Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Boycott the Federalist Society

The group refuses to condemn insurrectionists in its ranks. It should not occupy a place of respect in the legal community.

Two months ago, on the eve of my graduation from Stanford Law School, I learned that the Stanford chapter of the Federalist Society had filed a complaint against me over a satirical flyer I sent to a law school listserv in January. The flyer advertised an event at which Senator Joshua Hawley and Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, both long-time Federalist Society members, would make “The Originalist Case for Inciting Insurrection.”

The flyer was a joke, but the officers of the Stanford Federalist Society weren’t laughing. Instead, in a letter of complaint filed with Stanford’s Office of Community Standards, these third-year law students alleged that I had defamed Hawley, Paxton, and the Federalist Society itself. The immediate implications of this allegation were serious: Stanford put a hold on my diploma pending the outcome of their investigation, jeopardizing my graduation and admission to the bar.

In one sense, the Federalist Society students who filed the complaint against me had a point. Defamation is a false statement of fact that causes harm to the reputation of the person or organization targeted. And I cannot deny that I hoped “The Originalist Case for Inciting Insurrection” would do just that. Where the complaint’s authors went off course, however, was in contending that “The Originalist Case for Inciting Insurrection” presented a statement of fact—that the advertised event was actually going to occur. In reality, I trusted that the audience for my flyer, a group of law students, would deploy their well-honed critical reading skills and spot the clues that this event was not for real. (The flyer explained, for example, that violent insurrection is also known as “doing a coup,” and advertised an event that would have occurred weeks earlier, on Jan. 6.)

In other words, rather than impairing the Federalist Society’s reputation by spreading a lie, a necessary element of defamation, I hoped to do so by drawing attention to the organization’s all-too-real connections to the Jan. 6 insurrection. In the six months since the attack, the Federalist Society leaders who sought to overturn the results of a free and fair election have faced virtually no consequences, and the organization itself has refused to condemn the insurrectionists in its ranks. An organization that tolerates efforts to undermine democracy should not be permitted to remain in good standing in the legal community. At minimum, attorneys, law scholars, and law students should refuse to participate in the organization’s events until it takes meaningful steps to disavow the anti-democratic movement so many of its members have supported.

My flyer itself emphasized the events immediately preceding the Jan. 6 attack: Hawley famously raised his fist in support of the mob that stormed the Capitol, while Paxton (along with John Eastman, who was at the time the head of a Federalist Society practice group) spoke with President Donald Trump at the now-infamous “Save America Rally.” But the Federalist Society’s connections to the insurrection stretch well beyond the day of the attack. Consider the October 2020 speaking tour of Hans von Spakovsky. Von Spakovsky was a member of the Trump administration’s “voter fraud” panel, from which he controversially suggested excluding Democrats and “mainstream” Republicans. For more than two decades, von Spakovsky has been at the forefront of the right wing’s “voter-suppression effort in disguise,” pushing unfounded claims of voter fraud as a justification for restrictions on the franchise. And in the month before the 2020 election he participated in at least nine Federalist Society events, delivering talks with names like “Consequences of Mail-In Ballots” and “Election Fraud 2020: Fact or Fiction?” At one of his talks, von Spakovsky warned: “If it’s a close election, we may have a lot of chaos in a lot of different places, and a lot of litigation contesting the outcome.”

Von Spakovsky’s warning—or perhaps threat is the better word—proved prescient: in the months following the election, litigation filed by Federalist Society attorneys helped to foster the growing chaos that culminated on Jan. 6.

Most notorious among the lawsuits that sought to overturn the 2020 election was Paxton’s challenge to the voting procedures of four other states, an unprecedented legal maneuver that was summarily rejected by the Supreme Court. Of the 17 attorneys general who joined Paxton in that widely ridiculed effort, 13 are affiliated with the Federalist Society.

