Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1887379 09/26/21 04:48 PM
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
What the hell is going on here? I'm practically a lurker on DT anymore and I'm posting this thread?

* Most dominant defensive performance by the Browns defense that I can remember, and I'm an old timer. Is that because we're so good, or because Justin Fields is so not ready for prime time? Who cares, it was fun to watch.

* If you saw the first quarter, you might have thought "Oh no, we're not going to be able to run the ball today.". But that's not how the run game works. Its an attrition thing - it wears down the defense as the game goes on, and as they get more and more worn down, you start seein "chunk plays" on running plays. Good job sticking with it, Browns!

* Does anyone else have problems with FOX telecasts? I don't know if its the network's problem or Spectrum cable, but I kept having these pixelating screens at key points of the game that were quite annoying.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: Dave
What the hell is going on here? I'm practically a lurker on DT anymore and I'm posting this thread?

* Most dominant defensive performance by the Browns defense that I can remember, and I'm an old timer. Is that because we're so good, or because Justin Fields is so not ready for prime time? Who cares, it was fun to watch.

* If you saw the first quarter, you might have thought "Oh no, we're not going to be able to run the ball today.". But that's not how the run game works. Its an attrition thing - it wears down the defense as the game goes on, and as they get more and more worn down, you start seein "chunk plays" on running plays. Good job sticking with it, Browns!

* Does anyone else have problems with FOX telecasts? I don't know if its the network's problem or Spectrum cable, but I kept having these pixelating screens at key points of the game that were quite annoying.

Had the same issue with the pixels and constant freezing at random times as well, what an annoyance....But the win made up for it!

T
Legend
Legend
T
Post Game Thought!
Stefanski was angry with the refs!
For the pass intereference call that took away the interception from New Safety JJ3.

Which was set up by him declining the penalty which I believe would have set up 4th down, and instead set up 3rd and 19.

He should have accepted the penalty 1.
He should have taken the 3 points in the first quarter on drive #2 2.

And JJ3, ... sigh. 3.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I will just say that it was a good win.

A lot has to do with your opponent.

The Bears defense kept them in the game. Baker was 62 percent today so the eye popping numbers from the first 2 games won’t hold.

The Bears offense was not very good today. Nagy had better figure that one out or he won’t be the coach much longer..The Browns defense had a great day and looked a lot better than they did in the other games. Mills played better than fields.

I love the Fact that the Browns have had Mayfield at QB for the past 3 years. The QB Jersey can be retired.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Wow,just Wow.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
O
Legend
Legend
O
Dominant win whistle to whistle. This is how more games should feel. We were so in control I didn't even mind those 4th down turnovers.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
I had that bad and I have OTA antenna... so, it's whatever is getting fed to Spectrum. I'm glad to hear that people with cable were having the issue, too, as I was getting so annoyed I was researching upgrades to my antenna.

Originally Posted By: Dave
Is that because we're so good, or because Justin Fields is so not ready for prime time?

It's both. We're damn good, but they're also exceptionally terrible... though, that offense still hung 20+ on Cinci. Their OLine is trash and they were just completely overmatched.

Our CBs covered like they were all All-World, too, which absolutely helped.
Everything will come back to Earth next week, though. It's just how it is. The question is how much of a difference will we see?
Today, JOK was MUCH, MUCH more active and involved. Clowney, Myles, and Takk were just abusive monsters. We held them to 34 Yds rushing and 68 Yds passing..... that's just filthy, but they're also just that bad, and we have the tools to take advantage of them being that bad.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

R
Legend
Legend
R
--What a turnaround for the defense. Woods and the defense were awesome. Myles was awesome. JOK was awesome. Newsome continues to impress. Defense was PHENOMENAL. Totally bummed Myles just missed 5.5.

--Baker was very poor today. Missed TD to Felton. Missed TD to Bryant in the corner of the end zone (on that weird play where Felton ran a circle around Mayfield in the shotgun; Mayfield was determined to give him the ball back, didn't even look at Bryant). Missed TD to OBJ (the one where he made the nice catch out of bounds; a better throw gets it done there). Missed Bryant wide open late for an easy first down. Missed a bunch of other easy throws.

--Baker continues to be one of the worst deep ball throwers in the game. Never hits a guy in stride.

--Baker has such slow eyes. Takes him a long time to get to his 2nd and 3rd reads if they are on the other side of the field. OL didn't do him much favors either, but the combo of the slow eyes and poor protection was on display today.

--Jed Wills shouldn't have been playing today.

--This feels like 2020 first half of the season Baker instead of the one that was supposed to take a giant leap after a really good second half 2020.

--I sometimes wonder if Stefanski's offense is too emasculating for QBs like Baker. It's perfect for guys like Cousins. But Baker is a natural gunslinger. A push the ball down the field guy. Chunk plays. I get wanting to coach the turnovers out of him, but you have to let him be who he is too.

--Beckham looked good.

--Hunt. Goodness. Ran like he was mad at the grass.

--Huge catches by Peoples-Jones.

--FG kicker was awesome. Would love to have that position locked down.

