Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1938045 04/09/22 09:30 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Last edited by GratefulDawg; 04/09/22 09:39 AM.

#gmSTRONG
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Is that the Philadelphia Catsup Mustards?
Man what an awful uniform.

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

#gmSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
The Browns Picked Up Some Great Players from the USFL:

1. Mike Johnson MLB - Played for the Browns from 1986-1993 2 Pro-Bowls 1 All-Pro

2. Frank Minnefield CB - Played For the Browns from: 1984-1992 Named to 2nd Team all 1980's Team, All-Rookie Team, and 4 Pro-Bowls

3. Kevin Mack RB - Played For the Browns from: 1985-1993 Named to the All-Rookie Team and 2 Pro-Bowls

4. Dan Fike OG - Played For the Browns from: 1985-1992 Started 102 Games

5. Gerold (Ice Cube) McNeal - Played for the Browns from 1986-1989 1 Pro-Bowl

Last edited by PastorMarc; 04/09/22 11:09 AM.

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
1 member likes this: GratefulDawg
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
USFL rules school: point-after-touchdown options include a 3-point try

In an attempt to make games more exciting for fans, as well as keep trailing teams in the hunt for a comeback win, the USFL is offering their teams 3 different options for their extra point (or points) following a touchdown.

The first 2 options may sound familiar, since they are the only options offered by the NFL. A team can attempt the traditional 1-point try via a scrimmage kick, snapped from the 15-yard line. Also, they can go for 2 by running a play from the 2-yard line. The third option is to run a play from the 10-yard line, and if successful, the offense will add an additional 3 points.

This is not the first time a professional spring league has offered a 3-point try. The XFL in 2020 offered the same 3-point try from the same yard line on the field. The major differences are that in the USFL, the defense can return a try, but for only 2 points if they are successful, regardless of the try attempt. In contrast, the XFL awarded the defense whatever point value the offense was trying for if they were able to create a turnover and run it back for a score.

Once a team declares which try they would like to attempt, that decision is final and cannot be changed. Even calling a timeout will not give a team the option to change their mind, and a penalty will not allow for a change, either. Some teams in the NFL have enforced defensive penalties on tries by moving the line of scrimmage to go for 2 instead of kicking, but this will not be allowed in the USFL.

The 3-point try keeps teams in the game, as an 18-point deficit is still a two-score game.

https://www.footballzebras.com/2022...touchdown-options-include-a-3-point-try/

#gmSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
I plan to watch at least two out of the four games televised this week-end. I know what a lot of people say and yes, it's true. This will not be NFL level football. I don't expect it will even be close. But then again neither are high school and small college games and that's never prevented me from watching and going to those games. It's all about the love of the game for me and I do love the game. Being able to watch football at a time of year when I'm football starved is a blessing in my eyes.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Terrell Owens Scores Touchdown for Johnny Manziel’s FCF Team in Debut

The second season of the Fan Controlled Football League is now underway, and there is already a high-profile player with a touchdown.

Hall of Fame wide receiver Terrell Owens, who chose to return to football for the FCF Zappers at 48 years-old, scored in his first game with the team on Saturday night, hauling in a reception in the back of the end zone.

Owens is teammates with Johnny Manziel on the Zappers, but Manziel was not the quarterback when Owens caught the touchdown. However, a Manziel-Owens connection could be in play as the season unfolds.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/04/17/terrell-owens-scores-johnny-manziel-team-fan-controlled-football

#gmSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Maybe Baker can get a starting gig in the FCF.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Troll.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Troll.

LOL...OldColdDawg isn't happy with me these days... rofl

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
I loved the USFL spring league in the early 80s. I watched some of the Houston Gamblers Michigan Panthers game. With very little crowd it seemed like a dead atmosphere. IT is how I would imagine a low ranked D-1 college spring game. I questioned how it would feel to have all games played in the same stadium so few hometown fans for 7 of the 8 teams. I think they need to pump crowd noise in like the NFL did during CIVID. It just didn't hold my interest. As an aside, the helmet cam on the running back made me nauseous. I love teh idea of spring football but this needs something. Just so you knwo I am not lying, I will watched ful games of old USFL on YouTube.

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by PortlandDawg
Is that the Philadelphia Catsup Mustards?
Man what an awful uniform.

I was thinking food too, but more along the lines or port wine cheese. Either way, it's pretty gross.

