Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by FATE
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
Does this mean NFL players no longer have access to an appeal process?

they do

Doesn't read like that at all...

"Thus, the Commissioner continues to have full and final say over all discipline under the Personal Conduct Policy. The Commissioner’s powers become short-circuited only if/when the Disciplinary Officer concludes that the player should experience no discipline. If any discipline is imposed, the Commissioner can change it in any way that he wants. With no appeal rights beyond that."

Per the most recent CBA, Roger Goodell no longer acts as the sole disciplinarian or has final say.

Former U.S. District judge, Sue Robinson will act as the judge/arbitrator in deteriming Watson's punishment, if any. https://www.fedarb.com/professionals/judge-sue-l-robinson-retired/

Lisa Friel is heading the investigation on behalf of the NFL. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_Friel

https://sports.yahoo.com/roger-good...s-personal-conduct-policy-014712381.html

1 member likes this: FATE
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Don't be surprised if it is 17-34 games.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog

It took quite an effort as there is no date on the chart and no date available by searching the link in at least two search engine... finally, I "inspected" the .pdf and it's from late 2014.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
O
Legend
Legend
O
You're right. That's how little I believe whatever happens will land on Berry.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by SuperBrown
Or 24 games for his 24 "possible" victims.

B
Legend
Legend
B
No way it is that long. 4-6 games.

I know some in here are hoping it is that long.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Originally Posted by Damanshot
I doubt I ever get over the method they employed to dump Mayfield.. I still think it was cheesey.. That's not likely to change. No matter what the seasons ahead may hold

Thats cool. I don't know what method had you irritated. The team moved on with a better option. At least what they felt was a better option. I guess only time will tell if that proves out or not.

To me it was pretty evident that it wasn't all roses between the two camps once we didn't extend him and exercised the 5th year option.

Bakers big mistake was not opting for surgery when he first got hurt, or shortly after. Yes, it probably helped in the sense it made him look tough and dedicated, but it didn't help him at all in getting another contract.

The METHOD of dumping a kid that wasn't horrible,,, They way they did it.. In other words... THE METHOD... What's so hard to figure out?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Or 24 games for his 24 "possible" victims.

I'm no fan of how this all came down... Also no fan of Watsons character either, But to hang Watson out to dry for that long for what is thus far unsubstantiated claims seems nutty.. I don't see that happening.. 6 or 7 games is my guess if any at all.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
V
Legend
Legend
V
Lisa Friel is heading the investigation on behalf of the NFL. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_Friel

This part of her bio worries me.

In her role as the NFL's special counsel for investigations she also oversaw the domestic violence investigation of Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott. In a lawsuit filed by the NFLPA, Friel is accused of withholding "critical information which would completely exonerate Elliott" in allegations of domestic violence.[10] Friel reportedly barred lead investigator Kia Roberts, who recommended no suspension for Elliott, from attending a meeting with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell where Friel recommended a six-game suspension for Elliott to Goodell and other NFL executives.[11] Friel was also accused of withholding evidence when she was implicated for prosecutorial misconduct in the alleged rape case of former New York police officers Kenneth Moreno and Franklin Mata.[10]

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
O
Legend
Legend
O
I appreciate the article posted. It was informative, but I couldn't help but chuckle about your sentence and then the first one in the article.

I know you are making a joke, but the process has changed. Here is an article about it.

Understanding the NFL’s new process for imposing discipline under Personal Conduct Policy

[...]

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

[...]

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
I doubt I ever get over the method they employed to dump Mayfield.. I still think it was cheesey.. That's not likely to change. No matter what the seasons ahead may hold

Thats cool. I don't know what method had you irritated. The team moved on with a better option. At least what they felt was a better option. I guess only time will tell if that proves out or not.

To me it was pretty evident that it wasn't all roses between the two camps once we didn't extend him and exercised the 5th year option.

Bakers big mistake was not opting for surgery when he first got hurt, or shortly after. Yes, it probably helped in the sense it made him look tough and dedicated, but it didn't help him at all in getting another contract.

