Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thought it was pretty interesting. I always thought Baker came from a very wealthy family, him saying they lived from apt to apt and his parents and brother did a lot for him to succeed.

Baker seemed honest, the cubical thing is nothing. I bet 99% of athletes who have been boo'd would say or think the same thing.

Baker says he had a good rookie year, then his 2019 season sucked. He had a good 2020 season and his 2021 season sucked. Sounds like what we all say. again he seemed honest about it.

The ups and downs and having the four different head coaches and all the instability...Most of us said the same thing for season after season before Baker.

I liked how he had that beer bong thing sitting on the counter, mostly advertising but cool, sure the boys did use it.

Baker saying he felt disrespected, who wouldn't. Berry maybe should have said we are going to look at the QB situation and go from there.

I'm not a fan of Baker, though it didn't portray the bs the press who are trying to make off season headlines.

He's a soul who has to deal with life as we all do. Fortunately for fans it's not as public as an athlete.Guys sitting around just talking about life's experiences, thought it was pretty good.

2 members like this: IrishDawg42, WSU Willie
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Originally Posted by boofers20
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Originally Posted by boofers20
A part of me wouldn't doubt that Baker is doing this to lower his trade value, forcing the Browns into a bad deal just to screw them over for how he was treated

How was he treated? And I pray to God for his sake that he isn't that ignorant. I actually don't think he is ignorant. I think he is an emotional midget, but not a mental midget even though 888 once again purposely misquoted me. I wonder if guys like him will follow Baker out of town? Calgary anyone?

I should've said how he thinks he was treated.

Sorry. My post probably came across as an attack. I admit i was aggravated by 888 telling yet another lie on me reinventing history. So again, I'm sorry. Even if you think you think that Baker was mistreated, I can accept that. Just gun shy due to guys like 888, WSU, Pit, and Purp roaming about like wolves on the attack.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Hey bro..........I have a very different take on Baker and this situation than you, but you know what.........I respect your opinion and won't resort to insulting your character like guys such as WSU, 888, Purp, Pit, and OCD do over and over.

Different opinions and takes are welcomed in cilvil and intellectual societies. Not so much in juvenile and corrupt societies.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
[/quote] I am going to have to resort to reading excerpts of the podcast because those were four unlikable dudes and I couldn't get past 3 minutes

It was a lot more interesting than watching Johnny Manziel drinking champagne on an inflatable Swan.

2 members like this: IrishDawg42, Versatile Dog
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
LOL

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm not a Baker fan at all Vers. I didn't see that big of a deal out of the podcast, on his views about the subject.

It's like reading twenty different articles from sport heads. Everyone has a different feeling of things.

mgh888 #1938695 04/13/22 11:10 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by mgh888
Originally Posted by Rishuz
Because he's immature and because he's exactly like the guy he hated, Hue Jackson.

Nothing is ever Baker's fault.
So as yet I have not listened to the podcast .... but to date, I'm not sure I have ever heard Baker point blame elsewhere throughout his career with the Browns.

To me, the constant refrain of "everyone needs to do their jobs" after games was passing the buck. It was tough watching Baker not be able to make routine plays, watching receivers run wide open and not get the ball, watching Baker struggle to make plays in crunch time then have him say after games "everyone needs to do their jobs". It always made me cringe. I always wondered what the players thought about that line of reasoning. Sometimes he would say he played like crap. Sometimes he owned it, but that was few and far between. But his most consistent refrain is "everyone needs to do their jobs". I always felt as the leader of the team he overplayed that. That's basically blaming others.

You could say that he said some salty things at the end of last year after playing hurt for 16 weeks and being pissed off with KS ....

What exactly was he mad at KS about? Or better yet what reason did he have to be mad at Stefanski? Stefanski consistently defended Baker in the media.

and Baker could have said OBJ was running the wrong routes, not in the right place at the right time

I really think this notion is overplayed. Receivers have a route but also react to the defense. If Baker was a better processor of what was happening out there, OBJ wouldn't have to always exactly be in a spot. If that's the way your offense has to be run, you don't have much of shot.

And - I don't think talking about booing people at their cubicles has anything to do with blaming someone else for something either.

This confirmed how much the Detroit game bothered him and how it continues to bother him. And how poorly he is handling it.

#1938696 04/13/22 11:17 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by mgh888
Reinventing history to claim Baker drove OBJ out -

Am I missing something? Isn't Baker exactly the reason OBJ wanted out? I'm not aware of any other reason being reported.

