Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
Baker is not the problem. Next up will be the 'ole 'Baker can't lead a comeback' BS (not saying from you)...he did it TWICE yesterday in answer to the Steelers' last TD...TWICE!

Wait. I must have bumped my head. How many times did Baker lead scoring drives that brought the Browns from behind to ahead during the 4th quarter again yesterday???

Gaining some yards that don't result in points is neither an "answer" nor a "comeback".

That's the equivalent of a point guard that can dribble really fancy but can't actually shoot or pass. Nobody cares.

Last edited by GraffZ06; 11/01/21 06:19 PM.

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
1 member likes this: Steubenvillian
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
And I wonder why Ski is playing so reserved, with the short passes, other teams are just stacking the box to kill us. Last year Baker kept them honest.

Last year Baker didn't have a sling on his arm either.

And he didn't have a sling on for the first three or four games this year either, but the pass game has been focusing on the ten-to-fifteen-yard range IMHO. How many deep shots this year compared to last year? That stat will probably give you some answers.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
And I wonder why Ski is playing so reserved, with the short passes, other teams are just stacking the box to kill us. Last year Baker kept them honest.

Last year Baker didn't have a sling on his arm either.

And he didn't have a sling on for the first three or four games this year either, but the pass game has been focusing on the ten-to-fifteen-yard range IMHO. How many deep shots this year compared to last year? That stat will probably give you some answers.

Go look at the videos Milk Man just posted in the post game thread. The throws downfield are there.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
You know.. I have always wondered why every other team can scheme their receiver open an we cant. All this out of sync stuff is B.S. Either Baker sees him or he does not. And more time than not, this year, Baker aint seeing much. Unless off of the playa-action pass where he has only a few options.. Baker aint getting it done!! Stefanski gets some of the blame also because since he calls the plays and designs the plays, he gets some of the blame.

But when I saw this, its apparent, OBJ aint the total problem:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVv8rG5FMNv/?utm_medium=share_sheet

I hope everyone can see this because it shows that OBJ is getting open and Baker is not seeing him!!!... There are plays that are blitzes and OBJ runs the correct hot route, Baker holding on to the ball. Yes, the last game, there were alot of drops, those cost the Browns in the end. But the other games, Baker does not see OBJ open. Think about it. KC, you know they are throwing to Hill or Kelce, and they still get them the ball!!!.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I saw, and you have to have time to throw? All I know is it's not Baker.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Look folks, people always ask, why was Baker so good last year..etc. Baker's best throws come off of Play-action. In Play action, you only have 3 options.. short, medium and the long route... When Baker has to go 4 or 5 wide, he does not excel. I will not blame yesterday's loss on Baker. But this OBJ mis-connection is on Stefanski and Baker.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Baker and Ski dropping those passes? I won't put 100% on any of the three, but people saying what you are saying need to see OBJ for what he is. He's not who he was as a rookie. I was as excited as anyone when we got OBJ, but we're 2.5 seasons in with him now and he hasn't shown me jack squat since he's been here, other than circus catches in practice. Some of the talking heads are saying he's afraid to take a big hit. There might be something to that, but either way there is still little to no production 2.5 seasons in. But both Baker and Ski (at times) have shown they can be the guy in that same stretch.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 11/01/21 11:54 PM.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Circus catches in practice and pregame. Otherwise? Eh

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by DogNDC
Look folks, people always ask, why was Baker so good last year..etc. Baker's best throws come off of Play-action. In Play action, you only have 3 options.. short, medium and the long route... When Baker has to go 4 or 5 wide, he does not excel. I will not blame yesterday's loss on Baker. But this OBJ mis-connection is on Stefanski and Baker.

I agree. It has to be more than one reason. There seems to be disconnect in the entire passing game.

I am sure OBJ does get open. Maybe not when Baker looks at him? Maybe that is scheme in that OBJ's routes take longer to develop, maybe just bad luck. If OBJ doesn't look open when baker looks his way, if he goes off the look to elsewhere, he probably isn't going back to OBJ. Maybe OBJ needs to be the 2nd look from baker? I don't know.

One thing I do see from Baker that I don't like is he double clutches the ball a lot, but sticks with the throw. The hesitation is a cause for concern IMO.

One thing in the scheme I don't like is that to me, Baker isn't a classic pocket passer. We need to bring in more designed rolling pockets for the guy. He does his best on the move. I think he sees things better rolling one way or the other, being able to scan more or less directly ahead, then back towards the middle as back side receivers start moving in his direction.

I know that bunches the field and ideally you don't want to do that, but if that is where your QB is best, then you probably need to do that or find a new QB to fit what the coach likes. JMO

Good to see you DinDC

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by GraffZ06
Baker is not the problem. Next up will be the 'ole 'Baker can't lead a comeback' BS (not saying from you)...he did it TWICE yesterday in answer to the Steelers' last TD...TWICE!

