No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
Over/under:

- Fields 60 rushing yards
- Fields .5 rushing TDs
- Fields turnovers
- 20.5 Bears points

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
L
Legend
Legend
L
With how our defense played against Mills, They'll probably start on Fields canton bust after our game. The worst thing we go do is let him escape pocket. With how far our De's get upfield and our DT/LB play, he's going to have lanes.. I almost would keep a spy on him and make him throw. Alot of presnap motion on defense to confuse him. Knowing woods it'll be the same set and look the whole game though.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
T
Legend
Legend
T
Same story 35 games running.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
Fresh meat.

I really like justin... but had the exact same thought... like the kid, but he could be in for a rough day.... LET'S GO

<><

#gmstrong
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
With how our defense played against Mills, They'll probably start on Fields canton bust after our game. The worst thing we go do is let him escape pocket. With how far our De's get upfield and our DT/LB play, he's going to have lanes.. I almost would keep a spy on him and make him throw. Alot of presnap motion on defense to confuse him. Knowing woods it'll be the same set and look the whole game though.

They need to just let Owusu-Koramoah or Delpit spy him most of the game. Or switch it up and let Harrison do it as well to confuse him more, but I honestly believe the only way they beat us is to have him run for 75+ yards and a bunch of first downs. Their o-line is bad.

Legend
Legend
I was at the Aurora/bainbridge Jersey Mikes yesterday to get a sandwich.. The manager over there is a great guy and also a big fan of the Bears..

He mentioned that Fields was starting and I said wait until me meets Garrett and Clowney.. He laughed and said they'll never catch him.. I said, that's why we have JOK..... He stopped laughing...LOL

Anyway, this could be fun to watch.. I wish the kid well, I really do, but not against the Browns...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
M
Legend
Legend
M
Can anyone name a QB that came to our house and we owned them? Anyone name a rookie QB or first time starter that was thrust into action and we owned them and made their life miserable? .... Now - can anyone think of QB's that we should have owned but we made them look like world beaters? Yes - thought so.

Last question - has anyone seen anything of Woods D that makes them think we will turn things around? ... I know I have not.

I expect to win - but not because of Fields or our D.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
I remember when the Lions dude threw like 7 INTs and we still barely won the game

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I remember when the Lions dude threw like 7 INTs and we still barely won the game
Found it … Ty Detmer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmApeveEHhE

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: mgh888
Can anyone name a QB that came to our house and we owned them? Anyone name a rookie QB or first time starter that was thrust into action and we owned them and made their life miserable? .... Now - can anyone think of QB's that we should have owned but we made them look like world beaters? Yes - thought so.

Last question - has anyone seen anything of Woods D that makes them think we will turn things around? ... I know I have not.

Our run defense is near the top of the league, so yeah there are positives that will limit the Bears to throwing the ball especially if we get a lead, when we get them to one dimensional and get in our dime look and tighten a few things up and turn loose these safeties we have I believe we can give any QB a long afternoon.

So yeah granted the Browns are a work in progress, but you haven't got to look to hard to find positives and understand that once we do get things rolling and we will this defense has a high ceiling, they just need time.

It's truly better then I or you or anyone for that matter believes, it's going to happen and man oh man will it ever be fun to watch. I can't bring myself to say the P word I have heard it enough too, but in this instance we have very little choice and it will for sure pay off, just you watch.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
P
Legend
Legend
P
We've played two games and the sky is falling. Haven't you been paying attention? wink

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
We've played 2 games and the defense thus far is not as good as the defense last year through 2 games was.

The sky isn't falling but there should be concern. One does not wait until the tire is completely flat before fixing it.

Your snark with people who are concerned does not a valid argument make.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: FrankZ
We've played 2 games and the defense thus far is not as good as the defense last year through 2 games was.

How did you come to this conclusion?

Quote:

The points I make however do.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
IIRC, we started out last year pretty hot with a bunch of turnovers and then kinda fell off a cliff. Playing the likes of Cinci and WFT after we got out of the first Balt game probably didn't hurt.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: FrankZ

The sky isn't falling but there should be concern. One does not wait until the tire is completely flat before fixing it.