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by PastorMarc

1. Mike Johnson MLB - Played for the Browns from 1986-1993 2 Pro-Bowls 1 All-Pro

2. Frank Minnefield CB - Played For the Browns from: 1984-1992 Named to 2nd Team all 1980's Team, All-Rookie Team, and 4 Pro-Bowls

3. Kevin Mack RB - Played For the Browns from: 1985-1993 Named to the All-Rookie Team and 2 Pro-Bowls

Dan Fike had the distinction, and may still be the only guy to block for 2 different pro teams who had 2, 1,000 yard rushers the same year. Mack & Byner with the Browns, and I think Gary Anderson and Greg Boone for TB Bandits. Could be wrong on Greg Boone abut am pretty sure Gary Anderson was one of them.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN

Dan Fike had the distinction, and may still be the only guy to block for 2 different pro teams who had 2, 1,000 yard rushers the same year. Mack & Byner with the Browns, and I think Gary Anderson and Greg Boone for TB Bandits. Could be wrong on Greg Boone abut am pretty sure Gary Anderson was one of them.

Wow, this is great information from both you and Pastor. I didn't realize any of that. Kudos.

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN

Wow, this is great information from both you and Pastor. I didn't realize any of that. Kudos.

Thanks Vers, I don't know what I did yesterday, but I can remember irrelevant stuff like that. Go figure. The Browns had a great supplemental draft of USFL players that first year.

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
V
Legend
Legend
V
I love reading stuff like that, Fort. I really missed being educated on some football topics while I was away from the board. Thanks again to you and Pastor for the knowledge.

1 member likes this: FORTBROWNFAN
B
Legend
Legend
B
I am all for the USFL.

Sometimes it takes guys a little time to develop.

Sometimes the NFL just makes mistakes or guys get cut due to "numbers".

If nothing else, it gives these guys a place to go play and make some money doing so.

I don't see any downside. I think the NFL would be smart to partner with the USFL in some way.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I plan to watch at least two out of the four games televised this week-end. I know what a lot of people say and yes, it's true. This will not be NFL level football. I don't expect it will even be close. But then again neither are high school and small college games and that's never prevented me from watching and going to those games. It's all about the love of the game for me and I do love the game. Being able to watch football at a time of year when I'm football starved is a blessing in my eyes.

No, but all things being equal it will be good football. All, or at least most of the players in the league got a sniff of the NFL, so it will be like a good level college game.

I think sometimes us fans get a little "stuck-up" about the NFL. If the NFL ran a minor league system, this would be like their AAA teams playing. Anybody who knows baseball knows you see some really good baseball being played in the minor leagues, especially once you get to AA and above.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
I agree. I enjoyed the games. I will say that I agree with Fort about one thing. It does seem strange that all of their games are played in Birmingham. It seems counterproductive to bringing in crowds and fans from teams as far away as New Jersey and Michigan. It's like having a football team with no home games. Just seems like a very strange concept. But I really enjoyed the games.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
It's probably for economy.

I don't think the stadium in Birmingham is used for much, so it is open for use.

The big deal is teams don't have to ship equipment all over the country. Just leave it in Brimingham. You may have entire teams just staying there for the season in one of those extended stay places. That is probably cheaper than flying 2 ways every week. I am sure they could probably work a good rate doing that, and the city and state may be waiving any room taxes, which are pretty high nearly everywhere.

The key at this point isn't game attendance. The key is the TV deal and not having teams fold due to cash problems during the season. If they can make the 1st season or two, then it might work. Being able to reduce travel costs to nothing and just have room costs, that can be managed.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
The economics of it makes sense to me it just seems it would make it hard to get fans in the locations where the teams are actually based to get on board. But yeah, starting out as a new league the economics of will dictate the decisions.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

#gmSTRONG
T
Legend
Legend
T
It's all about the level of play, the abilities and top notched ness of the level of play.
I gave the USFL a chance.
I was pretty sure I wasn't liking the level of play, the defenders... it just wasn't a polished product.

Then I saw a QB make a throw that ended up a score, the ball was in the air, for a LONG TIME, maybe near 4 seconds, and the ball was thrown over the middle.
Now, oh my gosh, I'm pretty sure anyone could have intercepted that (otherother), I think, well if the level of play cannot even match even organized high school athletics imo, then I don't want to watch.
I have not watched another minute of the USFL after that play. frown
It's all about the level of play, the top notched-ed-ness of the level of play.

