Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#1939713 04/20/22 07:49 PM
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Cleveland Browns players embracing Deshaun Watson while putting QB's legal situation aside

Nate Ulrich

Akron Beacon Journal
April 20, 2022
link

BEREA, Ohio — For Cleveland Browns players, the first rule of Deshaun Watson's legal situation woes is you don't talk about Deshaun Watson's legal situation.

Watson's new teammates who addressed media Wednesday at CrossCountry Mortgage Campus complimented the $230 million quarterback and steered clear of any conversation about the 22 active lawsuits he's facing from women accusing him of sexual misconduct during massage appointments.

None of the players would disclose whether Watson has broached the subject of the allegations since the Browns began their voluntary offseason workout program Tuesday with what coach Kevin Stefanski deemed “good” attendance.

“Obviously, we're going to keep that between us,” backup quarterback Jacoby Brissett said. “But, yeah, I'll leave it at that.”

Stefanski sidestepped the question, too.

“I'm not going to get into what guys are talking about necessarily,” Stefanski said. “I'll tell you [Watson] has done a nice job of being around the guys.”

Stefanski said he considers the offseason program valuable because it allows coaches to teach schemes and the team to bond.

“Putting people around each other and starting to develop those relationships, it is really important,” Stefanksi said.

Watson has denied all wrongdoing, and two Texas grand juries declined last month to indict him on 10 criminal complaints.

“Obviously I’m getting to know him now that we’re on the same team. The relationship is growing,” Brissett said. “I wouldn’t say we’re best friends, but I can see why people gravitate to him. He seems like a really good kid, good dude.

“He’s very upbeat, a very joyful guy to be around, so I‘m excited to see where the relationship goes and obviously being on the same team and being able to compete and play alongside each other.”

In the case of cornerback Denzel Ward, he is giving Watson the benefit of doubt and placing all of his faith into Browns brass. Ward said he trusts general manager Andrew Berry and owners Jimmy and Dee Haslam along with the moves they have made.

“I feel [Berry] and those guys, they did their due diligence and they took care of the responsibility of looking into everything they needed to look into with Deshaun and everything that's going on,” Ward said. “So I mean, I trust those guys. I trust what they did.

“Meeting Deshaun, he seems like a nice guy, and he's obviously a great talent, and I’m looking forward to continuing to build our relationship on and off the field.”

Ward said Watson and All-Pro defensive end Myles Garrett are planning trips the players can take together this offseason to foster camaraderie.

But at some point, Watson's legal trouble may interfere with his plans.

Attorneys for Watson and the plaintiffs reached an agreement last month to not schedule trials from Aug. 1 through March 1, 2023, ensuring hearings won't force him to miss football next season.

Yet Watson will likely receive an NFL suspension under the personal conduct policy, and he could miss parts of the offseason program due to court dates.

Stefanski said he had no answer for whether the Browns have gained a better understanding about when a decision on a suspension will be made. Last month at the owners meetings in Palm Beach, Florida, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said there was "no time frame" on a ruling.

As for Watson potentially missing a portion of the offseason program because of legal obligations, Stefanski said, “There are ongoing proceedings, and we'll make sure that we work through those.”

Has Stefanski encouraged Watson to address such matters with his fellow Browns players?

“I'm not going to get into specifics there, but I would tell you, with all of our new players, when you are first around your teammates, there is a process that you go through in getting to understand people, and you can’t do that all at once and have lunch with the entire team type of thing,” Stefanski said. “Over time, I think Deshaun, like all of our new players, understands that you have to spend time at it when you are talking about developing relationships.”

In the meantime, Browns players are thinking about football, even though they're not totally sure when Watson will be available to play.

Wide receiver Amari Cooper was vacationing in Dubai when he awoke to text messages informing him the Browns had traded for Watson on March 18.

“I was happy,” Cooper said. “I was elated.”

Cooper said he didn't know Watson well because they had only met once or twice prior to this year. But Cooper is very familiar with the quarterback's abilities on the field and a resume highlighted by three Pro Bowls.

“Certainly,” Stefanski said, “I think he's being embraced by his teammates.”