It depends on how you measure it.

vs. the same point last year; after 2 games:

Run Defense, Yds: 2021 is better.
Pass Defense, Yds: 2021 is better.
Points Per Game : 2021 is MUCH better.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

Elvis Grbac?

That's the last one who comes to mind for me, sadly.

I think we might have shut out the Titans in '05 or something like that, too.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I remember us beating Charlie Whitehurst once lol

Legend
Legend
Watching a clip today where Woods said they were putting players into a position to win. Is that how we explain 15 yard cushions, deep safeties, and receivers really open as we have seen? Why no blitz pressure to speak of? Feel we have given up ground too generously and too much. Press & pressure. Flash Fields.

Unleash MORE Elves! brownie thumbsup

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Oh, that's right! I remember it being a close game, though, for some reason.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
We've played two games and the sky is falling. Haven't you been paying attention? wink

Expecting a win is considered the sky is falling??

Your post is all snark and little point. ** Least ways that's the way it read to me.

There is a legitimate concern with how soft the D has been. I do expect it to be a W and I don't expect it to be because of Justin Fields. I think that - oblivious to how we've played - expecting us to feast on fields has a lot less reality than what I wrote.

Last edited by mgh888; 09/23/21 04:22 PM.

Legend
Legend
The point spread dropped from Browns -9 to Browns -7 as soon as Fields was announced. Vegas has more faith in Fields than in Dalton.

yebat' Putin
D
Legend
Legend
D
I watched Fields at OSU, and I think he'll be a good QB, but I don't see Lamar Jackson type speed and wiggle. Fields is fast, and probably a better passer than Jackson, but he takes some hard shots when he runs that Lamar avoids. IMO, his future is more as a traditional NFL pocket QB who can run, but probably won't anywhere near as much as Lamar Jackson.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
And yet the eye test seems like we should have some concern.

Last year's defense was a lot slower and had less talent, and got smoked the first two games.

This year they have a lot more talent, had training camp and are faster and and got smoked as well. They make me nervous when they are on the field.

Honestly I am not sure we win the second game if Tyrod doesn't go out.

I'm not saying we need to do anything drastic, but we don't want to wait 6 games before correction, the season could be done in 6 games if we do.

Legend
Legend
I thought we could squeeze out a win if Tyrod played, but it didnt look pretty for a while

Legend
Legend
I think part of it is that with what we added this offseason, expectations are simply through the roof. Nobody wants to wait for the incremental improvements, we all feel we should see something dramatically different.

I agree on Tyrod, but a busted Tyrod is almost a given, so there's that, lol

In the end, I'm not too far from where you are in terms of what we feel we should have seen by now. We expected at least SOME real fireworks from the defensive side, and all we've gotten are fizzling sparklers and those crappy smoke snakes, lol

The things we SHOULD see - ballhawking takeaways instead of routine completions, and sacks from that DLine, just really haven't happened. In the first game, it was easily dismissible as we just played Mahommes. The dude can simply make that happen. That second game, though... there's a need for patience, but there's also some cause for concern. Yes, their OLine is big and powerful, but with a rookie QB in there, we should have seen more, and we should NOT have seen him have such an easy time of things - from the aspect of the DLine *AND* the DBs.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Sometimes I feel like the plan is for the DLine to run into someone and stomp their feet vigorously while the back end sets themselves up to watch the receiver catch the ball.

Thus far it feels like the D has no imagination. The Delpit blitzes were a nice change of pace. Maybe we will be ok, but this needs to have an eye kept on it as once it really goes south it will be too late to correct.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
My take on Woods, is that if he is facing a mobile QB, he won't blitz. I think he tells the DEs to stay wide so they can't flush out and throw on the run, and expects the Dline to collapse the middle. Good theory, but as we have seen, lanes are opening for the QB to step up and running lanes are present.

I got a feeling he will use this concept again facing Fields. Which IMO, will be a mistake. I think he should blitz the crap out of him and force quick thinking. I'm sure Fields will make a couple runs, but forcing him into quick decisions should be effective. He may be good, but he is a rookie.

I don't think we will lose, and I expect the defense to be better, but relying on just a four man rush, IMO, will be a mistake.

The other key is the Bears Oline. They are not that good.
I say bring pressure from the get go, and don't let up until the game is over.

Last edited by Steubenvillian; 09/23/21 08:42 PM.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Fields is going to be a great qb in the NFL. I think

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hopefully not this Sunday.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
I think part of it is that with what we added this offseason, expectations are simply through the roof. Nobody wants to wait for the incremental improvements, we all feel we should see something dramatically different.

I agree on Tyrod, but a busted Tyrod is almost a given, so there's that, lol

In the end, I'm not too far from where you are in terms of what we feel we should have seen by now. We expected at least SOME real fireworks from the defensive side, and all we've gotten are fizzling sparklers and those crappy smoke snakes, lol

The things we SHOULD see - ballhawking takeaways instead of routine completions, and sacks from that DLine, just really haven't happened. In the first game, it was easily dismissible as we just played Mahommes. The dude can simply make that happen. That second game, though... there's a need for patience, but there's also some cause for concern. Yes, their OLine is big and powerful, but with a rookie QB in there, we should have seen more, and we should NOT have seen him have such an easy time of things - from the aspect of the DLine *AND* the DBs.

You've nailed how I feel exactly. There is concern. Not because we aren't going to win games, but because of the lack of progress and any flashes of 'something' that will develop. Concern because expectations HAVE risen. We went to the playoffs last year with the same offense, and a theoretically worse D. On the D we've added 1st and 2nd round picks and upgraded the Safety and DL .... Hoping/expecting that translates to significantly more than what we witnessed last year on D.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Also how I feel. It's definitely a composite of disparate feelings (patience combined with "why are we seeing this/not seeing that").

It's a thin line to walk when in an argument on here.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
You must have missed it again. We won the game by 10 points since that seemed to be the point you were trying to make.

Yes, that was snark.

In the KC game our O handed Mahomes the ball twice and the ST's handed him the ball once. That's THREE TIMES we handed him the ball and he's not Andy dalton, it's Patrick Mahomes.

So should fans be concerned? Sure. Should they try laying this all at the feet of the defense? Not even close.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I actually don't mind Woods' defensive scheme against the Chiefs. With Mahomes, dialing up pressure is historically a bad to very bad strategy. The Patriots and the Buccaneers showed that it's all about maintaining integrity and doing your best with your front four and trying to conceal your coverage on the back end (I think Belichick ran a "Cover 5" or something weird like that).

I was concerned that it seemed like we kept the same game plan in the Texans game, especially after Mills came in. You have to try and adjust your scheme to both the opponents' weaknesses and also your strengths. I'm not closing the book on that and calling for Woods' head, but it's definitely something I'm going to pay attention to as the season progresses.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
I've always been one that thinks a single approach on either D or O is shortsighted. Stefanski seems to adjust the O to take advantage of our opponents weaknesses which will vary from game to game.

I don't see that so much with Woods. But I also look at the circumstances involved here. We have so many new moving parts on the D I think it would be much harder to employ such a strategy at this point.

I liken it to the O of last year. The first half of the season didn't see many adjustments on O. In the second half of the season as the O came together we saw more adjustments based on the opponents. The old analogy of "You have to learn to crawl before you can walk" comes to mind.

I think we are actually very much on the same page here. At this stage I don't find it too concerning. Had we not have handed the ball to Mahomes three times with turnovers I firmly believe we would have beaten KC. Those turnovers were beyond the control of our D. I don't think there are any teams in the NFL that can have three turnovers against the Chiefs in the fourth quarter and walk away with the victory.

While this D hasn't been pretty, we won against the Texans by ten points. So it's not as if this D isn't doing enough to win because they are. It just hasn't been pretty.

But much like yourself I expect more from them as time goes by. I expect to see progress and more variations depending on opponents and situations.

