Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
Legend
Legend
A
It was just a cheap shot. Ignore it, and him. He's as agenda driven as some others.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Actually, it was a joke. Did you and arch question guys like Pit, Purp, steve, and others when they threw in Watson's name to threads that had absolutely nothing to do w/him. For example, remember bone's thread about Wood's defensive scheme and someone was talking about the defensive lineman from Michigan State and Fate said something about him running naked in the streets. Then, Pit brought up something about Watson and massage parlors or when a Georgia DT was accused of domestic violence and Purp made a crack about given recent events, we will draft him in the second and Pit liked that post.

I get you like Baker and I respect that, but please, my joke wasn't even close to being as offensive as the aforementioned posts. Play fair.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Wow, do you keep a list by your computer so you can .................eh.

V
Legend
Legend
V
No arch. I am intelligent and possess a great memory. These things occurred recently. Hell, on the Bake Show thread, steve trashed our head coach and the entire organization while defending Baker. But, no one said he has an agenda. Double standards.

And again, it was a joke w/my "Baker" comment. You can let it go or not. If you want to fight, I'm out.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Dave
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Originally Posted by Dave

Baker?

Seriously?

who else ? that was fun humor !

Damn you all need to eat some gummys and chill !!!

Seriously !

V
Legend
Legend
V
Thank you. It was a joke.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hell yes it was !

A
Legend
Legend
A
Fair enough. But, you've been anti Baker for a long time. Your jibes don't sit well with me. dude's gone, or will be. Just like you left, only to come back to give it to others once we all knew he was gone.

DW better put up phenomenal numbers, IF he can play. You've asserted and insisted that Baker was the problem and DW is the answer............we'll find out. THis year, or next year....

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
Fair enough. But, you've been anti Baker for a long time. Your jibes don't sit well with me. dude's gone, or will be. Just like you left, only to come back to give it to others once we all knew he was gone.

DW better put up phenomenal numbers, IF he can play. You've asserted and insisted that Baker was the problem and DW is the answer............we'll find out. THis year, or next year....

Arch, my friend.. This was done by the FO and coaches, not us fans for or against Baker... It's football bro..every team since the game started has dealt with this kind of stuff.

Not coming out of your pocket book...

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by archbolddawg

I can work w/this. Thanks for no insults. You are right in that I did not like Baker from the start. Some folks try to make it about the flag planting and I am an OSU homer. That' did not really didn't bother me at all. I thought it was immature and classless, but I was not offended in the slightest. If you noticed, I have started a thread about DPJ and Ojabo, both Tun guys. I could care less about what team guys played for in college. It's a freaking game!

What I did not like was how Baker behaved and how others thought of him. The throwing into the TCU guys entering the field was so chicken-[censored]. Surrounded by your teammates and you try and hurt someone? Gross. Then, the Kansas players refusing to shake his hand. I ask "why?' Then, in the same game, he grabs his crotch on national TV. He, and his father rip Texas Tech's coaches because Kingsbury wanted him to compete for the starting job. He comes to the NFL, rips Duke, slanders Hue, rips guys like Daniel Jones, the Texas qb who is still in college, etc, etc. Reports are out there that he refused to throw to an open OBJ because he wanted to be the center of attention, etc, etc. His wife says our receivers suck on twitter, but all ignore that and instead focus on OBJ's dad's comments. Teammates have spoken up for OBJ. They have not spoken up for Baker. Folks on here said OBJ was washed up and yet he went to LA and balled. Landry digressed w/Baker. So did Hooper.

Look arch.............I have not been in favor of many moves the Browns of have made over time. However, when I am wrong, I admit it. I forget the name of the safety who lit up Chad Johnson and Leon attacked afterwards, but I said that was an awful move when we acquired him. I changed my mind when I saw him play and he wasn't all that great. I hated the Shanny hiring because I was uneducated about him. I thought he got his first job due to nepotism. I rapidly changed my mind and to this day, I think he is the most brilliant mind in football. I did not like the Stefanski hire, but this guy is from the Shannahan/Kubiak tree and is a great schemer. I loved Dorsey and still am appreciative of all of his good moves. I was almost ready to move on, but Berry has won me over. He's very good. I changed my mind.

