Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Oh boy ...............

My computer had all kinds of weirdness happening with regards to the video, so I bought an overpriced video card to replace the one in it.

*Sigh* New release RTX 1050 Ti ... a card that was originally released oh ... 5 years ago. It's a good enough card for what I need, though. Cost me about $100 more than the card was sold for in its original iteration.

It took me about an hour, plus time watching several YouTube videos just to figure out how to release the card. I finally figured it out, and set about replacing the card.

I took the old one out, with only minimal (20 minutes) reaching the release clip under the card. OK .... this is all set now!

I went to put the new card in, and could not get it to seat. I must have looked at that darn thing for 2 hours. Finally I put it aside, and left it for today.

Today I looked at the card really closely. The card is entirely black, and there was a black sleeve over the part that inserts into the board. I completely missed it. banghead Funny how much easier it slid in there today. rofl

Bad news is that the system won't even post. Ugh!

I don't know what's worse .... that the computer won't even post, or that I had to lift this monstrosity 6 or 7 times. crazy

Oh well, time to buy another cheapie Dell server so I can just stick the SSD from my current system into it, and continue like nothing happened.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
O
Legend
Legend
O
rofl I feel your pain. I was in my early 40s when I first learned to code. Don't believe for a second that age, mostly due to our education back then, made this very frustrating. First, I had to learn the lingo just to decipher the lessons. Then all the technical words/names started to confuse me before the awesome realization that every little niche in coding has its own terminology usually based on the language you are working with. Then some of these niches use the exact same terms that mean something completely different in another... smh. So, I finally learn my first web languages PHP, html, and css at the same time... then make a static web page, wondering why I learned PHP... but I put it up on a shared hosting server, typed in the domain, waited almost 6 minutes for the page to load, got a good look at this jank webpage AND was proud as hell.

Several languages later and after watching web 2.0, social media, apps, web apps, and thousands of other field related advancements all become things... And I still get to learn something new, re-learn something old (or look it up), and spend time banging my head almost every day. You worked in this kind of tech so you should already know this. wink

EDIT: and I built a new rig last year after retiring one with an almost ten-year-old military grade MOBO... It had been at least six years since I built one new and up to date with current tech in stores like microcenter. Man, it was rough. Took about three six-hour sessions and almost a year later I am still having issues with the driver on the built in Bluetooth.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 11/17/21 01:30 AM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
When I did tech support for the dealership I worked at, I probably spent 2-3 hours/day, often my own time, researching all of the latest bugs and malware.

But, I could fix almost anything. wink

Now I can't remember the last time I read a MS bulletin ......

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Remember the days before all this screen tech? Really before home PCs took off, remember? ... Those were easier days.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 11/17/21 01:43 AM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
In many ways they were ..... but in so many ways, tech has also made our lives much easier.

I suppose there are problems with almost everything in life at one point or another.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... I am ashamed that I once did tech work

Link Copied to Clipboard