The METHOD of dumping a kid that wasn't horrible,,, They way they did it.. In other words... THE METHOD... What's so hard to figure out?

Figure out what? They wanted another QB. How else should it have been done?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Milk Man
j/c...

This is quite the public call out by the Left Tackle. brownie

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: jfanent
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I would think that stating that the claims against Watson are unsubstantiated is a little bit of blind belief. Even the most livid supporter of Watson has to question why:

1) Watson was going outside the team for massages when the Texans had in house care available. Massage therapy is a key part of NFL players’ weekly recovery regimens. Many clubs have therapists come to the facility once per week, often on the Tuesday off day, setting up tables in a large room where players cycle through for treatment. The Texans have had a contract with Genuine Touch Massage Therapy since the team’s founding in 2002; the owner of the practice, Joni Honn, was listed in the Texans’ 2020 media guide as part of the sports medicine staff. She has a team of several therapists that players, including Watson, can also text directly for sessions away from the facility but Watson went outside for treatment.

2) The quantity of different therapists Watson appears to have used, as well as the lack of experience of some that he hired and the massage techniques he requested according to the civil suits, stand out as different from the experiences shared by his NFL colleagues. One person with close ties to the Texans says a member of the team’s medical staff, worried about increased risk of injury to the franchise quarterback, was concerned last year when they were told Watson was seeking out therapists on Instagram. Watson admits that he did not tell his trainer or anyone at the Texans about his private massage sessions.

3) An AFC defensive back said, “You always want to use somebody that has experience working on guys in your profession. You don’t want a person that doesn’t really know what they're doing. I don’t know guys who use 22 different masseuses.” If you count all 22 plaintiffs as having worked with Watson as well as a former plaintiff who dropped her suit “for now” (she cited privacy and security concerns, after the court ruled all women had to refile with their real names), the 18 therapists who issued statements in support of Watson through Hardin’s firm and other therapists who spoke to SI (and whose accounts were verified), Watson has worked with at least 44 therapists over the past year. However, Watson has reached out to way more than that 44 number and the actual number is surely much higher. It is a decent time to point out how bizarre it would be to hire this many people for massages in one year.

4) Seventeen of the 22 plaintiffs say in their lawsuits that Watson made first contact with them through social media, where they market their businesses. (The majority of plaintiffs also say they had never before worked on any Texans players.)

5) Deshaun wasn’t satisfied with spending his days off at his swanky six bedroom/five bath home on Legend Manor Drive in the upscale Royal Oaks Country Club subdivision. Maybe his pool with attached Jacuzzi just wasn’t his form of relaxing. Deshaun had an account at the Houstonian. He had his marketing manager prearrange to acquire rooms there for the quarterback usually on his practice days off. And the Houstonian Hotel is something else: part of the fight for pretrial evidence in the 22 civil suits against him. There are 22 women who have sued Deshaun accusing him of sexual misconduct during massage sessions. According to some of these documents, rooms at the Houstonian were used for some of these women to show up and give him massages. These same documents also state that the sexual misconduct occurred during his stays. The attorneys for the 22 women are now seeking documentation regarding the Houstonian including records of payments made to the hotel, which rooms were rented and duration of stay, and any correspondence between the Texans and Deshaun from 2019-2021 regarding the hotel.

6) A court filing by the plaintiffs resulted in a hearing several weeks ago. In that proceeding, the judge compelled Deshaun to provide detailed accounts of all massage treatments with payment information from March 2019 to March 2020. Currently, Deshaun is required to provide the courts with specific massage information with dates, therapists used with locations. He is to provide this information by May 6.

This story, though, is more complicated than the binary matter of innocence or guilt. There is the enormous power imbalance in a star athlete’s every interaction intersecting with the vulnerability of a role performed in the hidden corners of the sports world; the often misunderstood nature of what constitutes consent and the difference between what is inappropriate and what crosses a line legally. All of which play a role in how 22 women and Deshaun Watson arrived at this point.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
L
Legend
Legend
L

This part of her bio worries me.