Rishuz #1938697 04/13/22 11:20 PM
A
Legend
Legend
A
OBJ didn't want to be in Cleveland in the first place from what I've read.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Wasn't it also reported that he would consider coming back next season? The only difference between last season and this upcoming season is that Baker is gone.

Rishuz #1938699 04/13/22 11:41 PM
A
Legend
Legend
A
Wasn't it also reported that he would consider coming back next season? The only difference between last season and this upcoming season is that Baker is gone.

I've read/heard that. From reputable sources? I don't know. He just had another surgery, which, from what I read, would cause him to miss a chunk.

I wouldn't want him here anyway. Play like a fool while here, after admitting you didn't want to be here? (cleveland). Nah, we've enough drama right now. He can take his second operation knee and go go somewhere else.

1 member likes this: FATE
E
Legend
Legend
E
So about 11 minutes of the podcast and thought it was actually interesting hearing about his ordeals in college. To go from where he was to Heisman winner and #1 pick in the draft. I thought was amazing.

When he stepped in after the injury as a rookie that was a magical moment for Cleveland. I will never forget that. His 20 TD and -0- INT from the red zone that rookie year was amazing. I wish he was as selfish and you all make him out to be cause then he wouldn't have played last year after the injury where all the bad happened. I knew he wasn't Ski's choice its a shame they couldn't grow together. but as they say Ce' La vie... Talk about immaturity the irony is the Baker bashing going on as a very mature and classy feature...lol laugh you guys are funny.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Rishuz #1938719 04/14/22 09:02 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Thanks for the detailed response. My comments before were specifically relating to Baker blaming others - something I don't agree with. And in answer to your points:

- I don't live or get NE Ohio broadcasts - I don't see post game pressers, only read them online or summaries. If I missed something of importance let me know ... but I remember both KS and BM both trotting out "we have to do better" and "I must do better" throughout the season. I didn't take it at the time to be blaming others. Neither did the media. I don't remember any comments on this board to that affect. Using those words now and to interpret them as meaning something they were never referred to during the season seems a stretch to me. jmo. I think if they don't sit well with you maybe it also has something to do with your general sentiment towards Baker .... just maybe?

- I am not excusing Baker and his hissy fit with KS at the end of the season - and I don't agree with airing any team issues in the public - but I *believe* Baker was upset mostly about play calling in the Pit game. From memory = We had a lot of pass plays with our rookie 3rd strong RT 1 on 1 with TJ Watt who is the best pass rusher in the NFL. The RT may as well have been a statue on some of those plays. From memory we were very pass happy in stretches - I believe that Monday night football with Peyton Manning and Eli (?) even commented on this several times. I remember commentators on regular network commenting how much of a hindrance Baker's harness was and how it especially impacted throws to the left side of the field. Again - going from memory - but after this comment we watched 3 or 4 pass plays all to the left sidelines all of which looked bad. . . . So KS definitely deserved some scrutiny. Just not from anyone in a Browns uniform and especially not the QB.

- I didn't raise the OBJ saga to debate the reality of him being open or in the right place. I fully agree better QB play finds OBJ regardless. But there was a day throughout that saga when the Browns spin machine went into motion and several reporters talked about OBJ running the wrong routes and freelancing to get open. . . . To your point about blaming others, Baker could have easily jumped on that train and he did not. To be honest - Baker has always had issues with his emotions and immaturity and during those OBJ issues I actually thought Baker handled the situation as well as he possibly could. Actually gave me hope that maybe he had turned a corner. Obviously not based on what we have seen since.

- And talking about the booing is childish. Talking of booing people in their cubicles is silly. But it doesn't relate or support Baker blaming others and being 'just like Hue'. And that was my only real point.

I've said since everything started to break - Baker should simply stfu, get off social media, wait till the whole situation is resolved and focus 100% on being a better QB. That's not happening and he continues to show is ass. But despite immaturity and other issues, personally I've never seen Baker as the finger pointing type and certainly nothing like Hue.

Last edited by mgh888; 04/14/22 09:06 AM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Rishuz #1938721 04/14/22 09:10 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
and Baker could have said OBJ was running the wrong routes, not in the right place at the right time

I really think this notion is overplayed. Receivers have a route but also react to the defense. If Baker was a better processor of what was happening out there, OBJ wouldn't have to always exactly be in a spot. If that's the way your offense has to be run, you don't have much of shot.

