Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
L
I’m not sure I want to cut John Kelly. He looked good today, loved his effort on that catch-and-run play in the fourth quarter. If we do cut him he will get another NFL job real soon.

LeCounte is growing on me, he looks rangy and physical.

Stanton is an interesting player. I laughed when he caught that in route, looking like a WR.

MacLaughlin nailing the 49 yard field goal sure helped his stock, when we needed some breathing room he delivered.

Thoughts?

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It's hard to tell what the hell we have..

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Johnson and Kelly both looked really good today. I think it’s obvious at this point that the Browns are going to have to cut some quality guys that would have easily made the team 2 years ago. What a luxury to have.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I like Kelly as well. Not sure we can keep a 4th back. IMO Chubb, Hunt, and Johnson are locks. I am counting Felton more or less as Natsons slot or a receivers position.

I think LB Elijah Lee had a nice showing. Those are two guys who up to this point haven't been mentioned.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
Hope we get something out of some of these guys we have to cut. A few of them could easily start on weaker teams.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Somebody is going to make the team by the cutdown day and whoever does I hope they play great. Tough decisions for sure.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Hope we get something out of some of these guys we have to cut. A few of them could easily start on weaker teams.

I think that is the goal and at least a part why starters aren't playing. We want to showcase a few of these guys. Maybe get a 6th or 7th rounder out of a couple of them.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
L
Legend
Legend
L
we have alot more difficult decisions on offense than defense.. Defense is still difficult to watch from LB/DT, but our offense is deep just about every position. I really hope we get a brief look at starting defense atleast once during next game.. because its hard to visualize any improvement from last year based on what we've seen. I'm really excited for the clowney, hill/johnson debuts. Glass greedy hurt again..if i'm looking for a spot to free up for a fringe guy, greedy is that position. We need to start running away from LSU memorial hospital players.

I still think mack wilson is JAG and I don't think Billings is worth keeping based on just watching them last two weeks.. Billings was getting tossed around and manhandled every play. If he stays the hope has to be he's still working back into shape. Jackson/richardson in the middle with clowney/garrett would have been formidable.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
I’m not sure I want to cut John Kelly. He looked good today, loved his effort on that catch-and-run play in the fourth quarter. If we do cut him he will get another NFL job real soon.

Stanton is an interesting player. I laughed when he caught that in route, looking like a WR.

MacLaughlin nailing the 49 yard field goal sure helped his stock, when we needed some breathing room he delivered.

Thoughts?

I agree. After today I want 5 RBs and 2 FBs. It sounds like they are good enough STs players they could go that route.

WR Davis is impressing the heck out of me, but sounds like they have to TRY and sneak him on the PS.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
I didn't see Billings getting pushed around. It's hard to tell with a player like that. What we want to see isn't what he does so sometimes our view isn't the clearest.

The coaches know what they want out of him.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
I didn't see Billings getting pushed around. It's hard to tell with a player like that. What we want to see isn't what he does so sometimes our view isn't the clearest.

oh he did, alot, in fact one play #74 on giants at end of play squared him up and just tossed him over the pile like he was loading bags of mulch into the back of the truck...i was embarrased for billings

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

I will say it might be different with the starting defense around him..he might be too isolated with 2-3rd teamers. I'm willing to give him that, but for all the camp hype, I expected a monster inside and didn't see that at all.. Day has been a nice surprise though

Legend
Legend

Given that both teans were playing guys that are trying to make a roster.

Hard to determine what we have. Cut day will be hard.

McDowell showed good lateral quickness and pursuit.

Wilson made a play. DT is still a position that somebody needs to step up. Malik Jackson and Billings will probably start. Day has looked pretty good at times.

LeCounte continues to be around the ball.

Felton shows he belongs. He has that quickness and catches the ball well.

D'Earnest always performs when given the chance. And now this Kelly guy steps in a delivers.

Again we have not seen our first string.

Pretty amazing.

At this point I do not know what can be gained by playing the starters. We have 3 weeks to get everybody healthy and ready to go. Nothing else matters.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I saw that as well. As someone who studied judo for several years, tossing off balance people around doesn't impress, or should I say surprise me.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Malik McDowell flashed to me. He had a sack but he also seemed to have a few QB pressures/hits. He is #58. He played mostly at the end of the game so I would like to see him play against better competition.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We need to notice the damn starters for a few series.

Looks like that's not happening.

Even the Chefs are playing Mahomes FFS!

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
We need to notice the damn starters for a few series.

Looks like that's not happening.

Even the Chefs are playing Mahomes FFS!

And the "Chefs" lost their starting RB for 6-8 weeks...

Rest the Starters

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

Johnny Stanton: "It's always fun to have your number called. They told me this week I'd be a tight end and I said 'Alright let's do it.'"

"I'm willing to do whatever it takes to make this team."

https://twitter.com/camijustice/status/1429540577599803400

Last edited by GratefulDawg; 08/22/21 08:44 PM.

#gmSTRONG
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Guess you're smarter than the coaches. Based on last years performance and what we've seen so far...I'll trust the coaches.

We've lost a possible starting LB and GW isn't in great shape. The Ravens lost a starting LB for sure.

I'm glad we aren't exposing KEY pieces in MEANINGLESS games.

KC awaits....GO Browns!!!

Did JOK play, I hope for not long. I don't remember him being mentioned.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Legend
Legend
He played quite a bit.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J?C

Not sexy but Blake Hance was solid at Center today.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: OhioStateBrowns
Johnson and Kelly both looked really good today. I think it’s obvious at this point that the Browns are going to have to cut some quality guys that would have easily made the team 2 years ago. What a luxury to have.