In her role as the NFL's special counsel for investigations she also oversaw the domestic violence investigation of Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott. In a lawsuit filed by the NFLPA, Friel is accused of withholding "critical information which would completely exonerate Elliott" in allegations of domestic violence.[10] Friel reportedly barred lead investigator Kia Roberts, who recommended no suspension for Elliott, from attending a meeting with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell where Friel recommended a six-game suspension for Elliott to Goodell and other NFL executives.[11] Friel was also accused of withholding evidence when she was implicated for prosecutorial misconduct in the alleged rape case of former New York police officers Kenneth Moreno and Franklin Mata.[10]

That is concerning. Why would the NFL hire someone with those black marks on their resume?

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
M
Legend
Legend
M
I don't know the whole enchilada - but because it's on Wiki does not make it true and who knows if this is a biased/untrue or partially true take? I can't see any benefit for the NFL to be using anyone who has a tarnished history.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Six games... he wasn't reprimanded by the league between any of these incidences, was he? Then he's not a repeat offender.

saywhat

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by lampdogg
That is concerning. Why would the NFL hire someone with those black marks on their resume?

Because if you think the NFL is going to appoint someone that doesn't tend to favor the outcomes that end the same way they have conducted themselves before in terms of suspensions, then I think you are fooling yourself. It's great way to put a show on for the public that Goodell has given up control yet at the same getting the results he would have come to had he decided the issue himself. NFL suspensions are for public consumption and about the appearance of the brand. If anyone expected that the NFL would have put people in charge of this process that would have changed that I feel they're sadly mistaken.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Six games... he wasn't reprimanded by the league between any of these incidences, was he? Then he's not a repeat offender.

saywhat
#Facts

P
Legend
Legend
P
I guess if you look at it from a criminal court system where each time you commit the same crime the penalty increases you would be correct. But acting as if an independent body such as the NFL won't judge it as multiple incidents of the same infraction and punish it as such is wishful thinking. They may not in the end, but you do realize that each time you do the same thing over and over you repeated what you did in the first place, right?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by lampdogg

Why would the NFL hire someone they weren't certain was unafraid to see things as they feel things need to be seen?
They aren't hiring a person for Justice, they're hiring a person to handle public relations messes.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by mgh888
I don't know the whole enchilada - but because it's on Wiki does not make it true and who knows if this is a biased/untrue or partially true take? I can't see any benefit for the NFL to be using anyone who has a tarnished history.

I remember posting articles on here about how Friel barred the lead investigator, Kia Roberts, from testifying even though the latter said she had evidence Elliot was not guilty. Here is another article that may be slanted, but I think it might make the Wiki article more valid.

Ezekiel Elliott case: This isn't first time NFL's Lisa Friel was accused of withholding evidence

Charles Robinson
Charles Robinson·NFL columnist
September 1, 2017
In this article:

Ezekiel Elliott

The NFL Players Association’s lawsuit stemming from the investigation of Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott did not go unnoticed in at least two Manhattan high-rises on Friday.

Inside the NFL’s offices at 345 Park Avenue, executives were confronting allegations aimed at the league and investigation czar Lisa Friel, who (among others) stands accused in the union’s federal filing of concealing “critical information which would completely exonerate Elliott” in allegations of domestic violence. But in a law firm just six blocks away on Park Avenue, civil and criminal attorney Eric Sanders could muster only a disrespectful laugh. Only three years ago, Sanders tangled with Friel and others in a failed $175 million lawsuit. Among the allegations: Friel’s office failed to turn over evidence in a criminal trial involving his client.

“I’m not shocked at the allegations [against Friel],” Sanders said Friday. “… It sounds familiar.”

Ezekiel Elliott's appeal of a six-game suspension is in the hands of arbitrator Harold Henderson. (AP)
Ezekiel Elliott’s appeal of a six-game suspension is in the hands of arbitrator Harold Henderson. (AP)

Sanders’ stance isn’t a surprise. He has taken shots at Friel’s conduct as a prosecutor in the past, most notably when the NFL announced her hiring in 2014. After NFL commissioner Roger Goodell appointed Friel as the league’s top investigator, Sanders tweeted: “How can the @nfl hire Lisa Friel, she was implicated for prosecutorial misconduct in the Moreno alleged rape case?”