I keep thinking of one play last year, not sure which game it was. I think it was a 3 or 4 pick game. Anyway, Landry was on a route and there was heavy coverage underneath and absolutely no one behind him. He starts to go deep and Baker threw for a comeback. Landry hit the breaks and slipped. The ball was easily picked off. The game day thread, and the post game thread, had people blaming Landry for the pick because he fell down. The ball never got to where he was. This is an example of one guy reading the play one way and the other guy reading it another. To my untrained eye it was an easy read. Landry had nothing but room behind him.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Rishuz #1938728 04/14/22 09:41 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Responding to part of Diesel's post as well as Rish's.

Originally Posted by DeisleDawg
... the cubical thing is nothing. I bet 99% of athletes who have been boo'd would say or think the same thing

The thought/feeling is nbd, for sure. It's not hard to empathize and sympathize with the thought. It's that that 99% wouldn't verbalize that thought. It's the same thing as comparing how Matt Ryan, Carson Wentz, Baker all handled their respective off-season moves.

To me, the constant refrain of "everyone needs to do their jobs" after games was passing the buck. It was tough watching Baker not be able to make routine plays, watching receivers run wide open and not get the ball, watching Baker struggle to make plays in crunch time then have him say after games "everyone needs to do their jobs". It always made me cringe. I always wondered what the players thought about that line of reasoning. Sometimes he would say he played like crap. Sometimes he owned it, but that was few and far between. But his most consistent refrain is "everyone needs to do their jobs". I always felt as the leader of the team he overplayed that. That's basically blaming others.

You've been banging on this drum basically since day 1. It sounded like manufactured/fake drama before (IMO). As I've admitted before, I'm looking back on some of these games/PCs with a very different perspective given how this off-season has played out with Baker.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I think Baker is a spoiled brat. His interview came across to me as a spoiled brat. I was appalled by him last year when he lobbied to get a convicted murder off his death sentance. The victims families had to really feel victimized yet again. Showed his really poor character. The Browns should have never drafted a QB #1 overall that short. He was just marginally better than Johnny Manziel. He showed in his actions to Hue and the Giants QB by his comments he had no class. I am actually glad he was replaced and feel the teams future is in better hands with Watson.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I would be surprised if Baker's agent gave the the okay to go forward w/the podcast. With all the reports out there of Baker being immature and not being an "adult" in the building, it seems counterproductive to do a long podcast that included things like Baker feeling disrespected by the Browns.

Do other guys in the NFL go on podcasts to throw shade at their team? Maybe a TO or Chad Johnson did? I don't know. But, I think of Jared Goff. He played in a Super Bowl w/the Rams. Did he do a podcast when the Rams were considering trading him? Jimmy G also played in a Super Bowl. Did he take to the airwaves to say how disrespected he felt that the 49ers gave up the farm to draft an raw rookie to replace him? Hell, I think Carson Wentz is immature and similar to Baker in several ways, but did he do what Baker just did?

If I were Baker's agent, I would tell him to handle the situation w/class and try to quiet the whispers about him being immature and not a great teammate. I would not encourage unwanted attention that is yet another verification of how Baker is immature.

mgh888 #1938739 04/14/22 11:12 AM
R
Legend
Legend
R
I will agree that there's not a lot of sound bites or reports of Baker overtly blaming others.

But I also believe Baker doesn't take accountability (which was my original statement).

The second implies the first but doesn't require it. I think the main point here is Baker rarely seems to want to take accountability.

As for the Pitt game, it is my belief and opinion that Stefanski was making a point. If I recall correctly, Baker had begun to throw some shade toward game plans, etc. leading up to that game. I think Stefanski said 'ok, let's see how it goes'. Let's open things up. We saw the results. I think we can all agree that Stefanski is a not a dumb guy. He saw what was going on out there. If I had to guess a better QB gets the ball out faster.

1 member likes this: mgh888
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by oobernoober

You've been banging on this drum basically since day 1. It sounded like manufactured/fake drama before (IMO). As I've admitted before, I'm looking back on some of these games/PCs with a very different perspective given how this off-season has played out with Baker.

Is this an apology? You and 888 lead the personal attack charge on me. I don't think I ever responded in kind. Just gave my opinion and let you guys get spun up. I didn't expect that from you just based on your posting personality/style over the years.

