Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
j/c:

This is problematic. Leg issues and his shoulder popped? I hope I'm wrong but I'm not sure we will ever have a healthy OBJ.

Not having your legs under you after not playing for a year is not a problem. Playing in a game is not like practice, game reps take a lot more out of you. I think he meant his stamina was not up to par.

More chicken little talk

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Not having actually Seen much of him, I can’t comment with any authority on it, but for the reports this Felton kid has people flashing back to Eric Metcalf.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Oh yeah I forgot to mention him. Felton is shifty as heck, got us some yards on PR - I think he had more than 100 - and is another weapon the D has to worry about.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: dawg66
Can anyone explain to me why on that last FG drive by Chicago we accepted the holding penalty by Chicago's Oline? It was 3rd & 9 at the 50, Chicago threw a pass to the TE that got them 6 yds making it 4th & 3 at our 44 yard line and instead of having them punt (or try a 60+ yd FG) we took the penalty making it 3rd & 19 then we had the pass interference penalty on the next play setting up Chicago's last FG. It was only 13 to 3 at the time with about 4:30 left in the 3rd Quarter.

Probably thought they might go for it on 4 th and 3. Doubted they would be able to get that close if we backed them up. Turns out it was the wrong call. I wasn't upset with the call.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Jester
Originally Posted By: jaybird

Bintinio was off... got beat several times and couple calls on him

Wills should have been done when he was taken out for injury... no way I'd put him back in there...

How much was it Bitonio having a bad game because he played poorly vs because he was trying to help out Wills?

Akeem Hicks is probably the reason. He is an All Pro player that does not get much press.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
Thanks Ham! Stay away smile

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Can anyone explain to me why on that last FG drive by Chicago we accepted the holding penalty by Chicago's Oline? It was 3rd & 9 at the 50, Chicago threw a pass to the TE that got them 6 yds making it 4th & 3 at our 44 yard line and instead of having them punt (or try a 60+ yd FG) we took the penalty making it 3rd & 19 then we had the pass interference penalty on the next play setting up Chicago's last FG. It was only 13 to 3 at the time with about 4:30 left in the 3rd Quarter.

I was wondering the same thing. Thought I missed something.

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
T
Legend
Legend
T
The Failure to produce even one defensive turnover on a day where your same defense gets 9 sacks, is alarming! Alarm-ing! Eep. Eep. Eep.
The Bengals beating the Steelers is slightly alarming because they could get on a roll with the terribleness of their scheduled opponents.
I think they play every rookie quarterback, and every bad team. Jax, Det. Jets,
Last thing we need is to give those dummies confidence.

(Nothing worse than a bengals fan, if there team has one win on the season. Hate listening to them.)

JJ3, Has made very few plays to help the Browns, and today gave up a 50 yard penalty.
His predecessor, last years safety, was not known for causing negative plays, specifically Sendejo.

... At the Beginning of the game!
Whoever was in charge of the offense! WAs in SUCH A HURRY, for the Browns to come out and throw 3 inconmplete passes and waste the whole team possession withoug even using up 30 second of clock time,
That the lust for bad play outcomes should be an alarming problem!

here we go again, ... Greg Newsome to get an MRI tomorrow on a calf injury, if he's out for the year, that's another first round pick that ...

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
Not having your legs under you after not playing for a year is not a problem.

Yes...yes it is.

Quote:
More chicken little talk

His first start being punted until Week 3 is not a coincidence. And having injury issues for the past four years (or are we on year five?) is also not a coincidence.

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Very pleased with the performance of the team.

We got ourselves headed in the right direction and it's not always going to be easy in fact it's more fun when it's harder, but I love this team and everything about them. The coaches the players everything this I believe is our time.

We need to enjoy this season cause this is headed towards real special I hate to see anyone miss it spending their time worrying....

Enjoy this season, we got us one hell of a football team.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

--Baker was very poor today. Missed TD to Felton. Missed TD to Bryant in the corner of the end zone (on that weird play where Felton ran a circle around Mayfield in the shotgun; Mayfield was determined to give him the ball back, didn't even look at Bryant). Missed TD to OBJ (the one where he made the nice catch out of bounds; a better throw gets it done there). Missed Bryant wide open late for an easy first down. Missed a bunch of other easy throws.

--Baker continues to be one of the worst deep ball throwers in the game. Never hits a guy in stride.

--Baker has such slow eyes. Takes him a long time to get to his 2nd and 3rd reads if they are on the other side of the field. OL didn't do him much favors either, but the combo of the slow eyes and poor protection was on display today.

