Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
Mark it down.....Having NONE of the starters playing pre season action is GOING TO HURT US AGAINST KC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MARK MY WORDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marked!!! smh

willynilly

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Pdawg
Originally Posted By: hitt
Didn't see game, did he do anything? JOK.

I don't know what his stats were for the game. He didn't stand out (good or bad) to me.

Here's how PFF graded out the Linebackers:

LINEBACKER

Elijah Lee: 69.1.

Malcolm Smith: 66.7.

Mack Wilson: 60.3.

Willie Harvey: 59.7.

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah: 48.6.

Montrel Meander: 34.4.

Full defensive grades in the link.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/08...eplaceable.html

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Mark it down.....Having NONE of the starters playing pre season action is GOING TO HURT US AGAINST KC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the starters got a lot of work in the scrimmages against the NYGs in the days before the game, they are just limited contact. BLAH BLAH BLAH..................

Not close to the same as real game conditions!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

I can't keep Malik McDowell and Takk McKinley straight in my head. They're both new to the team, and are both defensive linemen. They both have K's in their first names and last names that start with Mc. Both were college standouts who have had their NFL careers sidetracked by off-field issues, and are probably looking at their last chance in the league.

One of them has shown up in game, and the other hasn't even shown up at practice.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
B
Legend
Legend
B

the starters got a lot of work in the scrimmages against the NYGs in the days before the game, they are just limited contact. BLAH BLAH BLAH..................

Pre season games are hardly real game conditions.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: OrangeHelmet

CLEology
@_CLEology
#Browns Offense vs. NYG:

Top 5 Grades:

RB John Kelly - 90.1
OT Alex Taylor - 86.4
FB Johnny Stanton - 84.3
OT Greg Senat - 82.1
FB Andy Janovich - 76.9

I'm just not sure why so many fans prefer Felton over Kelly or Johnson after watching the NYG game

Because we have Chubb and Hunt, who can both do what Kelly and Johnson can do, only better. We don't have anybody else who can do what Felton can do.

It's not an indictment against Kelly or Johnson, it's just about skill set. I'm not even saying I completely agree, but that is the argument.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Well....We will see against KC won't we??????????????

I might add KC is playing their starters this pre season.

D
Legend
Legend
D

You do realize that chances are we are going to lose in KC regardless of whether our our starters play in preseason or not, right? The Chiefs are one of the top 2 teams in the entire league and we are playing in their house. It would be pure BS for you to come on here and claim it was because we didn't play our starters in preseason.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dave

You do realize that chances are we are going to lose in KC regardless of whether our our starters play in preseason or not, right? The Chiefs are one of the top 2 teams in the entire league and we are playing in their house. It would be pure BS for you to come on here and claim it was because we didn't play our starters in preseason.

You little snowflakes amuse me.

I expect us to WIN every frickin game!

I demand we win every game!

Winning is Everything!

I will not come close to adopting your Namby-pamby attitude.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:
You little snowflakes amuse me.

I expect us to WIN every frickin game!

I demand we win every game!

Winning is Everything!

I will not come close to adopting your Namby-pamby attitude.

Says the guy who "Likes" his own posts - LMAO!

T
Legend
Legend
T
John Kelly may not have gotten any carries, in the preseason, if Tre Harbison hadn't gotten a concussion in practice and then been waived.
So, I think it's a non argument that Kelly is going to somehow shoot up the charts.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
O
Legend
Legend
O

They also lost their starting RB to injury... so maybe not the best example.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O
Just remember, you only saw Kelly play because there are others ahead of him, better than him... just saying.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
T
Legend
Legend
T
That's what I said.

B
Legend
Legend
B

That we will, though I will say a loss won't necessarily indicate lack of pre-season play as a cause.

It will depend on how we lose. I am sure that makes sense.

I added to address your comment about winning. I know you aren't talking to me. I have long said that anything other than a SuperBowl win is a failed season. I don't accept losing any more than you do.

Last edited by Ballpeen; 08/24/21 11:34 AM.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P

Neither is preseason.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:
It would be pure BS for you to come on here and claim it was because we didn't play our starters in preseason.

Nope, if we lose to the Chiefs, it will be directly correlated to the fact that Mahomes threw 18 balls in front of 50K people in Arizona two weeks prior.

yebat' Putin
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The fact that SuperBrown and Throw Long are the only posters who liked SuperBrown's post made an old axiom come to mind...