I'm certainly not going to rush to judgement based on the first two games with so many new moving parts.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
I know losing starters is always going to hurt, but now I'm wondering how the loss of Walker (the original on-field headset-wearer) might be factoring in to any scheme or responsibility struggles we had week 2.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
I know losing starters is always going to hurt, but now I'm wondering how the loss of Walker (the original on-field headset-wearer) might be factoring in to any scheme or responsibility struggles we had week 2.

Johnson III was the "headset" wearer for the Rams so there is at least one person who's experienced.. Oh and weren't the the #1 D last year?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dave
I watched Fields at OSU, and I think he'll be a good QB, but I don't see Lamar Jackson type speed and wiggle. Fields is fast, and probably a better passer than Jackson, but he takes some hard shots when he runs that Lamar avoids. IMO, his future is more as a traditional NFL pocket QB who can run, but probably won't anywhere near as much as Lamar Jackson.

I agree with you. Fields is much more in the Russell Wilson mold than the Lamar Jackson mold. Now I don't know if his ceiling is as high as Wilson but that's the guy he should be trying to emulate.

yebat' Putin
1st String
1st String
Let's hope that Woods is in the mood to show different looks and blitz occasionally. I really like Fields but I want us to make a rookie qb look like a rookie qb for once. Bring pressure, rattle him. Does Woods have the guts? We have too many weapons to not confuse him. Please take advantage! I'm gonna be pissed if i see the same stuff from last Sunday.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: 85_Browns_Queen
Does Woods have the guts?

rofl

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I've always been one that thinks a single approach on either D or O is shortsighted. Stefanski seems to adjust the O to take advantage of our opponents weaknesses which will vary from game to game.

I don't see that so much with Woods. But I also look at the circumstances involved here. We have so many new moving parts on the D I think it would be much harder to employ such a strategy at this point.

I liken it to the O of last year. The first half of the season didn't see many adjustments on O. In the second half of the season as the O came together we saw more adjustments based on the opponents. The old analogy of "You have to learn to crawl before you can walk" comes to mind.

I think we are actually very much on the same page here. At this stage I don't find it too concerning. Had we not have handed the ball to Mahomes three times with turnovers I firmly believe we would have beaten KC. Those turnovers were beyond the control of our D. I don't think there are any teams in the NFL that can have three turnovers against the Chiefs in the fourth quarter and walk away with the victory.

While this D hasn't been pretty, we won against the Texans by ten points. So it's not as if this D isn't doing enough to win because they are. It just hasn't been pretty.

But much like yourself I expect more from them as time goes by. I expect to see progress and more variations depending on opponents and situations.

I'm certainly not going to rush to judgement based on the first two games with so many new moving parts.

Well said and it should be repeated. You start somewhere and you hopefully end somewhere else and the offense from a season ago that oddly went thru an off season transformation sorta like the defense did this year and by mid season they sat down and said we do this well we don't do this well, and if we tweak this and do that it will be better, and its been day and night ever sense so yeah crawl before you walk, walk before you run and hey this sorta proves it's possible and hey even likely.

No matter how reasoned your post though you're soft. hahaha

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Can anyone name a QB that came to our house and we owned them? Anyone name a rookie QB or first time starter that was thrust into action and we owned them and made their life miserable? ...

Are you kidding!! Browns owned this guy so bad! They started the end of his career!
Can you guess.
Click to reveal..
Akili (freakin) Smith! 1999 bengal rofl sure it was a while ago but it is possible.

Justin Fields to start?
People could have seen this coming from the day he was drafted and the schedule was Browns in game #3.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I’m concerned about the interior line of our defense, JF can tuck that and run

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
M
Legend
Legend
M

Much better post, no snark, lots of points! LOL

T
Legend
Legend
T
Was he submitting for 888's approval? rolleyes

Justin Fields to start?
If Fields went 6-13 passing against the Bengals, then the Browns, need to also force a lot of incompletions!

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Pay attention.

Or don't. I don't mind. As someone posted - you write schtick for shock value and not a lot else.... so ...