--This feels like 2020 first half of the season Baker instead of the one that was supposed to take a giant leap after a really good second half 2020.

--I sometimes wonder if Stefanski's offense is too emasculating for QBs like Baker. It's perfect for guys like Cousins. But Baker is a natural gunslinger. A push the ball down the field guy. Chunk plays. I get wanting to coach the turnovers out of him, but you have to let him be who he is too.

--This team won by 10 and 20 with average QB play the last two weeks. We'll be there at the end. The formula and talent will get it done by itself. The question is how far will we go.

That is a bit harsh… Every QB misses plays in a game. Baker makes some plays as well.. You would think that he was 0-31 with all the sacks today.

Justin Fields does not want you to review his performance today either. rofl

I think that is about 50 starts for Baker, with the playoff games.

I don’t think that anyone else can make that claim since the return, maybe Couch, but I think you can say that the Baker has the most wins.

I just don’t get the Baker hate. Here and in the game day thread. You would think that Baker was trash.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Jester

I was wondering the same thing. Thought I missed something.

Shockingly our reporters didn't ask that question post game. I have to feel 3rd and 19 felt better than 4th and 3 with the threat of Justin running for it.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
H
All Pro
All Pro
H
This is the correct answer. It’s hard to keep an athletic QB from getting 3 yards after the play has gone in to street ball mode.

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
I’m here for you, dawg!

R
Legend
Legend
R
I don't hate Baker. I don't know why it's frowned upon to be critical. And I don't know why being critical equates to hating.

I just feel like we should call it like it is. To be fair, I probably should have listed a few positives as well, like the drive before the half and that touchdown pass. Both great.

But overall I thought he was below average. Missed a ton of throws. At home. I thought we'd see more improvement since he's finally had some consistency with coaches and system, but he looks the same to me as he did in the first part of last season.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Why do you assume they would have went for it? They were only down 7 at the time with about 5 minutes left in the 3rd quarter yet.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
He doesn't believe any of the stuff he says he like TL says it for attention ignore him and watch how outlandish he becomes...

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
I don't hate Baker. I don't know why it's frowned upon to be critical. And I don't know why being critical equates to hating.

I just feel like we should call it like it is. To be fair, I probably should have listed a few positives as well, like the drive before the half and that touchdown pass. Both great.

But overall I thought he was below average. Missed a ton of throws. At home. I thought we'd see more improvement since he's finally had some consistency with coaches and system, but he looks the same to me as he did in the first part of last season.

Hate is when you spend all of your efforts telling us what he did not do, and nothing about what he did well. The throws to DPJ, the dime to Hooper, a couple of the escapes seem to sit in my memory. OBJ was involved, so we don’t have to belabor the point.

I will also suggest that this was one of the better defenses that is in the NFL. Statistics won’t tell the story. The putrid Bears offense kept them on the field, and given enough opportunities, the Browns eventually figured out that they were vulnerable on the edges.

I want to make another point….

Look at Bakers statistics through 3 games, very pedestrian. 2 TD’s and 2 Ints. But most other teams don’t have the quality back that Chubb has proven to be, let alone Hunt. No doubt they are going to get their runs for TD’s. So Baker does not have to put up eye popping numbers. And he won’t have the Rodgers type numbers as long as Chubb and Hunt are heathy and putting up 200 yards a game.

Last edited by ChargerDawg; 09/26/21 10:25 PM. Reason: Added point.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Rough day for the chain gang.

Offense wasn't so hot in the first quarter. After the 2nd failed 4th down attempt I was wondering if KS wanted points. They got it together. Baker had a few nice escapes from pressure to avoid a sack.

Defense - so this is what it's supposed to look like. Did the D finally gel or is this a fluke because Chicago O isn't that great? It was fun to watch.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
H
1st String
1st String
H
Why do you assume they would have went for it? They were only down 7 at the time with about 5 minutes left in the 3rd quarter yet.

They were just outside fg range I believe. Spot where a lot of teams go for it.

Legend
Legend
I don't assume anything, I don't know either way...

#gmSTRONG
R
Legend
Legend
R
All the stuff he did well is done every week by 20-25 QBs in the league. They're really not a big deal. It pains me to say this but I can't tell the difference between Baker and Garapolo, Cousins, Burrow, and the current version of Sam Darnold. I watch nearly every game each week. These guys all make the same throws that people want to praise Baker for.