"Water seeks its own level".

That is all.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Back to the topic. I had to wait a couple days to watch the game. here is what I noticed.

Blake Hance playing center, and doing a good job. His versatility will give him a chance. The rookie playing LT didn't look too bad either. I didn't see Harris play at all, is he hurt? These second and third string Olineman are better than some of the starting lines we have had in the past. Berry is building good depth at this position.

Felton has some serious quick moves, and definitely can run good routes. Kelly is playing like a man who wants to make a roster. But, IMO, Johnson is the hands down best bet for the third back, and I believe Felton will see the field a lot this season.

I believe Stanton just took Carlson's spot on the roster. Back up fullback, and TE. I don't think he is the blocker Janovich is, but he definitely has ball skills, and runs with passion.

As for the WRs, Hollywood, IMO, is the number three without question. Hodge is a good player at times, but nothing special IMO. This Davis kid looks very good, but remember, when he has been shining, is when he is playing against back ups to the back ups. That being said, I like him over Hodge, but Hodge is a good ST player. Natson showed his speed, but I think they might use Felton as the returner, his quick cuts could help him in the open field.

On to the defense. I feel bad for Greedy. People on here act as if he sucks, he don't. Some players are cursed with injuries, I think he may be one of them. Robert Jackson is not good. Newsome played like a rookie, but I can see him a day one starter, or even a rotational guy on the outside and inside. The safeties are surprising to me. LeCounte looks like he will be a very good player in time, and Moffat has impressed me a lot. What I have noticed about all of them is they all are good tacklers.

The LBs are unsettling to me. JOK has the quicks and is a smart player and fast to the ball. My only concern with him is his size. He is a great tackler also. I have no comment on Wilson, I just can't gauge his play. He has the size and speed, but I just don't notice him much. This could again be the weak spot of this defense.

on to the DLine. McDowell, I think that is how you spell it, is a mountain of a man, and has a good motor. If he keeps his head straight, I think he could develop into a great player. People are knocking Billings, but I see him as just a space eater. With Malik Jackson next to him, I think he will be alright. Jordan Elliot is a let down IMO. The DEs, I don't know about. Jackson looks good against back ups, but is behind Gustin. That's telling. I have no hope for McKinley ever contributing, something has gone awry there. Weaver, I saw nothing from him.

I like almost everybody here, need to see the starters, before I make any guess on how good the defense will be. I hope we see a little of them against ATL. But something tells me Stephanski is not giving aanybody, especially Andy Reid, anything to work with. It could work, or they could come out flat from not "ramping up" enough.

All in all, I think our offense is going to be hard to game plan for. Our defense is a giant question mark so far.

EDIT: I just saw that McKinley is back with the team. That's good news.

Last edited by Steubenvillian; 08/24/21 08:01 PM.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: guard dawg
The fact that SuperBrown and Throw Long are the only posters who liked SuperBrown's post made an old axiom come to mind...

That is all.

LOL...Like you are one to talk?...Hahahaha

Legend
Legend
Harris was injured but returned to practice today.

#gmstrong
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Thanks

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
B
Legend
Legend
B
Good point on Hance. I was going to mention that yesterday. He played some tackle for us in the playoff game and did a nice job.

If he can play center, he makes the team for sure...at least IMO..

Oh...Johnny Stanton...ok, I kind of like the guy. He has some versatility. I can see keeping him over Janovich, but dawg, keep both? I could never buy in to that idea, even if Stefanski does.

Last edited by Ballpeen; 08/25/21 07:10 AM.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
They might look at Stanton as their fourth TE option at this point

O
Legend
Legend
O

That is all.

LOL...Like you are one to talk?...Hahahaha

He rarely does? You haven't commented on KC losing their starting RB in one of their preseason games.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
From what I've read and the few videos I've seen of McDowell at MSU he played Edge, 3-Tech and !-Tech. If he can eventually become a player you can move anywhere on the DL he becomes a real problem to opposing offenses.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
They might look at Stanton as their fourth TE option at this point

I agree. To me, that tight end could also be your fullback.

How often is your 4th TE and fullback playing at the same time? That is the point I have been making about "fullbacks" all along.