Other lawsuits challenging the election filed by Federalist Society officers include Stoddard v. City Election Commission, filed by Edward Greim, a member of the Executive Committee of the Federalist Society’s “Free Speech & Election Law Practice Group”; and Kelly v. Pennsylvania, filed by Gregory H. Teufel, who heads the organization’s Pittsburgh chapter.

Like Paxton’s Texas v. Pennsylvania lawsuit, these cases sought radically disruptive judicial orders that would have thrown the outcome of the presidential election into doubt. The argument advanced in Stoddard mimicked the unfounded grievance voiced by a mob outside of Detroit’s TCF Center on election day, and called for a pause in finalizing the vote in Wayne County, the most Democratic county in Michigan. Teufel’s Kelly complaint went even further, calling for an order “nullifying a governor’s certification of presidential election results,” as the State of Pennsylvania put it in its brief before the Supreme Court. As with Paxton’s lawsuit, Greim’s and Teufel’s cases were quickly dismissed.

This farcical streak of court losses for Federalist Society officers did not deter other Federalist Society members from continuing to spread election misinformation. In late December, Hawley promised to object to the election results during the Electoral College certification process on Jan. 6. Ted Cruz, another member of the senate’s unofficial Federalist Society Caucus, followed suit.

All of which is to say that while “The Originalist Case for Inciting Insurrection” was indeed supposed to be funny, the Federalist Society’s connections to the attack on the Capitol are no joke. The collective efforts of the Federalist Society’s membership provided a veneer of legal legitimacy to the falsehoods that fueled the insurrectionist mob. Meanwhile, the Federalist Society itself has resolutely refused to disavow those members who played a role in inciting the insurrection.

No organization with such extensive ties to a violent attack on our democracy should occupy a place of respect within the legal community. The Federalist Society has long relied on the participation of venerated attorneys and influential scholars in campus events to shore up its reputation as a law school debate club. But those who engage in Federalist Society debates lend the organization an air of non-partisan credibility that is completely at odds with reality.

The Federalist Society cannot be allowed to successfully employ this cynical strategy while its most prominent members continue to fan the flames of a dangerous anti-democratic movement. Law professors, law students, and practicing attorneys should refuse to participate in Federalist Society events until the organization renounces the insurrection inciters in its ranks. Although discourse between those of differing persuasions is critical to the health of a functioning democracy, some issues, like the merits of violent insurrection, should not be up for debate.

When the details of the complaint against me came to light in early June, there was a swift public backlash against both Stanford and the Federalist Society. While the Federalist Society remained silent, Stanford quickly concluded that “The Originalist Case for Inciting Insurrection” was constitutionally protected speech and that the investigation could not go forward. Ten days later, I stood alongside my classmates as we graduated from law school beneath the California sun.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2021/07/federalist-society-insurrection-cowards.html

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Let's start a thread called What Democrats have ALWAYS been!!!

O
Legend
Legend
O
That would definitely make more sense than saying so in this thread.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I bet that guy's girlfriend is happy...

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: Clemdawg
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Insurrection Day and Hunter Biden

B
Legend
Legend
B
You have to understand that those people have bought in to the lie because they want to believe the lie.

Lie to the people. The communist way.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
You are on a roll.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Speaking of believing a lie.....

Majority of Republicans say 2020 election was invalid: poll

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/54...as-invalid-poll

But that has become your new mantra. Blame the other side of the exact thing you're guilty of.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
He even sees communists under his bed at night.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
He even sees communists under his bed at night.

And I thought Trevor Noah was terrible... saywhat

P
Legend
Legend
P
Well of course you did......

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M

P
Legend
Legend
P
So I guess using black lights to look for bamboo fibers in the paper ballots didn't even change things. Hmmmmm.....

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I have to admit, I'm actually surprised by that outcome from the Cyber Ninja audit. I figured the result was going to be foregone.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think once you read into it you'll find the count says Biden won but they will still point to conspiracy theories as to why that happened. I don't believe they will make it as cut and dry as the surface indicates.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: mgh888

Their numbers show Trump losing to Biden by 300 MORE votes than the official count did! They strengthened Bidens position! lmao! You can't make this up.

