has a responsibility to them as well as himself. It matters not that he is asymptomatic.

He is going to miss ten days. That is important in itself no matter virtual meetings.

He is a rookie. Someone who is trying to contribute to a team.

Not happy about this.

O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/spor...ist/8087067002/

Do we know he hasn't gotten vaccinated? I've only read 2 articles on it, and I don't recall either ever specifying if he'd gotten a shot. Breakthrough infections are definitely a thing. The article above doesn't even officially state he's tested positive (it's a pretty safe assumption, but point is that we really don't know much hard information on JOK's status).

MKC Update on JOK - read below for the highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvjYIe-1WZs

-she's "gotten the vibe" that he has tested positive... but my point is they don't actually know. This means he'll be back in 10 days.

-he can work out on his own, he's not completely 'shut down' like last year

That's it.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend

They will probably not disclose if he was vaccinated or not.

However, if he was vaccinated he can return early if he can test negative twice in 24 hours.

If he is out ten days. Most likely he was not vaccinated.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
He's also asymptomatic apparently. I know that some people (Bill Maher?) have tested positive after being vaccinated, but don't experience any symptoms.

All just pure banter on my part.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Yup, and that's all that we can really do, as all we are 100% sure about is that he's on the list. A reasonable assumption seems to be that he tested positive, but we really don't even know that at this point.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
The fact Delpit is 100% is nothing short of amazing.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
I hadn't heard that JOK tested positive for Covid. Did I miss it?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend

The Cleveland Browns and News 5, the team's official flagship TV station for preseason games and exclusive year-round programming, announced today that veteran broadcaster Tom McCarthy and former Browns All-Pro left tackle Joe Thomas will call Cleveland's preseason games at the Jacksonville Jaguars (7 p.m., Saturday, Aug. 14) and against the New York Giants (1 p.m., Sunday, Aug. 22).

McCarthy, whose impressive résumé includes a vast number of live television and radio broadcasts across the NFL, MLB, college sports and more, will provide play-by-play while Thomas will serve as the in-game analyst. The duo will be supported by Browns Senior Media Broadcaster and Cleveland Browns Daily co-host Nathan Zegura reporting from the sidelines.

"It gives me chills just thinking about being back in Cleveland and being able to call the Browns' preseason games," said Thomas. "This team, this city and these fans have all had a huge impact on my life, and being paired with a veteran broadcaster like Tom McCarthy just adds to the excitement. The Browns accomplished some great things last year, and I'm looking forward to being there as they build on that success for 2021."

"It is my honor to join Joe and Nathan this year for the Browns preseason games," McCarthy shared. "Joe was one of my favorites to interview during his years as a player so to be paired with him in the booth is tremendous. Kevin Stefanski and the rest of the Browns staff and players were a lot of fun last year, and I am excited to see what they have in store for their fans, the AFC North and the National Football League in 2021 and beyond."

Thomas is currently an NFL Network analyst who contributes to various NFL Media programs, including as a member of the group's Thursday Night Football production. With the Browns, he was a 10-time Pro Bowl selection and played every offensive snap at left tackle (NFL-record 10,363 consecutive) during his 11-year career. He is a two-time Browns Walter Payton Man of the Year honoree (2010 and 2016), which recognizes a player's excellence in the community and on-field performance.

In 2019, Browns preseason games airing on News 5 posted a 20.5 average Nielsen household rating in the region, the sixth-highest such figure among NFL markets for that year.

Returning for their 23rd consecutive season together, longtime voice of the Browns Jim Donovan and Browns Legend Doug Dieken will anchor each gameday radio broadcast throughout the preseason and regular season. The games will continue to air through a special triplecast on Audacy's 92.3 The Fan (WKRK-FM) and sister station 98.5 WNCX (WNCX-FM) and Good Karma Brands' 850 ESPN Cleveland, as well as across the University Hospitals Cleveland Browns Radio Network.

Prior to each preseason game, Browns fans can also tune into News 5 for "Browns Countdown," hosted by Jon Doss and Zegura. The 30-minute program provides exclusive Browns content and interviews each week heading into kickoff.

Through the partnership, the Browns and News 5 have collaborated to deliver special behind-the-scenes access to fans throughout Northeast Ohio and the world, including three-time Emmy Award winning docu-series "Building the Browns;" weekly preview and pregame shows during the regular season; special looks into training camp and the draft; and more.

