Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by 3rd_and_20
UCal football game canceled after 44 positive Covid tests… The team is 99% Vaccinated…

https://citizenfreepress.com/breaki...e-covid-tests-the-team-is-99-vaccinated/

Full story here:

'Ongoing failure': Berkeley Dept. of Public Health pans Cal football program's 'major COVID outbreak'

https://www.sfgate.com/collegesport...-outbreak-44-cases-berkeley-16608097.php
Yeah, but the one unvaccinated dude got everyone else sick, get with the program!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: 3rd_and_20
P
Legend
Legend
P
And 90% of those dying and being hospitalized are the unvaccinated. Your point? Do you think we would be better off with mare Americans dying and hospitalized? Is that really the argument you're making here? Or can't you comprehend that's the argument you're making here?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Here is the thing about the vaccination debate, eventually, the virus will solve that for us. Looking forward to those days of enlightenment. Sorry so many will still die needlessly to get us there.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 11/12/21 03:14 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted by 40YEARSWAITING
Originally Posted by RocketOptimist
Did you get the jab
Maybe you will answer
Always scared you are

No fear, just rights.
My medical history is none of your business and is protected by law.
Want to know about my recent Colonoscopy? Thought not.
Bot that, son!

If you made the choice
We would still have polio
Let’s keep people safe

E
Legend
Legend
E
Polio vaccine prevents Polio. Covid vaccine doesn't prevent Covid. Apples Oranges. It's more similar to the Flu Shot.

No Craps Given
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
You just don’t get it
But hey you enjoy chaos
Go troll someone else

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
And 90% of those dying and being hospitalized are the unvaccinated. Your point? Do you think we would be better off with mare Americans dying and hospitalized? Is that really the argument you're making here? Or can't you comprehend that's the argument you're making here?

I think that's the argument you made up in your head.

O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
jc

I think I'll take the medical advice of actual pros and not Dr. Dumbass from the internet forums. Covid is real, it kills, and the vaccine saves lives. The rest is blah blah blah.

P
Legend
Legend
P

I think that's the argument you made up in your head.

Facts are not your friend.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
COVID-19 cases rising again in most states ahead of holidays: analysis

https://thehill.com/policy/healthca...n-most-states-ahead-of-holidays-analysis

Fewer than 100 ICU beds available across Colorado as COVID hospitalizations keep rising

COVID-19 vaccine clinics for children start Friday, state officials say

https://www.denverpost.com/2021/11/05/icu-bed-shortage-colorado-covid-hospitalizations-cases/

Everyone likes a good comeback story. But not when it's a Covid comeback. Even though some claim they have the right to avoid the very thing that keeps allowing it to come back, kill more Americans and fill up our hospitals.

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Europe is getting hammered again.

It’s all now about self responsibility. Self protection. I’m living in a world where too many people are in denial about this thing. They want it to be over. So they act like it is. They treat it as a political thing. When clearly COVID doesn’t give a rats arse.
Vaccinated or not I nor longer wish to argue. We’re all potential plague rats. It’s our own job to act in a way that chooses who we infect. Or to choose who to associate with.

I’ve ordered another load of KN95 masks for my personal use. You’ll not catch me in enclosed public settings without one for likely the next couple of years. Could be longer if this thing keep mutating and becomes more and more dangerous.

If everyone wore KN95/N95 masks religiously for a month this thing would be done. I know there’s 7billion people on the planet, which is part of the problem, but I digress, making this type of universal masking nearly impossible.
So alas here we are.

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Darwin for the win!

Legend
Legend
j/c:

From last month:

200 congressmen treated with Ivermectin…

https://citizenfreepress.com/column-3/100-200-members-of-congress-treated-with-ivermectin/

--------------------------------------------------

Nebraska AG: Docs prescribing ivermectin, hydroxychloroquine will not face discipline

https://journalstar.com/news/state-...d3dba91-7b26-5071-be2f-98ea8eb9db1c.html

P
Legend
Legend
P
Being stupid this far isn't considered a crime.

No evidence ivermectin is a miracle drug against COVID-19

https://apnews.com/article/fact-checking-afs:Content:9768999400

Fact-checking claim about the use of ivermectin to treat COVID-19

https://www.politifact.com/factchec...ng-claim-about-use-ivermectin-treat-cov/

As for 200 members being treated with a drug that does nothing for covid? There is no evidence to support this. Just some doctor Tweeting out a claim.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Speaking from personal knowledge, I know about 30 vaccinated people who caught Covid anyway.