O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
POLITICO Playbook: Scoop: Fox to Rudy: You’re banned

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/playbook/2021/09/24/scoop-fox-to-rudy-youre-banned-494458?1

Rudy Giuliani and son Andrew banned 3 months ago from appearing on fox news. Rudy was notified hours before appearing for the twentieth anniversary of 9/11.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: fishtheice

Odd...all of Tucker Carlson's other videos are available.

It seems Youtube and others don't want the information about
“The Weather Underground” radical movement exploding a bomb in the U.S. Capitol to be known.

O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
You takes down pure propaganda and lies... maybe this is why.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
You takes down pure propaganda and lies... maybe this is why.

Oh, the irony.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend

“The Weather Underground” radical movement exploding a bomb in the U.S. Capitol to be known.

You won't like hearing this, but truth is, when Youtube takes stuff down, it's usually because it's a lie.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
You won't like hearing this, but truth is, when Youtube takes stuff down, it's usually because it's a lie.

Lol. You have no clue what you are talking about.

YouTube keeps and takes down whatever it wishes too. Lies or not. Opinions of others (politically) it chooses not to keep up; Demonetizes those channels it wants to for "violating its terms" when they don't. Deliberately alters algorithms so certain channels populate less, regardless of viewership.

"But the truth is"......Good one.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
The poor, persecuted right wing. #conservativetears

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Quote:

Lol. You have no clue what you are talking about.

YouTube keeps and takes down whatever it wishes too. Lies or not. Opinions of others (politically) it chooses not to keep up; Demonetizes those channels it wants to for "violating its terms" when they don't. Deliberately alters algorithms so certain channels populate less, regardless of viewership.

I never said "YOUR TRUTH" I said "THE TRUTH"

I recognize Trumpians, Right wing hate groups, insurrectionists and the like feel as if they are having their hate speech and lies blocked so they can't infect the rest of the nation. I get that.

Last edited by Damanshot; 09/25/21 03:03 PM.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
well it was obvious why they didn't yield the results wanted.

should've used Cyber Vikings instead of Ninjas. right wingers love glorifying that short stint of history like everything else.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

The lefties did explode a bomb in the Capitol.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B

TASS has had it removed.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
No FOX News didn't have it removed.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
The Weather Underground:

https://time.com/4549409/the-weather-underground-bad-moon-rising/

1960s Anti-Vietnam-War Group that used dynamite in their protests. Hummm.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

When and where did this take place.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Apparently about 55 years ago

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

You won't like seeing this, but this did happen in 1971...causing 300k in damages.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2021/02/28/when-the-left-attacked-the-capitol-471270

O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
After the game saw a commercial for some guy named GIBBONS running for office in Ohio. This guy is yet another tool calling the left leftist and socialist like the left is somehow un-American... smh

Tough guys like this crack me up. Another weirdo righty.

O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Glad you could go back to 1971 and dig up something that makes the right not look as bad as it is... too bad you failed and we can all see how bad the right is.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
GOP Rep. Matt Gaetz said Tucker Carlson is correct about white nationalist 'replacement' conspiracy theory and called ADL racist
Kelsey Vlamis 2 hours ago

Matt Gaetz defended Tucker Carlson for peddling a white nationalist conspiracy theory last week.
Carlson said the theory is "the replacement of legacy Americans, with more obedient people from faraway countries."

Gaetz said Carlson was correct and that the ADL, which had called for Carlson's firing, was racist.

Rep. Matt Gaetz of Florida appeared to endorse a white nationalist conspiracy theory that Tucker Carlson promoted on his Fox News show last week.

".@TuckerCarlson is CORRECT about Replacement Theory as he explains what is happening to America," Gaetz, a Republican, wrote in a tweet Saturday.