Honestly I just think we are looking at this through different lenses with different expectations and under different contexts.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Finally there is a competent NFL QB in Cleveland.

It is good not to have to win with the 32nd best. Been there, done that, and we know it is a challenge.

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I enjoyed this game. The defense looked like we all hoped it would, yes against a suspect OL, but the backfield was impressive too. A lot of passes got batted away.

It wasn't Baker's best game, nor Chubb's, or Joel's. Maybe Joel was distracted by his failure as a rapper.

But Hunt was awesome, his best game as a Brown. DPJ looked good, as did OBJ and Hoop. There is still no connection between 6 and 10.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
j/c:

This is problematic. Leg issues and his shoulder popped? I hope I'm wrong but I'm not sure we will ever have a healthy OBJ.

(Photo is a little over the top)

OBJ loves the theater!

Legend
Legend
This post reminds me of a thread from many years ago. It might have been on the OG Browns msg board. It was called:

"It's MY Fault The Browns Lost Today." *

This post is like the opposite of that thread.

Maybe we need at least one fan per game to "step up by 'stepping out.'"

I work on some Sundays, so I'll be doing my share by default. We need true DieHard Dawgs to make their contributions. Perhaps a season ticket holder would give up his AFC Championship game ticket (at FirstEnergy Stadium, no less) to a homeless person, to ensure a CLE appearance for the Lombardi?

Hey- players are stepping up. Shouldn't we fans, as well?

wink

* Does anyone else remember this thread I'm describing? It was during the depth of The Dark Years, and was one of the most hysterical threads I ever read....

"too many notes, not enough music-"
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
We have a kicker.

Yes. Might be the biggest takeaway from the game.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Watching George Kittle of the 9ers make a play I'm left asking.
Where the heck was David Njoku today!

Targets??? Offensive coaching staff?

David Njoku is a top tight end in the entire NFL, get him the ball.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Quote:
I thought we'd see more improvement since he's finally had some consistency with coaches and system, but he looks the same to me as he did in the first part of last season.

Before this game he had the highest completion rating in the league, but you make this comment after this game. But you are being "real"? GMAB

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I think the issue is that you focus too much on the negative. Did Baker have his best game? No. Did we win? Yes.

I know it's a different "era" but Tom Brady and Drew Brees looked very pedestrian their first 6 or 7 seasons in the league. They're also 1 and 2 in career passing yards now.

Mahomes threw an awful pass today in the final two minutes that was intercepted. Should KC be worried? I'm not sure why Baker is always under the microscope and every error is magnified. I mean they happen.

We went to the playoffs for the first time since 2002 last year. Baker is not a problem. Let's be happy. cool

T
Legend
Legend
T
gc. I said... If Anthony Schwartz gets 170 yards in a 3 game window, this year,(reg season), of catches that go for 10 yards through the air, I'd leave the board for a week and change my signature until next Aprils draft.
He had 59 eligible yards in week 1, which are now gone as it is a 3 game window not a 4 game window.
0 yards game 2. and 0 yards earlier in Yesterdays game, game 3.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Baker's still probably reeling from the dislocation. No one will say it but you can see it in his mechanics.

Normally when he throws he plants, and then just unfurls... and can be accurate in the process.

A lot of his balls just didn't have the velocity that I know he has.

There was a couple of times where if you watched his progressions it looked like he was swimming. Or going in slow motion. He's lucky that he has an arm to back it up. There's days where the stuff comes naturally. See him climbing the pocket and just making accurate reads. Other days it's like there's this cloud. Dude's smart and tough though. He and Stefanski have amazing resilience.

I can never get too pissed off watching them play because I know that they're forever "in it" with those two doing what they do.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Grizzly Bears are awful! (<^ He's in Eastern Canada, nothing to do with Chicago's football team.)
GC.
Why, are the Browns' passes, over the shoulder, fade away passes, dropping passes, failing?

Why are the Browns fade away, over the shoulder, dropping passes like the one Felton appeared to lose in the sunlight, and at least 0-2, 0 for 2 on those passes Sunday.

Well I'll tell ya maybe why! Because they're a HORRIBLE Freakin IDEA.
Stupid Low percentage dumb plays in the first place!

Pay Njoku. Feed the Lamb!

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dave
What the hell is going on here? I'm practically a lurker on DT anymore and I'm posting this thread?

* Most dominant defensive performance by the Browns defense that I can remember, and I'm an old timer. Is that because we're so good, or because Justin Fields is so not ready for prime time? Who cares, it was fun to watch.