Now lately you've been "coming around". Therefore, I think you should remember this mantra in all future instances where we have a difference of opinion - "Rishuz is always right. Rishuz is always right."

Rishuz #1938742 04/14/22 11:34 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O
I guess it was more of an admission of guilt than anything. I did come after you hard, and probably pushed the limits of what can be considered 'normal message board discourse' at times. Sorry about that (THAT is an apology).

.... Therefore, I think you should remember this mantra in all future instances where we have a difference of opinion - "Rishuz is always right. Rishuz is always right."

lol... if anyone is entitled to a victory lap then I guess it's you in this thread. You were correct.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
R
Legend
Legend
R
I don't like victory laps. I was just ribbing you.

I'm the type of guy and hang out with the type of guys that if we are out having drinks or just shooting the breeze, we clown on each other.

It's all in good fun.

1 member likes this: oobernoober
Legend
Legend
I learned my lesson when disagreeing with Rish when he said that Chud lost the team about half way thru the season. grin

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: Rishuz
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
I was a Baker fan but this disrespected stuff gets under my skin. The Browns took him no.1 in the draft. The Browns gave up 3 first round picks+ to get his replacement.
The Browns gave him a contract that will pay him about 50 million bucks. His agent was was asking for even bigger money for future years. The results were frankly mediocre.

The Browns were in a spot, should they pay Baker big money for likely average play?
They chose to look around and go with somebody they thought would be better. That happens to every player in the NFL eventually. It's the nature of the business.

I'm sure the Browns wish he'd played better. The fans certainly wish he'd played better. No disrespect but if you're an average player in the NFL and don't know you might be replaced that's on you.
Currently at his present salary there are no takers for his services. Seems to me if he's feeling disrespected he should be bad mouthing the rest of the league not the Browns

Rishuz #1938754 04/14/22 01:32 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
That's the way I took it, but if you were serious I wouldn't hold it against you for the reasons you stated.

-PrplPplEater
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

If Baker were my son, I'd have implored him to take the high road. If Berry and Ski were my sons, I'd have implored them both to be upfront with Baker. If all (3) were my sons, I'd be disappointed with how this ended while still being quite proud of all (3) of them.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Hey bro..........I have a very different take on Baker and this situation than you, but you know what.........I respect your opinion and won't resort to insulting your character like guys such as WSU, 888, Purp, Pit, and OCD do over and over.

Different opinions and takes are welcomed in cilvil and intellectual societies. Not so much in juvenile and corrupt societies.

Seems to be your go to line now. How many drinks did you have before posting that? It's only not an attack when you do it. We get it and you will be too.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Not sure not taking accountability for yourself and blaming others is entirely the same thing or that one implies the other. And I think you
Originally Posted by CapCity Dawg

I keep thinking of one play last year, not sure which game it was. I think it was a 3 or 4 pick game. Anyway, Landry was on a route and there was heavy coverage underneath and absolutely no one behind him. He starts to go deep and Baker threw for a comeback. Landry hit the breaks and slipped. The ball was easily picked off. The game day thread, and the post game thread, had people blaming Landry for the pick because he fell down. The ball never got to where he was. This is an example of one guy reading the play one way and the other guy reading it another. To my untrained eye it was an easy read. Landry had nothing but room behind him.

I don't remember that play but there were other plays where commentators - hell even Troy Aikmen who never seems to say a nice word about the Browns - commented on how a route looked like it should have been run or designed. Bottom line I don't know, the commentators don't know. Baker played plenty bad last year, I still think most of that was due to injury and harness. I saw and heard commentators talking like that and assumed they were right - but they might not have been. When Baker gets his next chance we'll get a better picture. I still lean towards his ceiling being what we saw in the last 9 games of 2020 but unless he gets his head out of his butt the challenge will only be bigger.

1 member likes this: CapCity Dawg
mgh888 #1938786 04/14/22 05:03 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
I will say that I wish people would make up their minds. Almost every poster on this board claimed thought Hue was a crappy coach and should have been canned sooner than he was. It seems pretty funny when they said it, they felt they were right. When Baker says the same thing suddenly he's not taking responsibility. So it actually has nothing to do with what was said but rather who it is that's saying it. As for myself I thought Hue should be given a roster with enough talent to win with first. He was and failed miserably. So by the time he was fired I agreed it was the right thing to do also. But it was proven and agreed by all that Hue was a total failure. Unless of course Baker says so. Then it's a big deal.

And as far as Baker goes, I've always stated both the negative and the positive. At one point you considered me a hater of Baker. lol I've never been his biggest fan but also haven't ignored many of his positives. I'd say overall I've been fairly balanced as far as he is concerned. Now suddenly I'm some huge Baker fan who is upset by the fact he will no longer our QB. That's just an outright lie by those perpetrating such BS. While I won't attempt to bog this thread down with my reasoning for why I dislike the move that was made, it certainly wasn't because I'm upset by this FO getting a better QB which Watson most certainly is. I've stated that I believe watson is a much better QB and as far as on the field of play they upgraded the position.

But I'm also not going to ignore the way things went down from Baker's perspective. People try to use examples of "Did *inset name here" act that way when he was cut or replaced?" Like that's an accurate gauge of things. Because actually addressing the details of what transpired in each of these cases would not be to their advantage. There was a public statement made that Baker would be our starting QB in 2022. Did that happen with these" other players"? At that point people say, "but you can't believe PR statements from an NFL FO". Then when that same FO tells you that Baker's replacement was "carefully vetted" they proclaim it as gospel.

When you make a public statement claiming a QB is your guy to only turn around and replace him, that isn't something between a player and a FO alone. At the point you make such a statement public, it's out there for everyone to see. That's what happened.

Up until this point I don't feel Baker handled the situation badly. His letter was nothing that dissed anyone or was in bad taste and those who wished to make something out of it had to stretch everything out of context to do so. But this podacst is a bit different. I feel any normal, rational thinking person can see that it was not in his best interest to do this. It certainly won't help him professionally and does look like a gut instinct reaction. Much like his letter it's not as bad as people are making it out to be but it's certainly not the path he should have taken by any means.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1938792 04/14/22 06:12 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
If Baker recently dissed Hue - or if there is a discussion on Baker talking about Hue I missed it. . . . What was said on the board: that Baker - Like Hue - blames others for his failings instead of taking ownership of his own short comings. Not sure if you misunderstood back and forth or if I missed something. I disagree with the idea Baker blames others, and that's what I've posted about the last couple of posts.

Obviously I have been a Baker supporter - and I will be when he moves on and isn't playing the Browns. I truly appreciate the spark he brought to the Browns the moment he stepped on the field for an injured Tyrod. Sidetracked here - but when we talk about if Baker can elevate the people around him, I'd say just based on how the team looked with Tyrod vs Baker you could say Baker definitely elevated the team that year. Anyway - getting back on track - regardless of supporting Baker, personally I detest anything in/on social media from him or from his wife. I hate anything where Baker needs to talk about how he feels, what happened, what challenges he did or didn't have .... I personally believe he just needs to get on and be the best QB he can be and to that end absolutely NOTHING, no matter how seemingly justified, Baker says in a public forum for public consumption helps. If he has to say anything he basically says "wherever I am and whatever situation I end up with, I'm going to work my damn butt off to be the best I can be". End of.

Last edited by mgh888; 04/14/22 06:14 PM.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Man, he is going to talk himself right out of the league. Once again, he is resorting to blaming others. Trashing other players is a horrible look. Both Pioli and McGinnest were in the league and understand how these things play out in the locker room.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 04/14/22 07:51 PM.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
He really should have just shut his mouth, but he can't help himself. Rabbit ears.

O
Legend
Legend
O
So, let me get this straight… Baker is the bad guy because he spoke out about his side and his views… And Deshaun Watson (a possible predator) is the second coming. If he ever gets to play… Y'all don't deserve a good QB. smh.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
If Baker dedicated himself to playing the position as much as he runs his mouth
About things that really don't matter at the end of the day, he would be
Employed by now.
Mayfield grew up with every thing handed to.him. He never had to face adversity.
When he faces adversity, he folds.
Baker was a 1st RD bust. All of a sudden John Dorseys drafts arent looking so good

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
"All of sudden" - LOL.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
So, let me get this straight… Baker is the bad guy because he spoke out about his side and his views… And Deshaun Watson (a possible predator) is the second coming. If he ever gets to play… Y'all don't deserve a good QB. smh.

I don't think people are saying that.

As a person who has been in the Baker camp and would have been good had we kept him and all was cool with that situation, Baker didn't look good. He didn't do anything that will help his situation. Baker may think he is a starting QB, but what he feels doesn't matter, it's what other teams feel.