Carlson embraced the "Great Replacement Theory" on his show Wednesday during a segment attacking President Joe Biden for the Haitian migrant crisis that played out on the southern border last week.

He accused Biden of intentionally bringing immigrants into the country for political purposes and falsely said Biden supports open borders.

Carlson said Biden wants "to reduce the political power of people whose ancestors lived here, and dramatically increase the proportion of Americans newly arrived from the third world."

"In political terms, this policy is sometimes called the great replacement — the replacement of legacy Americans, with more obedient people from faraway countries," Carlson said.

The Great Replacement Theory has been used by white nationalists and white supremacists who argue that people of color are replacing white populations or people with European roots.

The theory has inspired violent extremists, including the shooter who killed 23 people at a Walmart in El Paso, Texas, in 2019, and the gunman in the Christchurch mosque shootings in New Zealand that killed 51 people, also in 2019.

Carlson has peddled the theory on his show in the past, prompting his boss, Fox CEO Lachlan Murdoch, to assert Carlson actually rejected the theory. But the Fox News host's latest comments cleared up any confusion over where he stands on the matter.

Representatives for Gaetz and Carlson did not immediately respond to Insider's requests for comment.

In his tweet defending Carlson, Gaetz also said: "The ADL is a racist organization."

The Anti-Defamation League is an international NGO whose mission is "to stop the defamation of the Jewish people, and to secure justice and fair treatment to all."

The ADL called for Fox News to fire Carlson for endorsing the Great Replacement Theory. When Carlson peddled the theory in April, Jonathan Greenblatt, the head of the ADL, also called for Carlson's firing.

The Great Replacement Theory has also been used to target Jewish people specifically.

At the white supremacist Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, in 2017, attendees marched while chanting: "Jews will not replace us."

The ADL did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.

https://www.businessinsider.com/matt-gae...y-theory-2021-9

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
After the game saw a commercial for some guy named GIBBONS running for office in Ohio. This guy is yet another tool calling the left leftist and socialist like the left is somehow un-American... smh

Tough guys like this crack me up. Another weirdo righty.

That commercial was ridiculous. Zero policy and 100% extremism galvanization.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Trump still out there holding rallies. Still promoting the big lie. Still leading the Republican party....

Trump takes jabs at Gov. Kemp, Raffensperger during 'Save America' rally in central Georgia

Trump first attacked Stacey Abrams before making jabs at Kemp and Raffensperger.

PERRY, Ga. — Former President Donald Trump took to the podium in south Georgia on Saturday at a 'Save America' rally, taking the opportunity again to make jabs at Governor Brian Kemp and Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger.

Trump first attacked Stacey Abrams before calling the Georgia governor a "complete disaster on election integrity" while pushing false claims the 2020 Nov. election outcome was not legitimate.

"Having her might be better than having your existing governor," he said on Saturday at the Georgia National Fairgrounds in Perry on Saturday night.

The politicians have had a strained relationship since the election. Trump previously lashed out at Kemp for not intervening in the election on his behalf several times, later saying "I'm ashamed that I endorsed him." He also has made calls for Kemp's resignation.

"Stacey, would you like to take his place? It's okay with me," Trump said at the Saturday rally.

The former president continued, saying Raffensperger and Kemp are "RINOs" -- or Republicans In Name Only -- and calling on the people of Georgia to vote the Republican leaders out of office.

"In particular your incompetent and strange, there's something wrong with this guy, your Secretary of State Raffensperger," Trump said.

Last November, Raffensperger previously said he voted for the former president and felt he was being thrown under the bus by him.

Brian Kemp did not attend the Save America event. Trump did, however, shout out Republican Vernon Jones, who was at the rally on Saturday and intends to challenge Kemp for governor in the next election.

https://www.11alive.com/article/news/pol...95-c43cbb7b0780

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B

1971, US capitol building.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus What Republicans have become part 2

Link Copied to Clipboard