Some folks blame everyone else but Baker and refuse to accept they were wrong. If Stefanski was so bad, the talent of the Browns offense was so lacking, and the FO was so stupid..................why in the hell are not other teams w/intelligent football minds not jumping all over Baker? I think I know why. He isn't all that great as a qb and he is polarizing in the locker room. Not much of a team guy and teams are reluctant to go down that path.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 04/27/22 11:00 PM.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Bard Dawg
I will place DD on a totally different level. He is much better than Zegura. I will miss you. DD! Thanks for the fine analysis and contributions you brought to the Browns!

I don't know. I think Zegura will be just fine.

The color guy is fill. The play by play guy is the "show". The color guy talks for about 15 seconds between the end of the play and the break of the huddle.

Like anything Zugura will grow in to the role as he and Donovan gain their mojo together.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Actually, it was a joke. Did you and arch question guys like Pit, Purp, steve, and others when they threw in Watson's name to threads that had absolutely nothing to do w/him. For example, remember bone's thread about Wood's defensive scheme and someone was talking about the defensive lineman from Michigan State and Fate said something about him running naked in the streets. Then, Pit brought up something about Watson and massage parlors or when a Georgia DT was accused of domestic violence and Purp made a crack about given recent events, we will draft him in the second and Pit liked that post.

I get you like Baker and I respect that, but please, my joke wasn't even close to being as offensive as the aforementioned posts. Play fair.

The first sentence of your reply answered the question I was asking - literally. I don't typically need purple font or winking emojis, but I was on low wattage from waking before 5 am yesterday morning. It was a dumb question on my part, but your response was a bit overreactive.

I was actually interested in speculation about who the players were that turned it down. My thought was we already know Joe Thomas was one on them. My other possibilities are Bernie Kosar, Tim Couch, Hanford Dixon, and Brian Brennan. Very curious about which one of them turned it down because of Watson.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yes, my post was an overreaction because I clicked on your name. I didn't like the "agenda" comment that followed your post. I should not have went off and temporarily derailed the thread. I was wrong. I'm sorry.

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
No worries.

Legend
Legend
Congrats to Nate and to Kaila. He has wanted this job for a while now and worked his ass off for a chance to get it, and Kaila is over the moon happy for her hubby.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
1 member likes this: Ballpeen
Legend
Legend
Congrats to Zegura. I hope he dials his cheerleader/positivity act down a few notches and really focuses on being a color analyst. We’ll see how he transitions!

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
1 member likes this: bigdatut
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by GMdawg
Congrats to Nate and to Kaila. He has wanted this job for a while now and worked his ass off for a chance to get it, and Kaila is over the moon happy for her hubby.

I agree. The guy has worn several hats in his effort to work up the chain. He deserves the job.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
Congrats to Zegura. I hope he dials his cheerleader/positivity act down a few notches and really focuses on being a color analyst. We’ll see how he transitions!

This. I'm NOT a Zegura fan for this reason, but I'll give him an honest shot. It's also not really fair to him (for lack of a better word) to be viewed as Dieken's replacement. That's a tall order. I do give him respect for working his way up the chain, though.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
L
Legend
Legend
L
Man of all the people they could have picked, they went with Zegura..man I can't stand more than 5 minutes listening to him, I can't even imagine he has enough football insight to be a color man. Doug was great because he knew what he was looking at and could talk to it. They def. should have gotten a football guy to do color

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
P
Legend
Legend
P
No arch. I am intelligent and possess a great memory.

Almost sounds like Trump's stable genius BS. rofl

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by oobernoober

This. I'm NOT a Zegura fan for this reason, but I'll give him an honest shot. It's also not really fair to him (for lack of a better word) to be viewed as Dieken's replacement. That's a tall order. I do give him respect for working his way up the chain, though.

It's nice you are going to give him an honest shot...lol....not making fun. What we think probably doesn't matter a whole lot. I doubt the radio ratings are going to move a whole lot one way or the other no matter what people think. Either you want to listen to the game or you don't.

And for that matter, how many people here actually listen to games on the radio all that much? That is a honest question. I don't live in radio range...I have tried to listen via streaming while watching games, but you can't get things synced up. It's annoying to hear things before or after you see them. It seems the days of blackouts are over. It's not like when I was young and living up there when home games were never on television.

Also, more a rant I suppose, I don't like that games went over to 92.3 some years ago. When heading home after games early on Monday mornings, it seems the signal fades down a little past Medina. I know there is a network of stations that if planned you could still find the game broadcast, but you don't get the Monday morning coverage.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Is there a way to stream the station through your phone? I run into the same problem heading back to PA

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
92.3 and 850 both have terrible signals.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
O
Legend
Legend
O
lol, yeah... I am well aware how much weight my opinion carries on this.