The NFL adjusted its preseason schedule from four to three games after expanding the regular season schedule to 17 games. AFC teams will play nine regular season home games and one preseason home game in 2021 and will flip to eight regular season home games and two preseason home games in 2022. That pattern will rotate between the conferences over the following years.

2021 Cleveland Browns Schedule
PRESEASON
Week 1 – Saturday, Aug. 14 - at Jacksonville Jaguars – 7:00 p.m./News 5 Cleveland
Week 2 – Sunday, Aug. 22 - New York Giants – 1:00 p.m./News 5 Cleveland
Week 3 - Sunday, Aug. 29 – at Atlanta Falcons – 8:00 p.m./NBC

REGULAR SEASON
Week 1: Sept. 12 – at Kansas City Chiefs – 4:25 p.m./CBS
Week 2: Sept. 19 – Houston Texans – 1:00 p.m./CBS
Week 3: Sept. 26 – Chicago Bears – 1:00 p.m./FOX
Week 4: Oct. 3 - at Minnesota Vikings – 1:00 p.m./CBS
Week 5: Oct. 10 – at Los Angeles Chargers – 4:05 p.m./CBS
Week 6: Oct. 17 – Arizona Cardinals – 4:05 p.m./FOX
Week 7: Oct. 21 (Thu) - Denver Broncos – 8:20 p.m./ FOX-NFLN-Amazon
Week 8: Oct. 31 - Pittsburgh Steelers – 1:00 p.m./CBS
Week 9: Nov. 7 – at Cincinnati Bengals – 1:00 p.m./CBS
Week 10: Nov. 14 – at New England Patriots – 1:00 p.m./CBS
Week 11: Nov. 21 – Detroit Lions – 1:00 p.m./FOX
Week 12: Nov. 28 – at Baltimore Ravens - 8:20 p.m./NBC
Week 13: BYE
Week 14: Dec. 12 - Baltimore Ravens - 1:00 p.m./CBS
Week 15: Dec. 18 or 19 - Las Vegas Raiders – TBD/TBD
Week 16: Dec. 25 - at Green Bay – 4:30 p.m.- FOX-NFLN-Amazon
Week 17: Jan. 3 (Mon) - at Pittsburgh Steelers – 8:15 p.m./ESPN
Week 18: Jan 9 – Cincinnati Bengals – 1:00 p.m./CBS

Sunday night games in Weeks 5-17 subject to change; Week 18 TBD

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Veterans reporting to Berea for Training Camp today! This is how excited I am.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
I hadn't heard that JOK tested positive for Covid. Did I miss it?

Yes, you missed it. He said he has had no symptoms.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Training camp preview: 5 positions with questions and that are critical to success

https://www.brownszone.com/2021/07/27/tr...cal-to-success/

Position battles are a staple of training camp.

Two men, sometimes more, show up with a starting job, or roster spot, on the line. The pressure is as intense as the summer heat, and the scrutiny magnified depending on the position and the competitors.

The 2021 Browns aren’t an exception. They will have noteworthy battles, particularly on defense, when camp opens Wednesday.

(The offense returns all 11 starters and nearly all its key backups. The only new faces to make the roster on that side of the ball may be a trio of rookies — third-round receiver Anthony Schwartz, fourth-round lineman James Hudson III and sixth-round receiver/running back Demetric Felton.)

But with Super Bowl expectations providing the backdrop, this camp is about more than a few individual battles. Here are five positions to watch, as they’ll have major implications on whether the Browns can reach their vast potential.

WHO AND WHEN?

The unknowns at linebacker are fascinating. There are so many questions to answer.

How often will coordinator Joe Woods use his base defense that requires three linebackers? What about the two-linebacker nickel and one-linebacker dime?

Is there one linebacker who will stay on the field in every situation, and is that free agent pickup Anthony Walker Jr., rookie second-round pick Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah or Jacob Phillips, a third-round pick in 2020?

How quickly will Owusu-Koramoah move into the rotation, and will the timeline be delayed because he’ll miss the start of camp on the COVID-19 list?

Are there spots for Sione Takitaki, Mack Wilson and Malcolm Smith?

