Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1896931 10/27/21 03:46 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
November 2 is the trade deadline.

Will the Browns make a move? I am guessing that they will.

We need backup at tackle. I don't know who is available for trade on other teams.

Nor do I know if we would trade someone off the current roster or draft picks.

Billings has been a disappointment. He is veteran and might help some defense who needs a "A" gap player.

He really is not a fit for us. He may fit a 3-4 team better.

I wonder about receiver but I doubt it. Odell has more value to us than he would bring in trade.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Look at the bad teams and the dumb teams. A lot of times they are the same. If start with Houston, Jacksonville, and Detroit and see if they’d be willing to give up a guy cheap.

It seems like it’ll be a buyers’ market because a lot of teams don’t have cap space.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I don't really see us being able to move the people off the roster that we would want to for a price that makes sense (Billings, OBJ). I'm not sure anyone will be available for the right price that we would want to bring in. Our OTs appear to be getting healthier, so our depth (Hance) should be fine. Maybe swing for the fences on an upgrade at LB? I don't see Berry making front page news in the next week or so.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
C
Legend
Legend
C
No one would want to take OBJ’s contract at his current production level and health status.

We could use some depth on the defensive line.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't think we will make any moves. we can't move OBJ

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't think we will make very many moves. Some to consider:

Do we want/need a Qb?
I would make a Baker and next years 1st for Russell Wilson trade. This would be franchise changing.
Not sure how much more I would be willing to offer. Maybe add a 3rd. Feel I need to add this, I really like Baker but Wilson is one of the top Qb's in the league. In another thread someone pointed out that he was 32. That still gives him about 8 more years in the league.

Alternatively, would anyone be interested in firming up the backup Qb position?
If Baker is out then we have Keenum and Mullins.
Would anybody give up a midround pick for Trubisky?
A 2nd day pick for Mariotta?

What's up with Kyle Fuller?
The Denver Cb isn't even starting.
Seems like he would be available. Worth it?

N'Keal Harry?

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
Jester #1896957 10/27/21 05:59 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I doubt that any move will be made at quarterback.

Case is not guaranteed after this year.

Mariota or Trubisky would be a smart future move but not this year.

Both of them IMO would fit the offense we run. Trubisky was ruined in Chicago. Mariota would be a solid backup.

Trubisky might be one of those players who does well the second time around. He came into the NFL with so little experience.

Went to the Bears and never really had a chance.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by oobernoober
I don't really see us being able to move the people off the roster that we would want to for a price that makes sense (Billings, OBJ). I'm not sure anyone will be available for the right price that we would want to bring in. Our OTs appear to be getting healthier, so our depth (Hance) should be fine. Maybe swing for the fences on an upgrade at LB? I don't see Berry making front page news in the next week or so.

Who is the "WE" that wants to dump OBJ?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
C
Legend
Legend
C

O
Legend
Legend
O
The 'royal We'.

I've hit that point with him. I've pretty much given up on the OBJ-Baker experiment. It's been 2.5 years.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
I'll share that throne. He's not a reliable receiver unless he's getting 70% of the targets, then he'll put up decent yardage numbers and below average "per target" numbers. Enough is enough.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
I'd trade OBJ-Mayfield for Deshaun Watson straight up, if he clears his legal issues

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by boofers20
I'd trade OBJ-Mayfield for Deshaun Watson straight up, if he clears his legal issues

Obviously. But the Texans would laugh at you and then hang up the phone. OBJ has no trade value because of his contract.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I wouldn't trade a 7th for Watson right now. Those legal issues aren't going way any time soon.

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
Jester #1896999 10/27/21 10:57 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by Jester
I wouldn't trade a 7th for Watson right now. Those legal issues aren't going way any time soon.

Correct. The Dolphins allegedly have a deal in place for him once he is cleared. So they’ll get him in 2026.

1 member likes this: CapCity Dawg
cfrs15 #1897001 10/27/21 11:15 PM
Legend
Legend
So they’ll get him in 2026.

rofl

thumbsup

"too many notes, not enough music-"
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Damanshot

Who is the "WE" that wants to dump OBJ?