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Watson embraced by teammates in Browns’ offseason program

BY TOM WITHERS AP SPORTS WRITER
APRIL 20, 2022 7:48 PM
link

BEREA, OHIO Deshaun Watson made a strong impression on his new teammates long ago, scrambling for first downs and rifling touchdown passes while becoming an elite quarterback playing in Houston. Now in Cleveland, the one he makes off the field may matter more. Acquired from the Texans in a trade last month, Watson is getting to know the Browns better — and vice versa — during the team's voluntary offseason program, which will allow the three-time Pro Bowler to focus on football while legally fighting to clear his name.

The 26-year-old has been accused by 22 women of sexual misconduct or sexual assault in massage therapy sessions Watson set up via social media. And while he's not been charged with any criminal wrongdoing, Watson faces 22 civil lawsuits that could impact his availability with the Browns. There's also possible discipline from the NFL, now conducting its own inquiry to determine if Watson violated the league's personal-conduct policy.

On Wednesday, coach Kevin Stefanski acknowledged Watson's legal schedule could intersect with the team's. “We will work through those types of things,” Stefanski said. "As you know, there are ongoing proceedings, and we will make sure that we work through those.” The Browns did not make Watson available to the media Wednesday, leaving Stefanski and three players to address questions about what the QB's arrival means to a team that went all in to add him to its roster. Stefanski said Watson is fitting in fine. “He's being embraced by his teammates,’’ Stefanski said. “We’re in Day 2 of the offseason program so I think it’s like any player on your team that’s new, it takes time to develop relationships. Now is that time.”

Stefanski declined to say whether Watson addressed the Browns about his legal issues or if he was encouraged to do so. “I am not going to get into specifics there, but I would tell you, with all of our new players when you are first around your teammates, there is a process that you go through in getting to understand people, and you can’t do that all at once and have lunch with the entire team type of thing,” Stefanski said. “I think Deshaun, like all of our new players, understands that you have to spend time at it when you are talking about developing relationships. He has done a nice job of being around the guys.” Cornerback Denzel Ward, who officially signed his record-setting five-year, $100 million contract extension Tuesday, didn't have any prior relationship with Watson other than playing against him. “He seems like a great guy,” Ward said.

The Browns' decision to pursue Watson and ultimately give him a fully guaranteed $230 million contract has angered some fans. The optics are certainly questionable given the accusations against Watson, who sat out last season. While not speaking for all his teammates, Ward said he's confident general manager Andrew Berry and the club's front office did its research before bringing in a player with character questions. “I trust those guys. I trust what they did," Ward said. "Meeting Deshaun, he seems like a nice guy, and he’s obviously a great talent and I’m looking forward to continuing to build our relationship on and off the field.” Quarterback Jacoby Brissett will get to know Watson better than most. Signed as a free agent to be Cleveland's backup, Brissett could be the starter depending on whether Watson gets suspended. It's a familiar role for the veteran, who has made 30 career starts during stints with New England, Indianapolis and Miami.

Like Ward, Brissett had little personal background with Watson. They faced off twice a year in the AFC South, but Brissett said those interactions were limited to a postgame handshake and a few words. They'll share a room in Cleveland with Josh Dobbs. Brissett said his early interactions with Watson have been positive. “The relationship is growing,” he said. “I wouldn’t say we’re best friends, but I can see why people gravitate to him. He seems like a really good dude. He’s very upbeat, a very joyful guy to be around.” Along with staying ready, Brissett said he'll also be another level of support for Watson.

“I’ve been around this league to know that players, we deal with real life things, and it goes deeper than football,’’ Brissett said. Amari Cooper never imagined his trade to Cleveland this winter would be followed by a bigger one. Just days after the Browns acquired the four-time Pro Bowler from Dallas, Cooper was vacationing in Dubai when word reached him that Watson would be his teammate. “I was asleep,” Cooper said. “I woke up and saw a whole bunch of text messages and stuff like that. Guys were like, ‘Man, you are lucky.’ It was some of my former teammates, and I was like, ‘What?’ It was cool. I was happy about it.” Cooper has no doubt he and Watson will connect.

“He’s a great player. I’m a great player,” Cooper said. “We’re going to make it work by any means necessary.”