D
Legend
Legend
D
I think you just disrespected shtick.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200109230cle.htm
Those Were the days!

(Who was Coach then Pat Schurmur? ) ...
Look for yourself Throw Long!, Duh! it was 2000 and 1? 2001! Oh Butch Davis, the glory days. me- "Who would have thought we'd be looking back to the glory days of Butch Davis" Still arguably the best Browns coach since 1999.

The day Ty Detemer threw 7 interceptions for the Lions, 1 short of the NFL record.
Dawgs4life it was never closer than 7 points, but!!! there was no scoring in the final 11 minutes with that 10 point lead, so... Looking back, What a Wonderful Flubbed Game!
I'll Propose, the NFL! Could have looked at this game before deciding on later rule changes involving helping offenses with 15 yard, +automatic first down penalties for brushing a quarterback, in order! to give terrible offenses an ability to keep eyes glued to T.V.s.

A deep dive into this game! Is a wonderful, look into a time capsule of what has far too fast become history.
September 23, 2001. Only 2nd, or first game after the September 11th 9/11 attacks canceled the previous weeks football games to be played at the end of the schedule.
As 3 days of No fly zone for the entire continental US. existed.
( For those 3 days! I could see the sky as my ancestors had for 4000 years, but I hadn't my whole life.) Not a single white line cloud streak chem trail off a planes exhaust. ..
back to the game!

24 accumulated penalties, 15 on Detroit for 115 yards.

Anthony Henry had 3 ints! Tim Couch threw 3 touchdowns! One to Shaun O'Hara- (Ya that Shaun O'Hara.) was he an OL, or a DL, I think a center, maybe a TE?
The Lions!! had a fumble, but they didn't lose possession.
My Guy!! Daylon McCutcheon, had a forced fumble, on 6 solo tackles on the day.

( DTMB, members like ScottPlayersFaceMask: and KosarSideArmor: DiamDawg: around to read in that timeframe)
73,168 announce attendance! Lions favored by 1.5 in Cleveland frown. the Over/Under 33.0 (team used to score less, and more rofl to the 3rd down percentage)
The 3rd down percentage of that days game is hilarious!
Scoring per quarter,
Lions, 0,-0,-7,-7, final 14
Browns 7,-7,-10,-0 final 24 Yeah! Browns Won 24-14.

Scoring by quarter. 1st 8:55 Kevin Johnson 4 yd touchdown catch, from Tim Couch, Phil Dawson kick 7-0
2nd 13:21 Shaun O'Hara 2 yard catch from Couch! 14-0 Browns Halftime.....
3rd. 11:36 Phil Dawson 33yd kick good. 17-0 Browns
3rd. 7:26 Lions, Terry Fair, Interception Return Pick-6 26 yard return for the TD, Jason Hanson kick 7-17 Browns lead.
still 3rd..
Quincy FREAKING MORGAN!! 34 yard! pass, from Tim Freakin Couch! 24-7 good guys! 'talkin about!

4th. 11:25 Lions, Johnnie Morton 14 yard td pass from Ty Detmer, Hanson kick 14-24. Browns still lead.

Defense, interceptions:
Cleveland, Anthony Henry!!!! 3 interceptions for 58 yards no tds.
Jamir Miller! Jamir Miller led the Browns with 8 total tackles on the day, 4 combined, and 4 solo. and had
ONE Interception! for 0 yards
Corey Fuller 1 interception. 1 yard
Percy Ellsworth 1 interception, 19 yards!
Earl Little 1 interception 0 yards!

Tim Couch was sacked 3 times, 2 by Porcher, 1 by Tracy Scruggs
Shaun Rogers, (later Brown), led Detroit with 10 tackles 0 sacks.
Couch was intercepted twice. 1- the 26 yard pick 6 by Terry Fair
and 1 by Robert Bailey for 0 yards.