--This team won by 10 and 20 with average QB play the last two weeks. We'll be there at the end. The formula and talent will get it done by itself. The question is how far will we go.

--Will add that Greg Olsen was awesome in the booth.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Thanks for combining those or deleting it.

Some of the throws to tight ends today were noticeably not targeting Njoku.

The first quarter was so bad, the first 3 drives on offense. Not Ready for prime time coaching decisions.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Hunt and Myles bailed out Stefanski today.

How bad is Greg Newsome injured. He left the game late with a calf injury.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend

Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
STUD! Great game for JOK!

Last edited by GratefulDawg; 09/26/21 05:18 PM.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

This being Fields first start. I do not hold him accountable.

Woods revenge. Myles speaks.

The Browns defense overwhelmed them.

The Browns offense is a load to handle. Damn, we run so many looks. hard to know what is coming.

Bears plan was stop Chubb.

The drive before the half was a masterpiece.

Stefanski was so smart to change to Hunt. Bears were not ready to handle the plays Hunt ran.

Odell had a nice game coming back.

What can you say about Myles? He jumped off the screen.

JOK had a terrific game. He handled all plays. Broke up passes. Made tackles. Got sacks. Smart quick guy. When blockers have to move and then block him. They can not block him. He was all over the field.

When you apply that much pressure. Not much can be done.

=====================================================

Baker has matured so much. Playing smart football. He is making the plays that are there.

The throw to Felton would have been a huge gain or TD. He was held just enough to make the pass look overthrown. It was actually on target. Felton lost one step.

Baker missed Bryant. He knew it. No big deal.

Game balls:
Myles
JOK
Hunt
Baker
Woods

If we can apply that kind of pressure. We won't lose another game.

We made some mental errors early.

I think the Bears defense had guys make some good individual plays.

This game was never in doubt. I was as calm during the game as I have been in a long time.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
So, that's what happens when you blitz a rookie QB. Who would have thunk it.

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
JOK needs to start every week.

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
1st String
1st String
Our D played angry and hungry today. Plays made literally all over the field. It was a beautiful sight to see. We finally made a rookie qb look like a rookie qb. They took the criticism personally and I appreciate that.

Baker was getting pressed all game it felt like, but made plays when it mattered most. Still a little upset at the missed opportunity to Bryant but I can live with it. Odell and DPJ had some fantastic catches that kept the offense on the field too.

Hunt was a straight monster today. He was due for a TD and deserved it for that effort.

The Bears D came to play today but we just completely gassed in the end. I saw one of their dlineman sucking up the earths atmosphere towards the end. It was a beautiful thing to see.

Great game. Coach had a few hiccups though but I wouldn't grill him for it. Just take the 3, it's okay.

Legend
Legend
The Browns allowed 47 total yet yards on 42 plays. 1 net yard passing. crazy

I don't care if you played a college team ....... that's impressive.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Defense overall played very well... Myles had him self a game

Nice to have OBJ back... made some great catches...

Hunt had himself a game!

Chubb was solid... wish his TD streak would have continued

JOK had some really great plays

Bintinio was off... got beat several times and couple calls on him

Wills should have been done when he was taken out for injury... no way I'd put him back in there...

Baker was ok... had some really nice plays... missed a few... limited the mistakes and did a good job checking down when needed or running... had some crazy houdini plays to get out of a sack a few times...

Chase was solid today! That 57yard kick was money...

<><

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Went to the game this afternoon for a first time in awhile. I'm more of a fan of a large screen TV w/ essentially a 50-yard line view each play, but it was a ton of fun.

1. You could not have asked for better weather. It was perfect. Lots of Bears fans ...probably because the White Sox were in town and it made sense to come to Cleveland and make a weekend out of it.

2. Chicago's defensive line was really giving it to us quite a bit. That unit played well. Chubb was largely ineffective early on and they were putting a lot of pressure on Baker.

3. That said, our defensive line was amazing. Granted, it was against a piss-poor offensive line but I think this position group needed a "pick me up" performance.

4. It was a nice game for OBJ. Not overly targeted and forced the ball, but a meaningful part of the offense to slowly work him in. He looked good.

5. Not shocking or anything but Kareem Hunt had the best performance, offensively, IMO. Myles Garrett, defensively.

6. The Browns made Fields look like Manziel against Buffalo. He was completely lost and the Browns were in his head all game long.

Even being 0-2 on 4th downs in the first quarter, it always felt like the talent of the Browns would eventually win the day. There never was any urgency that the Browns were in trouble, IMO. And they slowly pulled away. Solid win.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Justin Fields:
6-20 for 68 yards
3 carries for 12 yards
He was sacked…NINE times.

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

Last edited by GratefulDawg; 09/26/21 05:55 PM.

#gmSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: jaybird

Wills should have been done when he was taken out for injury... no way I'd put him back in there...

How much was it Bitonio having a bad game because he played poorly vs because he was trying to help out Wills?

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Jester

How much was it Bitonio having a bad game because he played poorly vs because he was trying to help out Wills?

#gmSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Best of luck, D'Ernest Johnson.