( " Everybody freeze, everybody get down on the ground") ("well, which is it young fella, if'n I freeze, I can't rightly drop! and if'n I drop, I'ma gonna be in motion" )
(" Just get down on the ground, you can forget that part about freezing" " That is until they get down there, right Gayle" )
( " What'd I tell ya about using our names, Can't you even TRY to remember that!!) ( Not even your code name? )
( Ohh!, Oh yeah, .. Didya ALL HEAR THAT, we're using CoDE names!! ) (( Raising Arizona ))
The USFL lacks the level of play, it's not a good product.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
I hope the usfl folds soon.
I think the 7s football league on stadium is pretty entertaining, they don't wear helmets but it is exciting.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
I Tell you, the 7 on 7s league, has got to be a much better league to watch than anything the usfl could put out.

The USFL is like watching two teams that aren't even competitive or caring about the game of football.
The 7s league, with no helmets, is competitive and exciting. The XFL and that crazy league, (spring league) also were better versions than the usfl imo. This- 7s league, they really get into it. Sure it's barely football, but well at least these aren't the pros' This is like watching that brett farve and jerry rice "ringers" commercial, they aren't even wearing helmuts but they are playing for the right to win.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
.....while we're right in the thick of training camp? I hope her responsibilities with the Browns aren't affected.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
R
Legend
Legend
R
What are her responsibilities with the Browns? What does a chief of staff on a professional football team do?

T
Legend
Legend
T
As I read once before but wanted to confirm.
Google, what does an nfl chief of staff do

A Chief of Staff provides a buffer between a Chief Executive and a myriad of constituencies. The Chief of Staff generally works behind the scenes to solve problems, mediate disputes, and deal with issues before they bubble up to the Chief Executive.
copy/paste ^

I thought, one time, I saw a ... some kind of video that described, (someone) would be doing everything from making sure uniforms and e@uipment were traveling and in the locker waiting on the player when the player arrived, to the stadium.
(behind the scenes, solve problems and mediate disputes,) yeah let's hope that's not effected.

Legend
Legend
A Chief of Staff provides a buffer between a Chief Executive and a myriad of constituencies. The Chief of Staff generally works behind the scenes to solve problems, mediate disputes, and deal with issues before they bubble up to the Chief Executive.
copy/paste ^

So, while she's gone coaching her women's team, Hunt decides he'll sit out team drills and wants a new contract? thumbsup

Last edited by jfanent; 08/07/22 01:18 PM.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
J/c

Didn’t realize she was coaching that right now … strange to miss TC in my opinion

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
J/c

Didn’t realize she was coaching that right now … strange to miss TC in my opinion

She is probably gaining as much or more doing that. She doesn't have that many critical duties with the Browns. It would be different than if she was a full time position coach. Her position is kind of a carved out position that can mean many things.

And by saying not that many critical duties I am not implying what she does isn't important.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
Yeah who knows what she does in an official role .. I’ve been a part of staffs where roles become intertwined and gray.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
2 members like this: GratefulDawg, Ballpeen
Legend
Legend
Leading the Americans was head coach CALLIE BROWNSON, Chief of Staff and Assistant Wide Receivers Coach for the Cleveland Browns, and her coaching staff possessing more than 90 years of football coaching and playing experience spanning U.S. National Teams, NFL clubs, women’s professional football leagues, and college and high school programs. Brownson also was a player on the 2013 and 2017 U.S. Women’s gold-medal teams.

Congrats Callie and congrats Team USA!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: GratefulDawg
V
Legend
Legend
V
I 100% support more opportunities for women and minorities in professional sports. I think the Browns have done a great job of providing opportunities to both groups since the Haslams have owned the team.

I thought it was really cool when Sarah Thomas, Jennifer King and Callie Brownson were in one NFL game last year. One official and two coaches. We need more progress like that.

Legend
Legend
I’d say the Browns are at the forefront of hiring women and minorities and giving them opportunities. I can’t think of a franchise who’s done more in that area.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
I’d say the Browns are at the forefront of hiring women and minorities and giving them opportunities. I can’t think of a franchise who’s done more in that area.

Under Bruce Arians, Tampa Bay has done a lot as well.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Yeah good point

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Other Football Leagues

Link Copied to Clipboard