M, J&J, P, didn't matter, they all caught it but none died. 2 were hospitalized. Ages from 30 to 80.

There was a group of 12 at a gathering, all vaccinated with one of those 3 and they all got sick. Real sick.

They then spread it to others in the 24 hours before they were tested and found it was Covid.

Some were sent for Monoclonal Antibody treatment.

The side effects ranged from loss of taste and smell, depression and brain fog.

Legend
Legend
Sad to say but unless someone asks for advice. I do not volunteer advice.
Except for my grandsons.

Since trump I have lost faith in humanity.

I listened to Dana Bash interview chris christie. It made made me sick.

Covid? Snort lysol. It matters not.

It is clear how to protect yourself. People make choices. Drugs, alcohol, food, smoking, health, education.

Legend
Legend
j/c:

FDA Won’t Release Information on Pfizer COVID Vaccine Trials for Another 55 Years – What Are They Hiding?

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/20...r-covid-vaccine-trials-another-55-years/

P
Legend
Legend
P
They must be hiding all the lives it's saving based on the vast amount of the unvaccinated covid victims that are dying.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
j/c:

FDA Won’t Release Information on Pfizer COVID Vaccine Trials for Another 55 Years – What Are They Hiding?

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/20...r-covid-vaccine-trials-another-55-years/
Probably some stuff about the Kennedy assassination in there...

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
1. That article is dripping with slant.
2. What was the nature of the FOIA request? It's typical to defer information for long periods of times when there's proprietary concerns. I don't know if that's the case here, but to compare it to my line of work, if someone made a FOIA request for R&D data related to an advanced weapon system, it would - at the very least - be delayed.
3. With the number of people who have been vaccinated in comparison to the number of side effects or incidents, how much time has to pass by before we eventually say "Okay, we're good with this."? It's been almost a year now. Two years? Five? Ten?

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
All one really needs to do is look at other articles posted at his site he's using. Here's a knee slapper for you. I'll just select a few quotes from the article to make it clear.

Wyoming GOP Votes to No Longer Recognize Liz Cheney as a Republican

Everything Liz Cheney has done in the last year has benefitted the Democrat party.

Cheney declared war on Trump and voted with the Democrats in favor of the sham impeachment against the former president.

Liz Cheney is now the vice chair of Pelosi’s January 6 committee where she harasses and hunts down Trump officials 24/7.

On the same day a grand jury indicted Steve Bannon last week, Reps Cheney and Bennie Thompson threatened criminal charges on Trump’s former White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows after he failed to appear before their sham January 6 Committee.

The Marxists on the January 6 Committee issued Meadows a subpoena because he was with Trump on January 6.

Meadows, like Bannon, defied the subpoena and was instructed by Trump to “respect long-standing principles of executive privilege.”

“Mr. Meadows’s actions today—choosing to defy the law—will force the Select Committee to consider pursuing contempt or other proceedings to enforce the subpoena,” Thompson and Cheney, vice chair of the sham panel, said in a statement Friday.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/20...-longer-recognize-liz-cheney-republican/

This place is nothing less than an anti vaxxer/Trumpian mouthpiece site.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Legend
Legend
All one really needs to do is look at other articles posted at his site he's using. Here's a knee slapper for you. I'll just select a few quotes from the article to make it clear.

Wyoming GOP Votes to No Longer Recognize Liz Cheney as a Republican

Everything Liz Cheney has done in the last year has benefitted the Democrat party.

Cheney declared war on Trump and voted with the Democrats in favor of the sham impeachment against the former president.

Liz Cheney is now the vice chair of Pelosi’s January 6 committee where she harasses and hunts down Trump officials 24/7.

On the same day a grand jury indicted Steve Bannon last week, Reps Cheney and Bennie Thompson threatened criminal charges on Trump’s former White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows after he failed to appear before their sham January 6 Committee.

The Marxists on the January 6 Committee issued Meadows a subpoena because he was with Trump on January 6.

Meadows, like Bannon, defied the subpoena and was instructed by Trump to “respect long-standing principles of executive privilege.”

“Mr. Meadows’s actions today—choosing to defy the law—will force the Select Committee to consider pursuing contempt or other proceedings to enforce the subpoena,” Thompson and Cheney, vice chair of the sham panel, said in a statement Friday.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/20...-longer-recognize-liz-cheney-republican/

This place is nothing less than an anti vaxxer/Trumpian mouthpiece site.