It was a bombastic tweet by Sanders that ultimately wasn’t supported by court decisions. But it reached back into one of the more eyebrow-raising moments in Friel’s career. A moment that saw her Manhattan Sex Crimes Unit controversially involved in an HBO documentary that would ultimately prompt allegations of withholding evidence from defense attorneys.

Friel was the head of the unit at the time in 2011, which was participating in a documentary relating to the group’s work. During the course of filming, two of Friel’s investigators were recorded discussing the active rape prosecution of former New York police officers Kenneth Moreno and Franklin Mata. While the footage never made it into the documentary, Friel’s office failed to turn the footage over to the defense prior to the investigators taking the witness stand, which could’ve been a violation of state law. Defense attorneys would later argue the footage could have been beneficial to their clients’ defense.

Moreno and Franklin were ultimately acquitted of the rape charges, but each was dealt prison sentences for official misconduct convictions. That’s where opposing lawyers attempted to seize on the documentary footage that hadn’t been provided to the defense. But attempts to overturn the misconduct convictions on the basis of concealing evidence ultimately failed, as appeals courts ruled the footage was immaterial and hasn’t illustrated prosecutorial misconduct.

Friel would step down from the Sex Crimes Unit in July 2011, after the evidence flap and rape acquittals. It has been reported by multiple outlets that she was asked to resign for a handful of reasons – among them engaging in the HBO documentary and also internal prosecutorial differences with her then-boss, New York County district attorney Cyrus Vance.

The NFLPA is questioning the conduct of NFL executive Lisa Friel, pictured here in 2014, in her handling of Ezekiel Elliott's suspension. (AP)

Whatever the reasons, she was eventually targeted by Sanders, who filed a $175 million lawsuit against the district attorney’s office, HBO, Friel and multiple district attorney staffers stemming from the handling of the Moreno case. The suit ultimately ended in failure, but Sanders remains adamant on one point: Friel’s office failed to turn over what he believes is untold raw footage from the documentary that might have been beneficial to Moreno’s defense. And Sanders says Friel will always bare responsibility for that.

“She was the main prosecutor,” Sanders said. “It was her office. Sex Crimes was her office. That was her responsibility. She was intimately involved. She can’t push it off to the underlings. She was the supervisor. She had direct involvement in that prosecution.”

Whether the past incident speaks at all to the Elliott case is debatable. But the NFLPA went directly at Friel with a damning allegation: that she withheld key conclusions of Kia Wright Roberts, the lone NFL investigator to interview Elliott’s accuser Tiffany Thompson. Roberts testified that she produced a memo raising questions about Thompson’s credibility and ultimately didn’t feel there was corroborating evidence to support Thompson’s claims or to suspend Elliott.

The league denies the NFLPA’s allegations and says all of the evidence, including Roberts’ analysis, made it into the hands of NFL commissioner Roger Goodell. The players union is ready to argue otherwise, suggesting that Friel and others conspired to conceal evidence that would help Elliott’s case. Somewhere in that space is the truth. And unquestionably, Friel’s reputation is tied to it. For now, an NFL spokesperson told Yahoo Sports that she will not be made available for comment.

Sanders has been down this road and lost. He still disputes that the withheld documentary footage was irrelevant to his client’s case and believes Friel’s Sex Crimes Unit acted inappropriately. And he says that his loss shouldn’t stop anyone from questioning the motives of prosecutors who are in control of vital pieces of information.

“Prosecutors cover things up all the time,” Sanders said. “It’s just there’s never any recourse. Prosecutors do cover things up. It happens. It’s not about justice. It’s about winning. It has nothing to do with the public. It has to do with their own personal agendas and their egos.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/ezekiel-el...used-withholding-evidence-232701902.html

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by FrankZ
Originally Posted by jfanent
This may end the speculation soon though, the NFL isn't like SCOTUS taking 6 months to put out an opinion.

Josh Gordon disagrees.

Which time?

4:20

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: PrplPplEater
V
Legend
Legend
V
Here is an article about the NFLPA's action against Friel and the NFL in the Ezekiel Elliot case.

NFL commish Roger Goodell could become witness if Ezekiel Elliott case goes to court

Charles Robinson
Charles Robinson·NFL columnist
September 1, 2017
In this article:

Ezekiel Elliott

By accident or design, the NFL turned commissioner Roger Goodell into a material witness to a federal lawsuit that the NFL Players Association filed on Thursday. In comments to Pro Football Talk and NFL.com, league spokesman Joe Lockhart denied union allegations that the league engaged in a conspiracy to conceal evidence in the Ezekiel Elliott suspension case – adding that Goodell was aware of credibility concerns raised by lead league investigator Kia Wright Roberts.

Goodell’s level of awareness would be a key aspect of the federal lawsuit, particularly where it involves Roberts’ analysis. If the players union advances into litigation seeking to prove conspiracy claims, Goodell could be subject to a deposition, be compelled to turn over pertinent communications and testify under oath in federal court. That’s a significant development for the NFLPA, which in its initial finding alleged that Roberts expressed credibility concerns with Elliott’s accuser but later had that opinion concealed from Goodell and the league’s domestic violence commission.

Lockhart said that allegation is not true, squarely placing Goodell and the commission at the crossroads of a decision to suspend Elliott despite reservations from the lead investigator on the case.

“It’s categorically false that the information was kept from the commission,” Lockhart told Pro Football Talk.

League spokesperson Brian McCarthy echoed Lockhart’s statements to Yahoo Sports on Friday. Specifically that Goodell was fully aware of what Roberts had contributed to the investigation and made his decision after weighing all the analysis – including the reservations Roberts had expressed after interviewing Elliott’s alleged victim, Tiffany Thompson.

A league source told Yahoo Sports on Thursday that Roberts testified in Elliott’s appeal to having written a memo raising interview inconsistencies from Thompson, who has accused the running back of multiple acts of domestic violence. Roberts further testified that she was the only NFL investigator to speak with Thompson on six different occasions and determined there was insufficient evidence to corroborate her claims or suspend Elliott.

The NFLPA followed that testimony up by filing a lawsuit against the NFL on Thursday, alleging that NFL senior vice president of investigations Lisa Friel concealed Roberts’ concerns about Elliott’s accuser and engaged in a conspiracy to withhold information favorable to Elliott.

According to the union’s lawsuit, “Elliott and the Union were subjected to an arbitration process in which, among other things, there was a League-orchestrated conspiracy by senior NFL executives, including NFL Senior Vice President and Special Counsel for Investigations Lisa Friel, to hide critical information, which would completely exonerate Elliott.”

For all intents and purposes, the lawsuit was a preemptive strike aimed at vacating potential punishment upheld by arbitrator Harold Henderson, who is weighing information gathered at the appeal. If Henderson vacates Elliott’s six-game suspension, it’s believed the lawsuit will be withdrawn.

It is hoped by the Dallas Cowboys that Henderson will have his response to the arbitration by Monday, when the first practice week of the NFL’s regular season is slated to begin.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-commis...l-elliott-case-goes-court-183603666.html

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
I guess if you look at it from a criminal court system where each time you commit the same crime the penalty increases you would be correct. But acting as if an independent body such as the NFL won't judge it as multiple incidents of the same infraction and punish it as such is wishful thinking. They may not in the end, but you do realize that each time you do the same thing over and over you repeated what you did in the first place, right?

"“Repeat Offenders” – Players who have had previous violations of law or of this policy may be
considered repeat offenders. When appropriate, conduct occurring prior to the player’s association with
the NFL will be considered."

Is Watson a repeat offender? Nope.

Just interpreting the law of the land, definitions, and corresponding punishment as outlined by the NFL. This is agreed on as part of a CBA. Not sure how much they can change the rules on the fly.

Not going to wax philosophical or play "you see" for endless responses though, so don't bother.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I will only say that can be taken two different ways. If it is found that several violations of the same offense are found to have happened, the first one could be considered the first offense and everyone there after could be considered as repeating that same offense on multiple occasions. I have no idea which way they will look at that. It could go either way.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by mgh888

It simply defies common sense as to why the NFL would have her in a position such as the NFL's special counsel for investigations of alleged violations of the NFL's personal conduct code including "domestic violence, sexual assault, animal cruelty, blackmail, extortion, racketeering, disorderly conduct".

IMO, given her past history, any case the NFL would assign to her for investigation would "automatically" carry grounds for appeal based on her alleged past conduct.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Thinking that this should be considered a single offense is like saying a serial killer only killed once since he wasn't caught until the 20th murder. This is at a minimum 22 different occurrences over a 1-2 year period. I get that everyone is hopeful that the suspension is minimal because a Super Bowl is more important in their eyes but as of now until proved differently, there are 22 civil suits against Watson that should not be just pushed to the side because Cleveland needs him to play football. If the civil hearings rule against Watson and or solicitation charges are filed he should be charged to the fullest extent of the law and the NFL. 22 civil suits for a 6 game suspension will send the wrong message that it was ok what he did and the NFL doesn't care about women. This is a lose-lose here and if he gets off light it going to put the Browns in a very bad light - very bad.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
1 member likes this: oobernoober
Legend
Legend
Gotcha. I basically said as much in my original post you pulled the first quote from...

I could see the league saying (rightfully so, because it's true) that he was made aware that his actions were not welcome by several accusers and continued the same behavior. And since it is sexual behavior they may point out the continued behavior and tack on a couple games besides the six. That's about it though.

The way "crime and punishment" in the NFL seems to be written, any, and almost all, severe penalties are for "repeat offenders". I understand, fully, what you're saying, but he simply doesn't fall into that category because they haven't punished him before.

At the end of the day, their "code" also contains language that gives them leeway to stray from their guidelines at will anyway... so they'll judge and punish as they see fit. My quote above is basically my prediction, as anything can happen.

There's also this, which gives them as much power as they need to impose any punishment:

However, the NFL’s Personal Conduct Policy specifically states that “actual or threatened physical violence against another person” is expressly prohibited. The policy also says that NFL players are held to a higher standard, noting that “it is not enough simply to avoid being found guilty of a crime.”

But something like that would definitely get tested in another court of law if Deshaun or the player's union thinks the punishment is excessive. I'd put that over/under at about ten games.

Last edited by FATE; 05/17/22 05:04 PM.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I've said since this all went down I expect 10 games. No great rationale other than I expect the NFL will want the optics to look like they take this seriously.

As for Lisa Friel - I have no idea what the truth is. I do have an observation about Friel and Watson.

Many are claiming Watson is innocent until proven guilty. Many point to the decision by the Grand Jury not to prosecute as grounds to lean towards all the allegations being flase.

With Friel - she's been accused of things at least twice, but accused by the defendants lawyers who have a vested interest in casting shade on the judgements handed against their client(s). Friel has not been prosecuted. She has not been found guilty.

It seems that if posters want to give Watson the benefit of the doubt as he has not been prosecuted - but want to cast significant shade on Friel who is sort of in the same situation ... doesn't seem consistent. Not saying that's exactly what's going on, but the situation made me ponder.

I think the noise about Friel is concerning - but I don't understand how the NFL is still using her if these allegations have any substance. I think the allegations against Watson are concerning.

Last edited by mgh888; 05/17/22 05:21 PM.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I will only say that can be taken two different ways. If it is found that several violations of the same offense are found to have happened, the first one could be considered the first offense and everyone there after could be considered as repeating that same offense on multiple occasions. I have no idea which way they will look at that. It could go either way.

Do you think they would suspend Watson 8 to 11 seasons (132 - 176 games)? He has not had previous violations under the policy, this is a single incident for these purposes.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Albert Breer's Deshaun Watson claim offers major boost to Browns as reports emerge

By
Matt Baldwin

Published: 17 May 2022, 18:00
link

NFL insider Albert Breer has claimed that the Cleveland Browns could be set to play with Deshaun Watson this season despite his off-field issues.