General manager Andrew Berry recognized a weakness at the middle level of the defense a year ago. He signed Walker in March then drafted Owusu-Koramoah out of Notre Dame and Tony Fields II out of West Virginia in the fifth round. The fast, undersized rookies fit what Woods wants on the weak side.

Walker, Phillips and Owusu-Koramoah are locks to make the roster. They’re also likely to get the most playing time. Takitaki makes sense as the strongside starter in the base, and Fields figures to stick because he’s part of the rookie class.

That leaves Wilson, Smith, Elijah Lee and Montrel Meander fighting for a spot or two.

Woods will mix and match personnel groupings through camp and the preseason. The combinations he settles on will be expected to connect the line and the secondary and be efficient vs. the run and the pass.

Training camp preview: 5 storylines to follow

BIG GUYS, BIG GOALS

The defense has the talent to become a top-10 unit in the NFL. It won’t get there unless the line dominates.

End Myles Garrett was an All-Pro a year ago despite being sidelined and weakened by COVID-19. He performed like the Defensive Player of the Year early in the season — five sacks and three forced fumbles from Weeks 2-4 — and should make a serious run at the award he covets again this year.

He’s not enough. Ends Jadeveon Clowney, the No. 1 pick in 2014, and Takkarist McKinley, the No. 26 pick in 2017, were signed to take pressure off Garrett and take advantage of his presence on the other side. Clowney and McKinley ended last season on injured reserve and must prove they’re up to the task of replacing Olivier Vernon, who was more than solid at the second end spot last year.

Tackle saw even more turnover. Gone are starters Sheldon Richardson and Larry Ogunjobi, and Jordan Elliott, a third-round pick in 2020, is the only holdover.

Free agent pickups Malik Jackson and Andrew Billings, who opted out of last season, are expected to start in the base defense. Jackson can also rush the passer from the inside on third down and move to end on early downs for a more powerful front.

The other tackle options are unproven but intriguing. Rookie Tommy Togiai, a fourth-round pick out of Ohio State, is powerful and a potential playmaker. Malik McDowell is a former second-round pick who’s never played in the NFL after a series of off-field issues. And rookie Marvin Wilson was a priority signing after the draft.

SNAP TO IT

The offense had to grab a spot on this list, and it goes to the receivers.

Odell Beckham Jr. and Jarvis Landry, if healthy, will get the bulk of the repetitions, but the competition is stiff for the scraps of snaps.

Rashard Higgins, KhaDarel Hodge and Donovan Peoples-Jones spent time as the Nos. 2 and 3 wideouts last year and are joined by Schwartz, the rookie speedster. I’d expect coach Kevin Stefanski to go with more three-receiver sets and less two- and three-tight end formations to take advantage of the wideout talent, but how he divides the playing time remains to be seen.

At least one of Higgins, Hodge, Peoples-Jones and Schwartz will likely be a healthy scratch depending on the opponent and game plan. Whether one emerges as a clear-cut No. 3 will be worth watching in camp.

THE LAST LINE

Woods made his career as a defensive backs coach and will build the defense and scheme around the backend. He couldn’t do that a year ago because of significant injuries and a lack of depth across the secondary but has a restocked cabinet.

The key question at cornerback is where first-round rookie Greg Newsome II fits. Will he beat out Greedy Williams, who’s returning from a nerve injury in his shoulder that sidelined him for all of 2020? If not, can Newsome slide into the slot and play ahead of free agent pickup Troy Hill?

Newsome would seem to have the edge on Williams because of his draft status (No. 26), but Williams was the 46th pick in 2019, started 12 games as a rookie and is 2 inches taller at 6-foot-2.

At safety, John Johnson III should be on the field for every snap after signing a three-year, $33.75 million deal as a free agent. Woods will use plenty of three-safety sets, but when he goes with two he’ll have to pick between Grant Delpit and Ronnie Harrison Jr.

Delpit, the No. 44 pick in 2020, missed all of his rookie season with a torn Achilles tendon. If he’s healthy, he figures to play a bunch. But Harrison made a good impression last year after arriving in a trade before the season.

KICKIN’ IT

Camp practices have a rhythm. When the 11-on-11 drills stop, many observers grab a drink or check their phone.

Not this year. The special teams deserve attention.

The Browns generated little in the return game a year ago, and will look for the guy or guys to provide a jolt. Veteran JoJo Natson is back after sustaining a torn anterior cruciate ligament last season but will be challenged by Felton, Schwartz and holdovers Peoples-Jones, running back D’Ernest Johnson and receiver Ryan Switzer.