I made this comment to my son today, it's weird that the Browns are one of the teams the rest of the NFL is watching closely to see who gets cut because we are so deep in a few of our position groups.

I know every team follows all the other teams but the Browns are on a lot of teams radar for post cut pick-ups.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend

We have quite a few players on the bubble that would make many teams.

McDowell and Wilson I thought were long shots. But I thought both had some good plays.

Something has to give with Takk McKinley. We were aggressive going after him. He is a former first round pick. He was expected to be the third DE and be a major player in rotation. Clowney has a long record of injury.

I hope he comes back this week.

This week against the Falcons I hope the second and third string play the first half. The second half should be all the guys who will not make the team.

We have a goal. Pre-season wins are not the goal. The goal is be ready to play the first game.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Forget McKinley. I don't think he can meander back here and take a slot at this point. I'd put him om the MUP list..mentally unable to preform.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Didn't see game, did he do anything? JOK.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
O
Legend
Legend
O
I'm doing my best to continue to give him the benefit of the doubt. It very well could be something super serious that he needs to deal with.

It's positive to know that he's in contact with KS. My initial feeling on KS not sharing anything regarding that communication was not good, but KS keeps everything very tight to the chest. If he wasn't going to divulge anything regarding Troy Hill's practice dust-up, then there's no way we're getting anything on Takk.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend

It is a weird situation.

I don't want to speculate because there has been no information. So, I don't have a clue.

When he showed up in the beginning. He was in shape and looked good at practice. He said all the right things and appeared to be all business and on a mission.

This week is important. There is three weeks to get ready. Non of the starters have played full contact. He has been in the league. So, he could get up to speed.

After this week. Then the picture changes. IMO.

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
O
Legend
Legend
O
That'll get him noticed. Between being out of football and getting a little dinged up in Training Camp, was this game his first bunch of meaningful snaps (practice or game)? I just remember hearing his story and then hearing how he got a minor injury early in camp and then nothing until this game.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

He showed power and quickness in his first step.

His pursuit was good.

I don't know if he can make the roster but I would like him to make the practice squad. He needs a lot of reps.

Has to build a defensive bag of tricks.

Billings? He may be a plug in the middle but I see little else.

The one move I had a problem with and still do is letting Sheldon leave town. There was a deal there to be made.

Hard to say if it was Sheldon's decision or us not making enough of a effort?

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
2nd String
2nd String

CLEology
@_CLEology
#Browns Offense vs. NYG:

Top 5 Grades:

RB John Kelly - 90.1
OT Alex Taylor - 86.4
FB Johnny Stanton - 84.3
OT Greg Senat - 82.1
FB Andy Janovich - 76.9

I'm just not sure why so many fans prefer Felton over Kelly or Johnson after watching the NYG game

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I'm a little worried about the middle of our DL. Billings did get pushed around again. I'd actually like to see McDowell start the beginning of next game, because he did look good when he was in there.

If teams can just go up the gut like they did with us yesterday, that will nullify some of the excitement we wanted to see with Garrett and Clowney.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: lampdogg

I certainly agree with you in principal. Just not from a practical standpoint. With the signing of Chubb to his extension and having Hunt, I think the role of bruiser/runner has already been filled. While I'm certainly impressed with Kelly from that standpoint, I think what this coaching staff may be looking for is a Swiss Army Knife type of RB at this juncture.

Demetric Felton seems to fill a void at the position we currently lack. He's that small scat back we lack on the roster. He can line up at WR or RB. He can return punts. So while I agree with you from a pure RB standpoint, I think Felton adds dimensions we need as where Kelly is more of a carbon copy of an asset we already have depth at.

Quote:

I felt going in he had the tools in his toolbox. I think he fell in the draft due to his previous injury and he is a little slight in frame. But teams weren't sure he would return at full form. At this point he's certainly looking to be a value draft pick.

Quote:

Stanton is another player that stood out to me. I think I would compare the current FB position situation the same way as I did to the Felton/Kelly situation at RB.

Stefanski brought Janovich with him from Minnesota. He was familiar with the offense and Stefanski was familiar with him. But when watching the two in preseason I think it's obvious that Stanton is more versatile. He too, as with Felton, lined up in different positions including WR, H back and FB. The more ways a player can contribute the better.

It seems to me when looking at the plays being dialed up for the FB that Stefanski has plays designed to use the FB position in different ways and there certainly seems to be a number of plays in that playbook for the FB. Stanton seems to fit that mold better than Janovich.

I'm certainly no expert on this topic but it certainly wouldn't surprise me if Stanton gets the nod on the final 53 over Janovich.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Mark it down.....Having NONE of the starters playing pre season action is GOING TO HURT US AGAINST KC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MARK MY WORDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

O
Legend
Legend
O
Mark it down.....Having NONE of the starters playing pre season action is GOING TO HURT US AGAINST KC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marked!!! smh

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend

the starters got a lot of work in the scrimmages against the NYGs in the days before the game, they are just limited contact. You act like they are standing around doing nothing.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: hitt
Didn't see game, did he do anything? JOK.

I don't know what his stats were for the game. He didn't stand out (good or bad) to me.

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: OrangeHelmet

CLEology
@_CLEology
#Browns Offense vs. NYG:

Top 5 Grades:

RB John Kelly - 90.1
OT Alex Taylor - 86.4
FB Johnny Stanton - 84.3
OT Greg Senat - 82.1
FB Andy Janovich - 76.9

I'm just not sure why so many fans prefer Felton over Kelly or Johnson after watching the NYG game

Nonsense?
Number grades debunked?

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 17 Giants 13 Couple of players I noticed today....

Link Copied to Clipboard