The Cleveland Browns took an awfully big risk this offseason when they made the trade for Deshaun Watson, who is currently facing 22 civil lawsuits surrounding allegations of sexual assault and misconduct, something they were very much aware of when bringing him on board.

When you play as well as Watson has done in his NFL career, throwing for over 15,000 yards and 108 touchdowns across his four full seasons in the NFL, with 19 rushing touchdowns thrown in on top for good measure, you fall into the category of ‘worth the gamble’, knowing that there is plenty of upside for you to work on.

With a possible suspension hanging over him, it may turn out to be a waste of time for the organisation, but according to Breer, the Browns might be in the clear somewhat for the time being when it comes to the man who could very well be their next franchise quarterback.

What has Breer said?
Writing in his MAQB column for SI.com, Breer explained how the timing of NFL officials wanting to speak to Watson might provide something of a benefit for the team in the short run. He writes that:

“If the 22 lawsuits don’t reach resolution by July 1, the sides, and the court, have agreed to essentially press pause until the NFL season is over. And if there isn’t closure there, there will be those in the NFL office who argue to wait on issuing any sort of suspension.

“That opens the possibility Watson plays the whole year in 2022, and then perhaps deals with any consequence the league assesses him in ’23.”

All or nothing in 2022?

This might have just opened up the window that the Browns needed for this season. Having shown some promise in 2020 when they made the playoffs and won their first playoff game since 1994, bringing in someone with the talent of Watson could have been the catalyst to take them over the top.

That might have taken a stumble in 2022, but if as Breer claims, the punishment could be pushed to 2023 then that gives them all the incentive to go all out for this year, knowing that a punishment could be coming further down the line.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
M
Legend
Legend
M
Honestly all that does is move the bubble in the wallpaper. It leaves the situation over DW's head and the Browns all season. It leaves room for the lawyer representing the 22 women to drip "news" stories into the media cycle at any/all points through the season. Does nothing to move closer to closure.

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
2 winning seasons in 5 this is are window.

Legend
Legend
I don't understand how the NFL is still using her if these allegations have any substance.

Considering the NFL's history of dealing with Browns issues, they're using her because those allegations do have substance.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
It seems that if posters want to give Watson the benefit of the doubt as he has not been prosecuted - but want to cast significant shade on Friel who is sort of in the same situation ... doesn't seem consistent. Not saying that's exactly what's going on, but the situation made me ponder.

Who are these posters? I haven't seen one person say she should be in jail. I haven't seen one person say she should be punished. Meanwhile, there are posters who are openly campaigning for Watson to be severely punished while completely overlooking other things.

Btw--------the removal and lock-out of the lead investigator in the Elliot case is not an allegation. It actually occurred.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Who are these posters? I haven't seen one person say she should be in jail. I haven't seen one person say she should be punished. Meanwhile, there are posters who are openly campaigning for Watson to be severely punished while completely overlooking other things.

Btw--------the removal and lock-out of the lead investigator in the Elliot case is not an allegation. It actually occurred.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, I saw that and I understand. I wasn't angry or challenging you when I made my reply to you. I just wanted to set the record straight that I don't want the woman punished or removed because you know who will be around claiming that I did indeed say that.

Here's another thing to consider, having this woman be in charge could actually be a good thing for those who don't want Watson to be suspended. She was the one who reduced the suspension of the Giants' kicker and was accused of letting the police officers off lightly. I have no idea how she will rule. Either way, one group of people are going to be upset.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 05/17/22 06:54 PM.
M
Legend
Legend
M
""Either way, one group of people are going to be upset.""

Yes - the inclusion or employment of Friel by the NFL is a complete head scratcher and seems guaranteed to ensure more unrest and angst than otherwise.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Oooppps....I should have said "is" rather than "are."

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Deshawn Watson News/Issues

Link Copied to Clipboard