Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
O
Legend
Legend
O
I mostly agree with you, and I acknowledge I'm no arbiter about how/if things are posted here. IMO, splitting the convos makes for better discussion on both topics and so it was a good move. I am unaware that Tailgate is some sort of back alley when it comes to the forums on here. If it is, then mea culpa.

I can't speak to the refs' decision to leave it alone. I agree with you that the topic of NFL suspension sufficiently blurs the lines. If I wanted to argue, I'd say that the least talked-about portion of Watson coming here has been the part about NFL suspension.

Well, the opinions do matter to me (and others). Otherwise nobody would post here. Splitting the convos was intended as a helpful improvement.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
E
Legend
Legend
E
I just find him hard to believe. And when he pleaded the 5th it pretty much told me he's been lying. Man I just hope we don't get screwed by this deal. He's such a good kid and excellent football player but this can be a sickness that he won't be able to control as he is refusing any help saying he never did anything wrong to seek help.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Originally Posted by FATE
j/c...

Everyone may as well get used to the fact that "Pure Football" and Deshuan Watson won't peacefully co-exist for a while. I tend to agree with OCD, although I don't think the Tailgate Section would dissuade anyone who wanted to read. At least if you opt out from reading, you know you're opting out of "non-football" talk there.

It is what it is, and unless Purp writes an algorithm that will sort out the laundry into categories, skimming for real football talk will be a chore for a while.

I've found the "ignore" feature useful.

I like you Fate. Always have, even when you irritated me. However, OCD said it was "shameful" to not want the legal matters not posted in "Pure Football." The forum descriptions clearly state that the police blotter talk belongs in the Tailgate forum. The Pure Football forum description speaks about how the topics should be about pure football. We have several posters who are butt hurt that Baker is being displaced and are acting like the judge and jury of a criminal trial that does not even exist. Here is what is shameful, bro. Folks not honoring the innocent until proven guilty mandate that is a law in our great nation. It is shameful to assign blame when one doesn't know the all the facts. It is shameful to not keep an open mind and allow the legal system to run its course. It is shameful to be so shallow that one can't admit they were wrong about a certain player and feel some perverted need to trash anyone who points out the reality of the situation.

You're back a week and telling me how to post. I didn't miss you, but you know that. Let's keep things good in here and not address each other. And I'll post what I want, you don't like it, go away again.

I'm not bashing DW, but it all needs to be discussed. Unlike you and some others, many fans/posters have a real issue with this signing that is very much pure football.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 04/01/22 02:29 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
1 member likes this: atgolds
O
Legend
Legend
O
PSA FOR ALL POSTERS: Vers and I don't get along. I don't consider him good/bad/other; we simply just don't get along. That said, he has a habit of trying to control what gets posted like it's something personal. I just want you all to know, YOU do YOU. Vers is a good 'football knowledge' poster, but his opinions on what you should or should not post don't carry any weight whatsoever, nobody but the mods and Purp have that power.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
PSA FOR ALL POSTERS: Vers and I don't get along. I don't consider him good/bad/other; we simply just don't get along. That said, he has a habit of trying to control what gets posted like it's something personal. I just want you all to know, YOU do YOU. Vers is a good 'football knowledge' poster, but his opinions on what you should or should not post don't carry any weight whatsoever, nobody but the mods and Purp have that power.

But Purp did set guidelines for what should be posted in which forum. Police blotter related stuff is supposed to go in Tailgate according to those guidelines. He's not so much trying to control what you post, but, like many of us, he'd like to see certain things in the place that it has been indicated by the powers that be that they are supposed to go.

Some of us get annoyed when rules and guidelines are ignored. Sometimes we don't feel like reading about anything but pure, on the field football. That is supposed to be what this forum is for. When our pure football is tainted, it can make bad moods worse.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
L
Legend
Legend
L
This is EXACTLY why I’d prefer that Watson’s legal issues be talked about in Tailgate. I’d like to read more on how we can utilize him along with the skill players and OL we have, but it’s boring and feels like a time-waster to scroll through a thread and see nothing except arguments over 22 alleged victims, a looming suspension, the endless merry-go-round.

Just my opinion.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
At this point, the Browns don't know who their starting QB is going to be when the season starts and that is a football subject that has been discussed in Pure Football since I've been a member of this board.

There have been stories in newspapers, magazines on the internet, on pod casts and blogs and all of those stories concerning the Browns problem of not knowing who their starting QB will be on opening day...THOSE STORIES ARE ON NFL SPORTS PAGES, all around the United States...and not on the local police blotter of your local newspaper.

