Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
U
Rookie
Rookie
U
Just to clarify:

The CB situation is especially bad because all 3 of those youngsters were starters last year and all 3 of the vets were signed in the off season and last year's starters were benched.... Then 2 of the vets suck.... It's a problem.

Our D-line is gelling but far, far from a cohesive unit.

The depth at both TE and RB (if Cook's out) is absolutely terrible. If any of our starters go out we're in trouble.

That's all. Good luck guys.

Legend
Legend
Thanks for the report, and welcome to the site!

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
I forgot about Griffin, and Sheldon Richardson is looking for revenge, so he will be an exceptionally motivated threat.

Our OL is banged up at Center and both Tackles, so that could be the equalizer. If you have liabilities against the run, though, it could be a very long afternoon for you; it's something we do rather well.

We both practice daily against this offense, so there isn't going to be a whole lot of trickeration & shenanigans. It's just gonna be line up and beat each other up.

It should be a fun one!

Browns is the Browns

L
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
L
Hey, thanks for chiming in and welcome to DT. No one here hates the Vikings. You called it a terrible scouting report, but you kind of reinforced it with your own analysis wink

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
So... you're saying they should spread it around even more, or spread it around just as much, but differently?

In 2020 they got a little bit of chemistry between Baker and, Landry, Higgins ,and DPJ.

Opening day! They feature: Schwartz, 69 yards, plus a reverse.

Game 2! they feature: All the Tight Ends, Hooper gets the most catches, none of Hoopers catches looked like a good catch.

Game 3! They feture Odell Beckham, but still only 5, (the guy scarcely never will have more than 6 on a day in
a long time, most games , well 8 still the most he's ever had in a Browns day.

Jarvis Landry! Was healthy game 1!
Jarvis Landry was healthy at the start of game 2.

DPJ has been healthy, the entire summer and the first 3 games.

Higgins!, who knows if he's healty, but, his history is documented.

The Browns, as a choice, didn't have to feature A. Schwartz in game 1. (but, if he is some sort of fireball, then, continue to go after him.)

No! They'll go after him in week 1. then forget him in week 2 and 3.
OBJ! Hey, OBJ played, and guess what happened to Baker Mayfields freaking pass efficiency.
Mayfields' passing efficience took a nose dive.

12 incompletions.
Now!, Schwartz and the negative plays?

Listen. Landry-Higgins-DPJ-Njoku-Hooper, the chemistry wasn't broken!
but they need more speed.

What it means? Bringing...--- the rookies, Schwartz, and .. Felton out of THE BACCKKFIELDDD, along slowly, a little usage at a time---- to compliment--- the **stuf** that's already knownn-n to work.
Would be something, many teams might do.

Even, when re-inserting OBJ, back into the mix, bringing, along, things that feature these players, gradually, without scrapping/trashing everything that already exists of the chemistry already built whole-cloth, would be ideal.
I'm sure the smart people have it figured out.
(Let D'Ernest Return punts.)

Last edited by THROW LONG; 09/30/21 02:00 AM. Reason: spelling

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
" The Browns are a top 5 D, theirs is not."
To chew on that comment for a second.

The Browns are not a good defensive team, Not yet! I think the Bears game was an outlier!
JJ3 and Troy Hill? Made any/very many/ plays to impact games force the team to victory yet.

Browns get any turnovers on Sunday? Against the Bears? Browns gave up ONE YARD passing, but couldn't come away with a turnover?

The defense has me, ... "apprehensive" (better than terrified, terrified didn't fit), that they won't get any turnovers all freaking year, and they are going to miss the freaking playoffs!

They won 12 games, last season with Andrew Freaking Sendejo, and Terrence Mitchell!

Ya the front 4 showed up, the front 4 showed up, the front 4 showed up against, the Bears...
The VIKINGS!! are a really really good team that's probably going to the playoffs,

This is not rookie-welome to the NFL, He doesn't know what to do with the, holds on to the ball too long, playing quarterback for them. The Vikings are a real NFL contender, with Kirk Freak- Cousins,
they can beat you a million ways, Thielen, best Wr since 2019, all over expn yesterday. Justin Jefferson,

You can't take this team lightly, this reminds me of the Browns vs. Philadelphia game last year.

No NFL team! Can be judged by what it's done, (very much) in 2021 yet, because, it's too early.
The Vikings started on the road both of the first two weeks.
It takes defense to win on the road.
The Browns, have only played one road game so far.

Browns have to run the ball, like last week, even if it's not working.
I think the Browns...
ought to look at the fisrt quarter of last weeks Bears game, and wish they had some of those decisions back.

"Were the Browns, who came out slingling the rock around like Dan Marino down 10, just trying to use the pass attack to later set up the ability to run agasint a Bears D that was clearly not going to be beat by the Run, as their focus?"