Okay then:

Wait what? FDA wants 55 years to process FOIA request over vaccine data

https://www.reuters.com/legal/gover...ia-request-over-vaccine-data-2021-11-18/

P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm not going to "sign up" to Reuters to read the article. What I do know is that to a degree that's very misleading. What is actually being proposed is that 500 pages a month be disclosed. Which is the typical judgement in such cases.

I understand that even with over 446 million Americans safely receiving the vaccine and over 194 million being fully vaccinated some people are searching for that needle in a haystack to keep conspiracy theories alive, and despite that, you have no evidence of there being anything "there, there". Just a question to try and raise suspicion.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Can you paste the article language, or is that forbidden? I'd still like to get responses (not necessarily from you) to the questions I asked regarding scope of the request, etc.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by dawglover05
Can you paste the article language, or is that forbidden? I'd still like to get responses (not necessarily from you) to the questions I asked regarding scope of the request, etc.

Sure thing:

Wait what? FDA wants 55 years to process FOIA request over vaccine data

https://www.reuters.com/legal/gover...ia-request-over-vaccine-data-2021-11-18/

By Jenna Greene

(Reuters) - Freedom of Information Act requests are rarely speedy, but when a group of scientists asked the federal government to share the data it relied upon in licensing Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine, the response went beyond typical bureaucratic foot-dragging.

As in 55 years beyond.

That’s how long the Food & Drug Administration in court papers this week proposes it should be given to review and release the trove of vaccine-related documents responsive to the request. If a federal judge in Texas agrees, plaintiffs Public Health and Medical Professionals for Transparency can expect to see the full record in 2076.

The 1967 FOIA law requires federal agencies to respond to information requests within 20 business days. However, the time it takes to actually get the documents “will vary depending on the complexity of the request and any backlog of requests already pending at the agency,” according to the government’s central FOIA website.

Justice Department lawyers representing the FDA note in court papers that the plaintiffs are seeking a huge amount of vaccine-related material – about 329,000 pages.

The plaintiffs, a group of more than 30 professors and scientists from universities including Yale, Harvard, UCLA and Brown, filed suit in September in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas, seeking expedited access to the records. They say that releasing the information could help reassure vaccine skeptics that the shot is indeed “safe and effective and, thus, increase confidence in the Pfizer vaccine.”

But the FDA can’t simply turn the documents over wholesale. The records must be reviewed to redact “confidential business and trade secret information of Pfizer or BioNTech and personal privacy information of patients who participated in clinical trials,” wrote DOJ lawyers in a joint status report filed Monday.

The FDA proposes releasing 500 pages per month on a rolling basis, noting that the branch that would handle the review has only 10 employees and is currently processing about 400 other FOIA requests.

“By processing and making interim responses based on 500-page increments, FDA will be able to provide more pages to more requesters, thus avoiding a system where a few large requests monopolize finite processing resources and where fewer requesters’ requests are being fulfilled,” DOJ lawyers wrote, pointing to other court decisions where the 500-page-per-month schedule was upheld.

Civil division trial lawyer Courtney Enlow referred my request for further comment to the DOJ public affairs office, which did not respond.

Plaintiffs' lawyers argue that their request should be top priority, and that the FDA should release all the material no later than March 3, 2022.

“This 108-day period is the same amount of time it took the FDA to review the responsive documents for the far more intricate task of licensing Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine,” wrote Aaron Siri of Siri & Glimstad in New York and John Howie of Howie Law in Dallas in court papers.

“The entire purpose of the FOIA is to assure government transparency,” they continued. “It is difficult to imagine a greater need for transparency than immediate disclosure of the documents relied upon by the FDA to license a product that is now being mandated to over 100 million Americans under penalty of losing their careers, their income, their military service status, and far worse.”

They also argue that Title 21, subchapter F of the FDA’s own regulations stipulates that the agency “is to make ‘immediately available’ all documents underlying licensure of a vaccine."

Given the intense public interest in the vaccine, the plaintiffs' lawyers say that the FDA “should have been preparing to release (the data) simultaneously with the licensure. Instead, it has done the opposite.”

Siri declined comment.