I would be one, but he really doesn't have much value to us or any other team given his contract. Maybe Green Bay would be interested if they could get the guy to take a pay cut.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
At this point the contract is only part of the reason OBJ has no value. His injuries and complete lack of production are factors - and while people can debate whether he's open or not, you can't debate the drops he's had in multiple games when hitting him squarely in the numbers.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
mgh888 #1897032 10/28/21 08:18 AM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted by mgh888
At this point the contract is only part of the reason OBJ has no value. His injuries and complete lack of production are factors - and while people can debate whether he's open or not, you can't debate the drops he's had in multiple games when hitting him squarely in the numbers.

When we needed him the most in crucial situations.

mgh888 #1897036 10/28/21 08:26 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by mgh888

No doubt. I just boiled it down to the contract number. I assumed that if his numbers were good, we probably wouldn't even be talking about trading him, but sure, he just isn't getting it done as a receiver.

Maybe a bit off topic, but related I think. Are any of our receivers, including tight ends doing much better from a production standpoint? Is that because they are are underwhelming? Maybe the system? The QB? Because they lose interest due to the run game? I guess that would be system.

The lack of production isn't isolated to OBJ. I think he stands out more because of his status in the eyes of NFL fans. I mean, Landry seemed more productive in Miami. Hooper in Atlanta.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I wonder if Cooks ends up with a contender … heck, maybe even us

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
We're kinda getting off topic, which I don't mind, but some might.

The system is certainly geared to spreading it around. I think at the game vs Denver Case keenum started off something like 10 passes to 7 different receivers? That's by scheme not because he's a back up. I've mentioned before Hooper had big numbers in Atlanta but there was a 'The Athletic' article or PFF article and analysis on Hooper they year he was a FA- and a lot of the receptions and yards came in garbage time for ATL. So slightly skewed.

I don't mind the reduction in production if it's part of a winning team/culture/system ... I think the issues with OBJ that we discussed are more than the system though. Just my 2 cents. I hope he's going to come back stronger, quicker than ever and contribute like we all thought he might when Dorsey got him. Just not holding my breath.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
mgh888 #1897045 10/28/21 09:07 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O
That's a good point about the scheme. IMO, Mayfield is at his best when he's distributing. When he's locking onto 1 receiver, that tends to be the same games he's not doing so well. Not sure if this is causation or correlation, but it's something I've noticed. The part about the scheme might also be true with what we saw from Keenum.

I take absolutely no pleasure in in saying what I said about OBJ (shipping him out). I've been hoping for that connection to form the whole time he's been here. I don't understand why it never happened (probably a whole host of reasons starting with injuries). Whatever the case may be, here we are 2.5 years into it with VERY little to show in terms of those two having an in-game connection, and we have a guy like DPJ that's on his way up. I really think we should shift our focus to feeding that on-field connection (if that is even what we're doing).

It's a bummer.

-PrplPplEater
L
Legend
Legend
L
If we make any moves at the deadline my hope would be LB and DT. Ours are really bad

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
There’s no doubt that Baker is at his best when he’s dishing it all over the field. That’s why we were successful when we were playing our best. Our offense is not geared to produce Pro Bowl WR numbers

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
mgh888 #1897050 10/28/21 09:16 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
More than anything else with Odell it is promise versus production.

There is no doubt that Odell has great talent. And from all who have direct experience with him. He works hard. He is a good teammate.
He wants to win more than produce numbers. His issue is health. I don't believe in "injury prone." Injuries are random.

However, Odell is susceptible because of they way he plays and what he has to rely on to be good.

He has missed a lot of games in his career. I wonder if he will ever be the player he once was?

I really think what we need most is a swing tackle. I do not like the current back up plan for RT/LT.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
...Maybe a bit off topic, but related I think. Are any of our receivers, including tight ends doing much better from a production standpoint? Is that because they are are underwhelming?

I've been beating the 'underwhelming' drum for at least two years now. Not one WR is dynamic. Either that big(ger) guy who can go get the ball...or the jitter-bug who simply gets open...AND/OR the guy to challenge the defense deep...we have none of those.

DPJ - and even Shwartz - might become one of those types...but they aren't today. I can only imagine how effective Landry and Higgins would be with a truly dynamic guy on the filed with them.

Brandin Cooks would possibly be one of those dynamic guys...but he's listed a 5'10...so he's shorter than that...shorter than Baker. I'd think he could be had.