Maybe! But! I think in their heart of hearts, even the Browns offensive coaches... could um, look back at the first quarter of the Bears last week, and .. hope they do a couple things differently,
and be glad it didn't come back to bite them in the backside in terms of the final score. Facepalm

Last edited by THROW LONG; 09/30/21 02:32 AM. Reason: differently not different

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
J/c

During my run this morning this kind of dawned on me: I would look for us to come out and be very aggressive pushing the ball down the field and trying to jump on them early. Stefanski has shown a tendency to do this in hostile/away environments against good offenses (at Dallas, at Tennessee come to mind).

Try to take the crowd out of it. Force them to be more pass oriented and let our defense play from ahead.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
So... you're saying they should spread it around even more, or spread it around just as much, but differently?

If you TRY to figure out what Throw is saying you'll find yourself confused. Hell the man argues with himself half the time.. notallthere

Honestly, I see one of his posts I wave at the sky and keep going why inject yourself into the perfectly good argument he is having with himself? catfight thumbsdown thumbsup

Then the other half of the stuff he says is to TRY to draw attention to himself.... I wished he would either argue with himself or the rest of us.... rofl

The sad part is that he seems to have a handle on certain things but then he goes sideways in the middle of it all. BTW that is when he starts arguing with himself. rofl

If he would stop trying to draw attention to himself, and stop arguing with himself I feel certain he would present something of real value. He seems to be a real nice man, honestly! willynilly

As is the best way to describe him is confused or confusing............. superconfused

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: UncleBurnsie
Hi guys, Vikings fan here and that was a terrible scouting report.

You'll find that most of TL's posts are way off base.

Welcome to Dawgtalkers!

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
None of that rambling, which makes little to no sense at all, changes the *fact* that the Browns Defense is Top 5 - and theirs is not.

Browns is the Browns

2nd String
2nd String
Originally Posted By: Hamfist
I’m looking at their offensive line, and not seeing anyone of note. The Browns DTs should be able to make Cousins a bit jumpy.

I am expecting the Vikings will have several False Start penalties with their linemen trying to get in position earlier.

The Constitution shall never be construe to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. – Samuel Adams
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: UncleBurnsie

Kirk Cousins has been very good this year. But it is Kirk Cousins.

First, thank you for the rundown. It's appreciated.

On the off-chance you're still here, I'd love to hear a Vikings fan's overall opinion on Cousins. IMO, he's going to be just good enough to keep you guys from trying to go out and land "The Guy". So long as our defense plays to its strengths and doesn't go to sleep, Cousins is not a guy I worry about (Long story short, I don't have a very high opinion of Cousins).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O
I'd like to see us attack their corners and LB with quick passes to our WRs and TEs and I'd LOVE to see us get the ball in Hunt's hands out in space and let him go to work on their secondary from there.

They'll respect our run (because we'll keep reminding them it's there), but we need have them defending the pass while doing so.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
It’s weird to admit this, but I’m not much worried about our offense. I’m worried about slowing theirs down

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Thanks for this. Our offense needs to to improve some more. I respect what I have seen of the Vikings. Welcome to our board.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
With Cook back, I see them playing the same game we will. Eat the clock with the running game, and taking big shots. This should be a fun game to watch

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Legend
Legend
I said it last season, and I believe it even more now. This team is built perfectly to run devastating screen passes. Seeing some which seemed to have worked wonderfully. The Chubb/Hunt pairing, this OL Callahan is honing, it is a natural weapon. Thinking back to Landry who was a genius with screens. Even faked them to a side, screen away from that. Center screens are really lethal. Hope to see more of this.

brownie Unleash the Elves! brownie

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
None of that rambling, which makes little to no sense at all, changes the *fact* that the Browns Defense is Top 5 - and theirs is not.

If the best and worst Quarterbacks in this league, who largely effect the offenses, were more similar in their abilities, then I could put more stock in that argument.
I need to ask for more than a 3 game set.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Pdawg

Photo shows brown pants, text of tweet below photo indicates orange pants ... which is it?

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: clwb419
I think pretty much everything has been covered...my 2 cents isn't much different.

We should be successful on O, but of course they know the scheme as well as we do for the most part. I can see a big game for TEs, as well as RB receiving. On paper, this D is better than your buddy's scouting report. The Vikes looked really good in the 2nd half against Seattle. Held them scoreless and under 100 yards. Have they too started to hit their stride?

On D, it'll be a challenge, especially if Cook is playing. Cousins not being much of a runner plays to our advantage, but Ward and Newsome have their hands full with Jefferson and Theilen.

If the D that showed up last week shows up against Minnesota and we don't have turnovers, I don't see us losing.

Newsome out , Greedy starting in his place. This'll be a nice challenge for Greedy.

Minnesota DT Pierce is questionable. If he can't go, our run game improves.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dave
Originally Posted By: Pdawg

Photo shows brown pants, text of tweet below photo indicates orange pants ... which is it?