To meet the plaintiffs’ proposed FOIA deadline, the FDA would have to process a daunting 80,000 pages a month. But the plaintiffs note that the FDA has 18,000 employees and a budget of $6 billion and “has itself said that there is nothing more important than the licensure of this vaccine and being transparent about this vaccine.”

To be sure, most people -- including many who sanctimoniously proclaim “I do my own research” -- lack the expertise to evaluate the information.

But the plaintiffs, who also include overseas professors from the UK, Germany, Denmark, Australia and Canada, appear to be well-positioned to do so.

As Siri and Howe argue, “Reviewing this information will settle the ongoing public debate regarding the adequacy of the FDA’s review process.”

U.S. District Judge Mark Pittman has set a scheduling conference for December 14 in Fort Worth to consider the timeline for processing the documents.

Opinions expressed here are those of the author. Reuters News, under the Trust Principles, is committed to integrity, independence and freedom from bias.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think the article seems to indicate both sides have valid points. As I said earlier, there doesn't seem to be any "there, there".

#gmstrong
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
My wife got sent home to work from home again. Covid is rampant at her work with just a little over 100 employees.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
It’s back infecting the local nursing homes too. Only now the protocols banning outside visitors has been lifted. Allowing more family visitation and such. My guess is the death rates for those in care facilities is about to skyrocket again.

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
The amount of information is staggering, and since it's related to clinical trials, there's going to be tons of private medical data embedded throughout that needs to be redacted. There's also a whole mess of confidential company info.

It's really not that hard to understand. The only thing I would question is their 500-page/month limit. Seems low, but I also don't know how many other requests are going through there at once.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
That's my line of thought, too. And, I'm not even saying that 3rd and 20 is wrong either, but I think it warrants - at the very least - a much greater understanding of the bigger picture. I used to work in a sector of the Government that would get a TON of FOIA requests and we would deny some or prolong responses in a lot of cases for good reasons. The press did not publish that, though.

#gmstrong
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
jc

Most vaccinated place on Earth told to cancel holiday plans amid ‘exponential’ rise in Covid cases
Christmas plans have been put on ice for this place after a “drastic” Covid surge, despite its unbelievable 118 per cent vaccination rate.

Alex Blair

The tiny territory of Gibraltar has announced a raft of new health updates following a “drastic rise” in Covid-19 cases.

The British-owned peninsula, often referred to as “the most vaccinated place on Earth” for having inoculated the entirety of its adult population, has seen case numbers steadily rise throughout the months of October and November.

Health officials governing the 34,000-strong population believe the sudden re-emergence of the virus to be cause for concern after 124 new cases appeared over the weekend. Gibraltar has seen an average of 56 cases per day over the last seven days, compared to under 10 per day in September.

The number of active cases sits at 474 - roughly 1.3 per cent of the population - as of November 17th. The recent spike is the biggest surge the tiny populous has seen since January 2021.

Gibraltar’s vaccination rate is currently at a peculiar 118 per cent, taking into account the fully vaccinated Spaniards who travel across its border each day for work.

Despite ongoing reassurance from world governments, the widespread vaccination of populations has unfortunately failed to ease rising case numbers for some densely populated nations.

The recent spike has put Christmas plans in the firing line for Gibraltar, which has been forced to reintroduce mandatory mask laws for indoor spaces and public transport.

“The drastic increase in the numbers of people testing positive for COVID-19 in recent days is a stark reminder that the virus is still very prevalent in our community and that it is the responsibility of us all to take every reasonable precaution to protect ourselves and our loved ones,” Health Minister Samantha Sacramento said.

Gibraltar’s government has recommended civilians cancel plans going into the holiday break as the “exponential rise in cases” takes hold.

“The government intends to cancel a number of its functions including official Christmas parties, official receptions and similar gatherings,” the official release read.

“We strongly advise against any large informal social events, parties or receptions being held over at least the next four weeks.”

Civilians have been told to “take note of those who remain in close proximity to you” and to “be ready to provide this information if asked by the Contact Tracing Bureau”.

Gibraltar was lauded in March 2021 for becoming the first recognised nation to vaccinate the entirety of its eligible population. However, with a sizeable portion of the population having their second dose months ago, the government is now facing the unfortunate issue of waning immunity.

Data from Pfizer and BioNTech has revealed their Covid-19 jab’s effectiveness weakens after around five months.

An October study published in The Lancet found that while the Pfizer mRNA vaccine was 88 per cent effective at preventing infection during the first month after a second dose, it was only 47 per cent effective at preventing infection 150 days later.