There is absolutely no reason the Watson story should be treated differently by DAWGTALK than it is treated in all the other locations I named above.. What the hell are some of you afraid of and why are you so bent on changing where the Browns QB situation is discussed..?

Last edited by mac; 04/01/22 05:06 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
O
Legend
Legend
O
Imthebossofeveryone returned to the board. Standby to be criticized for siding with me on this one. Somebody will be along shortly to tell you.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
OCD...do think I give a rats behind about being "criticized" for agreeing with you or anyone, for that matter...lol grin

I'm just not a follower..never have been, and I have had enough experience in life to feel comfortable with my views as well as the views of some others, in some cases. thumbsup

1 member likes this: OldColdDawg
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
There is so much information that is available if folks are willing to search for it. I don't see how this can be good for Watson and the Browns unless it is simply overlooked by the NFL and the former U.S. District Court Judge Sue Robinson, the act as an impartial arbitrator in disciplinary cases like Watson’s.

IMO, this might be a tough sell to convince the Judge...

Deshaun Watson Admits Sexual Encounters with Masseuses, Always ‘Consensual’

Alicia larocca, April 9, 2021
link

Deshaun Watson‘s attorney says the QB admits he had sexual encounters with some of his massage therapists over the years — but insists it was always consensual.

“Were there consensual encounters? Yes,” Watson’s attorney, Rusty Hardin, said Friday while addressing the media.

A reporter followed up with this question — “So, you’re saying on Instagram, Deshaun reached out to some of these women booking a legitimate massage and then engaged in consensual sex acts with some of these women?”

Hardin’s response: “On some occasions, some sexual activities would have taken place,”

“I’m not going into what it is, or the nature, or the numbers, or with whom but I think you can rightfully assume that.”

“The question that we have always been emphasizing, never at any time under any circumstances … did this young man ever engage in anything that was not mutually desired by the other party.”

The point of Hardin’s news conference was to point out that Deshaun deserves a fair shot to defend himself in court instead of letting the case play out in the media.

Hardin’s defense team explained why they believe Watson is a good man who never crossed the line with any of the accusers.

But, several questions remain … specifically regarding the now confirmed sexual activity with various massage therapists.

Hardin explained Watson gets roughly 150 massages per year to keep his body in prime shape for his job as an NFL quarterback.

He also said it’s not unusual for millennials to use Instagram to find businesses to patronize … including massage therapists.

Hardin says another reason Watson used Instagram as a tool to find massage therapists is because COVID made it difficult to find a regular masseuse.

When asked what Deshaun’s reaction has been to the mounting lawsuits, Hardin put it this way:

“He’s dumbfounded. He’s truly dumbfounded.”

“If you’re the average citizen that’s never been caught up in anything, this is insane. That’s really his reaction.”

“When I told him of that first allegation and the third lawsuit that somehow he used force or something, I didn’t know him at the time, when I told him he was in disbelief.”

“He asked me two or three times, ‘I forced her?!’ and then he just started crying. That’s his reaction and that the thing for yall to remember. we don’t cry about things that we did.”

For more updates check below links and stay updated with News AKMI.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by mac
OCD...do think I give a rats behind about being "criticized" for agreeing with you or anyone, for that matter...lol grin

I'm just not a follower..never have been, and I have had enough experience in life to feel comfortable with my views as well as the views of some others, in some cases. thumbsup

Hey mac, long time, no see. I am not going to criticize you for your position. I objected to OCD calling my claim "shameful." He comes back w/be prepared to be criticized. I don't know........calling someone "shameful" seems rather critical.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 04/01/22 09:42 PM.
O
Legend
Legend
O
It was. I meant it.

B
Legend
Legend
B
To me, the biggest thing Watson will bring is his ability to use his feet. If you are playing with a QB who can't make things happen when he runs, you are playing with one less weapon.

It's just one more thing that a defense has to defend. To somewhat defend that, teams will have to have a spy or sit in a zone D. It will be important that we have receivers who are adept and finding the soft spots in the zone.

Once we have that, we are going to be pretty tough.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
peen..As everyone knows, in the NFL it can be detrimental to their health if a QB relies on his legs too much.

I have a saying that pertains to running QBs..."they run until they can't run...then they have to learn how to throw from the pocket"....

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Fiercely Independent.
2 members like this: DeisleDawg, Versatile Dog
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Yeah! That's what I'm talking about.

That's my quarterback, that's my teammate.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by mac

Hey mac, long time, no see. I am not going to criticize you for your position. I objected to OCD calling my claim "shameful." He comes back w/be prepared to be criticized. I don't know........calling someone "shameful" seems rather critical.

vers...I didn't go anywhere..I've been right here...I thought you were gone for good.

I do see that some of your old habits have not changed and that's a bit disappointing, imo.

Getting hung up on a word, such as "shameful"... I have to laugh at that when I think about some of the creative language used on this board in the back and forth conversations that occur almost daily...shameful is rather mild, imo.

This message board has been functioning as good or better than it ever has as the moderators have allowed the board's subject matter and discussions to flow without interruption. It seems that we have fewer arguments and less needless bickering over "stupid stuff" and hopefully fewer complaints in the fan feedback forum...though there is no way to know how many are complaining to the Refs via private message.

vers...speaking for myself, your knowledge of football is welcomed..but my discussion of the Browns current QB "mess" will continue, right here in Pure Football, if the moderators allow it. The DawgTalk moderators and owner run this message board and they are doing a good job, imo.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by mac
peen..As everyone knows, in the NFL it can be detrimental to their health if a QB relies on his legs too much.

I have a saying that pertains to running QBs..."they run until they can't run...then they have to learn how to throw from the pocket"....

Right. And this guy knows how to do both.

In case you missed the last 10 or so years, QB's aren't big clods back there like when Bernie played. They have been running since middle school football.

Also, QB's have been getting racked up while standing in the pocket for decades, so I don't see any difference. Also, I'd bet more QB's still get hurt more in the pocket than outside.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
peen...really..?

Tom Brady....that guy sure runs a lot, doesn't he..?

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by mac
peen...really..?

Look at all the QB's under 30 or so. If that is the basis of your argument, you lose.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Originally Posted by mac
peen...really..?

Look at all the QB's under 30 or so. If that is the basis of your argument, you lose.

peen... poke...lol.. tsktsk

So now you move the goal post and begin to add "stipulations" like QBs under 30 or so, in an attempt to discredit the most successful QB in NFL history...

Pocket Passer, Tom Brady

V
Legend
Legend
V
Good points. What's crazy is that Watson is a very good passer from the pocket and Baker sucks at it.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by mac
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Originally Posted by mac
peen...really..?

peen... poke...lol.. tsktsk

So now you move the goal post and begin to add "stipulations" like QBs under 30 or so, in an attempt to discredit the most successful QB in NFL history...

Pocket Passer, Tom Brady

I didn't move anything. In my first post I said if you haven't noticed that over the last 10 years things have changed. Brady has been around a lot longer than that.

It's not my fault you haven't noticed and bring up old Tom Brady. And Tom Brady isn't the one I discredit.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Good points. What's crazy is that Watson is a very good passer from the pocket and Baker sucks at it.

He is and Baker does..

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
So watsons attorney said it shouldn't be played out in the media while he's playing it out in the media. Makes perfect sense. lmao

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by tastybrownies
That's my quarterback, that's my teammate.

When did the Browns sign you to play?

rofl

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Originally Posted by mac

Watson is definitely not a run first QB. He can run, but that is not his game.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
P
Legend
Legend
P
You do realize that "old Tom Brady" is considered by almost everyone as the GOAT, right?

I'm really not disagreeing with you that the trend in the NFL hasn't been leading to more mobile QB's. To me that much is obvious. The issue that has not as of yet been resolved is how long will these more mobile QB's stand the test of time from a health standpoint? And it's certainly not going to be a one size fits all answer to that question.

You have less accurate mobile QB's like Lamar Jackson who has to depend on his legs more. Then you have QB's like watson who can perform well from the pocket and have mobility as a second option. A QB like watson has a a far greater likelihood of standing the test of time than someone like Lamar Jackson imo

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
You do realize that "old Tom Brady" is considered by almost everyone as the GOAT, right?

Really? I didn't know that. superconfused

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
By reading your comments it was hard to tell one way or the other.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
I didn't move anything. In my first post I said if you haven't noticed that over the last 10 years things have changed. Brady has been around a lot longer than that.

It's not my fault you haven't noticed and bring up old Tom Brady. And Tom Brady isn't the one I discredit.

peen....did Tom Brady play in the last 10 years?

That is why I mentioned him as an example of a successful NFL QB who didn't have to rely on his legs to generate a successful passing game. As a result of Brady's style, being a pocket passer has led to Brady extending his career to 22 seasons, though he did injury a knee in the first game of the 2008 season, missing the entire season.

There is no doubt that a QB who is mobile can escape pressure by using his legs, but there is risk of injury involved.

Protect your QB via the OLine..give him the best offensive weapons...devise a core offensive strategy that relies on moving the sticks/making first downs...and practice the offense until everyone knows there assignment and executes without hesitation. These basic elements can help to protect your QB better than simply hoping your QB can outrun defenders.

jmho

Last edited by mac; 04/02/22 12:28 PM.