Browns penalized 9 times for 50 yards, Detroit penalized 15 times for 115 yards!

rofl Go Defense! the games, 3rd! Down! Coversions!
Detroit- 1 for 12, on third down
Cleveland- 2 for 11 on third down. Ooh Rah! Defense! Crunch Bunch!
Detroit was 1 for 1 on 4th down, Cleveland 0 tries on 4th down.
September 23 2001.
The day the Lions threw 7 interceptions against the Browns and the Browns still, Pulled Victory! ...

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Much better post, no snark, lots of points! LOL

Damn it! I hate it when I forget to throw some snark in there!

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
You got me for half a tick!!

M
Legend
Legend
M
You can make up for it next time.

B
Legend
Legend
B
This could be a trap game. I can see us blowing this one if we aren't careful.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Thanks for the memory lol. I remember watching the game with my grandpa

Legend
Legend

Good points and I agree with both posts.

It most likely is the case with all teams.

It is not uncommon to stagger a bit at the beginning especially when there are many new pieces.

Harrison and Delpit are guys with like type skills. Both are long with speed. Both can drop down and tackle or drop back and cover. JJ3 is the classic FS.

JOK at the second level is another moving part. Coordination between the two groups is important.

The pass rush is what I have been surprised at. I know what Myles stated and he is right. If he always getting extra attention. Someone else needs to get there.

So far it has been noticeable that the offenses we have played have emphasized getting the ball out quickly.

Our defense is based upon pressure from the front four. Then having good coverage.

It maybe time to bring some blitzing from various positions. We can shoot JOK from the linebackers.
Both Harrison and Delpit have good rush moves.

So each game hopefully we will begin to see more options employed by Woods.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Go back and watch the game the Texans were splitting their backs one to Tyrod's left and one to his right.

Those backs were used as blockers for Garret and Clowney and the center and right guard handled McDowell. I have watched football for many years I have never seen a team double 3 guys along the line. It caught the Browns and Woods off guard, it did me too honestly. 6 guys for 3 guys.

The backs were more then chipping too. I expect Woods was reluctant to change up things mid game we were winning we hadn't practiced a response and change comes with risk so he held tight. I expect he has a designed response at this point. The end of the game with Delpit may be a part of that but if we are going to be faced with doubles across the front we should be able to cook up a response that won't have happy endings for whomever gives it a go of their own.

Going back to game one KC didn't do it, and they spent a good part of the afternoon picking Mahommes up off the ground. This is going to be a season where teams are going to do odd things to try to counter our front, we have to get the little tweaks in place that watch these things explode in their faces when this is done.

But fans calling for the DC to be canned are laughable. We are 2 games into a nearly complete overhaul after we overhauled the O it was mid season before that really took off, and now after 2 games into a similar overhaul of the defense we have dumb fans calling for the DC's head. I think no make that I know this has to be as dumb a response as you will ever see especially after what we saw unfold when similar changes were made to the offense that offense is near unstoppable now and yes it took time. I wonder what would allow them to believe that somehow it would be less painful on the defensive side of the ball? Dumb, dumb, dumb.

I believe in the people, players, and team we have if you don't you never will. This team will come together and they will be everything you could ask for but its not microwave football so stop it.

We have many options as you have pointed out but everything has to blend together and grow, but what you can't do is panic especially when your winning the game. There are 2 things in the NFL W's and L's and when you have #1 in hand you don't introduce #2 by taking risks mid game so you can pile up style points.

Sorry Bone not upset with you but this fan base needs a good bit of good old common sense.....

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Legend
Legend

I get it.

You build upon each game. People are always wanting perfection.

Play a team like the Texans it is not good enough to win. You have to win by 20 etc.

There are really good good players throughout the league. If there were games where you could win by a half a point. I would take it.

Coming from where the Browns have been. We should not forget how hard it is to win games.

The big stat for me last season was we never lost two in a row.

We also improved as the season rolled on.

I will practice patience. IMO once we figure a few things out. I think we get on a roll.

Legend
Legend
So we don't need this . . . .:: Putting away the snark repellent, but keeping it within reach. brownie rofl

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 26 Bears 6 Justin Fields to start

Link Copied to Clipboard