Ms Sacramento reassured citizens the government had secured enough booster doses and is currently rolling out third jabs for those over 40 and the immunocompromised.

“The vaccination program for 12 to 15-year-olds and the booster vaccination program are now underway, and Gibraltar received 4680 more doses this week,” she said.

“Everyone who is eligible for a vaccine or a booster is strongly encouraged to take up the offer when they are called.”

Gibraltar has had a total of 6509 coronavirus cases and 98 deaths since the start of the pandemic. According to official data, there are currently five people in hospital, one of whom in intensive care, while a total of 440 close contacts remain in isolation.

Several other countries are also experiencing huge spikes in coronavirus transmission after opening up society following the meeting of vaccination targets.

In October, cases and deaths briefly reached new highs in Singapore, a country with vaccination coverage of 94 per cent. The population of 5.9 million recorded a whopping 25,950 new cases in the week of October 25th alone.

In Ireland, which has 92 per cent of its eligible population covered, deaths and transmission rates from the virus have roughly doubled since August.

Speaking in a November 12 address, WHO Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus shone light on the expanding Covid spread across Europe. Almost two million cases were reported in the region last week, the most seen in a single week since the beginning of the pandemic.

Dr Adhanom’s statement came as The Netherlands became the first western European country to reintroduce lockdown laws since summer, after the nation reached a new high of 16,287 infections.

“COVID-19 is surging in countries with lower vaccination rates in Eastern Europe, but also in countries with some of the world’s highest vaccination rates in Western Europe,” he said.

“It’s another reminder, as we have said again and again, that vaccines do not replace the need for other precautions. Vaccines reduce the risk of hospitalisation, severe disease and death. But they do not fully prevent transmission … no country can simply vaccinate its way out of the pandemic.”

The WHO boss turned heads in his latest address by lashing countries for stockpiling vaccine doses, declaring booster schemes a “scandal that must stop now”. Dr Adhanom also criticised countries moving towards vaccinating children as young as five when with millions of other genuinely compromised adults were still left out to dry across the globe.

Vaccine boosters have been widely encouraged by health officials in affluent countries, but as millions in the West begin to line up for their third jab, millions in Africa are still left waiting for their first.

According to WHO data, only five African countries, less than 10 per cent of the continent’s 54 nations, are expected to hit their 2021 target of fully vaccinating 40 per cent of their citizens.

“Every day, there are 6 times more boosters administered globally than primary Covid-19 vaccine doses in low-income countries. This is a scandal that must stop now,” Dr Adhanom said.

Link

The thing people have been warning about is happening, restrictions will keep going on forever. I've been saying it since last year, at some point we need to learn to live with this. Keeping people locked up forever is not a solution.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
E
Legend
Legend
E

No Craps Given
P
Legend
Legend
P
It would be easy to learn to live with if people weren't so busy dying with it.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Now the South African Super Covid is coming for us and the vaccines probably won't touch it.

“This is the most significant variant we have encountered to date and urgent research is underway to learn more about its transmissibility, severity and vaccine-susceptibility,” said U.K. HSA Chief Executive Jenny Harries.

Last edited by 40YEARSWAITING; 11/26/21 01:46 PM.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Another variant coming out of South Africa. Sparking flight/travel restrictions.
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-59418127.amp

We're back in familiar territory - growing concern about a new variant of coronavirus.
The latest is the most heavily mutated version discovered so far - and it has such a long list of mutations that it was described by one scientist as "horrific", while another told me it was the worst variant they'd seen.
It is early days and the confirmed cases are still mostly concentrated in one province in South Africa, but there are hints it may have spread further.
Immediately there are questions around how quickly the new variant spreads, its ability to bypass some of the protection given by vaccines and what should be done about it.
There is a lot of speculation, but there are very few clear answers.
So, what do we know?
The variant is called B.1.1.529 and is likely to be given a Greek code-name (like the Alpha and Delta variants) by the World Health Organization on Friday.
It is also incredibly heavily mutated. Prof Tulio de Oliveira, the director of the Centre for Epidemic Response and Innovation in South Africa, said there was an "unusual constellation of mutations" and that it was "very different" to other variants that have circulated.
"This variant did surprise us, it has a big jump on evolution [and] many more mutations that we expected," he said.
In a media briefing Prof de Oliveira said there were 50 mutations overall and more than 30 on the spike protein, which is the target of most vaccines and the key the virus uses to unlock the doorway into our body's cells.
Zooming in even further to the receptor binding domain (that's the part of the virus that makes first contact with our body's cells), it has 10 mutations compared to just two for the Delta variant that swept the world.
This level of mutation has most likely come from a single patient who was unable to beat the virus.
A lot of mutation doesn't automatically mean: bad. It is important to know what those mutations are actually doing.