Legend
Legend
Brady ran a 5.28 40 before he was drafted and only got slower as he aged. He couldn't make a living with his legs if he wanted to grin

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Damn, I never read about that part with the towel, that's kind of weird. What if the towel he brought was significantly smaller than the standard issue used for a massage? shocked

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by tastybrownies
Damn, I never read about that part with the towel, that's kind of weird. What if the towel he brought was significantly smaller than the standard issue used for a massage? shocked

Maybe DW loves poetry and read Charles Bukowski, as in your sig !

Being a Browns fan falls under your sig !

I'll support DW weird or not ! I don't know one not weird person in my life ever !

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by lampdogg
This is EXACTLY why I’d prefer that Watson’s legal issues be talked about in Tailgate. I’d like to read more on how we can utilize him along with the skill players and OL we have, but it’s boring and feels like a time-waster to scroll through a thread and see nothing except arguments over 22 alleged victims, a looming suspension, the endless merry-go-round.

Just my opinion.

My preference was only for separate threads (per your point above). Both topics are important and both need space to breathe. If being relegated to the Tailgate is some Scarlet letter for conversation topics, then we can move the other thread to PF if people want. To me, the best conversation will happen while the two topics remain as separate as possible.

Regarding Watson the football player: dude is absolutely an upgrade at the position. He's what Lamar Jackson (and by extension, Harbaugh) dreams himself to be.

I was wondering about something about him and how we expect him to do, and I was hoping someone with the knowledge could chime in.

So it's well known that Watson has never played with the Oline and running game that we have here. Obviously, both of those are going to make his life easier (teams have to account for Chubb/Hunt in the backfield/deadly PA, and the Oline is going to give him cleaner pockets than he's seen probably since college). But the flip side is that he's also played with better pass-catchers than it looks like we're going to give him this year (DeAndre + Will Fuller + they had a decent TE catching passes vs Amari, ?, and Njoku). So how does that +/- work out on the field? Do they sorta cancel each other out? Does the WR situation not really matter, to an extent, when you have a QB like Watson back there?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
H
All Pro
All Pro
H
People, people, people. The “Innocent til proven guilty” trope has nothing to do with anything outside a court of law. And the same trope can be very often wrong. So, let’s stop trotting it out there.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Hamfist
People, people, people. The “Innocent til proven guilty” trope has nothing to do with anything outside a court of law. And the same trope can be very often wrong. So, let’s stop trotting it out there.

I'd say a foundational principle of our criminal justice system is not a trope.

1 member likes this: FL_Dawg
P
Legend
Legend
P
And what does it have to do with outside a court of law? Corporations often avoid people with bad reputations like the plague. They lose endorsements, contracts and nobody wants anything to do with them.

And how exactly does one determine the guilt or innocence of someone in a he said/she said" case? That may not be what's considered enough evidence for a conviction, but does that really determine which one is lying and which one isn't? All that principal you speak of provides for is that someone is found not guilty. Not that they're proven innocent. It simply means that not enough evidence was brought forth to determine guilt. In a he said/she said case you have to look at other factors to make a decision in your own mind. O.J. was found not guilty and almost nobody believes he was innocent.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
And what does it have to do with outside a court of law? Corporations often avoid people with bad reputations like the plague. They lose endorsements, contracts and nobody wants anything to do with them.

The NFL is the modern equivalent of gladiatorial games. No one went to the arena to see moral pillars of society. People go to see the carnage, mayhem, and spectacle.

The NFL isn't providing a physical product and the employees aren't directly providing service to customers. The employees are violent entertainers.

They provide an outlet for humanity's baser instincts.

If your business doesn't want associated with violence, they probably shouldn't be working with football in the first place.

People tend to lose sight of that aspect of football, but it is what it is.

I half expect Watson to pick up endorsements from Trojan and the gambling establishment any day now.

Fiercely Independent.
O
Legend
Legend
O
IMO, the reality lies somewhere in between those two extremes. I just am struggling to figure out where (and why).

No, NFL athletes in general aren't beacons of morality. But the Watson situation is/could push the limit of what we are willing to tolerate. While we (NFL fans in general) seem to be pretty tolerant of bad/criminal behavior, I also see a large portion of the fanbase drawing a line in the sand. What's more, that line is being drawn without a lot of evidence, and in such a way that a LOT of current NFL athletes have already crossed. I'm not trying to debate where different people put that line, but want to know why.

-PrplPplEater
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Deshaun Watson Continued.....

Link Copied to Clipboard