O
Legend
Legend
O
Curious that there is no mention of Baker in either article. I wonder if he showed up? Saw a pic on Twitter of them shaking hands, figured it was photoshopped. I'd love to read how Baker feels about DW. And Chubb too. He's quiet, but just because of the kind of man he seems to be, I can't imagine he doesn't have an opinion. These rah-rah articles, written to try to smooth things over with fans, shouldn't be titled, “Cleveland Browns players embracing Deshaun Watson while putting QB's legal situation aside”. The last thing I want to hear is they are giving him a pass. Unless and until he proves his innocents, I don't see how anyone can just blindly accept his word.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 04/20/22 09:04 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
ocd...Hopefully folks will keep Baker out of the thread..I wouldn't want to a good thread hy-jacked by someone holding a grudge against Baker.

I will say that initial reports of how teammates are treating Watson sound favorable. Best thing Watson could do is settle all the cases so everyone can focus on football.

Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
There’s a new sense of excitement amongst our players IMO. Watson is a legit franchise QB, which brings hope and legitimacy. If he remains on the field we will be much better.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
jc...

This is why I wish Watson and his team of legal advisers would try to get his legal matters settled. Along with the good news about Watson seeming to settle in with his new teammates comes the news from the legal situation he continues to face. In the article below comes a news that Watson might not have been using the message therapy that the Texans were providing to him and the entire team. That might help to explain why the clients lawyer is seeking information and records from the Texans.

Again, the sooner Watson takes care of the messy baggage he came to Cleveland with, the better it will be for everyone.

QB Deshaun Watson’s legal woes far from over as he reports to Browns

By JUAN A. LOZANO
Associated Press
Published: 4/20/2022 5:31:25 PM
Modified: 4/20/2022 5:30:09 PM
link

HOUSTON — While Deshaun Watson’s NFL career has resumed with the Cleveland Browns after grand juries declined to indict him on any criminal charges over sexual misconduct allegations, his legal problems remain far from over.

Lawsuits filed in Houston by 22 women who have accused him of sexual assault and harassment remain unresolved, with no trial date set. Watson has denied any wrongdoing, saying last month he has “never assaulted, disrespected or harassed any woman in my life.”

Tony Buzbee, the attorney for the 22 women, said while his clients have been disheartened that Watson is able to participate in NFL activities amid his legal troubles, the attorney is focused on collecting evidence, including depositions of the quarterback, in anticipation of going to trial in civil court.

“All this other stuff surrounding is just a bunch of noise because my singular focus is preparing the cases to be tried and I intend to win them,” Buzbee said.

But Rusty Hardin, Watson’s attorney, said it would be “ludicrous” for Watson to not be allowed to resume playing when criminal charges were declined by two grand juries and the civil cases are still going through the normal legal channels.

“What they want is for him to be punished without process and to be unemployed without process and that’s crazy,” Hardin said.

The women allege in their lawsuits that Watson exposed himself, touched them with his penis or kissed them against their will during massage appointments. One woman alleged Watson forced her to perform oral sex.

Two separate Texas grand juries last month declined to indict Watson on criminal complaints stemming from the allegations.

David Ring, a California-based attorney not connected to the lawsuits and who has represented victims of sexual assault, said while it was a “big victory” for Watson that he wasn’t indicted, negative information from the lawsuits could still be made public that might impact his eligibility to play and whether NFL fans fully embrace him.

“I think there’s a large segment of the NFL fan base out there that’s still very interested in the outcome of the civil cases and again the more information that comes out about him, the more damaging it could be,” said Ring.

Watson was set to be deposed for about 50 hours and Buzbee said he still has another 30 hours to go. Watson’s depositions, which are being done on separate days, could stretch into the summer.

Buzbee and Hardin have different views of how Watson’s depositions have gone so far.

Buzbee said that in the depositions, Watson has offered no reasons for why he contacted people on Instagram for massages and didn’t use professional services offered by the Houston Texans, his former team.

“He literally has no explanation as to why he went about his business this way,” Buzbee said.

Hardin said he is concerned the depositions are only being done so that certain information that’s seen as damaging can be made public and create pressure to get Watson to settle the cases.

“At the end of the day, they don’t shed much light on anything,” Hardin said of Watson’s depositions by Buzbee.

No civil trials were set to happen during the upcoming NFL season as both sides last month agreed to not schedule any trials between Aug. 1 and March 1.

Buzbee said he tried to have the first civil trial in July but Watson’s attorneys weren’t interested.

Hardin said there were some discussions about a possible July trial for one or two of the lawsuits but issues related to scheduling among the lawyers and the judge haven’t been resolved.