But the concern is this virus is now radically different to the original that emerged in Wuhan, China. That means vaccines, which were designed using the original strain, may not be as effective.
Some of the mutations have been seen before in other variants, which gives some insight into their likely role in this variant.
For example N501Y seems to make it easier for a coronavirus to spread. There are some in there that make it harder for antibodies to recognise the virus and might make vaccines less effective, but there are others that are completely new.
Prof Richard Lessells, from the University of KwaZulu-Natal in South Africa, said: "They give us concern this virus might have enhanced transmissibility, enhanced ability to spread from person to person, but might also be able to get around parts of the immune system."

There have been many examples of variants that have seemed scary on paper, but came to nothing. The Beta variant was at the top of people's concerns at the beginning of the year because it was the best at escaping the immune system. But in the end it was the faster-spreading Delta that took over the world.
Prof Ravi Gupta, from the University of Cambridge, said: "Beta was all immune escape and nothing else, Delta had infectivity and modest immune escape, this potentially has both to high degrees."

Scientific studies in the laboratory will give a clearer picture, but answers will come more quickly from monitoring the virus in the real world.
It is still early to draw clear conclusions, but there are already signs that are causing worry.
There have been 77 fully confirmed cases in Gauteng province in South Africa, four cases in Botswana and one in Hong Kong (which is directly linked to travel from South Africa).
However, there are clues the variant has spread even more widely.
This variant seems to give quirky results (known as an S-gene dropout) in the standard tests and that can be used to track the variant without doing a full genetic analysis.
That suggests 90% of cases in Gauteng may already be this variant and it "may already be present in most provinces" in South Africa.
But this does not tell us whether it spreads faster than Delta, is any more severe or to what extent it can evade the immune protection that comes from vaccination.
It also does not tell us how well the variant will spread in countries with much higher vaccination rates than the 24% of South Africa that is fully vaccinated, although large numbers of people in the country have had Covid.
So for now we are left with a variant that raises significant concerns despite huge holes in our knowledge, and is one that needs to be watched closely and asks deep questions about what to do and when. The lesson of the pandemic is you can't always wait until you have all the answers.

[Linked Image]
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-...tate-of-emergency-to-prepare-for-omicron

NY governor declares state of emergency to prepare for Omicron
BY LEXI LONAS - 11/27/21 09:11 AM EST 1,957

New York Gov. Kathy Hochul (D) declared a state of emergency to prepare for a new coronavirus variant first identified in South Africa.

Hochul’s declaration on Friday is one of the first emergency steps taken by a state in the U.S. against the new variant, known as Omicron, whose discovery was announced Thursday.

The nation's top infectious disease expert Anthony Fauci said in an interview Friday with CNN there have been no Omicron cases detected in the U.S., although he acknowledged that doesn’t rule out the possibility the variant could be in the country.

“We continue to see warning signs of spikes in COVID this winter, and while the new Omicron variant has yet to be detected in New York State, it's coming,” Hochul said in a tweet.

The executive order, in effect until at least Jan. 15, allows non-essential procedures to be postponed in hospitals in order to increase hospital capacity.

WHO calls new strain omicron, 'variant of concern'
WTO postpones key ministers meeting over omicron variant
Hochul is urging residents to wear a mask, get vaccinated and get the booster shot to combat the new variant. At this point, however, scientists and medical professionals are racing to study the new strain to determine if current vaccines are effective in preventing severe disease.

The U.S. has already restricted travel from several southern African countries in order to mitigate the spread of Omicron.

Omicron was first detected in South Africa but has been found in several other countries including Israel and Hong Kong.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I’d like to get Lyuok back in here for his take on the new strain. Markets took a shellacking yesterday because of it.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
This new variant could be a real problem.

The longer this virus is out there. The more likely it can mutate.

This covid battle could be a long term problem.

Legend
Legend
We have lost the window of opportunity to control/ contain this disease. I believe that from this point on, well be living with this like influenza.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Covid... still... p7

Link Copied to Clipboard