* If you saw the first quarter, you might have thought "Oh no, we're not going to be able to run the ball today.". But that's not how the run game works. Its an attrition thing - it wears down the defense as the game goes on, and as they get more and more worn down, you start seein "chunk plays" on running plays. Good job sticking with it, Browns!

* Does anyone else have problems with FOX telecasts? I don't know if its the network's problem or Spectrum cable, but I kept having these pixelating screens at key points of the game that were quite annoying.

Yes, I was getting that pixelation too. No good!

Legend
Legend

Sometimes I wonder if people understand what good quarterback play looks like.

It is not only 300 yards passing and four TD's.

Sometimes it is escaping the rush and sliding for a first down. Sometimes it is not throwing the ball and taking the sack while protecting the ball.

Other times it is throwing the ball away.

The Bear's have some very good defensive players. Ask Bitonio.

Wills when he played got beat often.

They were geared to stop Chubb. They knew his plays. They did not know Hunt's.

Baker protected the ball. He made the plays that were there.

On the early throw to Felton that looked overthrown. That was because Felton got held just a bit to slow him. The ball was on the money.

He did overthrow Bryant. He knew it. No problem.

Baker is showing how a mature qb plays.

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

Honestly, IMO you miss the nuances of playing quarterback.

The Felton pass was right on the money. Just as the ball was in the air Felton got held just enough to lose a step. The ball would have been in perfect stride.

He missed the Bryant throw.

Mature play at quarterback often does not result in eye popping stats.

It can be shown in pocket awareness. Escaping the rush and sliding for a first down. Throwing the ball away when needing to. That means game awareness.

We were dominating them on defense. The last thing you want is to try and make hero throws where the risk for a int. is higher.

Taking a sack while protecting the ball can be a good play.

The Bears have some very good players on defense.

Ask Bitonio and Wells.

When you are behind and need chunk plays then you take them.

When a team keys on a player like Chubb. Then the coach makes an adjustment to Hunt plays. You roll with that.

You view Bakers play all coming from a negative point of view. Like you look for errors wanting to criticise.

Baker is showing mature quarterback play. His numbers reflect that even though stats do not always demonstrate good qb play.

Leadership and winning counts.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c

A very dominant win. Was enjoyable to watch and even though were were 3-3 deep into the 2nd Q - I doubt if any of us were anxious, I think the writing was on the wall after the Bears first possesion.

Baker was off early - I think at he started 1-7 or something like that. He missed Bryant who was wide open for a TD.... but he finished the game strong and subsequently went 18 0f 24 at nearly 10 yards per attempt in those last 24 throws. So no - Baker didn't play badly and as others highlighted: we played a really outstanding D, he moved in the pocket under pressure, didn't panic when sacked, didn't throw balls for picks ... that opinion that Baker was terrible seems more like agenda or contrived controversy than a real take. I mean we've had posters rail against fast starts and slow finishes - now it's railing against cold starts and strong finishes, proving you just can't win with some folks. And yes - on the throw to Felton - he got checked in his stride slightly but enough to prevent the catch.

Brilliant catches by DPJ - great to see him turn up after the camp he had. OBJ looked good - if not quite as explosive as he will when he is 100%. And Higgins with a couple of nice snags - both for first downs if memory serves. Signs of positive things on the WR core. . . .but hope Landry returns ASAP. He makes a difference IMO.

Chubb struggled as the Bears D really played him well. But they couldn't contain Hunt who bust it open and had a great game.

OL struggled against a really good Bears front ... Bears D came to play and got a lot of penetration and normal Browns stalwarts got beat repeatedly.

Not a lot to say about the D other than WOW. I think the Bears offense might have contributed to how well they looked - but take nothing away from our D, because they dominated for 4 quarters. I think you can tell that Woods and Stefanski were aware of the focus on the D after two poor outings, there was some fist pumping sort of reactions during and at the end of the half. Let's see how we do vs the Vikings - would love to see continuation and improvement....

MG had himself a game. A warning to the NFL what happens if you don't double him every play.... leading tackler on the team to go along with his 4.5 sacks ... and the front 4 all played great and with high energy.

JOK flashed, and flashed again and jumped off the page.... Newsome and Ward and JJ all made plays.... very encouraging !

The refs were awful - dreadful calls that had big impacts... phantom holding calls and then the BS pass interference on JJ III. Hopefully what goes around comes around and we benefit at some point. But we've lost games in the past because of that schtick and it still bugs the crap out of me to see such blatantly bad calls.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 26 Bears 6 Post game thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard