Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
The Baker bashing continues yet the Browns are still sitting on Mayfield's future. Watson is the new Browns QB, the way they've handled Mayfield is amateur.

Baker bashing? The Browns don't want him and neither does the rest of the NFL apparently. Yet, excuse makers like you continue to play "Once Upon a Time..." Are you going to follow him to his new team? I wonder if the Ottawa Rough Riders need a qb and have a message board? Just kidding, but damn, the evidence is in and a few of you are still reinventing the reality of the situation. He is not a good qb and is an emotional midget. I doubt many teams want that combo.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 04/23/22 11:39 PM.
Milk Man #1940289 04/23/22 11:38 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by Milk Man
Originally Posted by Rishuz
He seems strangely at peace with his current situation.

Something tells me he'd be ok if he never played football again. I don't think the NFL was what he thought it was going to be.

Worst case scenario is he makes millions in college broadcasting.

And is hired by every business in Oklahoma to endorse everything (the Vince Young path).

cfrs15 #1940290 04/23/22 11:41 PM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Originally Posted by cfrs15
Originally Posted by Milk Man

Something tells me he'd be ok if he never played football again. I don't think the NFL was what he thought it was going to be.

Worst case scenario is he makes millions in college broadcasting.

And is hired by every business in Oklahoma to endorse everything (the Vince Young path).

Probably true, but I think he would be awesome on a show called The Bake Show. It would be a spin-off of the old Jerry Springer show and drama rules the day.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I wonder about the Seattle rumors. A few ramblings.

--DK Metcalf openly went crazy on Russel Wilson this year when the latter missed some throws. It will be hilarious to see him go off on Baker.

--Maybe they can avoid that situation by trading Metcalf for Baker? Sure.

--While I would take a ham sandwich for Baker if they pay his salary, I would feel bad for Seahawk fans and their board members if they indeed to have one. Can you imagine the Baker fans there? DK Metcaff and Locket suck! Worst OL in the history of the world. Pete Carrol has a terrible scheme. The Seattle fans are really aggressive and mean. Baker is really good, but the D stinks. You people are just haters. Russel Wilson is nowhere near the qb Baker is.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by GratefulDawg

That was pretty special.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
2 members like this: mgh888, OldColdDawg
Rishuz #1940313 04/24/22 07:10 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

Just when you think the unbridled, 100% speculation on the guy has reached the absurd...it goes and gets even more absurd. rolleyes

R
Legend
Legend
R
I wasn't basing it just on that but on things that he said during his podcast as well. I've been thinking what I stated since then. Additionally, he's done nothing to repair his image in the face of zero interest in him as a football player. Nothing. It's almost like he doesn't care.

But at any rate, now you know how I felt when you came up with the "drives before the drives" argument. Most of your arguments in favor of Baker could be filed under the absurd category but the "drives before the drives" was the crown jewel. Top 5 take ever in a comedic sort of way.

And don't ever forget this...The Rish is always right...The Rish is always right...The Rish is always right.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
--While I would take a ham sandwich for Baker if they pay his salary, I would feel bad for Seahawk fans and their board members if they indeed to have one. Can you imagine the Baker fans there? DK Metcaff and Locket suck! Worst OL in the history of the world. Pete Carrol has a terrible scheme. The Seattle fans are really aggressive and mean. Baker is really good, but the D stinks. You people are just haters. Russel Wilson is nowhere near the qb Baker is.

So in a thread talking about DPJ - we had a poster go off on his high horse which included broad character attacks on others because posters had the temerity to start talking about DPJ's potential because he suffered a season with his own injuries and he had a QB who was injured and playing badly. Apparently this wasn't accepting able in "Pure Football".

But as long as we are deriding Baker - it seems it's okay to feel sorry for other teams if they traded for Bake - speculate on nonsense they might say in defense of Baker (presumably because that was one of the agendas here anytime there was a discussion about Baker and his performances) ... and it's okay to speculate on Baker's state of mind and the idea that he want's out of the NFL (or is comfortable with it).

Rish - you know I saw your comment last night and I didn't think too much of it. You've had a hard if consistent approach to Baker throughout his tenure here. My single biggest gripe would be that you were always very active after bad games and gave very scant comment after good games. And I don't have any issue with your opinion about him being at peace and happy to move on ... but it comes at a time we just had this other sermon about posters not sticking to football, so I've included it with the other comment. The reason I disagree with you about the place Baker is in - and I am happy for him if he has found a little zen amidst this off season - he was hurt all last year (bar 1 game) and he gritted it out. The injury clearly hurt less as we got to the final 1/4 of the season, but he was in real and severe pain in a few games. During that time he showed absolutely zero interest in taking an easy option and sitting, he showed no less passion, his commitment to the team and game was 100%. While he's in a state of flux with the Browns, hopefully he's realized all he can do is focus on himself, his recovery and his attitude ... no idea how much of that he has done, but based on what we saw on the football field there's no quit in him from what I can see.

As for the rest - it really does seem that the idea of a stadium full of fans cheering on Baker agitated someone enough to make them repeat the negative commentary again. Personally I think it's too soon to laugh and and belittle Baker because he and his $18M contract have not been traded yet. There's a couple articles posted here explaining why - and how teams know the Browns are in a no-win, weak situation with Baker. Maybe despite that - Baker won't find a home next year. Maybe he won't be a starter. But we won't know till after the draft. After Baker is not a Brown. Being too gleeful, too soon says more about the poster than anything else.

Last edited by mgh888; 04/24/22 09:37 AM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
1 member likes this: WSU Willie
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Proposed Trade Sends Browns QB Baker Mayfield to Backup Role
By J.R. De Groote
Updated Apr 22, 2022 at 7:45am

Baker Mayfield’s future is uncertain following his falling out with the Cleveland Browns but former NFL general manager Mike Tannenbaum believes the former top pick could find a home in Tampa Bay, initially as a backup to Tom Brady.

Tannenbaum suggested some draft day trades he’d like to see and one prominent idea feature the Bucs dealing a fourth-round pick to land Mayfield. As he notes, the deal would have to take the Browns eating a chunk of Mayfield’s near $19 million salary. Here’s what Tannenbaum had to say about a potential deal, via the 33rd Team:

This move feels necessary for both sides. … Let Baker sit for a year and learn as much wisdom from Tom Brady and Byron Leftwich as possible. Let him use this season as an investment in his future and take in all the gifts that Tom has to give in terms of professionalism and preparation. This would be very similar to what Mitch Trubisky did this past season with Buffalo.

The Bucs would have to feel pretty confident in their assessment of Mayfield to make a deal for him to basically be a high-priced insurance policy for the soon-to-be 45-year-old Brady. However, there’s always the thought that the team could convince Mayfield to re-sign after a year in their system and be the quarterback of the future if Brady decides to make his retirement official once an for all after next season.

The Buccaneers currently have three other quarterbacks on the roster behind Brady in Blaine Gabbert Kyle Trask Ryan Griffin.

Browns Call Baker Mayfield’s Situation ‘Fluid’

Mayfield is coming off a down year but has shown at times that he can be a more than viable option as a starting quarterback on a playoff-caliber squad. He led the Browns to the playoffs during the 2020-21 season, notching a win against the Steelers in the Wild Card round.

Last season he passed for 17 touchdowns and 13 interceptions, slumping down the stretch, tossing seven of those interceptions in the final three games with the Browns hunting a playoff spot. He had surgery to repair a torn labrum in his non-throwing shoulder in January. He played through the injury after suffering it in Week 2 against the Texans while trying to make a tackle following an interception.

To no one’s surprise, Mayfield was a no-show for the Browns voluntary OTAs this week but he was still an obvious topic of conversation.

“That is a unique situation. It is fluid,” Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski told reporters on Wednesday, April 20. “We will just continue to work through it as we go each day.

Robert Griffin III Says Browns Bungled Mayfield Situation
The problem for the Browns in finding Mayfield a new team is that they have little to no leverage in the situation. The relationship with Mayfield is beyond repair, he’s due a large chunk of cash on his fifth-year option and they’ve already signed capable backups in Jacoby Brissett and Joshua Dobbs.

Former Browns quarterback and Heisman winner Robert Griffin the III sounded off on Thursday’s edition of “Get Up!” on ESPN about how Cleveland has handled the situation.

“I’m flabbergasted at how the Browns could mismanage this so poorly,” Griffin said, per Cleveland.com. “They should have traded Baker Mayfield before the ink dried on Deshaun Watson…They trashed Baker in the media. Now they’re stuck with a quarterback they don’t want and an $18 million price tag. Teams know they have no leverage.”

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Rishuz #1940325 04/24/22 09:57 AM
Legend
Legend
And don't ever forget this...The Rish is always right...The Rish is always right...The Rish is always right.

3/10/21

Mahomes is the only QB I'd clearly take over Baker. He had 2 or 3 incompletions in the Super Bowl that were probably in the top 10 passes I've ever seen.

I also believe that Baker is better than Watson. I actually think Watson is great and overrated at the same time.

I believe Baker is better than Murray, Jackson, Burrow. I think the gap is actually very wide between Baker and those QBs. I think Burrow will end up being very average.

I think it's a toss up between Baker and Allen. I think they are almost the exact same player. Allen has a bigger arm and is taller. Other than that, they both make a ton of plus level throws, love the game, and their teammates love them.

I'm looking forward to a Baker Allen AFCCG next year.

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
M
Legend
Legend
M
“I’m flabbergasted at how the Browns could mismanage this so poorly,” Griffin said, per Cleveland.com. “They should have traded Baker Mayfield before the ink dried on Deshaun Watson…They trashed Baker in the media. Now they’re stuck with a quarterback they don’t want and an $18 million price tag. Teams know they have no leverage.”

- You know the Baker detractors are happy to use players silence over Baker as proof positive none of them support him. But actually hear the words of a former Browns QB and I would not be surprised to see that opinion dismissed or simply ignored.

- I don't see the attraction for Baker being a backup for a year behind Tom Brady. At the end of the year, Brady is free to sign anywhere, so Tampa could end up grooming and improving Baker but never see the return themselves. I would have thought Tampa more likely if Baker had at least 2 years remaining.

FATE #1940333 04/24/22 10:25 AM
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by FATE

3/10/21

Mahomes is the only QB I'd clearly take over Baker. He had 2 or 3 incompletions in the Super Bowl that were probably in the top 10 passes I've ever seen.

I also believe that Baker is better than Watson. I actually think Watson is great and overrated at the same time.

I believe Baker is better than Murray, Jackson, Burrow. I think the gap is actually very wide between Baker and those QBs. I think Burrow will end up being very average.

I think it's a toss up between Baker and Allen. I think they are almost the exact same player. Allen has a bigger arm and is taller. Other than that, they both make a ton of plus level throws, love the game, and their teammates love them.

So what are you saying...the Rish is not always right?

2 members like this: mgh888, FATE
FATE #1940343 04/24/22 11:01 AM
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I

3/10/21

The comment about Burrow is the funniest. He only had 12 ,games to his credit
And he called him average. I guess leading the league in completion %
Deep ball TDs , and taking a team to a SB is average.
So what does that make Baker then since was,never able to do what Burrow
Has done in 1.5 years

P
Legend
Legend
P
The Baker bashing continues yet the Browns are still sitting on Mayfield's future. Watson is the new Browns QB, the way they've handled Mayfield is amateur.

Baker bashing? The Browns don't want him and neither does the rest of the NFL apparently. Yet, excuse makers like you continue to play "Once Upon a Time..." Are you going to follow him to his new team? I wonder if the Ottawa Rough Riders need a qb and have a message board? Just kidding, but damn, the evidence is in and a few of you are still reinventing the reality of the situation. He is not a good qb and is an emotional midget. I doubt many teams want that combo.

Proof of the post you quoted.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
I wonder about the Seattle rumors. A few ramblings.

--DK Metcalf openly went crazy on Russel Wilson this year when the latter missed some throws. It will be hilarious to see him go off on Baker.

--Maybe they can avoid that situation by trading Metcalf for Baker? Sure.

More Baker bashing. You are a self fulfilling prophesy for those accusing others of Baker bashing.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c,

Baker bashing? Okay. I can't wait until the cancer is down the road, and gone, gone, gone.

[Linked Image]

FL_Dawg #1940373 04/24/22 12:56 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
As we're seeing now, one form of cancer isn't really that much better than another form of cancer.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1940381 04/24/22 01:02 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
As we're seeing now, one form of cancer isn't really that much better than another form of cancer.

Yes, Baker leaves the same bad taste in my mouth as does Johnny Manziel....ect and the rest of the pretenders.

[Linked Image]

FL_Dawg #1940385 04/24/22 01:07 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
You obviously either ignore what's going on or pretend it isn't happening. Things will be ugly for quite some time. Sticking your fingers in your ears and going "la, la, la" won't change that.

#gmstrong
FL_Dawg #1940391 04/24/22 01:11 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
I get people not having faith in Baker. I get some don't like him because he was brash. I get some would never forgive the flag plant. No issue with any of that really.

But to put him in the same bracket as JM ? That doesn't seem very fair.

JM
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/ManzJo00.htm
Career - 14 games. 2-6 record. 57% completion. 7TD 7INT

BM
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MayfBa00.htm
Career - 60 games. 29-30 record. 61.6% completion. 92TD 56 INT

It doesn't change where we are. But I think there is a galaxy of difference between the two.

mgh888 #1940399 04/24/22 01:29 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
At this point it has nothing to do with being fair. I'm pretty sure you've figured that part out by now.

#gmstrong
mgh888 #1940420 04/24/22 02:26 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by mgh888
I get people not having faith in Baker. I get some don't like him because he was brash. I get some would never forgive the flag plant. No issue with any of that really.

But to put him in the same bracket as JM ? That doesn't seem very fair.

JM
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/ManzJo00.htm
Career - 14 games. 2-6 record. 57% completion. 7TD 7INT

BM
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MayfBa00.htm
Career - 60 games. 29-30 record. 61.6% completion. 92TD 56 INT

It doesn't change where we are. But I think there is a galaxy of difference between the two.

Window dressing ... the context is that they where both pretenders.

[Linked Image]

FATE #1940427 04/24/22 03:30 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C

3/10/21

You got a link for that thread?

FL_Dawg #1940429 04/24/22 03:32 PM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
It's going to be nice to not have to read the same manufactured stuff all the time like how our scheme sucks, the FO really blew it, the OL sucks, worst WRs in the league, the D sucks. What's crazy, they call anyone who evaluates Baker appropriately "a hater," yet their continued bashing of the coaching and Baker's supporting cast is not "hating." Almost every single person who talks about football said the same things about the Browns in that we had a great roster and a really smart coach who had a good scheme and was a good play caller. Their question has always been Baker. But, the Cleveland Baker fans can't acknowledge that and trashed the Browns over and over and over again.

A
Legend
Legend
A
I've said it before, I'll say it again: Baker was hurt last year. DW had BETTER be a huge improvement.

Sorry, I'm not a Baker apologist. I'm a Browns fan. I've also been let down so, so MANY times.......after a draft, after a signing.

I'm done with "this is the piece" crap.

DW put's up, fantastic numbers and wins, IF he plays, or, he's a bust. I'll call it as I see it.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
That's your right as a fan. No worries. On the other hand, I am sick of certain folks trashing so many parts of the Brown's organization on a daily basis and then turning around and calling anyone who criticizes Baker a "hater."

There are plenty of Baker fans that don't resort to that BS. Guys like Dave, Fate, bone, etc. Hell, I don't think I ever read you blame Baker's supporting cast and coaching staff, so my comments were not directed towards you. It's just unfair to hate on all the other Browns, including players, coaches, and the FO and then call others "haters" because they criticize Baker.

M
Legend
Legend
M
It's going to be nice to not have to read the same manufactured stuff all the time like how our scheme sucks, the FO really blew it, the OL sucks, worst WRs in the league, the D sucks. What's crazy, they call anyone who evaluates Baker appropriately "a hater," yet their continued bashing of the coaching and Baker's supporting cast is not "hating." Almost every single person who talks about football said the same things about the Browns in that we had a great roster and a really smart coach who had a good scheme and was a good play caller. Their question has always been Baker. But, the Cleveland Baker fans can't acknowledge that and trashed the Browns over and over and over again.

I guess it's hoping too much too see that since you came back and wanted to pile on Baker - it's been you that's mentioned these "excuses" over and over. I guess it's too much to see that you even made a post in pure football writing about what Seattle Fans will or won't say about Baker, and then you wrote how the Seattle fans would recreate the same "excuses" for Baker....

And no doubt because I've pointed this out - you'll rant I'm the bad guy with an agenda? As opposed to what I am doing which is pointing out your claptrap and hypocrisy. I can't wait for the next time you tell posters what they should have written about or what "pure football" is supposed to be about.... please - go ahead and defend this ::::>>>

Last edited by mgh888; 04/24/22 07:01 PM.

mgh888 #1940449 04/24/22 07:19 PM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
j/c:

In a previous post, I mentioned how Baker was ranked 31st among NFL QBs in QBR during one-score games in the 4th quarter since 2018. I also brought up how Burns wrote an article after the GB game, which I think was week 12, on how Baker had the worst QBR of any qb in the 4th quarter during the current season. I have always felt that Baker's coaches did not trust him in crunch time. I remember plays like the OBJ reverse after Baker was crapping the bed late in the game against the Cowboys a couple of years ago, or handoffs on 3rd and even 4th and long, or other trick plays. I came across another article along similar lines. While the criteria may seem a bit odd in parts, the theme remains the same. Baker has not performed well in the clutch during his career. Here is the article:

Baker Mayfield Has Disturbing Stat In ‘Crunch Time’

By Pat Opperman January 2, 2022 @opperman_pat

Baker Mayfield won over legions of fans with a record-setting rookie year and 2020’s long-awaited playoff appearance.

But the Cleveland Browns quarterback also owns the season he “lost himself” and this year’s disappointments.

Fans and analysts largely agree a first overall draft pick usually defines himself before the end of his fourth season.

LATEST VIDEOS

But there is an argument that excessive coaching turnover and injuries warrant the fifth year of evaluation.

To support their stands, fans and foes throw mostly-tainted statistical comparisons around social media.

There are “first four years” comparisons to past greats who sat out their rookie seasons.

And a popular “Best Browns QB Ever” uses Bernie Kosar’s first 47 starts versus Baker’s stats from his first 57 games.

It is more meaningful to compare Mayfield to modern peers rather than those from other eras of NFL history.

So, does a recent data analysis from the Athletics’ Ben Baldwin warrant more respectful consideration?

Is Baker Mayfield The Worst Crunch-Time QB?

Baldwin created a table of data to outline how every quarterback since 1999 performed in crunch time.

He defined “crunch time” as “tied or trailing by 16 points or less in the final 10 minutes of a game.”

In other words, he wanted to see how a quarterback did when trailing by 2 scores or less in the final minutes.

Using an advanced data point called “successful drives over expected,” Baldwin ranked 108 passers.

Baker Mayfield, per the data, is not the worst crunch-time quarterback currently in the NFL.

But he is pretty bad, ranking 101st, ahead of 4 other current starters, three of whom are injury replacements.

Using the “over expected” data eliminates unrealistic possessions, like trying to go 90 yards in 10 seconds.

Quarterbacks don’t have to win the game to get credit for a successful drive, either.

Scoring to pull within a touchdown is a successful drive, even if the offense doesn’t get a chance to tie.

Likewise, tying the game earns the QB a successful drive, even if his team subsequently loses.

How Baker’s Latest Game Measures Up

Mayfield took a lot of heat for his 4 interceptions in the Christmas Day game

But Mayfield had 2 crunch-time possessions to redeem himself and that would qualify for Baldwin’s graph.

Cleveland scored their last touchdown on a drive that started with 6:41 on the clock.

It doesn’t matter if Kevin Stefanski was ready to settle for a field goal, running D’Ernest Johnson on 3rd and 10.

Johnson’s 30-yard scamper set up Mayfield’s 5-yard touchdown pass to Anthony Schwartz- a successful drive.

Cleveland’s defense held and delivered the ball back to Mayfield with just over 2 minutes to play.

75 yards in 2 minutes is not a given and might be considered an “over-expected” success if the Browns scored.

But with 3 timeouts and no other mitigating factors, expectations increase back to normal.

And since missed penalties are part of the game, that final interception probably cost Mayfield in Baldwin’s rankings.

As per Baldwin’s data, Case Keenum doesn’t offer a much better option, coming in at 99 on his list.

What Does It Mean For the Browns?

Andrew Berry has a tough decision to make at quarterback after the season.

In a game geared toward parity, Cleveland’s passer has to be able to deliver in crunch time.

But he also has to get the team in a position to be in crunch time.

If the team is always ahead in the fourth quarter, nobody cares if the quarterback can bring a team back.

But crunch time includes holding a lead, running out a clock effectively, and building a lead.

And that opens the door for a quarterback-versus-offensive play-caller debate.

There are other data to support a deficit in Mayfield’s crunch-time game.

He is 0-5 in comeback chances this season (2-14 career) and sports one of the NFL’s lowest 4th-quarter QBRs.

And while injuries might take a toll, Mayfield misfired on 2 crunch-time drives in the Week 1 loss at Kansas City.

When all is said and done, this is just one more data point for Berry to consider in 2022.

1 member likes this: FL_Dawg
cfrs15 #1940456 04/24/22 09:35 PM
Legend
Legend

3/10/21

https://www.dawgtalkers.net/ubbthre...-mayfield-part-iv-a-new-hope#Post1829424

That doozie was on page 8...

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Robert Griffin III Says Browns Bungled Mayfield Situation
The problem for the Browns in finding Mayfield a new team is that they have little to no leverage in the situation. The relationship with Mayfield is beyond repair, he’s due a large chunk of cash on his fifth-year option and they’ve already signed capable backups in Jacoby Brissett and Joshua Dobbs.

Former Browns quarterback and Heisman winner Robert Griffin the III sounded off on Thursday’s edition of “Get Up!” on ESPN about how Cleveland has handled the situation.

This is ridiculously stupid

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Report: Browns to move Baker Mayfield soon, will have to take on part of contract
Brandon Little - Yesterday 9:01 PM

According to a report, the Cleveland Browns will be moving on from Baker Mayfield during the NFL Draft.

The NFL Draft kicks off Thursday and will last three days. During that period, there is a very good chance that Baker Mayfield could be traded, according to a report.

“The feeling around the league is that Baker Mayfield will be traded on the second or third day of the draft,” said Tony Pauline of Pro Football Network.

That isn’t the only interesting part of the report, there is a very good chance that the Browns will have to eat some of the money. Mayfield is playing on a fifth-year option, which is nearly $19 million. Cleveland will have to pay some of that money, essentially buying a draft pick from wherever Mayfield is traded.

“The Browns will have to pay a large portion of Mayfield’s contract in 2022 after they trade him.”

Cleveland very well could be paying Mayfield north of half of that contract to play elsewhere next season. The most realistic spots remain the Seattle Seahawks and Carolina Panthers — two teams that have been rumored since Cleveland acquired Deshaun Watson.

“If the Seahawks trade back into the bottom part of Round 1 for a signal-caller, as I mentioned Friday, they’ll be out of the Mayfield sweepstakes,” said Pauline.

Round two and three of the draft will be held this coming Friday. That is where it will be interesting to watch and see if the Browns will move Mayfield to another team that day.

Mayfield’s time in Northeast Ohio could be coming to an end very soon.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
B
Legend
Legend
B
I'd be thinking on day 3...rounds 4-7. I am thinking. 5th rounder, us paying 8-10 mil of the contract. If Berry can work some magic, maybe another conditional next year if the team signs Baker to a new contract.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Rishuz #1940471 04/25/22 07:17 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
I heard from someone who would know that he was a problem in the locker room was the final straw.

I'm surprised (or maybe I shouldn't be) that this hasn't gotten more traction.

As a point of clarification:

So this was the comment that was a reply to Vers that made me believe that Vers had the unconfirmed source inside the locker room.... If it wasn't Vers that said it, I'm not sure how it could be a reply and a quote.

With that said - I don't know how quoting another Baker article is an answer to a question about writing a pure football post about Seahawk Fans and trying to put words in their mouths about Baker who isn't even on their team. I guess it's not and is simply a deflection.

Last edited by mgh888; 04/25/22 07:30 AM.

FATE #1940472 04/25/22 07:29 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M

That thread seems to be following the Pittsburgh playoff win. It's before the KC game where but for a missed targeting call the Browns would have won.

It's also TWO games before Baker would get his shoulder torn his 2021 season was wrecked. It's interesting how quickly we all forget how highly Baker was being thought of at the end of 2020 and before we saw him play so badly in 2021. Here's a handful of quotes that I found amusing given how many fans and most of the media did a 360 change after he got injured:

Baker Mayfield against the blitz tonight: 12-of-13, 10.5 yards per attempt — career-best performance for Baker vs. blitz via
@ESPNStatsInfo
#browns

https://twitter.com/Jake_Trotter/status/1340878404959256577

Originally Posted by Pdawg

For clarity - I am not claiming Baker is as good as Watson. I am not saying he's going to be a top 5 QB in the NFL. What I am saying is I think everyone seems to have forgotten how high the ceiling appeared before he got injured. After this game - after the two KC games where Baker was more than adequate - Baker got hurt. And now we are where we are.

Last edited by mgh888; 04/25/22 07:30 AM.

1 member likes this: WSU Willie
mgh888 #1940483 04/25/22 09:17 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
I am not saying he isn't good. I wanted to draft the guy. I think Baker will still be a good QB in the league.

My only problems with the guy are when he came out last season saying it was his body and only he will bench himself, then the way he has handled this whole off season.

There also seemed to be some discord between Baker and Stefanski. Only those involved would know what caused that, but it showed.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
FATE #1940485 04/25/22 09:21 AM
C
Legend
Legend
C

3/10/21

https://www.dawgtalkers.net/ubbthre...-mayfield-part-iv-a-new-hope#Post1829424

That doozie was on page 8...

A lot of horrible takes going on in this thread.

Ballpeen #1940491 04/25/22 09:36 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
I am with you with the exception of how/why/who decided Baker kept playing when hurt ... having a QB willing and able to play through that injury was perhaps admirable. But the decision on whether he plays or not is 100% on the HC. I've seen people speculate that it was Baker's decision or whatever - but if you are the HC, all decisions relating to who plays, when, how much etc ... all 100% on the HC.

I've said Baker just needs to say nothing on social media or anywhere - and just get his head down and focus on putting himself in the best situation to succeed he can. As someone else has pointed out - the only thing Baker has done this offseason is write a goodbye letter to Cleveland, and a 90 minute long podcast. We know that whatever he said was going to get scrutinized in the media and there are plenty who do not like Baker... the only negatives out of the 90 minutes was a statement where he said he felt disrespected and a comment about joining a team where veterans were getting paid and who were more interested in their pay than in winning and he didn't know how to motivate them. I don't know if that was Jamie Collins, one of the vet WR we signed who were bad? So yes - I don't think he should say anything, but really, what he's actually said really doesn't amount to a hill of beans. It's really the perception that he said something and that he's butt hurt and entitled than much else. Given the chip on his shoulder his entire collegiate and pro career it's understandable but his actual words and deeds this offseason don't reflect some of the criticism.

Last edited by mgh888; 04/25/22 09:40 AM.

E
Legend
Legend
E
"and neither does the rest of the NFL apparently."

you know that statement just is not true.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
cfrs15 #1940495 04/25/22 09:56 AM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
j/c:

I am of the opinion that Baker's great year in 2020 was a lot more about his supporting cast and coaching than on how good Baker was. That is why I told Diam before the 2021 season began that he should not be surprised if the Browns moved on from Baker before the start of the 2023 season.

Here are a few advanced passing stats from pro-football-reference.

Baker had more time to throw than any qb in the league. Watson's time to throw was a tie for 10th w/6 other QBs. Considering Watson is way more mobile than Baker, this stat is somewhat surprising.

Hurries is another important advanced passing stat. Baker was "hurried" 49 times while Watson was hurried on 75 attempts, which was the second most in the league. Interestingly, Herbert faced the most hurries.

Accuracy is another important factor. Some folks have marveled over Baker's accuracy. I have seen him being very accurate at times, but he has always made a ton of inaccurate throws. Look at the following from the 2020 season........BEFORE he was hurt in 2021.

Overall accuracy. Baker ranked 18th. Watson was 1st.

Percentage of poor throws, excluding spikes and throw-aways. Baker was 6th worst. Watson was 24th worst.

Percentage of On Target throws, excluding spikes and throw-aways. Baker ranked 28th and Watson was ranked 5th best.

Here is a link for those of you who love to investigate things like advanced passing stats to paint a clearer picture of the game.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/passing_advanced.htm

FATE #1940498 04/25/22 10:31 AM
R
Legend
Legend
R
I was pretty high on Baker after 2020. I am prone to the same fanaticism as everyone else. Maybe it was wishful thinking, but I really did not believe that Baker's second half of that year was all Stefanski. I saw Baker consistently getting to his 2nd and 3rd reads and playing really well. I thought the proverbial light bulb had gone off. Other than the last two drives in KC, he had two really strong playoff games as well. I was for sure it was the 4 coaches and 4 OCs in three years that was the culprit and we finally had the real Baker Mayfield.

Maybe I was just drinking the kool-aid and high on that playoff season. I was clearly wrong. I knew after the failed drive in KC after week one that it was going revert back to the mean. Bad feeling in my gut.

And doozie? Answer me this...how does one decide to put the time and effort into researching people's old posts? Like that activity is so foreign to me it would never cross my mind to do that. Is this place that important to you that you would take that time and effort in an arrempt to embarrass someone? This place is so weird.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum The Bake Show

Link Copied to Clipboard