I do sometimes have to fall back on the radio (being here in Cinci). I don't have cable and I will not shell out money to NFL for their piss-poor streaming package.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Is there a way to stream the station through your phone? I run into the same problem heading back to PA

I don't think they live stream game broadcasts, but you can hear pregame, postgame, and day-to-day station broadcast content on their app at:

https://www.audacy.com/923thefan/listen#schedule

Legend
Legend
Thanks Dave

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
And for that matter, how many people here actually listen to games on the radio all that much? That is a honest question.

I listen to the Browns Radio Network every game with the TV volume off, if their is a delay or the timing's off I deal with it. Have done so for years. I'd rather hear the Browns game from the "Browns guys" no matter if it's Jim Nantz, Al Michaels or the #5 network broadcast team.

My biggest complaint with the radio network is that they've pretty much written off the Warren/Youngstown market in recent years. I know the last two seasons the sole station in the market is AM 1200, which, on a sunny day without a cloud in the sky, can be heard several hundred feet around courthouse square in Warren. Thankfully I can pick up 97.5 out of Akron clearly.

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
Legend
Legend
Yeah, I can't pick up 92.3 in Champion, which is a whopping 40 miles from their station.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by FATE
Yeah, I can't pick up 92.3 in Champion, which is a whopping 40 miles from their station.

Try 98.5 WNCX. They broadcast the game along with 850 and 92.3

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Milk Man
Originally Posted by FATE

Try 98.5 WNCX. They broadcast the game along with 850 and 92.3
Wow. That's a go-to and a preset for classic rock but I had no idea they broadcast the Browns!

Thanks!

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
I wish the Browns organization would have hired a ex player instead of Zegura.
Zegura is too much of a homer, ra-ra guy for my taste. Every player on the the Browns
Is awesome , the Browns are a SB contending team blah blah blah
He can exclaim all the analytics and fantasy stats all day long.
But I want to hear from a ex players perspective, not a football poindexter.

1 member likes this: THROW LONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper
I wish the Browns organization would have hired a ex player instead of Zegura.
Zegura is too much of a homer, ra-ra guy for my taste. Every player on the the Browns
Is awesome , the Browns are a SB contending team blah blah blah
He can exclaim all the analytics and fantasy stats all day long.
But I want to hear from a ex players perspective, not a football poindexter.

That was his job. This job is different.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
That's what I was thinking. I don't know that he will be any better about it but I'm certainly not going to jump to the conclusion that he will be the same either. The role he has held is being a paid spokesperson for the Browns. Bought and paid for. His new job description is totally different. I think a wait and see approach is best.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
Agreed. And if he's like most of us at a new job, his first year will be a learning year, and each year after he'll get better and better.

Legend
Legend
I agree. His old job was to be a rah-rah guy. This should (hopefully) be a much different gig.

Legend
Legend
I agree. His old job was to be a rah-rah guy. This should (hopefully) be a much different gig.

There will likely be some hangover from the old job as he transitions, so folks can probably expect some rah-rah early on, but I'd expect that by mid-season he'll find more of his own voice... pending what the producers want, of course.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater

There will likely be some hangover from the old job as he transitions, so folks can probably expect some rah-rah early on, but I'd expect that by mid-season he'll find more of his own voice... pending what the producers want, of course.

He's a local announcer so what producers will probably want is the full homer.

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Originally Posted by cfrs15
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater

He's a local announcer so what producers will probably want is the full homer.

Dieken was a homer, because that's the gig. Same for Donovan. All the broadcasters know who their employer is (it's the Browns).

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL.........no doubt.

I know I am in the minority here.....[shocker] but I like to listen to national broadcasts over local ones. I prefer a more objective take on things than the homer driven calling of games. I came to that realization a long time ago whenTommy Heinsohn was calling the Boston Celtic's games and was such an obnoxious, whining, one-sided color man. OMG!!!

In a related note, I will watch a game on national TV and think the announcing was fair and then come on here and view a dozen or more posts about how biased the announcers were for the other team. It's comedic relief.

B
Legend
Legend
B
It is ironic how people complain how the Browns get no love, then complain when they do.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Doug Dieken retiring from the broadcast booth

Link Copied to Clipboard