Ring said he expects that as the ongoing discovery process in the case, in which depositions, documents and other evidence is gathered, winds down, “serious settlement talks” will likely start. He said 95% of civil lawsuits end up being settled before trial.

“The odds are it’s going to be a settlement at some point,” Ring said.

Buzbee said he’s still planning on having a separate trial for each of the 22 lawsuits.

Hardin said there are no current settlement conversations, but added “a trial is not going to go well for” Buzbee.

P
Legend
Legend
P
You mean to tell me that watson and his attorney are professing his innocence? Imagine that.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
I pointed out two weeks ago that the whole season will be like this until this is over, one way or the other. If he settles, it looks very bad. Not sure how I would feel about that other than I WOULD NEVER SUPPORT HIM.

B
Legend
Legend
B
You would.

There comes a point in these cases where settling is the best course of action. Peace of mind come in to play. Settling doesn't mean you are guilty. It just means you aren't willing to fight the battle any longer.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
I pointed out two weeks ago that the whole season will be like this until this is over, one way or the other. If he settles, it looks very bad. Not sure how I would feel about that other than I WOULD NEVER SUPPORT HIM.

ocd...no doubt there will be some who believe Watson will look "guilty" if he settles but if he allows this to continue and more and more information becomes public, we end up with a drawn out episode that drips and drips information. I'm not a follower of statistics on how many civil cases end in settlement, but I would believe putting an end to Watson's case and settle would be a relief to many.

IMO, it would be best for the Browns franchise to put this matter behind them so some healing can begin.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Once the law decided there will not be any criminal charges I think a settlement in this case then became the most likely out come. Then after the settlement what punishment the NFL decides is warranted will be the final conclusion. My guess is the matter will get settled over the summer for an undisclosed $$$ per each of the 22 women. Then a 4 to 6 game suspension by the league.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
R
Legend
Legend
R
I'm predicting no suspension.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
You would.

That's easy to say, but morally bankrupt. NOPE. I'm going to be like a dog after a bone on him if he doesn't clear his name. I already want him out of Cleveland, just because of the shadow of this crap over his head, and I think there is a fair chance he is innocent. Don't give a damn about a dirty tainted SB. Would rather keep losing than quit being a decent person and root for a predator. But you do you, it's what everyone expects from you anyway.

All Pro
All Pro
A settlement isn’t the same as declare yourself guilty and escaping legal consequences isn’t the same as being innocent. If Watson accept these two conclusions he will also find the solution to move forward.

I say this again. Nobody cares if you drive a little bit too fast one time, continue do it 21 times more in a span of 24 months and you’re someone very few trust behind the wheel. The key word is 22.

P
Legend
Legend
P
You would.

There comes a point in these cases where settling is the best course of action. Peace of mind come in to play. Settling doesn't mean you are guilty. It just means you aren't willing to fight the battle any longer.

I do agree that often times settling is the best option. But often times people paint themselves into a corner just like watson did. I've never heard of an attorney who likes the idea of a client speaking out in public in a case where they ara facing accusations like these. Lawyers like for their clients to be quiet.

There's a reason for that. Watson has publicly stated that he refuses to settle because he wants to face all of his accusers in court to prove his innocence. Once you go out and say that, settling doesn't look so good.

Baker isn't the only QB under contract with the Browns that needs to learn to shut the hell up.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
I think there is quite a difference between Baker and his need to talk about his feelings ... which I loath ... and DW proclaiming his innocence. I think DW needs to put that out there and I have zero doubt it was discussed with his legal team AND the Browns. No idea how it plays out. I'd love for DW not to settle and to be exonerated - that would make me feel much, much better.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
All I can say is this: Watson is now the QB of my team, and thus all I can do is hope that he didn't do the things he has been accused of.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
2 members like this: Steubenvillian, PastorMarc
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c: I asked a question on the last thread, but it was locked afterwards. I'll ask again because I don't know all the details like some folks do.

Did the 22 women all go to the authorities first and file criminal complaints and then later hooked up w/the attorney and file the civil suits afterwards? Or were these filed as civil cases first and more and more women came forward as the civil cases gained momentum?