Wait. I must have bumped my head. How many times did Baker lead scoring drives that brought the Browns from behind to ahead during the 4th quarter again yesterday???

Gaining some yards that don't result in points is neither an "answer" nor a "comeback".

That's the equivalent of a point guard that can dribble really fancy but can't actually shoot or pass. Nobody cares.

He can only lead the comeback (which he did twice in the 4th Q)...he can't throw it AND catch it. In any scoring drive, someone in addition to the QB HAS to make a play. He had the opposite of that.

Gaining some yards? Seriously. After the final Pitt TD, he "gained some yards" on two separate drives where we had the momentum and someone else made a mistake to stop the comeback.

If the point guard makes passes to the big guy under the basket and the big guy keeps fumbling the ball out of bounds, does that mean the point guard didn't do his part?

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I have zero inside info...but I don't think Baker trusts OBJ to be where he's supposed to be and when he's supposed to be there. JMO. I think the double-clutching could easily be as much on Baker as it could be on the route runner. And no...I do not think Baker is infallible...but he showed that he can lead a late comeback against an AFC opponent though.

We have the exact same issue with our pass-catching players as we did last year...we just aren't over-coming the issue this year. Fill-in-the-sentence for whatever reason I/you/they think applies.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Your right that Bake did his part and others let him down … the fumble, the drops and Ski not taking the FG on 4th and 12 … 100% correct my friend ….

Your wrong that he led a 4th quarter comeback … we never took the lead bro regardless of whose fault it was …

He almost led a Q4 comeback but did’t have the chance to do the important part through no fault of his own … I’d agree with that …. *L*

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by GraffZ06

He can only lead the comeback (which he did twice in the 4th Q)...he can't throw it AND catch it. In any scoring drive, someone in addition to the QB HAS to make a play. He had the opposite of that.

Gaining some yards? Seriously. After the final Pitt TD, he "gained some yards" on two separate drives where we had the momentum and someone else made a mistake to stop the comeback.

If the point guard makes passes to the big guy under the basket and the big guy keeps fumbling the ball out of bounds, does that mean the point guard didn't do his part?

I don't think you understand what the word "comeback" means. Literally to come from behind and take a lead, usually at or near the end of the game, resulting in your team winning a game they were previously losing. No, a single player can't always do it alone. But in a league where all the rules favor offenses and passing and are specifically designed to facilitate close endings, the elite franchise QBs lead real "comebacks" fairly regularly, regardless of the team around them.

Yes someone else made a big mistake on two of those drives but there were other plays and other opportunities as well. It didn't happen. They didn't score, thus NO COMEBACK occurred. You don't just get to claim it out of thin air for funsies just because you like the guy. It either happened or didn't.

Sadly with Baker it doesn't happen a lot for a guy trying to get paid to be the guy who can do just that on a regular basis. You make your money and win your games in the 4th quarter.

And no, to your basketball analogy it doesn't mean the PG didn't necessarily do his part (though again there are other opportunities - maybe pass to someone else - maybe take the shot yourself etc) but you also don't get to give anyone credit for a comeback that didn't happen.

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
1 member likes this: jfanent
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

because this is exactly what we need right now.......

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
And on the flip side, Emily Mayfield retweeted the Ed Greenberger video clips.

Things are reaching the all too familiar tipping point before the season spirals out of control. Ah, back to the good ol' days!

C
Legend
Legend
C
Unfortunately OBJ is due around $8 million the rest of this season. No one is trading for that contract with that production.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Lol... social media slap fight between Mrs. Mayfield and old-man Beckham.

It would appear, by all evidence available, that we've been in an alternate dimension since the beginning of last season, and are just now stepping out of it.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
C
Legend
Legend
C
Emily Mayfield needs to have guided access put on her phone.

2 members like this: jfanent, oobernoober
M
Legend
Legend
M
***Begins looking at 2022 mock drafts***

Tackles are tackles.
2 members like this: Milk Man, oobernoober
O
Legend
Legend
O
To be fair... isn't social media her "thing"? Limiting her voice online is kinda akin to taking a typewriter/keyboard away from a journalist.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by oobernoober
To be fair... isn't social media her "thing"? Limiting her voice online is kinda akin to taking a typewriter/keyboard away from a journalist.

I’m okay with her posting makeup tutorials on Instagram.

Side note: I love the idea of a journalist using a typewriter in 2021.

C
Legend
Legend
C

O
Legend
Legend
O
At the end of the day, I feel similar about her football-related takes on the internet as you do. If OBJ's dad can jump on a video that's thrown out there, I don't see why she can't throw a like on something that backs up her dude... is all I'm saying.