Allen Robinson is 6' 3" and wasting away in Chicago. Not sure if he's 'available'....but he'd be my target.

Legend
Legend
Here’s my thing about OBJ right now: IS he a great talent anymore? He hasn’t made any spectacular plays or game changing plays for a long time. Most of his catches (if he does catch them) are pretty run-of-the-mill.

I will say this about him tho: he’s a good blocker in our run game

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I don't disagree.

He had one game against Dallas last year when he was a game changer.

In the offense we run. We don't need that.

Our plan is really about complimentary players. The whole not the individual.

And I am good with that plan. Because if you rely on one guy. What happens when he goes down?

Teams can take one guy away as well.

I like our offense. In addition I like receivers who win 50/50 balls. So I lean towards big receivers.

There are a few guys that are separation guys in the NFL. But I think it is easier to find those guys who can muscle db's.

Legend
Legend
something tells me we wont be making any significant moves.

think our coaching staff/FO just wants to see our team healthy for a chance, and are willing to ride this season out. we do have a good chance of starting the 2nd half the season healthy and rolling.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1897067 10/28/21 11:22 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Probably right.

Berry is not likely to trade picks for players.

One guy though who is expendable is Billings. He could help some teams as a "A" gap player.

And we could use a swing tackle for sure.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I think Hance has held up pretty well. It was when we had to start Hudson that the wheels fell off.

cfrs15 #1897080 10/28/21 12:10 PM
Legend
Legend
I agree he’s been a pleasant surprise. It’s apparent we can’t have Hudson near the field tho lol

cfrs15 #1897085 10/28/21 12:31 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Is it Hudson, or is it the fact we have both out there at the same time? IIRC, one time we put Hudson out there instead of Hance and were ok. It was when we had to start both young'ins at the same time that we had problems.

-PrplPplEater
1 member likes this: WSU Willie
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
OOBER,

When was that? Not trolling, just have 0 memory of any decent performance by Hudson.

LEADTHEWAY,

Are you that unhappy with our DTs? I've been pleasantly surprised with how competent they've been. McDowell has been disruptive, and Jackson, Billings, and Elliot have at least held up against the run pretty well. Of course it would be nice to have game-changer there, but when and where is that not true?

Browns fans are born with it...
Legend
Legend
The 'royal We'.

I've hit that point with him. I've pretty much given up on the OBJ-Baker experiment. It's been 2.5 years.

I only ask because the only folks that are talking about it are in the media...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
dnadawg #1897095 10/28/21 01:10 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by dnadawg
OOBER,

When was that? Not trolling, just have 0 memory of any decent performance by Hudson.

LEADTHEWAY,

Are you that unhappy with our DTs? I've been pleasantly surprised with how competent they've been. McDowell has been disruptive, and Jackson, Billings, and Elliot have at least held up against the run pretty well. Of course it would be nice to have game-changer there, but when and where is that not true?
Originally Posted by dnadawg
OOBER,

LEADTHEWAY,

They aren't very good.. Big drop off from Richardson to Jackson, and I like McDowell but he's not there yet.. He flashes but he also makes alot of mistakes. Billings is trash. Elliot is a decent rotation guy. But our DT's and LB's are consistently ranked in the 50's for PFF after games..so if theres a chance to upgrade there we should look at it

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
cfrs15 #1897110 10/28/21 02:50 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by cfrs15
Originally Posted by Jester

Correct. The Dolphins allegedly have a deal in place for him once he is cleared. So they’ll get him in 2096.

Fixed it for you.

dnadawg #1897112 10/28/21 02:59 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
I believe it was the Cardinals game where we had to start both Hudson and Hance together and our Oline struggled. It seems we managed to do ok in other games when we had at least 1 of our starters. This kinda makes sense (to me) because I'd imagine it's waaay easier to gameplan to cover 1 weak link vs 2.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/arti...rade_for_andre_dillard/s1_16748_36267284

I could see this happening.

Hubard is mostly likely done in Cleveland. Dillard was a first rounder with promise. He is still young.

If the Browns decide to keep Njoku. Bryant is expendable.

So yes this could be real. It makes sense.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Trade Deadline

Link Copied to Clipboard