A
Legend
Legend
A
First question: No. Second question: Yes

1 member likes this: CapCity Dawg
V
Legend
Legend
V
Thank you.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Specifics have a lot of meaning in the long run

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Rishuz
I'm predicting no suspension.
I think when we made the trade we had a pretty good idea this was the case, as the NFL could just say “last year was his suspension, now we will fine him”

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by mgh888
I think there is quite a difference between Baker and his need to talk about his feelings ... which I loath ... and DW proclaiming his innocence. I think DW needs to put that out there and I have zero doubt it was discussed with his legal team AND the Browns. No idea how it plays out. I'd love for DW not to settle and to be exonerated - that would make me feel much, much better.

There may be a difference in the subject matter but otherwise there's no difference. When you say things for public consumption you should consider the consequences. DW stated he was innocent, would prove it in court and would refuse to settle with any of those women. Now if he does not measure up to those standards it will be used against him as it should be. However it won't be by many since we now live in a society where a person isn't held to the standards of honesty and accountability anymore.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
It's impossible to have a legitimate conversation with you on this topic given your sig.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
Yeah, I wouldn't go there. The kid deserves his day in court, a chance to clear his name. But the predator thing is still pretty heavily used in the Browns twitter-verse. So this ain't going away until he clears his name, no matter how posters on the board feel.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 04/24/22 01:19 AM.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I get it, and it wasn't intended as a put down...just more as a matter of fact.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Another example of why Watson and the Browns need to put this issue behind them..the sooner, the better.

The curious case of Deshaun Watson and the swanky hotel in Houston

USA TODAY
April 21, 2022, 5:01 AM
link

NFL quarterback Deshaun Watson liked to go somewhere special when he wanted to relax as a player for the Houston Texans.

It’s called The Houstonian, an upscale hotel and club that once served as the residence of former President George H.W. Bush. According to court records, Watson had an account there, liked to get massages there in his room and had his marketing manager arrange those rooms in advance.

But it’s also where at least two women say he exposed himself to them and touched them with his genitals during massage sessions in 2020.

And now it’s part of the fight for pretrial evidence after 22 women sued him last year and accused him of sexual misconduct during massage sessions, including the two at The Houstonian, according to court documents filed recently in Houston.

“He takes women in some of these cases to The Houstonian, which (offers luxury massage services to customers), but he’s bringing in women who aren’t even licensed in massage?” the attorney for the women, Tony Buzbee, said to USA TODAY Sports earlier month.

Watson's activity there has been subject to increased scrutiny in recent weeks as the pretrial discovery process has intensified. In one case, two weeks after meeting a woman on Instagram, he flew her in from Atlanta to give him a massage in his suite at The Houstonian, where she said he exposed himself and caused his genitals to touch her inappropriately on Aug. 28, 2020, according to her lawsuit against him.

NFL quarterback Deshaun Watson liked to go somewhere special when he wanted to relax as a player for the Houston Texans.

It’s called The Houstonian, an upscale hotel and club that once served as the residence of former President George H.W. Bush. According to court records, Watson had an account there, liked to get massages there in his room and had his marketing manager arrange those rooms in advance.

But it’s also where at least two women say he exposed himself to them and touched them with his genitals during massage sessions in 2020.

And now it’s part of the fight for pretrial evidence after 22 women sued him last year and accused him of sexual misconduct during massage sessions, including the two at The Houstonian, according to court documents filed recently in Houston.

“He takes women in some of these cases to The Houstonian, which (offers luxury massage services to customers), but he’s bringing in women who aren’t even licensed in massage?” the attorney for the women, Tony Buzbee, said to USA TODAY Sports earlier month.

Watson's activity there has been subject to increased scrutiny in recent weeks as the pretrial discovery process has intensified. In one case, two weeks after meeting a woman on Instagram, he flew her in from Atlanta to give him a massage in his suite at The Houstonian, where she said he exposed himself and caused his genitals to touch her inappropriately on Aug. 28, 2020, according to her lawsuit against him.

Instead of arranging to have this unlicensed therapist come all the way to Houston, there were easier massage options available to him that day, when his team, the Houston Texans, did not practice after holding a scrimmage the day before. The Houstonian offered professional luxury massage spa services at the Solaya Spa & Salon by The Houstonian, just three miles away from the hotel. The hotel even provided a free shuttle to get there and back, plus discounts to all guests in 2020 and gifts with treatments to hotel guests, according to the hotel.

In another case, Watson suggested another unlicensed therapist come to his suite at The Houstonian in July 2020, weeks before Texans training camp opened on Aug. 14, 2020. He first contacted this woman on Snapchat and saw the women for four sessions from July to September 2020, with Watson’s behavior getting “progressively worse,” including exposing himself, touching her with his genitals and ejaculating in front of her, according to her lawsuit.

Watson, 26, denies any wrongdoing, and two grand juries declined to indict him on criminal charges in 10 cases that were reported to police. But the 22 civil lawsuits march on separately and have proceeded to dig for evidence that still could affect his future even after getting a record contract with the Cleveland Browns worth $230 million guaranteed over five years. The NFL has said it is monitoring developments and could suspend him for a violation of it personal conduct policy.

“The fact that he went to such lengths to obtain massages tends to bolster the credibility of the plaintiffs,” said Kenneth Williams, professor at South Texas College of Law Houston. “The plaintiffs probably want the jury to think that a star NFL quarterback wouldn't have to go to such lengths to obtain a massage unless the massages were a pretext for something else.”

His attorney, Rusty Hardin, said Watson took to Instagram and social media to find massages because of his busy schedule and because “spas shut down” during the pandemic. In the case of The Houstonian, the famed spa there called Trellis Spa did shut down for much of that year because of a renovation project starting Feb. 2, 2020 – before the pandemic. But The Houstonian still wanted to make sure its guests and members could access these services. So it opened its sister spa, Solaya, that same month three miles away.

That spa and others were ordered closed during a pandemic shutdown ordered by the state governor in March 2020 but reopened in May 2020, after which all but only a few of the alleged incidents took place among the 22 women. In pretrial testimony, Watson “couldn’t say any place was shut down because of COVID,” Buzbee previously told USA TODAY Sports. “He didn’t reach out to any place that shut down. He didn’t even ask.”

Another attorney for the plaintiffs, Cornelia Brandfield-Harvey, recently told a judge at a hearing in Houston they were seeking evidence that shows Watson had a pattern and motive when scheduling these massages through social media – that it was to get sex and not just a massage, even if that desire wasn’t mutual. Brandfield-Harvey sought documentation from Watson of where he got massages in 2019 and 2020, how they were paid and any excerpts from his Texans contract in which obtaining massages was discussed.

“The burning question in the jury’s mind, I believe, will be why did he not use the facilities that were available” to him instead of looking for massages with people he didn’t know on social media, Brandfield-Harvey told the judge.

NFL DRAFT: Nine players for whom teams could trade up with early picks

MOCK DRAFT: Projecting more trades that could create first-round chaos

Despite an objection from one of Watson’s attorneys, the judge agreed to compel Watson to provide massage location history and payment information from late March 2019 to late March 2020, as well the massage information sought from his Texans contract.

Another recent court filing shows the plaintiffs also are seeking other documentation involving The Houstonian and another hotel. They filed a notice in court that shows they are seeking information from the Texans, including records of payments to The Houstonian for Watson, records of rooms at the Houstonian for use by players and any correspondence between the Texans and The Houstonian regarding Watson from 2019-2021.
It was not the only place this alleged misconduct occurred, according to the lawsuits. Other locations describe incidents at Watson’s house, the house of a woman’s mother and other incidents in California, Georgia and Arizona. Most happened in or near Houston from early 2020 to March 2021.

Hardin has said the women are lying, out for money and there were “sometimes consensual encounters.”

Citing hotel policy, The Houstonian said it does not provide information on customers and declined comment on Watson.

“Watson can argue he simply wanted a private place for a massage (and) did not want to go to a spa,’ said David Ring, a Los Angeles attorney who has represented sexual assault victims but is not involved in the Watson case. On the other hand, Ring called it “highly suspicious conduct.”

“This evidence could be used to show that Watson’s plan was to lure a masseuse to the hotel under the guise of a massage, when his real intention was to engage in sexual activities,” Ring said.

The hotel also came up several times during a pretrial deposition in February for Watson’s marketing manager, Bryan Burney, who testified he sometimes arranged to get hotel rooms for Watson to have massages.

“Where would you get these rooms for him?” Buzbee asked him. “Were they all at The Houstonian or different places?

“Mostly at The Houstonian,” Burney answered.

Buzbee circled back to it.