-PrplPplEater
C
Legend
Legend
C
At the end of the day, I feel similar about her football-related takes on the internet as you do. If OBJ's dad can jump on a video that's thrown out there, I don't see why she can't throw a like on something that backs up her dude... is all I'm saying.

OBJ’s dad can zip it too.

1 member likes this: oobernoober
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

#FreeRashardHiggins
#FreeDavidNjoku

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: Milk Man
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by cfrs15
Unfortunately OBJ is due around $8 million the rest of this season. No one is trading for that contract with that production.

Browns should agree to eat a good portion of the remainder owed this season.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by Milk Man

I agree. Do what the Broncos did with the Rams (and what baseball teams do all the time). Eat money to get more compensation. OBJ is out the door when the season ends and it's pretty clear that him being on the team isn't working. Get value for him now.

The question that remains, does anybody want him?

M
Legend
Legend
M
Emily Mayfield needs to have guided access put on her phone.

Her and Brittany Matthews causing some problems for their teams (Patrick Mahomes' mom and brother, too)!

M
Legend
Legend
M

I agree. Do what the Broncos did with the Rams (and what baseball teams do all the time). Eat money to get more compensation. OBJ is out the door when the season ends and it's pretty clear that him being on the team isn't working. Get value for him now.

Free to good home.

1 member likes this: jfanent
M
Legend
Legend
M

And like the OG football deal in this regard......The Osweiler trade.

Tackles are tackles.
O
Legend
Legend
O
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/CLE/cleveland-browns/stats/regular/

Per link, DPJ has just under half the targets that OBJ does (34 vs 15) and I would imagine the difference is even more last season). I would love to dig more into the 150 vs 78 rating between OBJ and DPJ, but the targets question was the first thing I wondered about. OBJ has been the most targeted receiver on the Browns.

-PrplPplEater
C
Legend
Legend
C

NOT NOW LEBRON!

1 member likes this: oobernoober
M
Legend
Legend
M

NOT NOW LEBRON!

Um..."#FreeOBJ" ?!?

Clearly, he has an account on Dawgtalkers at least as far back to when Todd Monken was here.

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: FATE
M
Legend
Legend
M
Speak it into existence, Bron Bron!

M
Legend
Legend
M
Dame Time weighing in!

At least this won't be a major distraction for the rest of the season if Odell isn't moved today.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

I agree. It has to be more than one reason. There seems to be disconnect in the entire passing game.

I am sure OBJ does get open. Maybe not when Baker looks at him? Maybe that is scheme in that OBJ's routes take longer to develop, maybe just bad luck. If OBJ doesn't look open when baker looks his way, if he goes off the look to elsewhere, he probably isn't going back to OBJ. Maybe OBJ needs to be the 2nd look from baker? I don't know.

One thing I do see from Baker that I don't like is he double clutches the ball a lot, but sticks with the throw. The hesitation is a cause for concern IMO.

One thing in the scheme I don't like is that to me, Baker isn't a classic pocket passer. We need to bring in more designed rolling pockets for the guy. He does his best on the move. I think he sees things better rolling one way or the other, being able to scan more or less directly ahead, then back towards the middle as back side receivers start moving in his direction.

I know that bunches the field and ideally you don't want to do that, but if that is where your QB is best, then you probably need to do that or find a new QB to fit what the coach likes. JMO

Good to see you DinDC

Diam,
The first part of the misconnect is scheme. By putting OB wide, you are allowing the corner and the safety to shade over to OBJ. If you MOVE him in motion the D has to figure who has him in man or just go stay in a zone. BUt that safety help will be hard. If you put OBJ in a WRs trips bunch, atleast the D will probably have stay zone and again hard to figure where OBJ is going. Again, every other team will scheme their WRs to get the ball.. Stefanski = NOPE.

The second part is Baker. Baker just is not scanning the whole field. Baker excels at the play-action game.. When we are 4 or 5 wide.. how good is Baker then?? And Again, I am not blaming the Pitt game on him because the drops were just killers. But OBJ with 2 targets.. and the last one was late and dangerous at best.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

I dont blame either of them for their actions. But its the media's fault for giving them attention. I dont think that any family member of a player should get any extra attention when their not playing football. Also, this game was not on Baker, so she can post today. What about the other games? She was very quiet!!!

C
Legend
Legend
C

It's for the best.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

It's for the best.

How did Clarence Hill get that summary from that Tweet???

2 members like this: PitDAWG, FATE
C
Legend
Legend
C

It's for the best.

How did Clarence Hill get that summary from that Tweet???

I felt he was adding to the Tweet.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum The OBJ-Baker Connection: Linchpin to the season?

Link Copied to Clipboard