If we get a bunch of TE's hurt and need to put Stanton back as a "Dedicated" fullback for those 5 plays a game, how many 4th string TE's do you think can be had as a free agent at any point in the season?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
The thing about it is that while the FB position isn't as popular as it used to be, versatility at the position is most certainly an asset.

Stanton lined up at FB. HB and TE in the Giants preseason game. What I think one must consider is that every play we ran came from Stefanski's playbook. We've seen the FB having plays that include carrying the ball, catching the ball out of the backfield and moving out to the TE position.

It's quite obvious Stefnaski values the FB position and has expanded the FB role on his playbook. Stanton certainly seems to possesses the skill set he is looking for at the position.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
A couple of players I noticed from that game against the Giants were 2 players,
who it just seemed like they could keep making plays all day long.

Demetric Felton
and Davion Davis.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
The thing about it is that while the FB position isn't as popular as it used to be, versatility at the position is most certainly an asset.

Stanton lined up at FB. HB and TE in the Giants preseason game. What I think one must consider is that every play we ran came from Stefanski's playbook. We've seen the FB having plays that include carrying the ball, catching the ball out of the backfield and moving out to the TE position.

It's quite obvious Stefnaski values the FB position and has expanded the FB role on his playbook. Stanton certainly seems to possesses the skill set he is looking for at the position.

I don't have a problem with that if the guy fills some other role like 4th tight end. Let's face it, the 4th TE is there mostly as a blocker. Sure, we will throw his way a few times to keep teams honest, but he isn't there as a receiver.

Sure, keep Johnny Stanton as your FB/TE. I also like that Stanton was the starting QB at UNLV. Make him the emergency QB. I see value in keeping a guy like that.

Keep Johnny Stanton.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:
Sure, keep Johnny Stanton as your FB/TE. I also like that Stanton was the starting QB at UNLV. Make him the emergency QB. I see value in keeping a guy like that.

Keep Johnny Stanton.

Versatility wins position battles when all is equal.

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
P
Legend
Legend
P
Actually my post was to show that I feel Stanton fits the mold of what you have been advocating from a FB and that Stefanski's playbook expands the role of the FB in a way that makes keeping a FB more valuable than what we saw last year.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Ring the bell.

Legend
Legend

This guy could develop into an amazing find by Berry.

His strength and quickness for an inside player was clear to see in the last game. He has not played in over four years.

I thought his chances to make the roster were slim.
That is no longer the case. I think he makes the team.

Legend
Legend
From what I've read and the few videos I've seen of McDowell at MSU he played Edge, 3-Tech and !-Tech. If he can eventually become a player you can move anywhere on the DL he becomes a real problem to opposing offenses.

I love picks like this.
It's next-level analytics/scouting/eval in action. Draft the talented versatile athlete, and crosstrain TH outta him. Use him in innovative packages with other interchangeable players just like him.

After so many years of Three Stooges-level admin, I still have trouble believing how smart the Browns seem to be now.

Somebody pinch me.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend

McDowell was basically a walk on.

Berry went and found him as a free agent. He had been out of football for over four years.

If he ends up making the roster and developing his true potential. It would be an incredible find.

Sheldon Richardson type of talent.

Big dude with quickness and strength.

E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...

1. How many preseason RBs have we seen over the years look amazing and then were less than average during the year. These guys are playing hard but are not great.

I don't think other teams will trade for another teams #4 RB.

2. Billings out of shape after opting out and have all that

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: bonefish

McDowell was basically a walk on. Berry went and found him as a free agent. He had been out of football for over four years.

Well!
The Browns game day radio Broadcast is done by, ? and Doug Dieken, ... Andre Knott.?

And if I've been listening to, even only the radio broadcast, they have, with comments, over time, mentioned that, McDowell, was the 2nd most talented pass rusher the same draft as Myles Garrett and very very talented and only fell because of the questions about stuff not on field. So,
I don't know when Berry found him, but the team must have had their eye on him for all four years, because, so many times I remember him being mentioned, by Andre Knott, and those mentions go back 3 years plus.
Somebody; has always liked this guy McDowell and if the team gets a chance to see what he can do I think they might give it a go.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 17 Giants 13 Couple of players I noticed today....

Link Copied to Clipboard