“When Deshaun Watson asks you, 'Hey, man, get me a room at The Houstonian; I want a massage,' how do you bill him for that, or do you?” Buzbee asked.

“I don't bill him because he had an account with The Houstonian, so there was nothing to bill him on,” Burney said.

Buzbee then asked if he knew how Watson found the women who provided him with massages on those occasions.

Burney said he didn’t know.

Watson is required to provide the massage history and location information by about May 6, according to the judge's ruling this month. Meanwhile, the cases might not go to trial until after February 2023 unless they are settled out of court before then.

B
Legend
Legend
B
but he’s bringing in women who aren’t even licensed in massage

That is a problem to me..why, oh why are these women going up to a mans hotel to give a massage if they aren't professionals...well, professionals in massage.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
It's impossible to have a legitimate conversation with you on this topic given your sig.

There was nothing illegitimate about my last post....

There may be a difference in the subject matter but otherwise there's no difference. When you say things for public consumption you should consider the consequences. DW stated he was innocent, would prove it in court and would refuse to settle with any of those women. Now if he does not measure up to those standards it will be used against him as it should be. However it won't be by many since we now live in a society where a person isn't held to the standards of honesty and accountability anymore.

You of course found some excuse to avoid discussing it as I thought you might. He made a public statement about his course of action. He made it public that he felt fighting all of these cases would prove his innocence. He'll either follow through with that or his actions will be viewed in the context of the statements he made public. He opened his mouth and inserted his foot. You know that's exactly how that will play out in the press and everywhere outside of blindly loyal Browns fans. You don't need to try and twist it into somehow being my fault or my sig. for a situation that watson created when he should have just been quiet about it. But I understand why you would attempt to do that.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I have always wondered why you would not first try to get the case tried in Criminal Court if you were truly the victim of an illegal crime. I always understood that going the route of Civil Court making sense after your case was either tried or rejected by a Criminal Court. Similarly, I have been somewhat skeptical if one chose to pursue their legal cases in Civil Court first.

I'm wondering how other posters feel about this as it pertains to Watson? I am most interested in hearing from posters who have taken a wait-and-see approach w/this case and have responded fairly and void of any bias. I don't really wish to hear from those who have already spent countless hours trying to convince others that Watson is guilty because I already know what they will say. Of course, I do realize they are the ones who will do most of the responding. LOL

The bottom line is I have always felt this way about Criminal and Civil cases. I just think if you were illegally victimized, using the Criminal Courts made the most sense while choosing the Civil Courts as your genesis seemed more about trying to collect a big payday. I am not sure if I'm justified in having that opinion. Would love to hear from some of you more rational and fair-minded folks on this topic.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 04/24/22 05:08 PM.
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Civil Court, is all about getting paid

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
O
Legend
Legend
O
I get it, and it wasn't intended as a put down...just more as a matter of fact.

I was agreeing with you. Then telling you it's all over. Pit can put that in his sig, I wouldn't just now.

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
B
Legend
Legend
B
I know you were. Maybe it was more of a message to him that I wasn't.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

That is a problem to me..why, oh why are these women going up to a mans hotel to give a massage if they aren't professionals...well, professionals in massage.

SO, should we blame the women?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Damanshot

SO, should we blame the women?

Maybe. You shouldn't just rule things out because they are females.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

I find this topic odd. Very few posters seem to have a problem with people who suggest, "They might all just be hookers". No problem with, "They are all just trying to extort money from watson". Or even the suggestion that "their attorney rounded them all up, came up with a story and they are all liars".

It seems attacking all of these women is no problem for far more posters than I would have ever imagined. At this point nothing surprises me.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
j/c

I find this topic odd. Very few posters seem to have a problem with people who suggest, "They might all just be hookers". No problem with, "They are all just trying to extort money from watson". Or even the suggestion that "their attorney rounded them all up, came up with a story and they are all liars".

It seems attacking all of these women is no problem for far more posters than I would have ever imagined. At this point nothing surprises me.

Looking at all possibilities in search of the truth isn't attacking. Attacking is calling someone guilty with no solid evidence.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yeah, all of these women doing those things is a "possibility". Pretty much like the possibility that horses fly.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Like/agree with it or not, that's where we're at right now.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Deshawn Watson News/Issues

Link Copied to Clipboard