There’s also a battle at kicker. Cody Parkey was solid last year, going 19-for-22 on field goals and 43-for-47 on extra points, but the Browns wanted him to get stronger. Chase McLaughlin has the chance to steal the job, one that gains importance with the Browns expected to play a load of meaningful games again this year.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

I love that movie.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend

Never mentioned Hill, Harrison, Redwine, MJ Stewart, AJ Green, Robert Jackson,
Richard LeCounte III this year pick.

JJ3, Harrison, Delpit, LeCounte

Ward, Hill, Greedy, Newsome,

Redwine, MJ Stewart, AJ Green, Jackson fighting for a spot.

If the guy is going to talk about our secondary at least know the complete roster.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: bonefish

If the guy is going to talk about our secondary at least know the complete roster.

True.. But for what he did say, he's basically right.. We don't no what we'll have in Delpit or Newsome or for that matter Greedy. Neither has taken an NFL snap.... I have high hopes, but that's all they are,, high hopes..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend

What we know is where they were drafted which of course includes all the research why.

We know JJ3 will be the FS. The second safety and third will be determined but Harrison will play.

Ward is one corner. The second, third, and fourth?
Camp.

They know Newsome and Greedy.

Legend
Legend

Good news about covid.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

In reality, he really only missed Hill and Harrison.
The rest are battling for backup spots and roster spots. They *should* be too deep on the depth chart to worry about, or have any significant determiner on how this secondary is as a whole.

Beyond that, what he says is completely accurate. This defense will go the way this secondary goes. If all of the guys that are question marks turn into studs, this will be the best secondary in the league and the defense will be a nightmare for opponents. If enough of those question marks turn into Sendejo-level contributors, then we're right back where we were last season with a Swiss cheese defense.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Good early news with guys able to practice. Especially for Greedy, Delpit, and OBJ

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Pdawg

Good news about covid.

Does that include JOK?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
M
Legend
Legend
M

I know, right!? Because they are all gonna start and/or make the team! Let's have PFF break them all down in a 60 second clip. poke

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend

You missed the point.

He mentioned the question marks of Newsome, Greedy, and Delpit.

Ok there are questions there. But it is not like they are unknown to the staff.

Also, Hill is one of the highest rated slot corners.

Harrison has played for us. And he has played well.

So no I don't expect him to breakdown guys who are fighting for roster spots.

However, IMO are secondary is pretty solid without the question marks.

In addition I think you can take it to the bank that Newsome, Greedy or both will play and play well.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Originally Posted By: Pdawg

Good news about covid.

Does that include JOK?

No, it doesn't. JOK is still in protocol.

#gmstrong
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
English is a difficult language.The word "ADDS" could mean so much.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Does anyone know how to get tickets for a training camp session?

Maybe that ship has sailed awhile ago. I miss the old days where I could just decide the night before that I was going to hop in the car next morning! First come first serve.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: tastybrownies
Does anyone know how to get tickets for a training camp session?

Maybe that ship has sailed awhile ago. I miss the old days where I could just decide the night before that I was going to hop in the car next morning! First come first serve.

Yeah, we were just talking about that. The trade off being they no longer suck. So... there's that.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I guess that's an acceptable trade off. thumbsup

I wonder if the ticket thing is what other teams do and I'm just not used to it since we've been bad for so long.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Don't over-do trying to prove yourself on Day 1, kid. You've got the rest of Summer thru mid-Winter for that.

Browns is the Browns

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:
Ward is one corner.

Well, at least 2/3rds of one.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Baker was a little short with that pass.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
Baker was a little short with that pass.

I was thinking the same, but I think QB's are instructed to do that these days. You just don't see many deep passes overhthrown anymore.

I suppose the thinking is if the ball is in stride or overhtrown, you eliminate the possibility of defensive pass inteference.

You also reduce the percentage of a incomplete pass. If it's overthrown, it's overthrown. If it's underthrown, the receiver has a chance to adjust to make the catch or draw a interference call.

You don't just see this with the Browns and Baker. You see it across the league.

As much as I like to see that in stride bomb completion, it makes sense. Anything to increase the odds of advancing the football is what they are going to do.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Training Camp 2021

Link Copied to Clipboard