I’ve read Brown multiple places

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
Early in games.
The Browns have run in the first 3 weeks,
153, 156, and 215. But none of those games we've seen this year have felt like the Browns are giving enough carries to the running backs.

The Browns are averaging over 5, 5.5 yards per carry from their top 2 running backs.

The Browns have 3 Running threats.
Kareem Hunt,
Nick Chubb,
and Baker Mayfield as a runner.
before they even have to go to their bench.

I don't know, for sure that the Browns won't have to go to the passing attack to keep up in the middle to late parts of the game, but:
In the first quarter,
to begin the game, the Browns should be running the ball more than they have shown, by play choice in the first quarter and first half of games,
even if it's barely working.

The goal should be to get Chubb and Hunt both over 60 yards in the first quarter opening two drives.
and well on the way to rushing for greater than 245 yards on the day.

If things go wrong and the scoreboard goes from bad to worse, the game can force a team to have to pass.
and Teams always lose when they give up on the Run.
A bad or worse scoreboard never forces a team to go Back to the Run, so it's important to Start with the Run, by play choice, early, middle, after the half, and at the end of the game.

Musts: Establish the run. Bring the Defense.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Is this an idea on how to beat the Vikings ?

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
merge
this
into the appropriate, pre-existing thread, please.

Have a heart, Refs- for the love of all things orange and brown-

wink

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
brownie

Legend
Legend
Hate our white over brown look. But, just win

Legend
Legend

I have mixed emotions about this game.

Can not seem to come to any conclusions as to how it will play out.

I know we can score on them. No confusion there.

It really is about the defense. The defense in the last two games beat up on really poor offensive teams. That is fine that is what they should do to teams like the Bears and Texans.

The Vikings are not those teams. So, I have no feel for how we will play defensively?

The Vikings run a similar offense to us. They have good receivers and can run it. Cousins is a smart accurate quarterback who gets the ball out quickly. Unlike Fields holding the ball for 4 seconds.

The pass rush could be nullified. Pressure must still happen but we will not be getting 9 sacks on Cousins.

Dalvin Cook is a guy who can get to the endzone anytime he touches the ball.

They are home with a 1-2 record. They know what 1-3 means.

Any way you look at this game. It looks like trouble.

If the defense can hold them to 24 points. It will be up to the offense to win the game.

I am confident in the offense. Holding them to 24 or under will be hard.

Turnovers as always can decide this outcome.

P
Legend
Legend
P

Just the opposite for me. I love that uniform combo.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I dont know why but I have always been an all white uni fan. As far as the game we are the better team. Limit penalties and turn overs and we should be fine.

Joe Thomas #73
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I wonder if the Saxons started a similar thread to this 1,200 years ago…

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm guessing they most likely did. It just took it longer to spread the news. I mean they only had dial up internet service back then.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
No! No. This is beyond beating the Vikings, not confined to one game.
But! even in this one game. If the Browns throw too often, and give up on the run, it's a recipe to lose this game too.

L
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

Just the opposite for me. I love that uniform combo.

I like white over brown, also.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I like white's as well. As far as the game, if we win, it will be close. Minnesota is the type of team that can give us problems.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I am certain the color of our uniforms will be the deciding factor in this game.............. rofl

And it's not even silly season YET!

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Can't wait for kick off. I feel like this is the first true barometer of how good the team might be this year - injuries and other misfortunes aside.

KC in the first game was a brutal start to the season - for both teams to be be fair. No matter who won, it was the first game and there were teething issues and growth would be expected for both teams. Since then the Browns have beaten two teams we should have beaten.

The Vikings are a serious play off contender. This is game 4. We might still need more time for the D to gel with all the new parts. We might be missing Landry, and Wills might be dinged up a little but we are pretty healthy on O. Let's see what we have. I think we learn a lot today. Offense, Defense and coaching - play calling, scheme and adjustments.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
I hope Ski isn't too cute with plays. Remember to run and out quick 'em on offense. I do not expect a sackfest like last week.

Elf Day! brownie brownie brownie brownie brownie thumbsup

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: mgh888
Can't wait for kick off. I feel like this is the first true barometer of how good the team might be this year - injuries and other misfortunes aside.

KC in the first game was a brutal start to the season - for both teams to be be fair. No matter who won, it was the first game and there were teething issues and growth would be expected for both teams. Since then the Browns have beaten two teams we should have beaten.

The Vikings are a serious play off contender. This is game 4. We might still need more time for the D to gel with all the new parts. We might be missing Landry, and Wills might be dinged up a little but we are pretty healthy on O. Let's see what we have. I think we learn a lot today. Offense, Defense and coaching - play calling, scheme and adjustments.

Didn't Landry go to IR? I don't think he's eligible to return yet.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 14 Vikings 7 Beating the Vikings

Link Copied to Clipboard