I think he can get back there but it is going to take him a few years of kicking around as a back-up and a few teams before he get's there. How he does in that position will dictate how it all turns out.

No matter how all of that works out, even if he starts this year, all of this doesn't bode well for us being able to salvage a whole lot out of him in the way of a trade, and who knows, maybe that was his goal? Like he said, he could retire now. I don't get the feeling that money is a big concern nor is doing us any favors. I think he would be fine with sitting at home, collecting $19 million.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
2nd String
2nd String
jc
If Baker doesn't take another snap in the NFL, he's still going to be a millionaire. $18.9 Million is not chump change. I like the guy, I don't like some of the things that he has done recently. As the old adage goes "It's best to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." I understand he's still in his 20's and I know from experience that sometimes you make really bad choices at that age that you regret later in life. I wish the kid the best.

The Constitution shall never be construe to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. – Samuel Adams
M
Legend
Legend
M

You have to look at the two situations in isolation and they are not linked in any way - imo. Baker just needs to shut up publicly. I've no doubt that the ESPN show or whatever it was cherry picked the most inflammatory remarks, they may have played snippets that lost some context .... but at the end of the day nothing that was said was unfair, the criticisms of Baker were realistic and balanced. I think the board's inference that there is a pattern and history of Baker blaming others for his issues is a faulty premise - being salty with KS after one game, and this snippet about how to motivate retiring players isn't a pattern of behavior like Hue.... but Baker opening his mouth and talking about his feelings and talking about others is dumb and Baker owns what he does in that regard.

Ballpeen #1938846 04/15/22 09:06 AM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

I don't think people are saying that.

As a person who has been in the Baker camp and would have been good had we kept him and all was cool with that situation, Baker didn't look good. He didn't do anything that will help his situation. Baker may think he is a starting QB, but what he feels doesn't matter, it's what other teams feel.

I think he can get back there but it is going to take him a few years of kicking around as a back-up and a few teams before he get's there. How he does in that position will dictate how it all turns out.

No matter how all of that works out, even if he starts this year, all of this doesn't bode well for us being able to salvage a whole lot out of him in the way of a trade, and who knows, maybe that was his goal? Like he said, he could retire now. I don't get the feeling that money is a big concern nor is doing us any favors. I think he would be fine with sitting at home, collecting $19 million.

Saying things like some players don't want to win and are just in it for the retirement fund is not going to endear himself to other players across the league. Also, using the number of head coaches and offensive coordinators as an excuse is not going to win him any points w/other organizations. Scott Pioli was a pretty decent GM and he said that he would not bring Baker into his locker room when McGinnest asked him a direct question about it.

Everyone who has played competitive sports knows that it's tough at times and that your feelings are often beat-up. It's hard to not be viewed as good enough after you have put so much blood, sweat, and tears into a passion. That is a human angle that most of us can relate to. If I were in Baker's camp and he insisted on doing the podcast, I would have pleaded w/him to say that while he was hurt and disappointed about how his time in Cleveland came to an end, but then thanked the Browns for the opportunity they provided him. Then, adding in something like how he believed in himself and how he is going to use this as motivation to do everything possible to become the absolute best player he can be and that his resolve in succeeding as a QB in the NFL has only been strengthened by this temporary setback. Trashing teammates, blaming coaching changes, wanting to boo fans, using the injuries as an excuse after the medical staff cleared him to play, etc is not the "adult" and professional way to handle the situation.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I didn't have much problem with what Mayfield had to say. He came off a little bit whiny, but overall seemed like a good guy who's motivated to prove his detractors wrong. I do have a problem with choosing this group of frat-boy slappies in this venue to make his case. The host kept trying to be this zen master waxing all magical/mysical about God-knows-what. It was like Oprah meets Dude Perfect.

IMO, Baker should have showed up on a mainstream show like Dan Patrick, Jim Rome, or even his nemesis Colin Cowherd. He should have dressed in big boy clothes, NOT nut-hugger shorts, and tried to conduct his first interview with a prospective new team. Bloodied but unbowed, humbled but still determined to be better from it. Instead he chose a dormitory bull session that has the people who put out the grown-up in the QB room narrative saying "See?".

3 members like this: Versatile Dog, FL_Dawg, Hammer
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc...

The agenda continues.... notallthere

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum The Bake Show

Link Copied to Clipboard