He is a good player and has a spot in the NFL surely, but if Felton keeps this up, there is no point having him on the roster. Practice squad? Sure.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Great defense today. We made the Bears look like the old Browns on offense. I’m hoping we can carry this momentum to Minnesota and LA .. two hard away games

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I don't get people saying Baker was bad. Yes he missed some throws, that happens to the best of them. He also made some key runs to prevent losing yards.

Hunt runs with reckless abandon. He is so fun to watch. Bears defense definitely planned to stop Chubb, although he still had 84 yards.

When you face a defense with Mack and Quinn, it's going to be a tough game.

The first time going for it on 4th down I could see, the second was a head scratcher to me. 4th and 5 is a tough proposition.

Glad to see Woods send the blitz. Myles was a beast, but the whole Dline was collapsing their line. Great to watch. JOK, is going to be a star. The backend of the defense didn't get enough credit today, they played great.

The PI called on JJ3 was a tough one. I said as it happened that he pushed the guy, but in the replay, it didn't look like he pushed him as hard as the live look. If this was a Steeler or Raven player, I doubt it gets called, and would be heralded as a great play.

This was a great game for the defense, but Chicago's line is horrible. I just hope Woods keeps this mindset, and continues to blitz more often.

Our Oline is a monster late in the game, and will be a problem for most teams. No turnovers is big, but we need to start getting some takeaways.

Two in a row, let's keep it going.

Oh yeah, the Bengals beat up on the Steelers in Pittsburgh, although the refs were hosing them many times. Baltimore got some help too, the long field goal should have never happened, time clearly ran out, should have been called for delay of game.

Last edited by Steubenvillian; 09/26/21 06:12 PM.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Legend
Legend

Fear us for we have!

Never a doubt we would Win!

#gmSTRONG
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: Jester

This very well could be the reason...I know every game thus far, Wills has been hobbled and missed time (probably would make sense to let him have a full game off, to not further injure that ankle) And Joel has struggled this year, I think I read somewhere his PFF grade was like a 56 last week....When Joel is normally always highly rated, not sure if it is him...or him lending help to Wills/Hence...Hoping we get it all ironed out soon!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I am more than critical of our special teams. KS showed faith in CM to let him kick that, I was screaming no.

KS built trust with Chase today, and that is important.

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
B
Legend
Legend
B
We have a kicker.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
Defense overall played very well... Myles had him self a game

Nice to have OBJ back... made some great catches...

Hunt had himself a game!

Chubb was solid... wish his TD streak would have continued

JOK had some really great plays

Baker was ok... had some really nice plays... missed a few... limited the mistakes and did a good job checking down when needed or running... had some crazy houdini plays to get out of a sack a few times...

Chase was solid today! That 57yard kick was money...

Hate to say it, but I think OBJ was part of why Baker looked so bad today. Noticed a stretch that every pass was going to OBJ with several incomplete. Not saying this can't be fixed but I think Baker forced it in there a couple times.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Can anyone explain to me why on that last FG drive by Chicago we accepted the holding penalty by Chicago's Oline? It was 3rd & 9 at the 50, Chicago threw a pass to the TE that got them 6 yds making it 4th & 3 at our 44 yard line and instead of having them punt (or try a 60+ yd FG) we took the penalty making it 3rd & 19 then we had the pass interference penalty on the next play setting up Chicago's last FG. It was only 13 to 3 at the time with about 4:30 left in the 3rd Quarter.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
L
Legend
Legend
L
He missed a couple open throws, but 19/31 for 250, a TD strike, no picks and a W isn’t my idea of ‘bad’ QB play.

My thoughts, otherwise: the Bears OL is atrocious, but nine sacks is nine sacks - exceptional. I was hoping MG would continue to pad the stats; I can be greedy that way. wink

It’s nice that, when we have a day where Chubb has trouble getting going, we can just send Hunt out there and let him do his work. Terrific game from Kareem, running and catching the ball. He plays every game like he’s on a mission.

Chase McLaughlin had a great day: two kicks over 50 yards, four-for-four on the afternoon. Conklin got called for his fourth holding penalty today. He and Bitonio have to get that stuff straightened out.

Our run D is very solid and isn’t giving up a lot, third straight game they showed up.

I’m falling in love hard for JOK, he’s already making impact plays. He’s going to be a stud. He might already be that.
The penalty on John Johnson was a brutal call.

Bottom one is we hit the win and it’s on to whip some more butt in Minnesota next week.

Not our game, but the Lions got screwed by the refs on that FG kick at the end.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

This is problematic. Leg issues and his shoulder popped? I hope I'm wrong but I'm not sure we will ever have a healthy OBJ.

(Photo is a little over the top)

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
H
All Pro
All Pro
H
I watched the first few drives by the Browns and saw the 2 4th down turnovers. At that point, I turned off the TV, and took the dog for a walk, and ran some errands. I got in the car and decided to turn it on to the game, and they were just kicking the extra point to make it 20-6.

If this isn’t enough empirical data that I am an albatross on their neck, I don’t know what is.

You don’t have to thank me for the win, since I didn’t watch any of the rest of the game, but just give me a little thumbs up for the effort.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 26 Bears 6 Post game thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard