Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Since the free agency thread have been closed or about to be closed (10 pgs long)...I combined both the Browns and NFL free agency news.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
mac writes: Cooks production in outdoor games, in weather is similar to what he might experience in Cleveland during Nov/Dec/Jan...I have to ask if Cooks is a fair weather WR..?

Hammer responded: He was a 1000 yard receiver with 7 TDs in New England in 2017.

Hammer...what I was researching was Cooks performance in games that occurred in Nov/Dec/Jan..the cold weather months in weather conditions that might be similar to what the Browns play in during Nov/Dec/Jan.

I decided to use Cook's stats from 2017, when he was 26 and playing the Patriots and Tom Brady at QB.

Below is the break down..targets and receptions caught my attention...Cooks was targeted 54 times and caught 28 passes...catching just 52% of the targeted passes. Now this is just one season, his 4th season in the NFL and he may have improved his play in colder weather over the last 4 seasons...but hopefully the Browns take a good look at his tendancies.

..date.....team.....temp..wnd...tgts..rec..yds..td..lng..
..Nov 12...Denver...48*...5......11....6....74...0....27..
..Dec 3.....Buffalo...48*...13....3......2....17...0....13..
..Dec 17...Pitt........42*....4.....7......4....60...1....43..
..Dec 24...Buffalo...35*....7.....5......2....19...0....14..
..Dec 31...Jets.......13*...13....11.....5....79...1....37..
..Jan 13...Tenn......24*...12.....9......3....32...0....13..
..Jan 21...Jack......48*....3......8......6....100..0....31..

Last edited by mac; 04/04/22 09:40 PM.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Mac, that's analyzing. I thought you hated analytics, yet here you are, doing it.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Does anyone know the Packers did not re-sign Corey Bojorquez?

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by bugs

The issue on a reunion is money, per Huber. The Packers lack the cap space required to make a competitive offer for a veteran punter.

Instead of using precious cap space on a punter that ended up finishing 17th in punting grade at Pro Football Focus and 24th in net punting average, the Packers will move on and find a cheaper option.

While Bojorquez flashed a big leg early in the season, he faded once the weather turned cold, and his coverage units often let him down on poorly-placed punts. He also struggled as a holder at times, compounding the special teams problems.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2022/03/16/packers-to-pass-on-re-signing-punter-corey-bojorquez/

1 member likes this: bugs
C
Legend
Legend
C

The Packers had one of the worst rated special teams of all times. They probably don’t mind distancing themselves from any of their guys who contributed to the poor unit.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by cfrs15

The Packers had one of the worst rated special teams of all times. They probably don’t mind distancing themselves from any of their guys who contributed to the poor unit.

Their special teams were really bad last year. I heard they also moved on from their punter.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
Mac, that's analyzing. I thought you hated analytics, yet here you are, doing it.

arch...that is simply something you assumed.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Is this the thread where we are supposed to place the NO/Philly trade? If so, I really don't understand this trade from the Saints' perspective. I'm going to try and read something as to why they made this move.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by mac
mac writes: Cooks production in outdoor games, in weather is similar to what he might experience in Cleveland during Nov/Dec/Jan...I have to ask if Cooks is a fair weather WR..?

Hammer responded: He was a 1000 yard receiver with 7 TDs in New England in 2017.

Hammer...what I was researching was Cooks performance in games that occurred in Nov/Dec/Jan..the cold weather months in weather conditions that might be similar to what the Browns play in during Nov/Dec/Jan.

I decided to use Cook's stats from 2017, when he was 26 and playing the Patriots and Tom Brady at QB.

Below is the break down..targets and receptions caught my attention...Cooks was targeted 54 times and caught 28 passes...catching just 52% of the targeted passes. Now this is just one season, his 4th season in the NFL and he may have improved his play in colder weather over the last 4 seasons...but hopefully the Browns take a good look at his tendancies.

New England won every game in November thru January in 2017 except the one played in Miami. If he helps us win, I'm not overly concerned what his stats say.

Plus, you have to consider the game plan aspect. Teams generally don't have a ton of success throwing in bad weather games. It's not something specific to him. Fortunately, we also have a good running game.

I think 2020 might be an applicable year to look at, considering it was the one he spent playing with the QB that he would have here. In his first year with Watson, their rapport grew as the season went along. Cooks capped it off with a 166 yard, 2TD performance against the Titans in January.

[Cooks] posted career-high marks in yards per route run (2.05) and PFF receiving grade (80.5) in 2020 and generally looked the part of a truly great NFL WR throughout the year.
link

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
j/c:

Is this the thread where we are supposed to place the NO/Philly trade? If so, I really don't understand this trade from the Saints' perspective. I'm going to try and read something as to why they made this move.

vers...as you know, there is an entire forum dedicated to the subject of the upcoming draft.

If you are referring to this story/subject...Jeremiah, Brooks: What Eagles-Saints draft trade means...

What do you think..?

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Philly fleeced the Saints by taking advantage of the Saints mentality of devaluing future draft picks.

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
M
Legend
Legend
M
A legend returns!

O
Legend
Legend
O
I mean this sincerely, so please don't flame me....

Was this guy really so bad? I do get hit in the head a lot (adult league hockey goalie) so am I just forgetting a ton of horrible kicks? I don't recall this guy being Zane-Gonzalez-losing-3-games-in-a-row bad, or anything like that. He was a rookie, as well.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I sure hope we draft a kicker late - Dicker or York, perhaps.

McLaughlin sucked, especially in the latter half of the season. One could argue with a better kicker last year, the Browns would have made the playoffs.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
Originally Posted by mac

Bull-Dawg writes..New England won every game in November thru January in 2017 except the one played in Miami. If he helps us win, I'm not overly concerned what his stats say.

Plus, you have to consider the game plan aspect. Teams generally don't have a ton of success throwing in bad weather games. It's not something specific to him. Fortunately, we also have a good running game.

I think 2020 might be an applicable year to look at, considering it was the one he spent playing with the QB that he would have here. In his first year with Watson, their rapport grew as the season went along. Cooks capped it off with a 166 yard, 2TD performance against the Titans in January.

[Cooks] posted career-high marks in yards per route run (2.05) and PFF receiving grade (80.5) in 2020 and generally looked the part of a truly great NFL WR throughout the year.
link

Bull-Dawg...if you are "not interested" in finding how Cooks plays in weather conditions similar to what Cooks might face here in Cleveland, especially late in the season when teams are pushing for a playoff spot...cheery picking his stats from the 2020 season might impress some...but not me..!

Cooks played in 15 games in the 2020 season and "all were played in fair weather". The one game where the Texans played in typical conditions for outdoor games in Dec (13th)...Cooks did not play. Cooks helped the Texans win a total of 4 game in 2020.

No doubt Cooks performed well during 'ideal' conditions..but the reality of the type of weather he might face in Cleveland is not equal to what he faced during his 2020 season with the Texans.

Cooks performance during his 1 season with the Patriots, Cooks ranked 8th in catch % over the all games, catching 57% of the passes thrown to him.

..33..Dion Lewis.......91.4%..
..34..Rex Burkhead...83.3%..
..28..James White....77.8%..
..80..D.Amendola.....70.9%..
..13..P.Dorsett..........66.7%..
..87..Gronkowski*+..65.7%..
..15..C.Hogan..........57.6%..
..14..B.Cooks ..........57.0%..

NO ONE CAN SAY they didn't know about Cooks possible issues playing in colder weather...

Last edited by mac; 04/05/22 10:36 AM.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I'm curious..............is this yet another attempt to throw shade at the Brown's Front Office?

M
Legend
Legend
M
mac....hault the deep dive into the Brandin Cooks analytics. It appears he may be staying put. If nothing else, I do not see the Browns giving up a 2nd rd pick for him.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I'm curious..............is this yet another attempt to throw shade at the Brown's Front Office?
I'm curious... I read a post the other day claiming a poster was discussing the tone of a posters comments instead of addressing the content of the post. I'm certain I saw that you liked that post....

In this post of yours in reply to Mac - in what way are you addressing the content of his post? As I said - just curious. I thought what Mac highlighted was good football talk, especially for an AFC north cold weather team. I haven't seen Cooks play much since he left the saints. He was a top WR back then, I've no idea about his skills now, and if they deteriorate in cold weather I'd say that's important for us to consider.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
1 member likes this: WSU Willie
V
Legend
Legend
V
I would be happy to have Cooks on the team now that we lost OBJ and Landry, but I wouldn't give up a 2nd round pick for him.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Deep throws have a lower completion percentage than dumpoffs to RBs. In bad weather, deep throws are affected the most. That's not a reflection on Cooks. Those are the realities all pass catchers deal with.

Fiercely Independent.
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
mac....hault the deep dive into the Brandin Cooks analytics. It appears he may be staying put. If nothing else, I do not see the Browns giving up a 2nd rd pick for him.

Milk...it wasn't but a couple of weeks ago that we went through a similar situation where social media declared a deal would not happen...and we know how that turned out...lol.. grin..

It seems that some teams just seem to do the opposite of what some predict.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by mac

Milk...it wasn't but a couple of weeks ago that we went through a similar situation where social media declared a deal would not happen...and we know how that turned out...lol.. grin..

It seems that some teams just seem to do the opposite of what some predict.

I'd be surprised to see the Browns give up a second for Cooks if HOU is steadfast with that in return.

We knew the Browns were willing to give up a ton of draft capital for Watson.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Milk Man

Good because he comes with a $16M price tag.

[Linked Image]

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Philly fleeced the Saints by taking advantage of the Saints mentality of devaluing future draft picks.

I really like this trade for Philly. I don't like any of the qbs in this year''s draft class. The 2023 QB class looks to be awesome. There are several guys that are going to be highly coveted. I know that I am OSU homer, but CJ Stroud is really, really good. I think he is much better [in regards to transferring to the NFL] than our previous QBs, and yes, I am including Justin Fields. Stroud is more accurate, but what really stands out is how he can go through his progressions much faster and better than the other guys we have had. Guys like Bryce Young and Phil Jurkovec are going to be hot items. There are also several others who are thought of at this point in time.

This trade gives Philly additional ammo to move up in the 2023 draft, which is important to any team looking to upgrade their QB.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by FL_Dawg

I don't think that would be entirely accurate for us. The Texans already paid him this year's roster bonus. I'm also not sure if the 2.5M restructured portion of his contract would come with him or is there for accounting purposes and the Texans are stuck with it (I believe the latter, but I'm not sure.) His base salary for the year is 12.5M and he has a 1.5M escalator for 1,000 yds and the playoffs. If he were here and had 1,000 yards with us making the playoffs, he's probably worth ~14M. If we then didn't re-sign him, we'd probably get a decent comp pick for the contract he'd get coming off that type of year. If he has less than 1,000 yards, 12.5M isn't bad for a proven, reliable deep threat #2 receiver.

I'd definitely like the move better if we would keep our 2nd rounder somehow to address the DL.

Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by FL_Dawg

I don't think that would be entirely accurate for us. The Texans already paid him this year's roster bonus. I'm also not sure if the 2.5M restructured portion of his contract would come with him or is there for accounting purposes and the Texans are stuck with it (I believe the latter, but I'm not sure.) His base salary for the year is 12.5M and he has a 1.5M escalator for 1,000 yds and the playoffs. If he were here and had 1,000 yards with us making the playoffs, he's probably worth ~14M. If we then didn't re-sign him, we'd probably get a decent comp pick for the contract he'd get coming off that type of year. If he has less than 1,000 yards, 12.5M isn't bad for a proven, reliable deep threat #2 receiver.

I'd definitely like the move better if we would keep our 2nd rounder somehow to address the DL.

That's still more money then we want to give Clowney, but yes, I agree that we do not want to give up our 44th selection. I would prefer we go after Fuller who is a FA.

[Linked Image]

V
Legend
Legend
V
I'm not a huge Fuller fan. He is always hurt and his hands are a bit inconsistent. He is a very good deep threat, though. I hope we bring Landry back and draft a WR. This year's class is loaded w/good WRs.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
For me, that would depend on Fuller's health and how much money he wants.

Honestly, I'm fine with rolling without Fuller or Cooks. We can make do with the receivers already on the roster if we have to.

DL definitely needs addressed.

Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm not a huge Fuller fan. He is always hurt and his hands are a bit inconsistent. He is a very good deep threat, though. I hope we bring Landry back and draft a WR. This year's class is loaded w/good WRs.

Yes, the injuries are why you don't want to pay too much, but he has only played less than 10 games (7), once, outside of last season (2), with Miami.

With out Hopkins in 2020, Fuller became Watson's number one receiver and he had a reception (Ctch%) of no less than 69% w/ Watson as the full time stater.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A legend returns!

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
For me, that would depend on Fuller's health and how much money he wants.

Honestly, I'm fine with rolling without Fuller or Cooks. We can make do with the receivers already on the roster if we have to.

DL definitely needs addressed.
Thats the thing though, if you go into the season with the current WR room, this
Offense will have issues scoring points. Defenses will double Cooper on every obvious passing
Down. The running game will see loaded boxes.The Browns need a bonafide deep threat at WR.

Legend
Legend
I have such a low tolerence for place kickers.

They are so important and I wish they were not. Justin Tucker makes me ill. He is so damn good and he wins so many games.

I would like for the Browns to sign to like 5 free agent place kickers. Take them to camp and pick one. If he faulters. Let him go and bring in the next one. Until one of them proves he can be relied upon. That is how Tucker caught on.

Chase McLaughlin? All he did was prove he was unreliable.

Punters don't bug me. Place kickers. Damn. Can you make 45 yarders and under like all the time? Please.

Don't get me going.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/c:

I really like this trade for Philly. I don't like any of the qbs in this year''s draft class. The 2023 QB class looks to be awesome. There are several guys that are going to be highly coveted. I know that I am OSU homer, but CJ Stroud is really, really good. I think he is much better [in regards to transferring to the NFL] than our previous QBs, and yes, I am including Justin Fields. Stroud is more accurate, but what really stands out is how he can go through his progressions much faster and better than the other guys we have had. Guys like Bryce Young and Phil Jurkovec are going to be hot items. There are also several others who are thought of at this point in time.

This trade gives Philly additional ammo to move up in the 2023 draft, which is important to any team looking to upgrade their QB.

At the beginning of the off-season this was my strategy for the Browns. Load up for next years QBs, because I didn’t like any of the current draft class. Next years, looks like it will have some top talent.

This is perfect for Philly. They can evaluate Hurts for one more year and then go many different ways depending on the end of year production/evaluation. This was the same process my opinion was for our team.

But I am definitely excited about the outcome we ended up.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper
Thats the thing though, if you go into the season with the current WR room, this
Offense will have issues scoring points. Defenses will double Cooper on every obvious passing
Down. The running game will see loaded boxes.The Browns need a bonafide deep threat at WR.

The most yards per reception Fuller averaged in 6 seasons is 16.6.

DPJ averaged 21.7 his rookie season and 17.6 with broke Baker last year.

DPJ had 597 yards last year. Will Fuller had less than that in 3/6 of his seasons and has never broken 1k.

We don't know what we have in Schwartz.

Njoku averaged 13.2 yards per reception last season and can also help stretch defenses.

If they're doubling Cooper, They're not doubling Njoku and DPJ. Let them stack the box and get roasted on play action.

We can probably also work in the screen/jet sweep game to Jakeem Grant.

Fiercely Independent.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper
Offense will have issues scoring points. Defenses will double Cooper not have any real pass-catching threats to worry about on every obvious passing

That could be said every year before Cooper's arrival since..I dunno...Breshad Perriman?

O
Legend
Legend
O
At this point, I think our hands are tied regarding making more big moves in FA (watch us make another announcement like 5 minutes after I hit 'post'). I think if we want a deep threat WR, we're going to have to maneuver in the draft.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
V
Legend
Legend
V
It's too bad that Baker's ego forced OBJ out of town. He was an excellent deep threat. He proved it before he got here and then again, after he left here.

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
M
Legend
Legend
M
It's too bad that Baker's ego forced OBJ out of town. He was an excellent deep threat. He proved it before he got here and then again, after he left here.

You've been back - miraculously turning up as soon as Baker was going to be an Ex-Brown... You've spammed the board with more negative Baker posts and comments than anyone on the board including your latest "Bake Show" thread to revive and needlessly continue the Baker criticisms.... And here you are with revisionist history trying to create an entirely provable lie and fake narrative about OBJ who is on record from multi reliable sources as never wanting to be here. You left for a while but I guess a leopard doesn't change its spots.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum 2022 Browns/NFL Free Agency Signings/News

Link Copied to Clipboard